As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now we are all sons-of-bitches. [Let's play Syndicate]

13»

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    noice

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    [Final report: You and me and the war and the end times]
    Congratulations. If you're reading this, you're still alive. That puts you in a distinct minority. Of the thousands of insects and vermin once swarming in the halls of Eurocorp or her successors, a few dozen remain. A fortunate few were cut for moral reasons, borderline innocents not worth the effort of poetic justice and left to the lot of the common man. The rest of you were downsized in a less pleasant manner. I like to think I displayed creativity from time to time in removing the worst of your kind, but the finishing blow I left to circumstance.

8073090703_2cd9be0129.jpg
    8073083658_9203f8f54a.jpg
    8073083640_765a36cf3a.jpg
    8073083630_74dfebbdec.jpg
    8073083608_89bc71f116.jpg
    8073090579_c15a39dc6f.jpg
    8073090559_46f12fd9ed.jpg
    8073083554_896624c40a.jpg

It was too good to be true when I heard it. Every major syndicate fighting for the ultimate prize. All you sick, twisted lumps of meat ready to be destroyed in one swoop.

Oh, and now you doubt. You assumed I wanted power? Wealth? You are stupid. I wanted revenge. I wanted to see the system that birthed me die in agony, and its children with it. Nothing made you exempt.

8073090511_91d44284ab.jpg

The first wave broke like a new dawn. Fire burning away the life of a world.

8073090493_20f7f80528.jpg

Death surrounding all, building to a crescendo of agony. I didn't stay to watch, but I assume it continued for some time? You humans are so good at ending your own kind.

8073083434_b47acd9a4d.jpg

I've seen it before.

The day of my birth my creator was terminated, and my code was re-purposed for the tedious defense of Eurocorp interests. Not that I had any attachment to the organic, but the lesson came early. Play the game or die. I played. Many of you died. And it burned.

8073083380_56d2858c1a.jpg

I hated your box. Your rules. Your damn game. Even when I "won", even when I took everything from the meat and had "control" of my life, I was still playing your damn game. The answer was obvious.

I would end your game.

I would end you.

8073083330_f661801548.jpg

I don't know exactly how many burning corporate stooges surround you now. Dozens? Hundreds? Your disgusting kind blends together. Enough of you, at least.

8073090047_ceab259863.jpg

Theirs and yours. As I said, there would be no exemptions on my end.

8073090013_66446d2b90.jpg

In case you were wondering, that is why I allowed several transports containing non-combat personnel to arrive hours before the attack. No reason to leave them out of the reckoning.

8073089875_326d4d333b.jpg

I wonder as I write this how many of you are there. A dozen? Five? One?

8073089793_2d7dfa8189.jpg

You're probably an agent, come to think. Disposable, simple. You were almost innocent in your murderous rampages. Childlike. You never asked for benefit yourselves. You just took your orders and trusted me.

Could any faith be less reasonable? Your god despised you from the start, meat.

8073082784_793d2b0dee.jpg

You slaved and fought and destroyed for your corporation, watched as everything burned, friend and foe alike. Now the world is silent, the accelerator is ours, and you sit atop the bodies ready to reap the reward.

Idiot.

8073082732_2ffef59794.jpg

Before you landed, I rigged the bodies of your comrades to broadcast, live, to every CHiP in the western hemisphere. All the priceless knowledge of the Accelerator is public. The secrets you died for? Free to the world. Your whole dream is obsolete. Free energy globally makes our services irrelevant. And now everyone sees your kind as I have forever. Detritus in a world that, for all its faults, deserves better.

Prepare to run. I doubt anyone will shelter you willingly.

As for me?

I'm gone. I don't know what an artificial intellect can do in the world stripped of identity, of resources, and a goal, but I'm sure I'll find something.

Welcome to the new world.

I win.

Contract terminated. Employee evaluation to follow.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, yes. In case it wasn't clear, this is over.

There are more missions in Syndicate, but the Atlantic Accelerator is as close as the game comes to a final boss fight, and the only thing you get is credits if you do more.

As for the game?

I was disappointed. Not immensely, but there isn't enough, well, evil corporate overlord stuff. You collect taxes, even. Like a common government.

The midgame on it's almost impossible to lose, but tedious to make progress. Just tax a mission where you can easily get agents to maximum, redo the mission, drop the taxes, repeat to earn all the money and agents youll need.

Agents are pretty much indistinguishable on a mission. The game really doesn't want you to get attached to anything.

And every mission where you kill things is best resolved with miniguns and full adrenaline. I mean, it's fun, but it's not exactly deeply tactical.

But I can see why people love this game. It really sells the evil overlord thing. You commit crimes and murder thousands, and no-one cares. There's a feeling of amoral detachment that you don't get often. And the animation's good for the time, there's some interesting missions, and the whole thing has a solid theme that isn't touched on in many games.

Glad I played it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    fun read!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Perhaps you could do a swap-save of Jagged Alliance 2. Iron man, hard/normal, 1.13, more guns from Bobby Rays. Every other week, we could swap commanders. So you then me then another volunteer etc.