Options

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I don't like bad things that are terrible like super hero comics, bigots and MMO PvP.

So, out of curiosity, what's your perfect idea for MMO PvP that countless professionals with countless years of experience and work haven't figured out yet?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I don't like bad things that are terrible like super hero comics, bigots and MMO PvP.

So, out of curiosity, what's your perfect idea for MMO PvP that countless professionals with countless years of experience and work haven't figured out yet?

Well, like you said, countless professionals with countless years of experience haven't figured it out yet.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Well, like you said, countless professionals with countless years of experience haven't figured it out yet.

What we have now is pretty good and there's always room for improvement. Let the game come out and have WvW actually settle into a community driven contest where it's performing it's function and not just seeing beta zergs or theorycrafting. Then let it evolve and improve over time in the capable hands of ArenaNet, who have already proven they are very receptive and responsive to community feedback on design decisions and mechanics.

If you still don't like it after that time has passed, then get over it and go play Planetside 2 instead.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    About 11 million people around the world, that's who.

Blizzard isn't going even come close to selling 11 million copies of MoP...

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Make no mistake, MoP will still sell $Texas$.

How does that detract from GW2? Sure, it's important to avoid that title's drop, but it won't do anything more then encourage Anet to do more of what they are already doing; polishing their not WoW clone game and putting it out "when it's ready".

I see no real negative here beyond the obvious wait.

488W936.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I nod at your sage wisdom. I think the MMO marketplace definitely has room for something that is not WOW and pushes the sword & sorcery envelope in a different direction.

Back to my original question, this would now seem to be a natural Thanksiving-ish title with suitable distance between it and the Kung Fu Pandas.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

I don't like kittens. All those sharp pointy teeth and razor-like claws, just waiting to slash you into painfully tiny, tiny bits... dragging dead things around all over the place... leaving the odd mouse-head or bird foot on the middle of the bedroom floor. Have you ever stepped on a newly killed rodent in the middle of the night? Not fun, let me tell you. Plus, a kitten ate my younger sister when she was two. Kittens suck.

Did you know that kittens carry a parasite in their gut that takes up residence in the brains of other animals? This little creature permanently alters the way it's host thinks. Infected mice and rats are actually attracted to the smell of cat urine, making them easier prey for the kittens. That crazy cat-lady who has 12 cats in her tiny-ass apartment and hasn't had a real date in YEARS? Infected. Yes, eight in ten cat owners are infected with this little worm parasite that is making them think that kittens are the cutest thing ever while it is literally eating their brain from the inside out.

Anyone who likes kittens is clearly living on borrowed time. Just wait until your brain starts looking like month-old swiss cheese. Then we'll see how cute those little monsters are.

26904.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So then they "only" sell nine million...

Dammit, don't make me re-hash the whole, "WoW doesn't have 11 million subscribers" thing again.

It doesn't. MoP will sell 3-4 million copies in the first year.

Guild Wars has absolutely nothing to worry about, and their release dates shouldn't have anything to do with WoW.

I can also guarantee you that most people who are excited about GW2 are fed up and have been fed up with WoW. No one is sitting around thinking, "Gosh, am I going to play MoP or GW2...?" And they people who are thinking about both will probably get both, given that GW2 has no subscription fee.

In summary, WoW's plans will have no effect on GW2 sales, other than to drive even more people who are actually looking for something new and fresh, or those who are fed up with the changes to WoW (dumbing it down even more) right into the arms of Arenanet.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I was pretty die-hard WoW. Having every CE is testament to this. I even got the CE of Cata knowing full well I wasn't really into the direction they were going. Hell, I'm still playing it at the behest of friends and I am enjoying my time.

I have less than 0 interest in MoP. For me to buy MoP it would have to release before GW2, and SWTOR would have to completely shut down in the time in between. In that extremely specific scenario, I would buy MoP. Though I admit I'm not under the delusion that my thinking is representative of the market as a whole

• Options
    I was pretty die-hard WoW. Having every CE is testament to this. I even got the CE of Cata knowing full well I wasn't really into the direction they were going. Hell, I'm still playing it at the behest of friends and I am enjoying my time.

I have less than 0 interest in MoP. For me to buy MoP it would have to release before GW2, and SWTOR would have to completely shut down in the time in between. In that extremely specific scenario, I would buy MoP. Though I admit I'm not under the delusion that my thinking is representative of the market as a whole

I agree with your decision, although I probably wouldn't return to WoW and give MoP a go even under those circumstances, given the extent to which I have been uninterested in WoW since last year. It has it's strengths in exploration and some PvE, but it's still a pretty weak expansion over all compared to stuff like BC and Wrath, in terms of overall gameplay and design advancement.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    Sorry to interfer on this lovely chatter, but...

...maybe you still haven't passed by something like this, on your past PvP experiences. Wich I believe, It's a brief sum of why I enjoy PvP.
    More than anything else.

• Options
    Gustavo M wrote: »

...maybe you still haven't passed by something like this, on your past PvP experiences. Wich I believe, It's a brief sum of why I enjoy PvP.
    More than anything else.

What the fuck am I looking at?

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    something terrible

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    It cannot be unseen.

• Options
    Draygo wrote: »
    It cannot be unseen.

Hey Draygo, I'm on the TS3 server, come say hello.

And ya that was a sub par use of Mr. Jenkins.

488W936.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote: »
    It cannot be unseen.

There's a pill for that! (Soon, anyways)

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Sorry to keep on beating at this, but what would be a guesstimated pub date for GW2 ? Thanksgiving, or do we still have a shot at seeing it in August or September ?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    We do not know.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sorry to keep on beating at this, but what would be a guesstimated pub date for GW2 ? Thanksgiving, or do we still have a shot at seeing it in August or September ?

2021 is the current estimate.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

2021 is the current estimate.

I demand margin of error!

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    That's the Valve margin of error: give or take 10 years. More or less. Unless we need more time.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    That's the Valve margin of error: give or take 10 years. More or less. Unless we need more time.

By the time Halflife 2: Episode 3 comes out the people playing it will find a dystopian world ruled by aliens to be quaint.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

By the time Halflife 2: Episode 3 comes out the people playing it will find a dystopian world ruled by aliens to be quaint.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Magic 8 Ball says "maybe".

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    GW2 will be in Q3/Q4, and NCsoft wants it sooner rather than later (meaning before November, which was when Aion was released). So August-September is looking pretty good.

The precise timing will be down to how the beta progresses.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    GW2 will be in Q3/Q4, and NCsoft wants it sooner rather than later (meaning before November, which was when Aion was released). So August-September is looking pretty good.

The precise timing will be down to how the beta progresses.

Meaning next beta's going to be a big test of their new server infrastructure. Which will be good for determining overall progression to release.

488W936.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What're you guys talking about. This already released. I've been playing it all week.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll never release and they'll just let us play the game for a weekend every month or so.

Forever. . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think subconsciously that you're supposed to play Guild Wars 2 once a month on a weekend.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    It all makes sense because why would arenanet delete our characters when the game is already released.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If you read the small print when you were pre-purchasing...

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Gustavo M wrote: »

More than anything else.

I have to wonder if my own WvW play looked like that. I'd like to think my flailing about was a bit more *directed* than his was. Maybe that's why I hate running with the zerg. Too easy to lose track of what you're actually doing.

26904.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

The simplest answer is that when said date is announced, this thread will see 20+ pages in a couple of days if not hours and it will make the thread title and OP immediately. Our overlord does a good job in this thread.

Fuck it. @Corehealer can you make it more obvious in the OP or just perma-include it in the thread title? We answer this every couple of pages. Do people not have Google? That should tell you plenty.

Damn I'm having a bad week...why isn't BWE this weekend. I need to murder people to blow off some steam.

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to this BWE. I might just make a new character and do nothing but wuvwuv.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I should try out some wuvwuv with you guys this time, though I'll be busy on Friday and Saturday during prime time.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    REG Rysk wrote: »

The simplest answer is that when said date is announced, this thread will see 20+ pages in a couple of days if not hours and it will make the thread title and OP immediately. Our overlord does a good job in this thread.

Fuck it. @Corehealer can you make it more obvious in the OP or just perma-include it in the thread title? We answer this every couple of pages. Do people not have Google? That should tell you plenty.

Damn I'm having a bad week...why isn't BWE this weekend. I need to murder people to blow off some steam.

I updated the first part of part 1 of the OP pertaining to pre-orders/pre-purchases to include, in bold and big letters, that there is no confirmed release date. People can also read part 3 of the OP for more details. We don't know and won't know for some time, and predictions atm are for Q3/Q4 2012 prior to November. I personally see September now being the most likely month for release.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The game will release aug 28. This would put the 3 day head start right before my birthday on the 26. This will happen.

• Options
    I played a bit of WvW during the stress test and even though we were outnumbered in the beginning we still managed to do decently. Capturing a supply depot with three people and then a small keep with reinforcements was really cool. Saving an NPC village also started a creep line from their village to the supply depot!

For some reason the enemy was really hesitant to engage at times. It was weird. We ended up lasting longer or succeeding outright because people wouldn't commit to a fight.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I played a bit of WvW during the stress test and even though we were outnumbered in the beginning we still managed to do decently. Capturing a supply depot with three people and then a small keep with reinforcements was really cool. Saving an NPC village also started a creep line from their village to the supply depot!

For some reason the enemy was really hesitant to engage at times. It was weird. We ended up lasting longer or succeeding outright because people wouldn't commit to a fight.

It's the typical mmo pvp mindset: Dying in game kills you in real life.

This discussion has been closed.