As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warlock] or, that other new Master of Magic-Alike

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
warlocklogo.png
So the demo for this dropped on Steam today, and it comes out in a little over a week.

Here's some copy-paste from the official site: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock-master-of-the-arcane
Warlock: Master of the Arcane is a new turned-based strategy game set in the fantastical world of Ardania, popularized in Majesty franchise. Warlock: Master of the Arcane invites players to take on the role of the Great Mage and build a powerful magical empire, giving mightly mages the ability to control armies and wield magic to wage war against another, as they compete with other wizards for the title of Warlock.

Features

-Research and master dozens of spells, conjure strong enchantments and find out powerful spell combinations
-Use the forces of three races, along with summons and wild creatures
-Innovating city management system with less routine actions
-Epic battles with large armies marching across the landscape

For me, playing the demo, it was the first MoM-alike that has really clicked. If you look at a screenshot, it looks A LOT like Civ V:
game_2012-04-12_11-16-30-00.jpg
game_2012-04-12_09-57-23-71.jpg

And it plays like it too. Hex-based, no stacking. Archers can fire over 2 squares. The big difference is cities and magic. There's no tech tree, you just have your choice of 5 spells to research at any one time. As you research a spell, it gets replaced in your pentagram with a new choice. Cities sort of have a building tree. Different buildings unlock different units, and also increase your food/gold/mana/spell research production. Each city has its own race, which determines the buildings and units you can build. I started as a human in the demo, but quickly captured a goblin city, so I could build goblin spearmen and such. I know people lamented that that was missing from Elemental.

The demo is a limited number of turns 100 or 200, and you can't customize your Mage or civilization. It looks like the full game gives you plenty of options for both, as well as a lot of map customization:
game_2012-04-12_09-55-24-94.jpg

No multiplayer, unfortunately, but it is only $20! Pre-order gets you some kind of DLC, no idea if it's any good.

Oh and apparently it takes place in Ardania, setting of the Majesty games. So if you just can't get enough Ardania, there's more here. But as far as I can tell, it's generic fantasy all the way.

Here's some video, narrated by a guy that wants to be Sean Connery really badly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5T1Wz-LEv4
Steam store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

captaink on

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Played the demo for a little bit. I have to give it more time later, but Fantasy Civ is a really cool idea.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I've been playing the full game today for review and my initial impressions have been rather positive. An hour and a half just completely disappeared. If I weren't tired I could lose myself to several more.

It does play a lot like Civilization, though instead of technology you research spells which you cast from your god's perspective. Buildings are placed on the hexes themselves, and you can only build one per city growth level. Game and map options are limited - certainly not as robust as Galactic Civilizations 2 or War of Magic: Fallen Enchantress - but you can choose from various map sizes, the number of other worlds that you can transport to via portals, and mages (customized or pre-generated).

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    boosterburnboosterburn Registered User regular
    Just played the demo for this. I'm impressed. Seems to be a lot of the things I was hoping Elemental would be. The question will be the AI, it seems fine in the demo but remains to be seen. For 20$ though, totally seems worth it. I just ordered it looking forward to the full game.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    The demo is a limited number of turns 100 or 200, and you can't customize your Mage or civilization.
    The demo from Steam stops at turn 50, is there one available elsewhere that goes longer? 50 turns is just enough to setup a starting empire but not enough to really do anything with it.

The only thing that worries me is that there appears to be no downside to creating new cities other than the 2 turns it takes to create the settler. Which means that the map quickly becomes nothing but cities from one edge to the other.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never played a Master of Magic game, but this seems like Civilization with wizards to me. Is that what MoM is?

• Options
    Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    Just saw TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." for this game and I'm very intrigued. It seems like a more polished up version of Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, but otherwise I can't really any major differences between the two games. Downloading the demo off steam now.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've never played a Master of Magic game, but this seems like Civilization with wizards to me. Is that what MoM is?
    More or less. Master of Magic is a 4x game like Civilization, but focused less on empire-building and complex economics and more on detailed combat. Warlock seems to exist at the intersection between Civilization V's hex-based strategic combat and Master of Magic's streamlined economic system. The result is that it that it has a more focused wargame-y feel than either of them. That's my take on it, anyway; I've only played the demo of Warlock and I only know about Civilization V from hearsay (most of my Civilization experience is from IV).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Everything about the feel of this game feels like Civ V. The hexes and the city screens are the main reasons.

Anyone interested in a game that is like Elemental but actually finished and (from what I could tell) bug-free should give this a shot.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is this using the civ engine? It looks REALLY similar.

Also will have to pick this up, my favorite way to play civ is to be stuck in roughly the middle ages, so this should be a blast.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Saw something interesting on the loading screen

"If you play on a cylindrical world a unit that goes far enough east will eventually appear in the west"

edit: Which means their might be spherical maps and other such coolness

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Saw something interesting on the loading screen

"If you play on a cylindrical world a unit that goes far enough east will eventually appear in the west"

edit: Which means their might be spherical maps and other such coolness

I'm thinking it means instead of a flat world. Which you could have in this game because MAGIC.

Civ maps are also cylindrical since you ca circumnavigate East-West but not North-South.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Last Son wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me is that there appears to be no downside to creating new cities other than the 2 turns it takes to create the settler. Which means that the map quickly becomes nothing but cities from one edge to the other.

If you do that, though, your cities won't have room to develop, as your buildings have to be placed on the hexes themselves. And some of the more advanced units and buildings have prerequisites that must be built first.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »

If you do that, though, your cities won't have room to develop, as your buildings have to be placed on the hexes themselves. And some of the more advanced units and buildings have prerequisites that must be built first.

You can't ever really place enough stuff that you're going to be able to run out of space for your cities to develop and you're not going to have enough food/cash/mana to properly ramp into the game unless you're cramming down as many cities as you can so you can build gold/food generating cities while you build spaces for upgrades and advanced units

That being said, proper placement of cities is then important so you don't accidentally lock yourself out of a resource you want for a long time until your city gets big

Advanced units cost 500-1000 gold. And take 5 turns to build. [on the other hand they're baller] and then once you do that you're going to want to spend another 200+ or so to upgrade them until they're not going to get killed by higher level weak creatures [or just randomly by random monsters] and you wont ever have the income to fight a war unless you really focus on having a lot of gold and food income to keep everything running. [or mana income for summoned units]

Basically this means that if you want to have one city constantly generating wizards/healers/old trolls/Priests/dragons you're going to need 100-200 gold/turn income. And you can't get that without rapid and consistent expansion and building of cities devoted entirely to food/gold

Early on, the game and UI is really good at navigating through what you need to do, but later when you've got a long going it becomes burdensome in dealing with all your cities. You might as well just build an army and stop bothering. At least i lost patience with dealing with my empire relatively early and the AI in the demo didn't put up much of a fight. Maybe its better with human players since humans are more apt to fight rather than wait and this should limit expansion as fighting occurs.

I haven't tried Elemental, but from what I've seen it looks better in that regard

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We know anything about the diplomacy yet?

• Options

It looked kinda weak from what I saw. It is not hard and probably not against TOS [though i am not sure] to get the game to extend past 50 turns [not that you can save] and diplomacy didn't seem like it was that important. I think the only "win" condition is to beat all the other rulers.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

It looked kinda weak from what I saw. It is not hard and probably not against TOS [though i am not sure] to get the game to extend past 50 turns [not that you can save] and diplomacy didn't seem like it was that important. I think the only "win" condition is to beat all the other rulers.

Must just be a demo thing, the store page says:
    Choose your strategy: There are various ways to achieve victory: by military, diplomatic or even magical means.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I can't wait for the 8th. I was just clearing out some of the monsters from the other side of the portal with trolls and hunters so I could make a city when the demo ended :(

Edit: there are 4 victory conditions that I remember, you can kill all the other great mages, you can have all of the holy sites in the game under your control, you can research the ultimate spell Unity and use it, or you can ingratiate one god so much, their rival sends their avatar to the world to kill you, if you kill the avatar you win.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    Looksh aweshome shame there ish no mac vershion. The totalbischuit video on it wash pretty good.

960751-1.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Having tried this demo and the Fallen Enchantress beta, I have to say Fallen Enchantress is the much better game. This one isn't bad at all tho except it just feels like Fantasy Civilization. That and it looks loads better. But the extensive customization in FE wins out.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well, bear in mind, if you've just played the demo, the demo for this game doesn't offer any of the customization options you would ordinarily get for the beginning of the game

Here's Total Biscuits WTF is, he does show some of the customization stuff off

Or did you mean Fallen Enchantress has superior customization more than in Warlock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    Loved the demo, and got this on Steam pre-order.

The no penalty thing for building settlers thing sounds a bit worrying, but I spent most of my build turns to churn out armies and capture neutrals / other mages.
    For some reason I play this way more agressive than Civ.

• Options

The no penalty thing for building settlers thing sounds a bit worrying, but I spent most of my build turns to churn out armies and capture neutrals / other mages.

You can build and train at the same time, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, in that video, he has a lot of cities.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

I probably was not totally clear there...just meant I built armies over settlers

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

I probably was not totally clear there...just meant I built armies over settlers

Oh I see, yeah. In the demo I just couldn't really get room for more cities, I was shut down by vampires in one direction, and stiff enemy opposition in the other.

• Options
    God, this game has its claws in me so deep right now. I went from having barely heard about it to being totally obsessed with it in a staggeringly short amount of time. I don't know how I'm going to hold out until Tuesday.

At around my third playthrough of the demo, I decided to put together my own tech trees to give me a better view of the factions than the disorganized build lists offered. They're just ugly little MS Paint documents, but I guess I'll post them here in case anyone else has been curious about how cities differ between the races:

Humans:
    HumanTechTree.jpg

Monsters:
    MonsterTechTree.jpg

Undead:
    UndeadTechTree.jpg

I don't have any documents for unit or upgrade stats, partially because it's too much of a pain to tech to anything respectable in the 50 turns the demo gives you, but I think I've seen every basic unit except the Dracolich at least once if anyone is curious about something in particular. I'm also pretty sure that different factions have different options for building on certain resources, but I don't have any data on that at all (except for that the Undead can build a Laboratorium on silver (+7 mana, -2 gold) instead of the Silver Armory that humans get).

Basically, it looks like the main overall differences are that Humans have a gold-centric economy and specialize in ranged units, Monsters have a food-centric economy and specialize in big scary melee guys who regenerate, and the Undead have a mana-centric economy and specialize in being really hard to kill along with being the only side with native flying units. Their unit upkeeps follow that pattern too (i.e. monster units tend to cost more food and less gold than human units).

Honestly, now that I've looked at them laid out like this, I have trouble seeing how the Undead aren't going to be way overpowered. Not only are they able to run a more focused economy than the others due to the low food requirements, but their basic infantry is practically immune to missile attacks while the vampires and fliers are practically impossible to kill with anything EXCEPT missile attacks. Oh, and the vampires are heavily elemental-resistant, in case you thought you could just use mages instead of archers (not that that would have helped the Monsters anyway). I guess it's hard to tell for sure without being able to really play them, though.

• Options
    I think the drawback for them is that magic is such a powerful tool, having most of your magic generation tied up with maintaining your army outweighs the benefits of having a more resistant and versatile fighting force, so other mages will be able to cast more spells which, even with the Vampires elemental resistance, is still a huge boost, so it evens out.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    In the demo I got a quest from a god to kill a unit of Assassins, who had crazy high stats (they were more or less one shotting my tier 1 units with their poison) and even crazier upkeep - IIRC it was something like 10 gold 3 food 3 mana. So I think there might be a third tier of units not available in the demo.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If it was a unit a god told you to kill, it's probably a unit you can only get by being on the up and up with the god who it belonged to (who is probably always the opposite god) like Helios and Lunord

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane has now officially been released! I'm downloading it as we speak.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    It looks fun. I'd be all over it if I didn't just buy Sniper Elite V2 and waiting on Diablo 3. I'll probably wait for a sale.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bremen wrote: »
    In the demo I got a quest from a god to kill a unit of Assassins, who had crazy high stats (they were more or less one shotting my tier 1 units with their poison) and even crazier upkeep - IIRC it was something like 10 gold 3 food 3 mana. So I think there might be a third tier of units not available in the demo.

they're available you just don't last long enough to get them. There are generally four tiers.

Basic
    Advanced
    Elite
    Super

Elite are things like upgraded wizards and trolls. Super are things like archer of helios, dragons, berzerkers, etc.

There are also a couple special monsters running around[saw an avatar of some God. Was a three headed dragon, didn't look that intimidating in stats though]
    I think the drawback for them is that magic is such a powerful tool, having most of your magic generation tied up with maintaining your army outweighs the benefits of having a more resistant and versatile fighting force, so other mages will be able to cast more spells which, even with the Vampires elemental resistance, is still a huge boost, so it evens out.

Problem is is that its easy to build more mana regen. So you get your primary army upkeep tool an your primary spellcasting tool in one. The downside is expansion ability i think, but not sure.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    So is it just me or are the AIs in this game all jerks? They all just demand large amounts of gold or mana from me and go to war when spit on their silly demands. In my current game, I'm at war with everyone I've met so far.

Also, Elven Archers are really good. They have a spell that heals themselves and increases their movement rate, as well as being badass archers.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    So is it just me or are the AIs in this game all jerks? They all just demand large amounts of gold or mana from me and go to war when spit on their silly demands. In my current game, I'm at war with everyone I've met so far.

Also, Elven Archers are really good. They have a spell that heals themselves and increases their movement rate, as well as being badass archers.

I've only played 2 games so far but it seems like when an AI runs out of room to expand it will start making ridiculous demands on anyone who has borders nearby. When the AI wasn't next to me we usually got along fine, with one of them asking to form an alliance in my 2nd game.

• Options
    Teriferin wrote: »

I've only played 2 games so far but it seems like when an AI runs out of room to expand it will start making ridiculous demands on anyone who has borders nearby. When the AI wasn't next to me we usually got along fine, with one of them asking to form an alliance in my 2nd game.

Ah, this makes sense! I'm bordering basically everyone due to my central location and very rapid expansion.

I'm also getting diplomatic penalties for being "merciless". I guess they don't like it when you capture cities after they declare war on your and ignore peace proposals.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty god damned terrible at this game.

• Options
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm pretty god damned terrible at this game.

Tales of defeat are more entertaining than tales of glorious victory. Tell us how you're losing, maybe we can help :P

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Everyone hates me and I can't figure out how to make my cities grow.

• Options
    Everyone who borders you will probably hate you unless you shower them with gifts, so this is probably normal. I think sharing a religion is also helpful?

As for growing your cities, they will automatically increase in size over time so long as you have sufficient food to feed them. It's good to have specialized cities, and note that each race has a specialty (humans are the best at gold production, monsters at food, undead at mana). There's also some spells you can cast to speed up their growth, I think.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Undead have the coolest goddamn units. Flying Galleus utterly wrecks cities, vampires seem to ruin anything except other undead, zombies have a shit ton of health, ghosts are immune to melee, ranged, and death magic. Oh, and then there's the motherfucking Dracolich with the crazy cone attack.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'd get this but I am allergic to cityspam. Its a shame they went down this road.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence