As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War of the Roses: It's kinda like Chivalry with fewer decapitations

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I'm bad at games. This one, specifically.
    I even tried to respond to someone on the other team calling me a derp by chatting to my own team, proving his point. <facepalm>

Once I got hold of the crossbow I did marginally better. If a guy holds real still and isn't too far away, he could be in some trouble. :P

Laughed so hard. Because that's how I feel when I play games.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm bad at games. This one, specifically.
    I even tried to respond to someone on the other team calling me a derp by chatting to my own team, proving his point. <facepalm>

Once I got hold of the crossbow I did marginally better. If a guy holds real still and isn't too far away, he could be in some trouble. :P

Give it time, my first hour or so of playing yesterday I was getting pretty damn frustrated flailing around as a Footman. Wasn't until I unlocked Crossbowman I really started having some fun. Then as it so happens from having to defend myself from rushes I started to get a little better at melee fighting as well. Now today after the wipe I have been able to hold my own as a Footman even, and I tried out Longbowman and kinda loved it just because ARROW SPAM, even if I haven't really figured out how to consistently compensate for the drop yet.

If you're a newbie archer, keep an eye out for enemy archery and try to pick them off. They will damn sure do it to you. Yeah, it's possible for it to devolve into a "sniper duel" where neither of you really help the rest of your team, but it's good target practice anyway. Also look for chances to shoot guys who are bandaging/reloading/executing - you're not gonna get a more stationary target than that. Dirty, perhaps a little, but you ain't no knight, and they called this war "the death of chivalry" for a reason.

Remember you can bandage yourself when wounded even if you're not actually bleeding out. Do it a lot. Just duck behind a corner or boulder for a moment's peace when you do so.

If you get rushed, keep your targe up and try to backpedal into the area of friendlies. Attack only opportunistically, try to wait for openings after the foe takes a swing. If you're on a castle or urban map, don't hesitate to jump off of a roof to make a quick escape. As far as I can tell it won't hurt you to just jump down one story or so to the street or a lower level.

If you're playing a class with the rush ability (IE not an archer), don't forget to use it. I am not that great at utilizing it offensively, but the good melee players I have seen use it a lot to dodge out of tight spots.

Also (regardless of class) never pass up a chance to revive a fallen comrade if you can do it safely. It's lots of free XP, and your teammates will thank you (or should). I'm shocked how little reviving I've seen happen so far.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait, Longbowman has a shield? Mine just pulls out his sword, no shield. I really need to practice defending in hand to hand as an archer. I suck at that. Shooting though I am getting pretty good. I'm decent at judging the angle for distance, still working on adjusting angle if I'm above my target.

Also I've discovered that Longbowmen have a limited number of arrows that respawn slowly. Only just figured this out since I survived so long just firing arrow are arrow into a big fight.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Hit 4 and he'll pull out a shield. Now why the crossbowman doesn't have this issue is beyond me.

Bolts respawn at the same rate, it's just the crossbow can't fire them fast enough to really run out while the bow can.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The biggest lesson I learned so far has been stay with your team. At first I adopted the "let's get 'em fellas!" approach to melee, and didn't much bother to check if anyone was behind me during the rush. That will get you killed pretty consistently.
    Once I stayed with the pack I was able to dart out to slash engaged enemies in the back, and shoot at other archers, which went better.

I'm having a hell of a time landing blows in melee, though. My timing and judgement are in need of serious work. As a Mount & Blade veteran, I expected more of the combat experience to transfer, but each game has it's own feel that takes some adaptation.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Hit 4 and he'll pull out a shield. Now why the crossbowman doesn't have this issue is beyond me.

Bolts respawn at the same rate, it's just the crossbow can't fire them fast enough to really run out while the bow can.

Awesome thanks. Did not know that about the shield. I'm really liking the skill needed to actually be good with a longbow. Feels really good when you get a headshot. I want to rank up till I can make a custom one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I am starting to put together some good rounds as a Longbowman.
    ?.jpg
    ?.jpg
    ?.jpg

That last was in a ridiculously close battle, we won like 100 to 96.

• Options
    You are a better archer than me. Not by much though :p

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is the beta just multiplayer?

I loved M&B, and while I would like to take advantage of the steam offer, I'm only really interested in the single player aspect.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Is the beta just multiplayer?

I loved M&B, and while I would like to take advantage of the steam offer, I'm only really interested in the single player aspect.

Is this game ever supposed to have a single-player aspect? :? o_O

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Posts on page 1 said it did, but after page 2 it just started focusing on the multiplayer. So there's no news on it having single player at all? ohwell

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Eh, the store page writeup doesn't mention it at all as far as I can see.

• Options
    Thanks. Guess I'll hold off and see what the retail release is like.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    I bought this.

I am pleased.

It's intensely fun.

Although, the barriers for the unlocks are a bit silly...the levels come a little to slow to be requiring level 56 for basic gear.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    If your looking for a single player game, I'd look else where

I think the single player portion is mainly going to be a tutorial.

Slashing people has never been so fun. I find 1v1 combat to be exciting especially when you both suck and are circling for a bit. Then BAM first blow lands and you get that scent of blood.

The unlocks are a bit of a drag, but I honestly have fun with a base level guy with all the speed perks. Go hunting for archers/bowmen

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    I'd rather the basic weapons unlocked at way lower levels and then the stuff like fighting styles and metal types unlocked higher.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I'd rather the basic weapons unlocked at way lower levels and then the stuff like fighting styles and metal types unlocked higher.

I agree, it'd be nice to have one of each weapon unlock so you can figure out what play style your going for. Sword are fun but I'd like to try some of the other weapons

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Maybe there'll be enough feedback on the issue that they lower the level requirements by an order of magnitude. I don't mind the gold requirements being a thing that forces the choice and restriction, but level locks and secondary locks suck and are stupid.

Otherwise: Awesome game. I'm confident it has a long life a head of it.

• Options
    Did they raise the level of the archer perk? Before you could buy the perk but not actually get a bow until much later.

• Options
    It's level 9.

Plate armor is level 15.

A Barbute is 36.

There is no logic.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm something going on now where instead of the round finishing correctly it just dumps you back to the menu. Been happening repeatedly on every match I've tried. No Xp or coin earned. And these have been some amazing matches for me. This last one I spawned and fired ten arrows. All ten were either a head shot or just just an enemy. In a row. I was on fire.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So I finally got a chance to try this today, and I got a few multiplayer games under my belt. The combat felt a little clunky, but I can chalk up a lot of that to me not really knowing what I'm doing. Still, it felt like everything from player movement to sword swings needs to be sped up to feel natural.

But the menus, oh god the menus. I have never played a multiplayer game where it was so unintuitive to spawn. It seemed like everytime I died, it required some magic voodoo combo of buttons to respawn. I'd get to the "select spawn point" screen, then it was like its own minigame figuring out how to spawn. I had the best luck with Esc->Enter->Enter->Left Click, but that was no sure thing. Would a giant button that said "Spawn" be an unreasonable request? And I just gave up if we started a new game. I could select my class, then... nothing. I could faceroll every button on the keyboard and nothing would happen. Had to leave 2 games because I couldn't make the menu go anywhere.

The fighting itself was fun, but overall that was not a positive experience.

Edit: Ok, someone needs to help me out here. When a game ends and the next one starts, how to you get past the profile editor? All I see are a list of classes, but no matter what I click or push, nothing happens.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    What in the christ did they do to the upgrade system?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    So I finally got a chance to try this today, and I got a few multiplayer games under my belt. The combat felt a little clunky, but I can chalk up a lot of that to me not really knowing what I'm doing. Still, it felt like everything from player movement to sword swings needs to be sped up to feel natural.

But the menus, oh god the menus. I have never played a multiplayer game where it was so unintuitive to spawn. It seemed like everytime I died, it required some magic voodoo combo of buttons to respawn. I'd get to the "select spawn point" screen, then it was like its own minigame figuring out how to spawn. I had the best luck with Esc->Enter->Enter->Left Click, but that was no sure thing. Would a giant button that said "Spawn" be an unreasonable request? And I just gave up if we started a new game. I could select my class, then... nothing. I could faceroll every button on the keyboard and nothing would happen. Had to leave 2 games because I couldn't make the menu go anywhere.

The fighting itself was fun, but overall that was not a positive experience.

Edit: Ok, someone needs to help me out here. When a game ends and the next one starts, how to you get past the profile editor? All I see are a list of classes, but no matter what I click or push, nothing happens.

Things like team selection and spawnpoint choice are locked 'til the last ten seconds on the countdown before a match. So they helpfully give you a full minute to sit there & reflect on how badly you did the round before. I'd guess that this time is meant to be used by those people that have unlocked custom classes, so they can tweak their gear, but I honestly don't know why they'd lock everything down like that. Maybe a bug? Anyway, very frustrating, like you say.
    And yeah, having to select your spawn point every single time you croak is annoying. 99.9% of the time you want to go back to the same spot you spawned at last time, there should be a button for it. Or the select spawn point button and spawn button should at least occupy the same real estate on screen, so you can just mash LMB a few times to get back in.
    I'm hoping/expecting these things to be ironed out with the full release.

In other news, I'm still awful at combat. And shooting.
    But I've developed my natural talent for catching arrows and axes with my face. :P
    If they add cannons to the game, I'd be the fodder.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I played this for the first time ever last night; unlocked foot knight right before bed.

Hells. Yes.

If you just click the "Spawn" button in the lower-right-hand-corner, you'll spawn at your last-selected spawn point. (Or, rather, you'll appear there in ghost form and then get the option to left-click to actually spawn.)

• Options
    New patch downloaded though they are updating the servers and should be back up at 17:00 UTC. Thursday update is more unlock tweaks.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I played this for the first time ever last night; unlocked foot knight right before bed.

Hells. Yes.

If you just click the "Spawn" button in the lower-right-hand-corner, you'll spawn at your last-selected spawn point. (Or, rather, you'll appear there in ghost form and then get the option to left-click to actually spawn.)

That's odd... I wonder if that was fixed with the latest patch? When I was playing I had to click "select spawn point" first, then the "spawn" button would show up. That's good that it's fixed. Now if we can just choose our stuff while the new match timer runs down, that's all the fixing I'd want.
    Oh, and to be able to alt-tab properly - when I do that and come back to the game, my windows taskbar stays visible at the bottom of the screen. Beta is beta. <shrug>

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hrm - maybe I had to click "Select Spawn" and then "Spawn," but in any case it always defaulted to my last-picked point.

And yeah, last night I had to wait in between matches to pick my loadout, but I always had enough time to pick before the match started.

• Options
    Seems like it is actually finishing matches now. Which is good since I just had a game with a seven kill streak with the longbow. Going to just save up all my money till I can get a custom longbow and spend it all on perks.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Is this the sort of game where if I can't find the time to buy and play it until after November, I might as well just sit it out because timspork's ghost is going to maul me to death with his longbow before I can do anything to level up and gain access to better classes and weapons?

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »
    Is this the sort of game where if I can't find the time to buy and play it until after November, I might as well just sit it out because timspork's ghost is going to maul me to death with his longbow before I can do anything to level up and gain access to better classes and weapons?

If you get in close to me I'm basically screwed. I suck at hitting close range people. Or better yet always play Yorkshire. I always try to, then I won't have to stab your skull with my arrows.

I did murder a knight with my knife because I hit the wrong key. Thing swings so fast the guy couldn't get a hit on me.

So now I'm getting booted back to the menu in the middle of matches... :(

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Jesus. 97 yard headshot against a bowman on a roof. I think I figured out distance aiming. Nice that it told me the distance.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I noticed since the newest patch running the game in fullscreen makes the game's text go totally fuckered and stuff just doesnt work properly, buttons disappear and such. Weird didnt happen before. Wish i had access to their beta forum.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited August 2012

If you get in close to me I'm basically screwed. I suck at hitting close range people. Or better yet always play Yorkshire. I always try to, then I won't have to stab your skull with my arrows.

I did murder a knight with my knife because I hit the wrong key. Thing swings so fast the guy couldn't get a hit on me.

I meant more like, is all this custom stuff people are talking about unlocking going to be game-breaking for people who haven't unlocked any of it yet?

Jesus. 97 yard headshot against a bowman on a roof. I think I figured out distance aiming. Nice that it told me the distance.

It'd be nice if it went "BOOM er, um, THUMP! Headshot!"

SammyF on
  • Options
    I think it's pretty much guaranteed to unlock crossbowman after your first match so you only need to do one round as just a piddling footman (which if you master can still be pretty useful) before you can start the joys of range combat.

• Options

I meant more like, is all this custom stuff people are talking about unlocking going to be game-breaking for people who haven't unlocked any of it yet?

It'd be nice if it went "BOOM er, um, THUMP! Headshot!"

Nah. It would take a long time to buy even the same perks as the preset classes. I've been solely using the default Longbowman and doing very well for myself.

However spears... Holy shit those things need to be looked at getting full out murdered in one hit, not just taken down, but insta killed. Nothing you can do to defend against them.

• Options
    These spears you mention... are they as long as a man?

• Options
    These spears you mention... are they as long as a man?

They are pretty long. I usually die before I can measure them.

Also I wish there was a perk that allowed two main weapons. I was just reading that at Agincourt many of the English Longbowmen were equipped with pole handled warhammers as a backup to their bows since they could use their massive upper body strength to just crush knights' heads.

• Options
    Unlocked archer at lvl 9 and got the crossbow. There are as many customization stuff on it as a sword. Get arrow type, winch type and something that keeps it loaded when not in use. Got the winch that is one click on the active reload but super tiny to hit.

• Options
    Yeah, they supposedly nerfed the spear in the last patch (the first day I played bitching about it was like 75% of chat conversation), but I am still getting bled-out from one hit from it as a footknight somtimes...