Looking for Tumblr suggestions and/or Selling my own photography

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, two parter;

First, I used to have a blog going, for about 6 months, and it was fun but I discovered that I don't have the time or drive to keep it as active as I had wanted. BUT it did get my feet wet as far as wanting to have my own, uh, presence, on the internet, and you guys helped with your title advice and such.

So I've been thinking about having a tumblr lately. I like the layout, I like the back and forth of other people's works and findings along with their credit. I figured mine would be based on 4 factors: (1) My own photography, almost all floral / nature based, (2) Photos of gardens, landscapes, etc that influence and inspire my own gardening designs (which I could also post), (3) my art and drawings, infrequently because I don't draw as much as I want to, and (4) A variance on this site where I would put criticism on truly disastrous landscaping decisions. And I don't mean 'oh you put tulips next to hostas what is this the 1920's pshaw', I mean things like 'hey I pruned this flowering shrub into a single stem, that arches over a bed of mulch. And that's it'

I figure tags would help to keep them organized and searchable as need be. So the question I'm phrasing is, do any of you have any good recommendations for a particular layout? Some of the one's I've liked have about 3-5 columns, but this reduces the pictures size as well as makes any text limiting, and I feel like I want to post a paragraph or two once in awhile. So maybe revisiting the blog might be better? Is there some magic site that combines the best of both worlds?

The other question, as it ties into me posting my photography online, is that I'm looking for a website / service that lets people browse through photo's I've put up, and select them to print. Ideally, a site that lets me control price, or at the very least, gives a reasonable amount back (and would take in a percentage too, I'm guessing). I'm not looking for the best of the best, but I don't want people getting shit; I can worry about doing canvas prints and the like later, or do that on an individual basis. But I'd at least like to have a link on my tumblr/blog to said site where I can start selling my stuff. The thing I want to avoid however is a site that would either take copyright away from me, or worse, give creative license to whoever purchases prints (I've seen some similarly worded) ... basically, I only want a site that gives expressed permission to print pictures on an individual basis, and ideally doesn't also host a huge file that people could just as easily take and claim as their own. Would that be a huge problem? Probably not. But I want to start out avoiding it if I can.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
MetroidZoid on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Are you prepared to have your photos reposted all over the internet without your permission and without giving you any credit? Use Tumblr.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Yes and no. At the very least, any of my own images on the tumblr would have a watermark. It kind of feels pretentious but it takes me all of 30 seconds to put one on. Probably >70% of the images would be shared from other sites on the internet, with due credit, like most of these other tumblrs I see.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON IndiaRegistered User regular
    You can change your tumblr layout about as easily as you change your socks. I went through two in a week before settling on a third I was happy with.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You could look into selling your work as stock photography. I'm sure you could sell prints, but the print on demand sites range from terrible quality to not so great profits.

The easiest way to keep your photos properly credited is to use flicker. Since the systems are a little integrated, the click through should follow it if it gets reblogged. If you do a watermark make it tasteful, nothing ruins an image more than logo crap all over it.