As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantasy Strike online (Puzzle Strike and Yomi)

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
I cross posted this in Critical Failures, but since it has a major online component, and different people in each forum, I thought I'd share this here too.

So, Tycho posted about Sirlin games last week on the main page, and I'm hooked, so I said to myself, who would be some good people to play with? I figured that answer might be you guys.

So what is Fantasy Strike? It's a Universe created by Sirlin games that ties his, so far, 2 major games, Yomi and Puzzle Strike together.

Yomi

yomi_contents1_web_grande.jpg?1287488309

Yomi is what happens when someone decides to turn the mind games of tournament fighting games into an actual game. The game is played with a deck of 52 cards, each specific to the character you play as, and proceeds initially in a Rock/Paper/Scissor manner. Attacks beat throws, throws beat dodges and blocks, blocks and dodges beat attacks. Once you hit someone with an attack or throw, you can play additional cards to make combos to deal extra damage.

However the game is more interesting because each character has special abilities to help guide when you play attacks vs blocks, and the decks are not symmetric.

Puzzle Strike

ps_3rd_front5_web_large.jpg?101000

Puzzle strike is similar to dominion. You use chips called gems to buy new chips each turn in order to help assemble a deck of chips that can defeat your opponent. Each turn you place a 1gem in your gem pool, at the end of your turn if you have 10 or more in your pool, you lose. To win, you "crash" gems from your pool into your opponent's.

Both of these games have FREE ONLINE VERSIONS at fantasystrike.com and both games have interactive tutorials that will help explain the basics. The community at fantasy strike has been really helpful to me when it comes to questions about game play, so feel free to ask people.

They also have real physical versions at sirlingames.com and the physical versions are available in a print and play form as well.
The online versions are made by the creator of the games and he does keep them updated. The online versions only let you access 2 chars per week (on a rotating basis), but you can pay $5 to buy a char, or earn them using money you gain each match.

There is a referral program, where if you follow someone's link when you sign up, if they get to the rank of Master 1 via quick play, you get $5 in gold. Not a bad deal. Here's my link if anyone's willing to be kind about it. http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?register&ref=Tortalius

So who wants to duel?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on