As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead: The Game] Available everywhere!

TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Games and Technology
wdlogo.jpg
The Walking Dead is a episodic video game based on Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic book series. The game was developed by Telltale Games. The game will consist of five episodes, with the first episode released on 24th April 2012. Kirkman has said that, unlike typical zombie games such as Left 4 Dead, it will focus more on characterization and emotion than action.

The game will feature cross-genre of both adventure and action, in which, like in the previous Telltale titles, the player must make use of inventory items and environment, however, unlike in them, the played characters will have limited time to do so and could die in the process. The game is told from the point of view of a new character named Lee Everett, who will be the only controllable character in the game. Lee will however be able to interact with the other survivors and his actions will influence the plot in particular ways (like, for example, at some point Lee will have to choose whom to save from the dead, and therefore by letting the other individual perish, some of the game plot will change, while other remains unchanged). In addition, some characters from the original comic book series have been confirmed to make cameo appearances in-game. They will be Glenn and Hershel. Players will be able to meet them before the plot in the comic book begins to take place.

The Walking Dead Game will be available on multiple platforms via PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X as well as iOS App Store (NOTE, Game will be released later on the iOS App Store)."

The game will be released in 5 Episodes with the following pricing: $5 per episode or $20 for the season pass (5 episodes).

http://youtu.be/u14YHB_u5D0

IGN has been the first to review it and gave it an 8.5/10, Check out the video review here:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223558p1.html

Official Game Site
http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/age_gate

Telltale Games Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/telltalegames

Telltale Games Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/telltalegames

The Walking Dead: The Game on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207610/

The Walking Dead: The Game on PSN
http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/the-walking-dead-ps3.html

The Walking Dead: The Game on XBL Market Place
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Walking-Dead/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111de

Triiipledot on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    8.5 is waaaaaay better than the Jurassic Park score.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is this out today on XBLA or tomorrow?

Also, Jurassic Park was awesome, damn the review scores!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I believe its out for both today, just purchased a $20 psn card at Gamestop. Gonna go for the Season Pass and hope for the best.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's also out on PC guys! I pre-ordered this in hopes of winning the cameo contest.

Unfortunately, I can't play it right away because my girlfriend is a huge fan of the series as well and wants me to wait. Or can I? :winky:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just love TellTale games!

Well, I also love anything zombie. Never read the books, but I love the TV show. At any rate, I am excite!

$20 season pass is awesome too, you get an episode for free!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    5 episodes at 22 dollars a pop?

or do you get the following episodes after you make the purchase?

edit: Guess I should have logged into steam. Ugh this is so tempting. Is there any info on who the writers were?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    I am at work and most of the review sites are blocked. Pretty pumped for this but had no idea it came out today. What do we know so far? Any coop modes? I see some vids with a pretty hefty intro sequence - is the whole game like that or does it turn to a more 3rdPS?

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I am at work and most of the review sites are blocked. Pretty pumped for this but had no idea it came out today. What do we know so far? Any coop modes? I see some vids with a pretty hefty intro sequence - is the whole game like that or does it turn to a more 3rdPS?

From reviews it sounds like mostly adventure staples blended with the occasional fight for your life against zombies. The coolest sounding thing about it is that there is apparently quite a bit of choice and people can live or die depending on your decisions. My high watermark for choice in games is The Witcher 2, but I'm hoping we get some tough decisions painted in lovely shades of gray here.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Having watched some of the preview videos, I'm kind of excited for the puzzles. The few that I've seen are solved with real-world logic (IE. Swapping battery contacts) rather than being some deus ex machina device that makes no sense outside the game's universe.

I am excite. This month and next are big TWD events. A new story arc has been officially started in the comic this month. The game just game out and next month we get two comic issues.

It's a good time to be a Walking Dead fan.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm a bit disappointed that TT has gone back to an episodic release schedule. I was actually very pleased with the way the released Jurassic Park all in one dose.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Any word on how frequent these episodes will be?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The game is not out for Xbox today, and I can't find any info on when its coming to Xbox anywhere. Super bummed.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options

Monthly, I believe.

So its NOT out on XBL today?

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Monthly, I believe.

So its NOT out on XBL today?

I mean, XBLA is usually Wednesday. It is sad, but true. :(

I might cave and get it on PC just because I don't want to wait.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Didn't know xbox wasn't out byet sorry about that! Will be getting my copy on PSN tonight.

• Options
    So it's really really good.

And I'm kinda getting attatched to these characters and don't want to get them killed. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ah man! Got my hopes up for nothin :(

Ah well, one more day wont hurt...

• Options
    edited April 2012

It will! That is why I might have it on 2 consoles. :-X

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, played through the first episode.

The two main issues I had with it were the audio quality (some voices are real soft, some real loud, and there was very obvious distortion and popping all over the place) and the inability to skip/speed through dialogue (you know, for repeats). Also, the voice acting is kind of garbage.

As an adventure game, it's fine I guess. The "puzzles" made sense and there were no cat hair moustaches to be seen. Then again, there were only two sequences you could really call a puzzle, everything else was straightforward and super linear "click everything on the screen" nonsense.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    How long are the episodes?

Was expecting more than a point and click adventure game, but if it's good I might check it out.

• Options
    I don't see this on PS3 either. Am I missing something there or is it just not out yet on PS3?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    How long are the episodes?

The first one is two, three hours.

• Options
    Is it worth the $5?

• Options
    Spend the five bucks and find out.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    $5 is way too much money for an episode of a game that is based off of an amazing comic no way!
    Can I buy just this episode on steam and not the whole set?

edit: NEVERRMMIINNND. Found it on PS3. BOUGHT!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I will say that as someone who watches the TV show but hasn't read the comics I really disliked the game's presumably more comic-oriented versions of the characters. Herschel is just wrong.

reVerse on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that TT has gone back to an episodic release schedule. I was actually very pleased with the way the released Jurassic Park all in one dose.

Episodic is better, because Telltale can and does take feedback into account for later episodes. By all accounts, Jurassic Park could have used some of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I will say that as someone who watches the TV show but hasn't read the comics I really disliked the game's presumably more comic-oriented versions of the characters. Herschel is just wrong.

No! Go away! :P

I wouldn't mind a game for the show as well. The more Walking Dead, the better.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Spend the five bucks and find out.

Planned on it, is it wrong to want his opinion since he's already played it?

As a fan of comics and show I can't wait to see how they show the characters.

• Options
    Welp! I'm stuck. At the motel section
    trying to ninja the zombies. I'm sure I've exhausted every possible dot on the screen, so I don't get what I'm supposed to do. I'm over by the truck, there's a weapon in there, seems the way forward, but... the door's locked, I can't break the glass, and there doesn't seem to be any other option (and I can't leave this area with the truck) so - any advice? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So I booted this up and came across an unfortunate bug almost immediately. Half the game seems to be invisible with graphics quality set to high. A couple comparison shots.

Low quality
    ?.png

High Quality
    ?.png

I'm only about an hour in, but I've enjoyed it so far.

• Options
    Welp! I'm stuck. At the motel section
    trying to ninja the zombies. I'm sure I've exhausted every possible dot on the screen, so I don't get what I'm supposed to do. I'm over by the truck, there's a weapon in there, seems the way forward, but... the door's locked, I can't break the glass, and there doesn't seem to be any other option (and I can't leave this area with the truck) so - any advice? :P
    When you're at the truck, look left. You can then sneak to the other car. It has stuff to do on it.

Also, make sure to pick up the pillow from near your starting position at the wall.

• Options
    So I booted this up and came across an unfortunate bug almost immediately. Half the game seems to be invisible with graphics quality set to high. A couple comparison shots.

Low quality
    ?.png

High Quality
    ?.png

I'm only about an hour in, but I've enjoyed it so far.

That seems like a driver/compatibility issue to me.

Drivers up to date? Do you have any global settings in your video card enabled? SLI? I've had very bizarre issues like this pop up that disappeared the moment I turned off SLI.

None of the p/reviews I've read have mentioned any bugs such as this one. That's not to say it isn't a bug, but I really suspect there's something going on with your setup in this case.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

According to the Xbox blog its not out tomorrow either. I have no idea what's up with the Xbox release.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    I just played through the first episode and wanted to share some of my thoughts (PC version):
    - The voices in a lot of parts need to be turned up, volume wise. The music is too loud in some parts and can drown out the dialogue.
    - I noticed some minor audio crackling and graphical glitching, but that could just be on my end only.
    - I live in GA so the names of towns and everything were 100% authentic, I thought that was pretty cool.
    - The only part of the episode I really liked was towards the end,
    the part in the Motel parking lot trying to get to the person stuck in the room
    . It was more interesting than "pick up object, hand object to NPC". The rest of it was okay. Story wise, I'm interested to see where it goes.

Overall, it's decent. TellTale's games don't really blow me away usually so I didn't expect much from this one.

• Options
    tardcore wrote: »
    I just played through the first episode and wanted to share some of my thoughts (PC version):
    - The voices in a lot of parts need to be turned up, volume wise. The music is too loud in some parts and can drown out the dialogue.
    - I noticed some minor audio crackling and graphical glitching, but that could just be on my end only.
    - I live in GA so the names of towns and everything were 100% authentic, I thought that was pretty cool.
    - The only part of the episode I really liked was towards the end,
    the part in the Motel parking lot trying to get to the person stuck in the room
    . It was more interesting than "pick up object, hand object to NPC". The rest of it was okay. Story wise, I'm interested to see where it goes.

Overall, it's decent. TellTale's games don't really blow me away usually so I didn't expect much from this one.

I am pretty sure during my 360 Jurassic Park play through I had the same audio issues. They really need to fix this shit in future releases.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed this first episode. I played it on PC with an Xbox controller and it was easy to control. This is a lot more like the comic than the show, so if you haven't read the comics it might seem a bit "off".

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for Telltale to release this on their own website. Why you gotta be given me that tough love Telltale?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Telltale to release this on their own website. Why you gotta be given me that tough love Telltale?

It's not up yet? :(

I pre-ordered it on their website because I assumed the pre-order contest wouldn't be available with any other method. Not just that, but it wasn't even on Steam at that time. Figures only a couple days later it pops up on Steam and the pre-order contest was available there too.

I hope this is up by the time I get home in about an hour.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beat it just a bit ago.

I just....I...I have to wait a month?! Bastards!

bYf6vNQ.png