As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War of the Roses: It's kinda like Chivalry with fewer decapitations

123457»

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    For those of you with the game, could you elaborate a little bit on how the customization etc. affects the gameplay? I'd be especially interest in weapon customization, fighting styles(I presume italian and german schools are represented, maybe the english one too?), and so forth? I've had difficulty finding info on this aspect of the game.

Well, what you wear and what you use dramatically affects everything. Armor is realistic insofar as hitboxes go. Plate armor will be extremely sturdy and protect you from most blows - but it's susceptible to blunt and piercing weapons, and even slashing weapons will do damage if someone manages to get a hit in a sectioned area (like the neck if you don't have the armet wrapper on your helmet).

As far as weapon stuff goes, you can use a variety of different things on them like edge grind, forging type (type of steel), choosing other materials, balancing the pommel, etc. There's the regular fighting style, the imperial fighting style, and milanese. Milanese is faster with less damage, Imperial is slower with more damage, normal is normal. It doesn't seem to change your attack animations, which I think is deliberate because they put a lot of work into making the animations and hitboxes as precise as possible.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh, what a shame. It's cool that they included them anyway. Imperial(german) and Milanese(italian) styles would be quite different animation wise, so it's understandable that implementing them in full would be terribly taxing.
    Edge grinds and materials and stuff sounds like a lot more customization than I expected.

Just one more thing, how's the hit detection? Say, shooting an arrow through the eyeslit is still possible, or is it more akin to probabilities instead of such exact hitboxes?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Oh, what a shame. It's cool that they included them anyway. Imperial(german) and Milanese(italian) styles would be quite different animation wise, so it's understandable that implementing them in full would be terribly taxing.
    Edge grinds and materials and stuff sounds like a lot more customization than I expected.

Just one more thing, how's the hit detection? Say, shooting an arrow through the eyeslit is still possible, or is it more akin to probabilities instead of such exact hitboxes?

yes, hitting someone in the face/eyes is necessary if you want a guaranteed kill when it comes to archery. there are pretty specific hitboxes, although putting an arrow through an eye slot on a visor that's pulled down is basically impossible. the hitboxes on weapons and armor are done really well, even though there's a few people saying they are off - they aren't, most weapons other than swords just have small areas you can actually hit with, so you can't just mash attack and win. i had someone repeatedly try to hit me with his mace, striking me with the haft each time and not the head, and then after I killed him he complained about hitboxes and said that he "hit me so many times."

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Haha, that's great! Sounds like some people don't get that this approach seems to aim for a degree of realism then. Obviously the damaging bit on the sword is larger than on a spear or a poleaxe or something.

Sounds pretty good, although I have to wait for a sale on this. Definitely goes up on my list though.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It's rare but I have been insta-killed by arrows with my visor down. Still, it's better to just get in two body shots than risk it bouncing off the helmet and have some counter-sniping going on. Though you do get a satisfying Headshot announcement when you do it with a bonus 100 xp/100 gold whether it kills or not.

What quarrels/arrows do people use? I chose barbed since it seems to be a nice balance of damage and bleeding on penetration but if I wanted to do more foot soldier/foot knight hunting do the blunt arrows give a significant increase in damage?

Been loving the zoom in archery perk. I forget what the claustrophobic city map's name is but I got to go up on the bell tower and just snipe away without a care in the world.

Karoz on
  • Options
    The good thing about counter-sniping other archers is that many archers wear open faced helmets and that makes for an easy instant kill, especially with how little crossbow bolts drop. I always wear an armet with the visor down when playing my crossbowman.

I use armor piercing since heavy armor is so prevalent right now. I might try out the bolts that cause bleed later on. I don't use Safety or the other one that increases bolts because I don't think they are worth the encumbrance .

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Getting kind of sick of people in plate armour and two handed swords. The latter are kind of ridiculous right now.

• Options
    the two handed sword is bugged right now, in that parrying it does not throw the user off guard to allow for a counter attack, so they can just keep spamming left click. It's frustratingly difficult to counter. It would be fine if not for that.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    the two handed sword is bugged right now, in that parrying it does not throw the user off guard to allow for a counter attack, so they can just keep spamming left click. It's frustratingly difficult to counter. It would be fine if not for that.

This happened to me the other day and it was infuriating. Also, whenever I did connect with a block, it would break my block as if he had hit me with a full power attack. They could keep attacking faster then I thought possible with full, block breaking power attacks? At first I thought hax.

It is really a known bug?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I can't figure out whether I am good or bad at this game. A few games ago I fought a 1 vs 6 battle for 8 minutes before succumbing, and killed three of the attackers in the process. A game ago a crossbowman killed me in melee with little difficulty.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »

This happened to me the other day and it was infuriating. Also, whenever I did connect with a block, it would break my block as if he had hit me with a full power attack. They could keep attacking faster then I thought possible with full, block breaking power attacks? At first I thought hax.

It is really a known bug?

Yes, it's a known bug. Hopefully to be fixed, soon. As far as breaking your block, are you talking about your parry? If so, he probably has the perk for it, as most of the scottish sword spammers use that perk that forces you to have to adjust your parry every time.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    nightowlnightowl Registered User new member
    Can anyone tell me what the server situation in Australia is like? Heard that the developers more or less locked themselves into just one provider.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    I'm playing in Australia and there's a decent handful of AU servers that are regularly populated. I haven't really had any noticeable lag issues, a couple of dropouts but I think everyone's had that? Sometimes a bunch of the servers are full but there's always been a couple of lower populated ones around.

I'm starting to understand the two handed sword hate, the last server I was in was rife with dudes spamming it. It's also great when teammates using it come to steal a 1v1 kill and hit me with a bunch of collateral at the same time.

Unlocked the mace and had some fun with it tonight. I flanked a three man archer squad and clobbered the shit out of them, so satisfying when it connects.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I've been having some mild success with a Legolas-inspired build. The idea is to draw and fire my arrows incredibly fast at close to mid ranges (screw those immobile archers in the distance; I'm not a conformist!). I went 19-1 with it last night, in fact. I'm not entirely set on which bow and perks to use, though. I'm currently using the perks that let me ready and draw arrows faster, but I'm wondering if I should remove one for the movement while aiming perk. Decisions, decisions.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You son of a bitch, I was getting worked by similarly mobile CQ archers last night. Really struggled to close the gap between my mace and their face without becoming a pin cushion. I need to put some time into archery so I'm not completely left in the dust... I feel like I can gauge the drop ok, but leading targets when they're dancing back and forth has been a nightmare.

I'm a bit confused about encumbrance and movement speed. I changed my one-hand/shield build to all light armour (from medium) and didn't really notice a difference. Is there a gradient to possible movement speed, or are there specific speeds dictated by weight thresholds?

Spent this evening weening myself off the shield for defence, and as it turns out parrying feels really goddamn rewarding. Still only using one handed weapons, but wasn't getting completely decimated by the two hand spammers.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Is this game as slow and cumbersome as Warband? Or is it just simply what Warband "should be"?

• Options
    If you think Warband is slow and cumbersome (it's not) then you will not like this.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I got into a great rhythm last night with my 2h axe (not the executioner axe, the other one) and the spiked bill (I think thats it, whichever is faster - the 2hander, not polearm). Had numerous 15-20k+ games, top rank, etc. I'm not bragging, just happy. The game is kinda tough at first, but once you can finally afford to customize the builds and weapons it flows a lot better. I'm not level 20 with like 40k gold to spend. I was thinking of setting up a shield guy, but honestly I do really well smashing people with the 2handers. I love breaking shields! :) But at the same time, that shield bash spam is really annoying - so I want to try it out for myself.

I could setup a cavalry knight as well, but the mounted combat doesn't feel as good as it did in M&B - but I could just be remembering it differently. Seems like it's pretty hard to hit people with a non-lance weapon while mounted, and I don't really want to do lances. Horse archers would be cool (not implemented atm), but super annoying at the same time.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Played a ton of this during the weekend.

2h Sworders are actually not that bad. The worst things are the people who know how to use the bills well. Though they usually wear medium or light armor to maneuver better, so they're cooler than the 2h Sworders.

I mainly used the Poleaxe. Very satisfying being able to switch between the hammer, axe, and spear heads depending on the situation.

Made good use of my Warband experience to turn my character with my hitboxes. I was facing my character straight into the ground so my Poleaxe head would hit enemy characters faster with overhead swings, but sometimes I'd end up focusing a teammate because I couldn't see their name. Oops.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    You son of a bitch, I was getting worked by similarly mobile CQ archers last night. Really struggled to close the gap between my mace and their face without becoming a pin cushion. I need to put some time into archery so I'm not completely left in the dust... I feel like I can gauge the drop ok, but leading targets when they're dancing back and forth has been a nightmare.

I'm a bit confused about encumbrance and movement speed. I changed my one-hand/shield build to all light armour (from medium) and didn't really notice a difference. Is there a gradient to possible movement speed, or are there specific speeds dictated by weight thresholds?

Spent this evening weening myself off the shield for defence, and as it turns out parrying feels really goddamn rewarding. Still only using one handed weapons, but wasn't getting completely decimated by the two hand spammers.

The infantryman perk allows you to use a tackle ability to cover long distances in short time. You may have noticed some players using this ability to escape a melee when they're getting their shit wrecked.

• Options
    I really dislike the tackle ability. Seems odd having a dash with no acceleration curve in a game focused on building momentum. It looks dumb as hell, too - especially when someone in heavy armour bolts away Benny Hill style.

I can see merit in a shoulder barge, but I feel they need to either reduce the distance or give it acceleration time.

Enough of my petty gripes though, game is still fun as shit. I'm gnawing my knuckles at work thinking about it.

Lancaster for life, dawg.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I want to play this game with other people, can I get an invite to the steam group? Is that how that thing works? I tried to join, but nothing happened.

I first started playing this game and being immersed, then I started thinking about game mechanics, then I went back to just being immersed and not caring about score... I like it better that way, and I do better when I play like that as well.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    I'm one of the odd ones out playing in AU servers, so I'm not much good to you I suspect.

Speaking of the AU servers, they've all been disappointingly cesspool-ish in player maturity. How are the US servers in comparison?

I'm definitely trying to play the game for immersion rather than score, maps like Barnet (sun setting on fields) lend such great atmosphere. Distant silhouettes duking it out everywhere you look... truth told I probably play better when I'm immersed like that.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    oh snap I didn't even know there was a steam group already. I need to get in on that for more friends.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I'm pretty surprised at how little attention this game is getting in the PA forums, it's pretty damn fun multiplayer action. I just saw Chivalry is out too, I wonder how that stacks up.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Yeah, neither of them are getting that much attention which is pretty sad, they're both quite fun, but very different. I figured more people would hop on the bandwagon since Medieval games like this aren't common, but you know how fickle and cheap most Steambabies are. When they go on sale I'm sure more people will play.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I think people are usually super reluctant to buy multiplayer only games because they're afraid the community will die, so then the community dies and nobody wants to buy the game. See: Lead & Gold, Shattered Horizon, Bloody Good Time. It seems like you either need coop or single player to get people on board (Killing Floor, Payday, Left 4 Dead, Mount & Blade) but even that isn't always enough to save the game from multiplayer death (Santcum, Aliens vs. Predator).

• Options
    Tried a few rounds of Chivalry last night and it was fun, but I think I still prefer WotR. The fine hit detection and damage calculations are so key.. I felt less in control in Chivalry. I also think WotR has nicer art direction overall.

But it's fun having a first person variant, and Chivalry has some really neat touches. The blood looks (and sounds) wet, and they do some nice reverb treatment on distant VO to give a sense of scale to the battles. Lopping off heads is great, but that goes without saying.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'm really digging this game. Love sending arrows into people's faces, and once I get the hang of parrying and blocking, melee looks promising too.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I haven't played this game in a week. I've unlocked everything I've wanted and customised my classes to my liking. plus I've whittling down my pile of shame.

But I still had a dream about this game last night. I'd somehow taken perks that left me with a single notch active reload for my crossbow. It was horrible!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    It's taken me a while, but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this game. Less derp, more murder. I don't top the server or anything, but tonight at one point I fought 3 people at once... and won.
    I was probably as surprised as they were. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    Hey, I got the game during the free weekend, and have been enjoying myself for the most part. However, I just started trying to use polearms (specifically the hospitaller pollaxe) and I can't get a hang of the range. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good duel servers where I could practice using it (also, does anyone else feel like plate armor isn't that useful?).

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    To all owners of War of the Roses you can now download and play the pre-sequel War of the Vikings Alpha on Steam.

Looks to be some nice improvements though whether they are already in WotR I'm not sure since I haven't played lately. Giving the game some more Chivalry-esque attributes like a sprint button, stamina and the like.

Just remember Alpha is Alpha.