As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    lately i have been qualifying almost everything i say. it's really weird and unpleasant. it makes it hard to say anything at all. i think it's a habit of talking to my therapist.

organichu: so and so and so... which isn't to say, of course, that a, b, and c. but of course for some people i guess i could see the point that it's actually d, e, and f. it's a crazy world. who really knows?

and i end up not committing to anything and defending everything i say preemptively and not making any real points or revealing any actual feelings.

it sucks.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    lux and lulu have godtier laughs

Wait Cass did you hear my story about lux

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I was so good at fantasy football, too ...

I'll have to get good at fantasy baseball or hockey or something! They play so many more games!

Unless they are Canucks.

*Glares at the ugly yellow jersey hanging in his closet*

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    football is awesome you nancies
    The NCAA is the most overtly corrupt organization in the U.S. And this is a country in which Joe Arpaio and the state of Illinois exist.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    What's the capital of Bogata?

Am I missing something here, I'm pretty sure bogata is the capital of colombia.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

I'm pretty sure a bogata is one of those little shops you can go to and buy magazines and papers at in the city. Silly chat thread.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think in a society where people get their dicks and pussies hurt so easy you just about have to qualify everything or get accused of something chu.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    lately i have been qualifying almost everything i say. it's really weird and unpleasant. it makes it hard to say anything at all. i think it's a habit of talking to my therapist.

organichu: so and so and so... which isn't to say, of course, that a, b, and c. but of course for some people i guess i could see the point that it's actually d, e, and f. it's a crazy world. who really knows?

and i end up not committing to anything and defending everything i say preemptively and not making any real points or revealing any actual feelings.

it sucks.

Holy shit do I know how you feel

I mean, that's not to say that my situation is exactly the same as yours

And I want to be clear that I'm not trying to belittle how much your experiences suck

And and and

• Options

220px-Horyu-ji09s3200.jpg

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

okay be honest is this a good story

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

I'll have to get good at fantasy baseball or hockey or something! They play so many more games!

Unless they are Canucks.

Tell me more about losing in the playoffs 8->

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    I think in a society where people get their dicks and pussies hurt so easy you just about have to qualify everything or get accused of something chu.

The worst part is that attempting to qualify something that you are saying only ever incriminates you

No matter what you're trying to get across you come off like you're trying to say "Now, I'm not a racist, but..."

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Winky were you earlier saying that you wanted to strangle Apo because of that single post in the movie thread or was it something else?

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Unless they are Canucks.

Aren't you a Leafs fan? We'd have to take some time first to explain what the playoffs _are_.

:bz

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    superheroes are awesome and i keep wanting to get into comics but it's just too vast and intimidating and i don't know where to start diving in

I feel this way too.

I want to get into Marvel comics, but (and maybe this is just comic book nerds being comic book nerds) I am told that picking up any particular run of comics is like summer-salting through a minefield.

People who say this are people who dont read funnybooks

I mean, you're not going to injure yourself I you miss a throwaway reference to something from years back

Also the 80s and 90/ were a while ago

Superhero comics have a real hard on for being approachable and not insular right now

You would need zero background to read any of DC's new comics

It doesn't really matter who was in the x-men or avengers a decade ago most of the time

Well the problem is less that I'm worried about not getting the continuity (I have wikipedia afterall), the problem is more that I am told that some comic runs are absolutely atrocious while others are great and figuring out which ones are which is not straightforward.

But like I said, this is coming from the mouth of a girl who is one of those incredibly hard to please types when it comes to media and trashes anything that does not appeal to her.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

The first page of every Marvel/DC book I follow is a summary of what is going on in the story thus far. Very new reader friendly .

Right, but I keep saying I'm not worried about accessibility I'm worried about the comics blowing :P.

You can always pick up anthologies of non-cape stuff like Flight.

Orc stain has a trade out now, and as shown above is effing awesome.

With supers I guess you'd be best off flipping through trades with some guidance from nerds on good bets -- I think Sub-Mariner: the Depths was the best thing marvel did the year it was published and it involves zero zip zilch continuity. Out in hardback for probably $14 on amazon.

I say just go straight to Parker: the Hunter >:3

• Options

okay be honest is this a good story

No not at all

So let me tell you it:

I snapped some photos with a Lux while I was dressed up as Ez and as soon as we were done she turns to me and goes "Ezreal, we need to find you a hard gay."

• Options
    Winky were you earlier saying that you wanted to strangle Apo because of that single post in the movie thread or was it something else?

Yes

But I will acknowledge it is largely my fanboy hype speaking

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @desc did you see my question upthread

also is Parker: the Hunter the Donald Westlake Parker? I need to read that.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Winky, are you cosplaying now?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

Unless they are Canucks.

Aren't you a Leafs fan? We'd have to take some time first to explain what the playoffs _are_.

oh snap

• Options
    edited May 2012

Unless they are Canucks.

I vaguely remember ... sometimes I'd turn on the TV in late April, and hockey would still be on, and the Leafs would be playing!

It seems so long ago now ...

Do they still do that, the playoffs thing? I have to assume they don't, given that we don't play in them any more.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options

I was last weekend

• Options

I was last weekend

I'm going to insult you mercilessly, but it's only to compensate for my jealousy.

• Options

Yes

Haha have you not seen the movie?

Personally I avoid saying negative stuff early in a movie's life cycle unless it is absolutely atrocious, so I can avoid creating seeds of displeasure for those who might otherwise like it

I bet avengers will be a solid 6.5/10 though.

• Options

Unless they are Canucks.

oh snap

Oh, it doesn't hurt any more.

It's like being a Cubs fan.

It's just a burden you learn to live with, in the hopes that one day, one day ...

One day ...

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    superheroes are awesome and i keep wanting to get into comics but it's just too vast and intimidating and i don't know where to start diving in

I feel this way too.

I want to get into Marvel comics, but (and maybe this is just comic book nerds being comic book nerds) I am told that picking up any particular run of comics is like summer-salting through a minefield.

People who say this are people who dont read funnybooks

I mean, you're not going to injure yourself I you miss a throwaway reference to something from years back

Also the 80s and 90/ were a while ago

Superhero comics have a real hard on for being approachable and not insular right now

You would need zero background to read any of DC's new comics

It doesn't really matter who was in the x-men or avengers a decade ago most of the time

Well the problem is less that I'm worried about not getting the continuity (I have wikipedia afterall), the problem is more that I am told that some comic runs are absolutely atrocious while others are great and figuring out which ones are which is not straightforward.

But like I said, this is coming from the mouth of a girl who is one of those incredibly hard to please types when it comes to media and trashes anything that does not appeal to her.

Comic book writers do love to drop shout outs to old characters/events but the way they include them into the story is such that if you have never heard of Jean Grey or the Pheonix Force they go out of their way to explain it all for you.

The first page of every Marvel/DC book I follow is a summary of what is going on in the story thus far. Very new reader friendly .

Right, but I keep saying I'm not worried about accessibility I'm worried about the comics blowing :P.

No one has a NES Zapper light gun to your head.

Or do they?

I'm just saying you guys should tell me which comics don't suck!

THE LIST
    Avengers vs X-Men = Marvel event that just currently started. If you want a simple fun book about your favorite super heroes beating each other up this is a good pick.

Batman (new 52) = If you have any interest in Batman, this is the best Bat book currently (batman&Robin is a very close second). The art is great as is the story.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye = another fun book, high points for art but keeping track of the characters (outside the main cast) can be a little tricky.

Locke&Key = A different animal than the above, no super heroes in tights, deals with some dark subjects but has an excellent story that will make it impossible not to pick up the whole series. Down side: new issues take a while to pop out.

Wolverine and the X-men: I recently got back into Marvel after a long hiatus and this (plus some hulk and iron fist books) was the reason.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i should get off reddit and out of this confessions thread and go eat or play lol or something

• Options

I was last weekend

I'm going to insult you mercilessly, but it's only to compensate for my jealousy.
    415857_3917663425719_1403500424_33609138_1145381950_o.jpg

• Options
    That image doesn't load at work. How glad should I be?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Unless they are Canucks.

I vaguely remember ... sometimes I'd turn on the TV in late April, and hockey would still be on, and the Leafs would be playing!

Do they still do that, the playoffs thing? I have to assume they don't, given that we don't play in them any more.

I think they aren't having them this year
    Yeah, that's it.

>_>

<_<

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I did just had t typed. Ack yet

Wow I am just not in the mood to MEs my iPhone halfway today

Yeah fuck you iPhone

Anyway

Yes

I @'d elldren to let her know as well

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where anime club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where smoke club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

It is called being Pretty Silly it is terminal I'm sorry.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

Yes

Haha have you not seen the movie?

Personally I avoid saying negative stuff early in a movie's life cycle unless it is absolutely atrocious, so I can avoid creating seeds of displeasure for those who might otherwise like it

I bet avengers will be a solid 6.5/10 though.

This is weird to assume when it has a 94% on rotten tomatoes so close to release. I would think it's going to at least be a 7.5/10.

Anyway, I got mad at Apo mostly because he starts off his review with a bolded "appalling" while flaming Joss Whedon.

Like if that doesn't scream "I am trolling. Look at me trolling." I don't know what does.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Also yes, Westlake's Parker. I think I just assumed you had read Darwyn Cooke's adaptation. It (well, they) is probably my single favorite comic of the last few years.

Two-color Cooke and a hard bastard protagonist in crime stories!

desc on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Unless they are Canucks.

I think they aren't having them this year
    Yeah, that's it.

>_>

<_<

:P

I actually found this earlier today on reddit, and I think it's part of the reason I'm enjoying this year's playoffs so much:

stanley+cup+droughts.jpg

Any of the remaining teams could win and I'd be happy for them.

Edit: Except Phoenix because either them or the Bluejackets need to fail soon and become the Quebec Nordiques again.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    I need to qualify what I say in face to face conversations more often, I have lately been making comments which sound innocent in my head until I hear myself say it aloud, and then it's a flurry of follow up comments to nail down what I ment (or more importantly didn't mean).

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I actually feel vaguely nauseous looking at that picture. People cosplaying makes me feel sick like glancing into the room where anime club had meetings in high school. I am not sure why.

people smoking make you feel sick?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I think it is because it reminds me of all the social dysfunction in similar groups i encountered. Like even fairly well adjusted people wearing cat ears, to whatever extent that is possible, make me uncomfortable.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    benarwhal what does the blue represent in that image?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.