Options

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Anyone that was able to get into the guild last beta should still be in for this weekend as well. Considering that there will be people who won't be able to join us for the upcoming event, there's a good possibility that characters will be kicked to make room for new ones.

I do hope, though, that they consider permanently increasing the guild size; either through changing the base amount or making it available as an upgrade through the Architecture tree. If they brought back alliances it would help a lot, but I doubt they'll do that.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I wish I could find the link, but there was an old interview stating there would be no caps on guilds for release.

Who knows how things have changed though.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, you'd have a point except the person who had the highest murder count in the game was a pure crafter. He would make chests and then trap them... then he'd just spread them throughout dungeons for unlucky adventurers to find. BOOM! +1 Murder Count.

You're correct if you're talking about direct combat, but there were TONS of builds in that game that were all effective in their own way. You just needed to be creative.

EDIT: Or the people that would poison food then hand it out to noobs. That was good for a lot of laughs. UO is an entirely different beast than any other game that has come after it. "PvP" occurred a lot on a subtle level..

UO never getting a proper sequel is the greatest crime in online gaming. The level of complete freedom that game offered still offers in so many areas is amazing.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Broad sweeping radical statement.

Good point, there's no place for stealth in our game.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Broad sweeping radical statement.

Good point, there's no place for stealth in our game.

Stealth in PvP has a tendency to ruin my fun. I think they should have stuck with pure high mobility for the thief and not gone the stealth route.

I'm also not the grand arbiter of all things and it just makes me a little sad. It is what it is.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I think the purely-temporary nature of stealth is a good middle ground, almost like having smoke bombs to distract/confuse someone and lose track of them.

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I think for the most part, stealth is 5 seconds or less, right? Then there is the "Revealed" debuff which prevents entering stealth again for several seconds after leaving stealth. Stealth is pretty limited in GW2.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    I think for the most part, stealth is 5 seconds or less, right? Then there is the "Revealed" debuff which prevents entering stealth again for several seconds after leaving stealth. Stealth is pretty limited in GW2.

With two thieves on the field they could pretty much weave in and out of stealth with each other making them very hard to kill. I'm sure with more practice it'd have been less of an issue but it was pretty frustrating.

Plus 5 seconds is a long time in PvP.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I can't count the number of thieves I have killed who were in stealth. If you are all single target stuff in PvP you are kinda doing it wrong. Just another thing to plan for, like enemies.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    steejee wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd have a point except the person who had the highest murder count in the game was a pure crafter. He would make chests and then trap them... then he'd just spread them throughout dungeons for unlucky adventurers to find. BOOM! +1 Murder Count.

You're correct if you're talking about direct combat, but there were TONS of builds in that game that were all effective in their own way. You just needed to be creative.

EDIT: Or the people that would poison food then hand it out to noobs. That was good for a lot of laughs. UO is an entirely different beast than any other game that has come after it. "PvP" occurred a lot on a subtle level..

UO never getting a proper sequel is the greatest crime in online gaming. The level of complete freedom that game offered still offers in so many areas is amazing.

Well, EA owns the license now. Do you expect a proper sequel to ever be made while that's the case?
    Entaru wrote: »

With two thieves on the field they could pretty much weave in and out of stealth with each other making them very hard to kill. I'm sure with more practice it'd have been less of an issue but it was pretty frustrating.

Pretty sure every class has a nasty primary DoT they can inflict. With the right loadout, you can do a lot to then during those 5 seconds even without targeting them.

EDIT: Not to mention traps, AoE, and the like.

naengwen on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    It's actually 4 seconds really (with the trait). The two skills which last longer than 4 secs have some significant limitations in addition to long cooldowns. I can see how it would be annoying, but with the "revealed" debuff, I don't think it is unfair. Those Thieves are trading a lot just to be in stealth half the time at most.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Meh. I'll deal with it.

I just think it's a cheap mechanic is all. I don't blame thief players for using what they have so it's not like I am calling anyone out or anything. Just that I don't like that mechanic in general.

• Options

Not sure if BWE1 was a good benchmark for stealth, as there were some wildly overpowered builds that basically allowed for endless stealth. Will have to see how they've balanced things for this weekend.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Maybe this is the ice cream talking, but I'm starting to make my peace with the inclusion of the Asura. They're dumb and I'll never play one.

I also firmly believe that some designer pitched them as a joke and was floored when some shot-caller (who undoubtedly has a socially-inept weeaboo teenager at home) said it sounded like a good idea.

But whatever, at least GW2 doesn't have a race that was made specifically to lure in pedophiles.

I don't know what it is about me and character design in MMOs, but I have this intrinsic need to make the most uncool character. If I try to make my guy/gal handsome, dashing, adventure bound I'm totally unattached. But my malformed little goblin dude, who does not look badass in his armor, has a charm I can't resist.

My main character in SWTOR was bald and old. The only bald and old guy I ever saw on my server. I loved him so.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »
    Maybe this is the ice cream talking, but I'm starting to make my peace with the inclusion of the Asura. They're dumb and I'll never play one.

I also firmly believe that some designer pitched them as a joke and was floored when some shot-caller (who undoubtedly has a socially-inept weeaboo teenager at home) said it sounded like a good idea.

But whatever, at least GW2 doesn't have a race that was made specifically to lure in pedophiles.

I don't know what it is about me and character design in MMOs, but I have this intrinsic need to make the most uncool character. If I try to make my guy/gal handsome, dashing, adventure bound I'm totally unattached. But my malformed little goblin dude, who does not look badass in his armor, has a charm I can't resist.

My main character in SWTOR was bald and old. The only bald and old guy I ever saw on my server. I loved him so.

@Dr_Keenbean Asura were in the first game. And they look nothing weeaboo whatsoever. Seriously that's some weird shit to say about a race of highly intelligent mad scientist goblins that would probably already be ruling the world if their own form of government didn't have them trying to one-up each other all the time.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'll admit, I don't like how cuddly cute some of the asura appear. But some of them look pretty grizzled, like actual subterranean dwellers.

This guy? Great example of what I like.

asuragoldeneyes.jpg

Girl on left? Little too cutsie, but whatever.

asura-01.jpg

Another neat one.
    Asura_elder_f.jpg

Hewn on
  • Options
    Weaboo?

What's weaboo about this: http://www.freefrag.com/mmorpgs/18916-guild-wars-2-asura-design-matt-barret-asura-week.html

They were essentially naked mole rats that stole shit and I think they're pretty awesome. I love 'non-standard' races that at least try to break away from the 'colored human with funny ears' motif, so having charr and asura both makes me happy.

• Options
    PaiPai Ghost in the Machine Registered User regular
    I like Asura with the more reptilian/black eyes than the more humanoid ones, which I think makes them look like creepy dolls. On the dev blog that talked about their design, originally they were supposed to be more reptilian but they've 'softened' that a lot in GW2 which I think is a shame, but least they still have their pointy teeth.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Bald Ewoks.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Some of the Asura i saw in one of the gameplay videos were pretty hideos, seemed to be a good mix of hideous and 'almost but not quite cutsey'

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    That asura in the third picture looks absolutely hilarious. I like it. The way they look in general is pretty interesting to me, which is one of the reasons why I plan on playing as one on release.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    That asura in the third picture looks absolutely hilarious. I like it. The way they look in general is pretty interesting to me, which is one of the reasons why I plan on playing as one on release.

Welcome to the krewe.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have a thing for playing weird races.

So sign me up for playing a mobile plant.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think the main two races I want to play are Asura and Sylvari.

However my current winner for main is ranger and will have to be norn. Giant Beastly cat lady getting even bigger with signet buff has to happen.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I have a thing for playing weird races.

So sign me up for playing a mobile plant.

Eat sunlight!

488W936.png
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Those leaked asura screenshots from awhile back almost made me want to main an asura. I really, really like their city and I like the new range of 'less pretty' appearances available. Then I swung back into charr territory thanks to Meatoberfest and Dinky.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    Then I swung back into charr territory thanks to Meatoberfest and Dinky.

I respect that.

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    The current asura design combines uncanny valley with the creepy doll look. It's much more unsettling than the more reptilian design

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've seen some more recent screens in which the creepy doll look has been lessened (and the NPC asura I saw in the stress test looked ok), so I'm hoping they'll look pretty cool when they come out. I love the asura in Guild Wars 1, and want them to be just as cool when I can actually play one.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    Gustavo M wrote: »
    Sorry to interfer on this lovely chatter, but...
    I don't like bad things that are terrible like super hero comics, bigots and MMO PvP.

...maybe you still haven't passed by something like this, on your past PvP experiences. Wich I believe, It's a brief sum of why I enjoy PvP.
    More than anything else.

What the fuck am I looking at?

One of my gifts In action, "for teh lulz". Wich Is a rare sight, that only a few carry such a marvelous way of gaming/life these days.

Stupid wrote: »
    Gustavo M wrote: »
    Sorry to interfer on this lovely chatter, but...
    I don't like bad things that are terrible like super hero comics, bigots and MMO PvP.

...maybe you still haven't passed by something like this, on your past PvP experiences. Wich I believe, It's a brief sum of why I enjoy PvP.
    More than anything else.

I have to wonder if my own WvW play looked like that. I'd like to think my flailing about was a bit more *directed* than his was. Maybe that's why I hate running with the zerg. Too easy to lose track of what you're actually doing.

I used to believe In "fair play" and "justice" back In the days. But then, everything changed when IRL started to take most of my free time.
    And my way of gaming has changed dramatically after that. Cheating or not, being outnumbered or not, people trolling you (or not?)... who cares? It's just a game.

Just like... life.

• Options
    I am so excited for next weekend. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to my guardian I made on the stress test.

I had so much fun with him after I knew how the game worked and he quickly became my favorite.

• Options
    The lack of range on the guardian really annoyed me in WvW. Scepter only? I couldn't shoot guys from the fortifications, like other players could. Maybe I was doing it wrong, I don't know. Greatsword was good in structured PvP, but not as effective as a warrior with a greatsword, it seemed.

• Options
    They said in the forums after last BWE they are looking at ways to give guardians some form of ranged option.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Should just give them rifles.

• Options
    Magic bullets.

• Options
    Gustavo MGustavo M Registered User regular
    Harps.
    ....wait, I think that's more appropriate for Minstrels.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Magic bullets.

Why was my first thought when I read this JFK?

Anyway, all our auto-targeting when firing guns seems to make every bullet a magic bullet already.

488W936.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    when I played Guardian on WvW the scepter's Smite skill was hells of good at murdering things that were standing on the wall

beyond that though there isn't any real ranged option, I agree; the staff had a bit of range but it was more like a shotgun than anything with any real long-range effectiveness

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    Magic bullets.

magicbullet.jpg

Seems a bit more melee to me...

fwp.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    You could use the magic bullet to make a sylvari salad with asura dressing

This discussion has been closed.