As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Since when do I like Guns 'n Roses?

Um... always?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also we need some new awesome sci-fi, so Bear McCreary can do the music for it.

• Options
    Also I wonder what it would be like listening to music that was being directly injected to your auditory nerve. Like, would you have a sensation of "too loud" if you didn't receive pain data from your cochlear?

What would listening to music that was too loud to ever experience normally, but that didn't do any damage to the physical hearing apparatus, be like?

I can only assume awesome.

• Options
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    You get bone conduction headphones, that bypass the tympanic membrane (they're usually sold as sports headphones because you can still hear your surroundings and they work under water). I don't know if there's an upper limit on the perceived volume they could transmit.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    You get bone conduction headphones, that bypass the tympanic membrane (they're usually sold as sports headphones because you can still hear your surroundings and they work under water). I don't know if there's an upper limit on the perceived volume they could transmit.

They still depend on vibrating the hair cells in the cochlear, which is a big part of hearing damage. I'm wondering what would happen if you were injecting sound directly to the auditory nerve - like with the cochlear implant.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Apparently there are "objections" to the mounting of surface to air missile systems on residential tower blocks for the duration of the Olympics.

I wonder why that could possibly be.

The reasoning is apparently "terrorism" but I'm struggling to think of a terrorist threat for which surface to air missiles are a useful response. Especially given the likely scale of destruction that would result from shooting something down over an area as densely populated as Central London.

Floating_City_Airlantis_by_xericho.jpg

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options

They still depend on vibrating the hair cells in the cochlear, which is a big part of hearing damage. I'm wondering what would happen if you were injecting sound directly to the auditory nerve - like with the cochlear implant.

Alternatively: Mogwai gig.

You don't need your ears because your brain is vibrating.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hurr, this bedroom has some idiotic design in it.

There's a giant door in front of me. I can't use it because my brother's girlfriend's cat's litter tray is out there. It shouldn't be there, principally because "out of sight, out of mind" makes them both terrible at maintaining it. But it's a single-pane glass door, so any music I play in my room is perfectly transmitted by the over-pressure to the outside, meaning it's much louder in one direction then any other.

I really need my own place, but that doesn't really solve this problem since Bulgarian girl has her own place and the exact same thing because of the fucking retarded way the wall's in her living room were designed.

EDIT: I guess what I need to do is add a second, external door, I guess with a layer of cork on it? That + an air gap would presumably work.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    You could hang some heavy fabric over the door. I'm assuming it's a pane in a wooden frame or suchlike.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Apparently there are "objections" to the mounting of surface to air missile systems on residential tower blocks for the duration of the Olympics.

The reasoning is apparently "terrorism" but I'm struggling to think of a terrorist threat for which surface to air missiles are a useful response. Especially given the likely scale of destruction that would result from shooting something down over an area as densely populated as Central London.

..wait WHAT they want to mount SAM sites in the city?

Oh dear god I didn't think it could get any stupider then the huge brand censorship they are going to use.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options

Oh dear god I didn't think it could get any stupider then the huge brand censorship they are going to use.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17884897

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    G'n'R haven't been good in like 20 years

• Options
    You could hang some heavy fabric over the door. I'm assuming it's a pane in a wooden frame or suchlike.

Aluminium. It also doesn't quite close properly, though I've fixed that by padding closed-cell tape around it in layers (since otherwise the room froze). But it's a good idea, though I was thinking that presumably if I hung that heavy duty sound-deadening material in front of it that would work even better.

Dealing with members of my family on a lot of issues is usually an exercise in frustration, since they all get emotionally invested in random stuff making doing things about it impossible - or more accurately, getting any cooperation. If you just change stuff and don't mention it, then they don't notice or care. But god help you if you mention some logical reasons why something should be changed, and ask for a hand lifting stuff.

The sad thing is, near as I can tell this is true of every aspect of every single thing in any type of human endeavor.

• Options
    Thinking about it, a sheet of corrugated cardboard or bubble wrap taped to the pane would probably cut the worst of it. Your solution is going to revolve around either preventing the sound being transmitted to the glass pane (by putting something sound absorbing in front of it), or reducing the capability of the pane to transmit the sound onwards by increasing the energy required for it to vibrate (rubber mount a bit of roofing lead or somesuch to it).

A friend of mine had this exact problem (albeit with a door composed of lots of small panes) and his solution was to nick some scrap alu-reinforced plastic cladding from his work and stick neatly cut panels of it to the glass with beads of silicone (so there's an air gap). Since he picked white cladding it had the added advantage of looking ok.

• Options
    My Little Pony has some Benny Hill action going on.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg.

• Options
    The sad thing is, near as I can tell this is true of every aspect of every single thing in any type of human endeavor.

Let me tell you a work story: The insurance company I work for also runs a chain of bodyshops. They are terrible at invoicing. The invoices are supposed to be sent to a specific place and we are supposed to pay them within 30 days. They don't. They either never send them in the first place, or don't reference them, or send them to the wrong place, or send them to what is technically the correct place on the understanding that they should then be forwarded to us but aren't, etc.

It is a pain in the arse trying to get the individual sites to correct this for any given invoice. It's always a massive drama of being passed around their office and people telling you that invoicing isn't their job, and "we can't send it directly to you, it has to go to [wrong place]", etc. This will happen several times for any given invoice because they'll say they will reinvoice and then don't.

Now, after six months, unpaid invoices become "aged debt" which is picked up by a person in their finance office. They make up a spreadsheet that is a list of their job numbers, our associated reference numbers, the amount outstanding, and a couple of other details. This is emailed to us every month and someone trawls through it verifying that the amounts are the amount we expect, and paying them. Takes two or three hours but gets a giant stack of invoices paid.

the argument I have been having lately is that it would be far simpler if we just did every invoice that way in the first place, instead of waiting six months to put it on that spreadsheet, just put everything on it immediately. Because we rarely if ever get normal invoices anyway it would be exactly the same process we have now but without the six month delay and the endless histrionics of the bodyshop admin staff.

The amount of resistance I am experiencing to this suggestion is just unbelievable.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Oh Christ the OP of this chat... I once watched 10 straight minutes of Sean Bean death and it was soul destroying. I like Sean Bean, his presence in a movie is my yard stick for whether it's awesome or not.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote: »
    My Little Pony has some Benny Hill action going on.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg.

did you see the big lebowski cameo

ponylebowski.jpg

• Options
    quid, welcome to the jungle sucks

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Washington has SAM sites.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    are the ever gonna release skyrim dlc

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    nah

some game devs still have integrity these days...

• Options
    I'm almost caught up with Parks and Rec, what do I do now? D:

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

There's thousands of mods for the good version.

• Options
    pc sux

• Options
    i'm not waiting for a naked dead people DLC, tav

• Options
    Thinking about it, a sheet of corrugated cardboard or bubble wrap taped to the pane would probably cut the worst of it. Your solution is going to revolve around either preventing the sound being transmitted to the glass pane (by putting something sound absorbing in front of it), or reducing the capability of the pane to transmit the sound onwards by increasing the energy required for it to vibrate (rubber mount a bit of roofing lead or somesuch to it).

A friend of mine had this exact problem (albeit with a door composed of lots of small panes) and his solution was to nick some scrap alu-reinforced plastic cladding from his work and stick neatly cut panels of it to the glass with beads of silicone (so there's an air gap). Since he picked white cladding it had the added advantage of looking ok.

Hm...I guess the main problem is it's hard to test ideas. I think I favor preventing stuff getting to the pane, since it solves other problems like insulation and lack of privacy as well. I think I am going to settle on adding another door, since it's the shortest path to having a frame I can hang whatever else I need on.

• Options
    you know, elendil, if you want more dark fantasy action

you could always

play dark souls

• Options
    Elendil come out next week
    i'd like to but i have a lot going on lately

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil come out next week

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Let me tell you a work story: The insurance company I work for also runs a chain of bodyshops. They are terrible at invoicing. The invoices are supposed to be sent to a specific place and we are supposed to pay them within 30 days. They don't. They either never send them in the first place, or don't reference them, or send them to the wrong place, or send them to what is technically the correct place on the understanding that they should then be forwarded to us but aren't, etc.

It is a pain in the arse trying to get the individual sites to correct this for any given invoice. It's always a massive drama of being passed around their office and people telling you that invoicing isn't their job, and "we can't send it directly to you, it has to go to [wrong place]", etc. This will happen several times for any given invoice because they'll say they will reinvoice and then don't.

Now, after six months, unpaid invoices become "aged debt" which is picked up by a person in their finance office. They make up a spreadsheet that is a list of their job numbers, our associated reference numbers, the amount outstanding, and a couple of other details. This is emailed to us every month and someone trawls through it verifying that the amounts are the amount we expect, and paying them. Takes two or three hours but gets a giant stack of invoices paid.

the argument I have been having lately is that it would be far simpler if we just did every invoice that way in the first place, instead of waiting six months to put it on that spreadsheet, just put everything on it immediately. Because we rarely if ever get normal invoices anyway it would be exactly the same process we have now but without the six month delay and the endless histrionics of the bodyshop admin staff.

The amount of resistance I am experiencing to this suggestion is just unbelievable.

Got one word for you: prepayment.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Games won't play themselves

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Games won't play themselves

don't be a dick

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Aldo wrote: »

Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Just to complete the picture, it is necessary that these payments are broken down by individual job, and it has to be possible to produce copies of records to that effect for the purposes of presenting subrogated losses to a county court.

japan on
  • Options
    I'm unsure where to go to get my hair cut. I went onto an Irish forum to see if anyone had good recommendations, and the first thread returned for "men's haircut" was "ARE METROSEXUALS GETTING WORSE? YOU DECIDE!!!!"

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

What?
    Really?
    Where are they? I wanna see pics!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

What?
    Really?
    terrorist

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

What?
    Really?
    terrorist

I found em, well at least one of them. The one near the White House is pretty well documented as it turns out.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Just to complete the picture, it is necessary that these payments are broken down by individual job, and it has to be possible to produce copies of records to that effect for the purposes of presenting subrogated losses to a county court.
    I'm not sure if it works as sensibly for an intra-company set-up like your insurance company with bodyshops, but what you do is you treat a company like a regular customer. The customer gives you money and you give them what they asked for. If the customer does not give you money you don't give them what they asked for until they fork over the cash.

The way we do it is we send our invoice and tell them to pay us at least 5 days before they have their appointment. We treat all businesses that have gone bankrupt before this way and tell them that we will review the situation every year, depending on how much business they do with us. We also do this with companies that continue to not pay us on time, but this is usually a long and boring process of meetings with managers who will wail on and on about how tough it is to find good employees or how hard it is to pay a bill within 30 days.

By the way, I spoke with one of my customers and he said he received an invoice from Spain that said they would pay within 120 days from first day of the next month after the invoice had been received. He used this as an excuse to pay us within 60 days instead of 30 days. Was gonna ask him if he also spoke Spanish because the Spaniards did it, but thought better of it.

This discussion has been closed.