As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Installing Dungeon Keeper 1.

AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a hankering for some evil doings, and decided that it's been a while since I've ventured into the Keeper's Realm. Last time I tried to install it with DOS Box it was a disaster, and while I was able to run it the game was in such low resolution that I couldn't tell what was going on.

Is there a quick and easy way to get a good resolution of this game going? I'm thinking about buying it from GoG but I hear that this is the same low resolution version. Thanks in advance!

2.jpg
3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
Agahnim on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Edit your DOSBox configuration file (it's in the Start Menu under "Edit Configuration") and change "Scaler" to "normal" (or anything other than none) so it will scale up.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You can also probably find a "pre-tuned" DOSBox config for DK1 if you Google search. People post their DOSBox configs for specific games and post them quite regularly.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rather than looking for a pre-made config file, you might want to just try using one of the DOSBox frontends so you can set everything in an actual GUI-- you know, just pick options by clicking instead of messing around in the config file. The one I'm using at the moment is DOSBox Game Launcher but I used to use DOSShell (which I hadn't started using again when I last looked into this stuff because it hadn't been updated I think, but now it's up-to-date), which is probably a simpler interface for you to use from what I remember. These are both linked from this larger list of frontends on DOSBox's wiki, so you can pick whatever you like. The basic idea is they keep a list of the games you add to them (just point them at the EXE for the game wherever you installed it) and let you easily configure their settings per-game, but they all have different ways of going about it. You can totally set the game to run at any resolution you want with any of these. And yeah, I recommend using some of the scale/filter options because it should make the game prettier, whichever resolution you make it use natively (personally, I like the look of hq2x/hq3x/etc. best).

Edit: Also, from a moment of googling, if you have any trouble I see recommendations for setting Output to "overlay" (as opposed to "surface" which I think is the default) and Core (part of the machine options) to "dynamic". Only if you have trouble with the default settings, though. Probably the GoG version you buy should come with a good config file (even if it's not set EXACTLY how you like it) to duplicate settings from, should you have any other troubles... although if you're looking at their config files for settings already you could probably just change the resolution settings in the prebuilt config and that's it. But there are so many shiny options when you mess around with settings! How can you resist?

Essee on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I got this from GOG and it runs only if I use Ctrl-F11 to slow down the cycles. Anyone with this from GOG know how and what to edit so I don't have to do that every time I run the game?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I got this from GOG and it runs only if I use Ctrl-F11 to slow down the cycles. Anyone with this from GOG know how and what to edit so I don't have to do that every time I run the game?

I don't personally have this game, but you can either use the frontends I was talking about in my previous post to tweak things or just edit dosbox.conf in the folder that DOSBox is in. Search the dosbox.conf file for "cycles=" and change "auto" or the existing number of cycles to a different number (just replace whatever's there with a number). From looking around a bit, it looks like some typical values to try might be 3000, 4000, 5000, 10000, 20000, etc. Presumably you want the highest number you can get while it's still stable and not running at hyperspeed. You could also try changing the "core=auto" line above the cycles to "core=dynamic" before you try all that, since someone said that sometimes fixes problems with the game all on its own when I googled for info on how well the game plays with DOSBox.