As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hey now, I have blue neon fans in both my gaming rigs. All the blue neon, damnit. My shit glows like whoa.

Might want to see a doctor about that.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    There's also this winery my dad goes to which is like perched up on a hill and has people who come by that serve you foie gras on crackers and I swear to god walking into it is like walking into fucking Rivendell.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I tried the demo for Sniper Elite V2 last night. I like the sniping parts, don't like the sneaking parts. A modern, good, sniper fps would be cool, but most of the sniper games are total shite.

I'm going to refuse to research this game or even look at screenshots before posting. This will be awesome. Questions abound:

- Isn't sniping pretty much standard fare for an FPS these days?

- So this is just more "snipery" than games that already have a sniping component?

- Assuming that means you have to adjust for wind, and you hear Marky Mark's voice after a successful headshot.

- Somebody put the word "elite" in the title, which means the game is probably meant for teenagers who put windows and neon lights in their rigs. Or else got banned from their favorite TF2 server for aimbotting and need a far more single-player experience to work out some aggression before dinner. Mom's making meatloaf again.

- I bet it sucks due to all of the above.

Sniping components of games like Call of Duty are not exactly what I had in mind. Like, the sniping mission in Modern Warfare culminated in a shot with no bullet drop and an inability to compensate for wind. Basically, the only way to successfully complete the mission was to wait for no wind and put your crosshairs directly on a target a mile or more away and watch as the bullet traveled on a line straight trajectory.

I do a lot of long range precision shooting and would like a sniping game in which you have to deal with wind, bullet drop, etc. Sniper Elite does this.

Also, something interesting my friend and I discovered while filming some of stuff out on my uncle's farm - at 400 yards, the camera could not pick up the crack of the rifle (We set up a camera looking at the targets out in the field). The only sound was the *piff* as the bullet struck the paper or the *thunk* when it hit the watermelons we occasionally set up as targets.

To be honest, it's kind of strange that realistic concepts like wind and bullet drop haven't made their way into even your standard Bro FPS shooters.

Either it's a feature that can be tricky to code, it's something they haven't thought to put in, or it's just not something people have been clamoring for. I know there have been games where bullets are not 100% accurate that people have fucking hated before, like Alpha Protocol.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hey now, I have blue neon fans in both my gaming rigs. All the blue neon, damnit. My shit glows like whoa.

It has its advantages...

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    winky its probably not

its probably different for different people and different for different types of visual analysis

for example, your brain interpolates moving object position already just using your eyes, so theres an argument for just going as high as possible to make it so the only interpolation happening is the neural stuff

also no serious wine drinker thinks that screwtop wines are all shit unless theyre mega pretentious nerdlords

It also depends on what the goal is. If it's just to remove flicker then you need to be in the ball park of 80 fps. But it's going to depend on how dark things are. Flicker is slightly less noticeable if the scene I'm shooting is dark. If it's bright and full of whites then it becomes more noticeable at lower framerates.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I tried the demo for Sniper Elite V2 last night. I like the sniping parts, don't like the sneaking parts. A modern, good, sniper fps would be cool, but most of the sniper games are total shite.

I'm going to refuse to research this game or even look at screenshots before posting. This will be awesome. Questions abound:

- So this is just more "snipery" than games that already have a sniping component?

- Assuming that means you have to adjust for wind, and you hear Marky Mark's voice after a successful headshot.

- Somebody put the word "elite" in the title, which means the game is probably meant for teenagers who put windows and neon lights in their rigs. Or else got banned from their favorite TF2 server for aimbotting and need a far more single-player experience to work out some aggression before dinner. Mom's making meatloaf again.

Sniping components of games like Call of Duty are not exactly what I had in mind. Like, the sniping mission in Modern Warfare culminated in a shot with no bullet drop and an inability to compensate for wind. Basically, the only way to successfully complete the mission was to wait for no wind and put your crosshairs directly on a target a mile or more away and watch as the bullet traveled on a line straight trajectory.

I do a lot of long range precision shooting and would like a sniping game in which you have to deal with wind, bullet drop, etc. Sniper Elite does this.

Also, something interesting my friend and I discovered while filming some of stuff out on my uncle's farm - at 400 yards, the camera could not pick up the crack of the rifle (We set up a camera looking at the targets out in the field). The only sound was the *piff* as the bullet struck the paper or the *thunk* when it hit the watermelons we occasionally set up as targets.

To be honest, it's kind of strange that realistic concepts like wind and bullet drop haven't made their way into even your standard Bro FPS shooters.

Either it's a feature that can be tricky to code, it's something they haven't thought to put in, or it's just not something people have been clamoring for. I know there have been games where bullets are not 100% accurate that people have fucking hated before, like Alpha Protocol.

It's because bro FPS shooters are not simulations

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I thought having a low frame rate can sometimes make it seem more tense, because your brain is doing more interp?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

FPS players expect bullets to be lasers. They also expect shooting from the hip to be accurate.

• Options
    That "Dungeon Keeper Online".

What.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It has its advantages...

It betrays when you're scared? :P

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

It has its advantages...

It glows when Orcs are nearby.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I like both high quality so-beautiful-you-feel-bad-drinking-it wine, and boxed wine. They both have their ... uses

There is literally nothing wrong with the quality of a great many boxed wines, just as there is nothing wrong with the quality of wines that use alternative stoppers other than cork, like plastics and screw-tops. It varies regardless of packaging materials. Public perception is really skewed on this one.

I'm saying this as a longtime wine drinker who knows his palate and would like to kick the concept of wine snobbery right in the dick if that were possible.

On the subject of wine snobbery:

On spring break I went to a vineyard for some wine tasting with my dad, and while we were there the owner was coming around and doing his "make you feel special and exclusive" bit. He told us a bunch about how the vineyard was really green and a bunch of different recycling and self-sufficiency things they were doing and that was all good and what-not and then he mentioned that they used "homeopathic techniques" and I had to hold my breath for the rest of the spiel. This got hard when he was talking directly to me about how the youth these days are more interested in wine than back in the day.

If he didn't go into it too much it's very possible that he was misusing the word homeopathy. I've heard a lot of people use it to refer to all kinds of new-agey things like any herbal medicines, even when they aren't super diluted actually homeopathic things.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I thought having a low frame rate can sometimes make it seem more tense, because your brain is doing more interp?

Not that I've ever seen. There are some better ways to accomplish that. Shooting in 1.33 to 1 for instance. Wells showed how claustrophobic that aspect ratio can be. Or use of lighting, or sound cues, etc.

• Options
    winky its probably not

its probably different for different people and different for different types of visual analysis

for example, your brain interpolates moving object position already just using your eyes, so theres an argument for just going as high as possible to make it so the only interpolation happening is the neural stuff

also no serious wine drinker thinks that screwtop wines are all shit unless theyre mega pretentious nerdlords

There has to be a hard cap at a framerate that is faster than a signal can cross the optic chiasm, though. I have no idea how long that is.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

i'm pretty sure battlefield 3 has bullet drop, and that seems like a Bro FPS. no wind, though.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That "Dungeon Keeper Online".

What.

Echo's gonna turn up at that studio and be all like "BEWARE! THE LORD OF THE LAND APPROACHES!"

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I tried my first awesome wine over Christmas visiting my parentals. We opened it and tried a little straight away and it tasted like vaguely winey old water. Then we did the proper thing and let it breathe a while a... FLAVOUR ALL UP IN MY FACE OH WOW.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i assume the goal is to be capabal of eventually producing images that are indistinguishable from the real in every sense

so it would include all considerations (flicker etc)

and then from there you decide where you wish to deviate in each particular film for effect

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

The Battlefield series has had bullet drop for a while, no wind that I can think of except for maybe in the single player when you are specifically sniping. I don't know when they started but I know BF:BC2 had it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Real cork is lame

Herp derp let's average one bottle per case having TCA problems

ololo the "expectations of the market for the price point"

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Real cork is lame

Herp derp let's average one bottle per case having TCA problems

ololo the "expectations of the market for the price point"
    You're just jealous of the for-real wines, Mr. Screw Top.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

It has its advantages...

Alerts the rest of the party to danger.

• Options
    Actually motion uses a different pathway, doesn't it?

Regardless, there's definitely a hard limit. Like if you are at 1kfps your brain is gonna be physically incapable of distinguishing any difference because that's on the level of action potential speed.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, BF3 has bullet drop, and sniping in it isn't bad.

But I stopped playing when it became obvious that with it's huge success, it now has the same playerbase as Call of Duty. So I can't stand playing it.

A couple friends of mine play it several times a week. I join them on Teamspeak just because I live 2000 kilometers from them now and it's cheaper than calling them. I usually quit out after a while, though, because when they play it's non-stop "That's fucking bullshit!" and "Godamn cheap shotting fuckers!" and the like. They play it all the time, but do nothing but rage when they play it.

Like, why play it?

I just don't get it.

• Options
    To hell with technological innovation giving us better packaging materials. If I can't buy my liquid milk in metal cans, I get really mad. monkey SMAASH

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Is there a way to implement wind that doesn't involve sticking a little arrow or some other visual element on the HUD?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It has its advantages...

Alerts the rest of the party to danger.

spool32, the incontinent Hobbit.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    not necessarily winky, because we dont know how the different frame rates might affect pre-optic nerve signal encoding and compression

its a lossy process, but that doesnt mean that all the detail not possible to formally encode fails to affect what your visual cortex receives

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Is there a way to implement wind that doesn't involve sticking a little arrow or some other visual element on the HUD?

Things like hair and flags fluttering in the breeze.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    oh my god

It's missing the most important one!

http://img.lambdacalcul.us/POTUSVsFiveKings.jpg

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oh my god
    8T2eq.jpg

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    And apparently the event I'm attending this weekend doesn't have a tux/cowboy boots dress code. I just have a girlfriend with a sense of humor.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    winky its probably not

There has to be a hard cap at a framerate that is faster than a signal can cross the optic chiasm, though. I have no idea how long that is.

Wouldn't that be different for different people too? It's not like humans are engineered to really low tolerances

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I love the "always going on about climate change" line though. It's... it's beautiful.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    yes elldren this would vary hugely

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    not necessarily winky, because we dont know how the different frame rates might affect pre-optic nerve signal encoding and compression

its a lossy process, but that doesnt mean that all the detail not possible to formally encode fails to affect what your visual cortex receives

Hm, interesting point. Photoreceptor cells have graded potentials too so their influence on neurons later down on the line changes continuously.

This is talking about super minute differences, though. I can't imagine the difference between 1kfps and 2kfps being something that anyone would be capable of knowing that they're perceiving a difference in.

Also, you technically still have a max before you reach the speed of light: it's going to be related the rate at which you can pass ions charged ions through channels.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The only time I laughed at people drinking box wine was when I saw two girls on the train drinking straight from the tap.

But then they heard me and came over and shared it with me

So that was nice of them

Sparvy on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    winky its probably not

Wouldn't that be different for different people too? It's not like humans are engineered to really low tolerances

I'm not saying that there wouldn't be individuals who perceive at a much lower rate, but there is definitely a highest possible rate at which you can send an action potential down an axon. This would constitute an absolute cap for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.