As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movin on out. The moving thread!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I want to move out.

After three years of living alone, I moved in with roommates a year ago. Well, a year in it sucks. This place is cheap as hell for the Bay Area ($667 a month) but I can't say I still care much for it. My room is perpetually too hot or too cold. I consider one of the roommates a friend but the other I find annoying.

Dang, that is cheap.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm a little scared. With my current bills plus what I am assuming rent and utilities to be, I would only have about $250 a month for groceries and gas.
    Not counting my savings (about 2k) and when I get financial aid and tax refunds, this is going to be tight.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Don't bother moving electronics, Kochi, unless they're small and portable (DSes, for example). Just too fragile and not worth it what with varying voltages and the NTSC/Pal differences.

Otherwise, when I moved to the US I moved 12 boxes of belongings by sea freight for $500. Was about 300 books, 150 DVDs, some glasses/dinnerware (only one glass broke!), clothes, a box of personal papers, etc. It included door to door delivery and took 12 weeks, but cleared customs without a hitch. I used a company called Excess Baggage and I know they do around the world moves, but are UK based, you may want to look into companies that are Canadian based for your own purposes.

That is a super helpful post. My main concern was the weight of my books, and I have less than 300, so. That is good!!

• Options
    Also I had so many people say ditch the books or take the DVDs out of the cases

But for $500 it was worth it to me to take all the books (I did give away ones I'd never re read, but still kept a lot) and it's not really as if DVD cases are that heavy or take up all that much room

I did not regret taking anything over

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Don't bother moving electronics, Kochi, unless they're small and portable (DSes, for example). Just too fragile and not worth it what with varying voltages and the NTSC/Pal differences.

Otherwise, when I moved to the US I moved 12 boxes of belongings by sea freight for $500. Was about 300 books, 150 DVDs, some glasses/dinnerware (only one glass broke!), clothes, a box of personal papers, etc. It included door to door delivery and took 12 weeks, but cleared customs without a hitch. I used a company called Excess Baggage and I know they do around the world moves, but are UK based, you may want to look into companies that are Canadian based for your own purposes.

That is a super helpful post. My main concern was the weight of my books, and I have less than 300, so. That is good!!

Glad I could help!

Sea freight is usually calculated by volume. I think each box had a weight limit but it was fairly high; 35 lbs I believe.

Air freight is usually calculated by weight. It arrives there within days, but is obviously far more expensive.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Janson, your avatar always makes me hear your posts with hyper enthusiasm.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I want to move out.

After three years of living alone, I moved in with roommates a year ago. Well, a year in it sucks. This place is cheap as hell for the Bay Area ($667 a month) but I can't say I still care much for it. My room is perpetually too hot or too cold. I consider one of the roommates a friend but the other I find annoying.

Dang, that is cheap.

'Tis, but I have two roommates, no central anything (just two heaters out in the hallways), and only one shower between us.

I would put a portable A/C in my room except I have no windows, just a sliding door out to a patio I have absolutely no use for. Now that it's warm again, it's usually 80-85 degrees when I wake up in the morning in here.

The only redeeming feature of this place other than its cheapness is that we have a washer and drier. Except the drier barely works. We had it fixed a month ago, but now it's worse and doesn't heat up properly (though last night it miraculously worked again for two loads of laundry, but now it's apparently back to being broken).

I'm really starting to look into buying a condo or something. I think all real estate here is expensive, but I am sick of renting. It literally just feels like shoveling money into a furnace to me. If I'm going to spend $1500 a month to live by myself, I'd at least like it to go toward something. But even that doesn't really get you much here (I just really don't want to live in a place without a washer and drier again.)

• Options
    Also I had so many people say ditch the books or take the DVDs out of the cases

But for $500 it was worth it to me to take all the books (I did give away ones I'd never re read, but still kept a lot) and it's not really as if DVD cases are that heavy or take up all that much room

I did not regret taking anything over

A lot of my books are comic book completely collections, ones I've gotten signed by the authors/artists.. or collected at conventions by indie people and stuff like that. So, yeah. Never getting rid of them, love having them. I didn't collect em for nothing.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah sea freight is the way to go. Companies like the one Janson mentioned would book an entire container, probably a 20 footer, and just ship it as soon as it filled up.
    Or they might book LCL, which means they buy the little bit of leftover space in a container from another exporter.

And yeah, like she said, in sea freight, volume is all that matters, which is great for books since they're usually small but heavy!

Depending on how long you're willing to wait, the price would probably go down too.

I work for an importing company, in case anyone was wondering.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    True story, I kissed one of my friends and she decided for revenge or something to find his girlfriend and insist they kiss too.

it wasn't MY idea

it was HER idea

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Somehow missed that majority of the outlets in new place are 2 pronged :(

Electrician is coming out tomorrow. Rewiring whole house isnt an option due to cost.. anyone know much bout those gfci things? Think that's what they're called

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Fuck this

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    @Kochikens how did that interview go?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm sitting in the Albuquerque international airport.

It is 7:40 p.m. and my flight is at 6:00 a.m.

I'm going to burn the midnight oil with club pop and plotting out a DnD campaign.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    how about you learn to stop being a fat nerd at this airport, zonnie

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    NEVAR!!!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Moving in one month.

Fuck Portland.

I'm glad you're moving then :)

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    @Kochikens how did that interview go?

Good!!

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I just moved last month, trying to solve the riddle of cooling the second bedroom which is lofted. It has a weird awning type window so I cant even stick an ac in it.

Should be fun up there once summer hits.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    One time I lived with @Keith, @potatoe, and @Anjin-San

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    You hussy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    you luv it

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Gah, parents are frustrating. On one hand, they call to inquire about school in the fall and my plans for moving and such. Right off the back, they say they'll be glad to 'take some of the furniture for the house until you move into a bigger place'. Well, that furniture was cheap shit, they know it, and I plan on selling it. So unless they want to pay for it, I'm going to sell it. Especially irritating was that they would just take the queen-sized bed I have, and my brother (who, frankly, is not the cleanest person) would use it. For at least 2 years. Nope, fuck that shit. I have friends willing to store it, or worse case scenario, I'll rent a storage place. I also don't even trust them to keep things like Christmas decorations and shit stored, because everytime they'd get into a disagreement with my sister when she was at school, the first thing they'd do was threaten to throw out her shit. I have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that they don't just want my stuff there as leverage.

THEN they go the opposite direction into 'helpful', and offer to let me use their classy 80's Airstream trailer (which needs some work, but damn I like it) if I could find a mobile park that would let me park it there. Now that is sorely tempting ... but it wouldn't be unlike them to completely rescind the offer. Why can't parents just be normal for once?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's a biological drive that forces children to leave the state there y expanding the gene pool.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »

Aka the house no woman dare enter

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Swill wrote: »
    Fuck this

Basically. The narrative is no longer that of depression, it is of a widening crack of abject anger that cannot be reasoned with, explained or resolved.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    This world is getting too wild!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Man. The prospect of moving between islands sucks. This'll be like... the 7th time in 5 years that I'll be moving, but I've never been constrained with furniture like this. Maybe I'll just go the sea route for most stuff, with bare essentials via air. But then I'm not going to have a car and the idea of driving a u-haul through honolulu scares the shit out of me.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Place now has 3 prong outlets. Not all are grounded though, so off to surge protector land!
    Supposedly have internet now too. Looking forward to testing that when I get home.

• Options
    Guys, my shoulders hurt a bunch.. but it's done. We are all moved in.

• Options
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    neville wrote: »

Aka the house no woman dare enter

Fairly true!

And yeah, I'm pondering "The Move" soon myself.
    Trying to decide if I want to keep my furniture and pay to move it.. or sell it at a loss, but not have to worry about the hassle/cost of moving it.
    Aaaa

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    Hooray! Moving out on June 1

Finally...

• Options
    Gotta find a job and a place to live fuxkkkkkkkk

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hate living in this trailer but am financially stuck here for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    you could live in a van, down by the river

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That's reassuring.

• Options
    Does anyone need sexual favors in exchange for money hit me up

• Options