As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    vayne plays like some sort of AD carry/mage hybrid

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Teemo is like all of these other characters but better.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    vayne plays like some sort of AD carry/mage hybrid

She's basically a single-target mincing machine, and her whole skillset relies on creating huge bursts of damage between sustained less-impressive chunks. It's just weird to me. Other people like her, and they can have her.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Ok, so Graves is a lot of fun. 3/0/14. Thanks, Styrofoam Sammich.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    TF is fun, high skill ceiling and alot of tricks. I don't think he builds as AD very well, although some people try. He just lacks the damage output as AD to do much.

As AP he has a great stun, good poking, great sustain, and one of the most useful ults in the game. A team with TF and Shen on it would be some kind of horrible nightmare party.

He has no defenses, so flash is mandatory and wards are important. He's easy to gank and easy to burst down, you have to play him with an eye towards what your opponents can do at all times.

Vayne, on the other hand, is just not fun IMO. She's so vulnerable early on that unless you have a fantastic support, you're going to get stomped. Sure, she's a terror at level 18 when farmed, but when the game is over at 20 minutes because graves / soraka or cait / blitz kicked vayne out of lane 5 times, how scary she is at level 18 doesn't matter much.

She's too weak pre-6 to trade with anyone, and she has no sustain. If you can somehow keep her alive, farmed, and safe until midgame and she isn't at a big disadvantage, she'll start to get really scary. She's probably one of the best level 18 carries in the game, its just getting to 18 that's the hard part.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I build TF AD but he just feels paper thin. Kind of like Twitch, you have really strong AA damage but you're so frail they still take you out first. So yeah, AP is more useful.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ok, so Graves is a lot of fun. 3/0/14. Thanks, Styrofoam Sammich.

Graves is pretty redonk.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    When I was playing on my friend's account, I played TF with items for Ability Points and Attack Speed and I was doing Ok. Just tried Graves and he feels kinda like Ashe did when I played her. But what good is his Smoke Screen? Seems like a waste of mama using it.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I really don't know how normal matchmaking works...

All night I was playing with a level 29 that I often duo queue with and we were getting matched up against teams of 1500+ ELO players with 1000+ wins whereas the people on our teams were at most 1300 or unranked with 100-500 wins. I barely hit bronze in matchmaking and this level 29 ONLY plays with me so there's no way he somehow hit 2k ELO in normals or something. We lost something like 10 out of 14 games we played over the course of a few hours and most of those were surrenders at 20.

And not only that, but isn't matchmaking supposed to match people losing with people who are winning to sort of balance it out? Three times I checked lolking we were playing against comps with 3+ players on 6 or 7 game win streaks while everyone on our team had mostly losses in their last 10 games.

What. The. Fuck.

Matchmaking should be matching people of roughly the same hidden ELO and not take into account streaks.

For some reason though, i feel like the matchmaking is adding hidden ELO backwards. It felt like, to me, that when i lost i went up against tougher opponents and was doing so with worse teams.

This past weekend was the first time post 30 i had to deal with someone choosing obviously bad choices and not saying anything[Hecarim Support who took CS]. It was also the first time i have seen a dual melee bottom in a long long time [but i was queuing with ZZZ so that might have helped]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Graves is a fun carry. I think he's designed pretty well, Q is fun, W is fun and lets you be sneaky, he has a functional steroid with multiple applications, and a damage-based ultimate that requires a little aim and strategy to use successfully.

He's also pretty boring when teamed with Soraka, but I don't think that is Graves' fault.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    When I was playing on my friend's account, I played TF with items for Ability Points and Attack Speed and I was doing Ok. Just tried Graves and he feels kinda like Ashe did when I played her. But what good is his Smoke Screen? Seems like a waste of mama using it.

People inside the smoke can't see anything. Drop it on choke points or drop it on their damage dealers, forcing them to spend a second or two moving, which can make a huge difference.

You're not building Graves AP/AS are you?

Graves and Ashe are both AD ranged carries, so you're going to see a similarity. The whole idea behind both champs is to farm minions as hard as you can until you can buy the items you need to kill everyone.

TF is more like a mage with a decent auto attack.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

If you're going to build AP TF, you don't want attack speed. Lich Bane is pretty great, lets you hit really hard with gold card if you plan it right. Otherwise a mix of sustain and AP is wise, attack speed doesn't do anything unless your basic autoattacks hurt. AP TF doesn't do much with autoattacks.

If you want to see what smokescreen does, its best to be on the other side of it. It cuts vision and slows you down, a well-placed smokescreen can push a carry out of a fight for a few valuable seconds or can lure someone into a gank by giving a jungler an extra moment to approach unseen. Its pretty great for utility, damage wise its nothing special.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

It is except when it's not. Like the last couple posters pointed out, it works sort of like Nocturne's ultimate while people are standing in it. It's also a good wave-clearer to finish things Buckshot didn't, and it's solid as a slow on choke-points. The boil-down is that you shouldn't spam it; it's actually a very helpful thing to have.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    if you can get good at tf you can do really well. if you're not good at him you will just lose your lane over and over because he is incredibly unforgiving.

Jars on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, just blew my IP on a runepage, Akali and Morgana, not that I'd ever be able to get to use them. Still have enough for a 3150 champ, but was considering saving for Ahri. Didn't like a full glass cannon build though. With no escape, and not having flash up enough to even try to get away, dead in 4 seconds. Modified the build to be tankier.

camo_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    You're not building Graves AP/AS are you?

I was using the items on the top of the store. I got berserker's greaves, zeal, last whisper, and a pickaxe I think that was for Trinity Force. I was going mid (called it doing picking) but someone else decided to push me out (he ended up 0/14/5 and way under leveled.) So I when top with someone who logged out a few minutes later and watched our new mid try to juggle all three lanes at once only to be killed.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    When you're still learning the game then yeah the recommended items aren't bad, no need to make things more complicated.

Standard items for ranged AD carries are zerker's greaves, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper (somewhat situational), Infinity Edge, and Bloodthirster.

Triforce works on Graves because he has some burst caster design with his Q so you can blast them with it then follow it up with an auto attack. Black Cleaver can also be a useful item if they're stacking armor against you.

Bloodthirster is the important item though, as I recall it offers the most AD and the sustain is important.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I was looking at Graves's passive True Grit. Does it have a max of how much bonus armor/magic resist it gives?

10 stacks.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    malph is still nasty. just thrashed irelia and akali top.

When you're still learning the game then yeah the recommended items aren't bad, no need to make things more complicated.

Standard items for ranged AD carries are zerker's greaves, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper (somewhat situational), Infinity Edge, and Bloodthirster.

Triforce works on Graves because he has some burst caster design with his Q so you can blast them with it then follow it up with an auto attack. Black Cleaver can also be a useful item if they're stacking armor against you.

Bloodthirster is the important item though, as I recall it offers the most AD and the sustain is important.

Yeah, Triforce sort of works on Graves with ability weaving and to add punch to his E; it's acceptable, but not a priority. Bloodthirster is the key to Graves; he stretches the sustain further than any other ranged carry.

Also, I would like to point out that Pink Taric might be best Taric, but original blue Taric is pretty baller:
    BlueTaric.jpg

A related observation: Ranked has been pretty awful this weekend.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Cass get Ezreal! Best carry in the game! Ignore these new emo Ionian archers!

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Because Riot dun goofed

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    why do i have an IP boost?

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Taric is now my favorite support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-GZ5BCr8D8

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    What's the different between Pink Taric and a Blue Taric?

Skins are things you can buy with real-world money to change the appearance of your champion. They don't affect gameplay. Pink Taric just happens to be one of the more popular skins.

Whyther wrote: »

Skins are things you can buy with real-world money to change the appearance of your champion. They don't affect gameplay. Pink Taric just happens to be one of the more fabulous skins.

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    So I get that the passive on Graves makes lifesteal more effective, but for AD carries in general when is it better to finish a BT instead of just picking up a vamp scepter on the way to your IE?

Bama wrote: »
    So I get that the passive on Graves makes lifesteal more effective, but for AD carries in general when is it better to finish a BT instead of just picking up a vamp scepter on the way to your IE?

comes down to how much you trust your own positioning

if you have bad positioning, your bloodthirster is probably going to lose stacks every single fight, and that's a suboptimal use of money

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Since Graves is so slow, I usually go 2xDoran, BF, and Zeal before completing an IE. This is assuming I'm not super fed.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Buddy of mine streaming some Cass mid. http://www.own3d.tv/live/211664

Always fun times to watch, plus he's playing with some PA guys.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    See, it seems to me that if your positioning is good then you're less reliant on lifesteal to keep you in the fight and I though IE was better overall dps. I guess if you were in a situation where the teams were just trading pokes then the BT would be better for the flat AD and sustain, but subjectively I seem to have more success going for the IE first.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I have been trying to do some research, because a bunch of my friends who have been playing a long time are wanting to get me into this game, and I'm still a noob. Is there some logic that dictates which lanes certain types of characters go to? It seems like when we play it's usually a ranged AD/support bottom, an AP carry mid, the jungler, then a more tanky fighter type top(though sometimes top is a guy who always plays Akali.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind AP/AD in which lanes and all that jazz.

Skins are things you can buy with real-world money to change the appearance of your champion. They don't affect gameplay. Pink Taric just happens to be one of the more ***OUTRAGEOUS*** skins.

Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I have been trying to do some research, because a bunch of my friends who have been playing a long time are wanting to get me into this game, and I'm still a noob. Is there some logic that dictates which lanes certain types of characters go to? It seems like when we play it's usually a ranged AD/support bottom, an AP carry mid, the jungler, then a more tanky fighter type top(though sometimes top is a guy who always plays Akali.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind AP/AD in which lanes and all that jazz.

AP characters are generally strong early game and scale off of their character level quite well, so they get the lane that is close to everyone else for gank opportunities early on, and extra experience

the bruiser that goes top lane goes there because they are a monster 1v1 and are trying to shut out the enemy top laner so that they have more money than them come late game

the two people go bot lane because ranged AD carries are VITAL to have on a competitive team, but they cannot survive on their own early game. They scale very well with money, but not with levels, so they get babysat while they farm all day. Later on, they do all the damage in the world.

the two people go bot lane instead of top because bot lane is close to the Dragon, which is super important early game.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

Never. IE's the thing that will launch you into the stratosphere of carrying. Why delay?

huntresssig.jpg
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    You can go BT first on Graves/Vayne since they're likely to be closer in a fight and taking damage the BT can heal. Everyone else should pretty much go IE.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

Never. IE's the thing that will launch you into the stratosphere of carrying. Why delay?

Because Arivia said so.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
This discussion has been closed.