As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's International Workers Day

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    did you know the part on the bike where the spoke connects to the wheel is called the nipple

and at some point you should twist the nipple

tee hee nipple

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I bought a bike for commuting when I was actually in riding distance.

Things it had that I wanted to make it cheaper overall and a more pleasant experience:

Chain guard (to protect my pants)
    Front and rear fenders (to keep mud and road shit off of me)
    Drum brakes (not common, but means the bike can be left in the rain and get knocked around and I don't have to sweat it)
    Internal Hub (can shift while not peddling which is great for starting and stopping...also same advantages as the drum brakes)
    Decent road tires makes it a lot easier as well

Bike ended up costing me around $375 - $400.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I hate that tips are an excuse to not pay people living wages

I hate that I'm expected to help pay those wages

a tip should be for above average service, not for just not fucking up

but if you don't tip you're an asshole because then that guy doesn't make any money for doing his job and if that was the case for me I wouldn't give a fuck about good service either

vicious cycle that

tips are bullshit

This doesn't really make any sense, because if they raised waiters' pay, the cost of the food would rise, and you would pay more for it, and you would pay for their wages anyway. I mean, the entire idea of paying for something is that you are paying for the people to work there. That is how the economy works.

It's not like if they raised them, nothing would change except that waiters would suddenly make a better base living.

Langly on
  • Options
    What sucks about tips is that it isn't stable. If you work at an awesome restaurant in a high cost area, you'll make bank pretty regularly. But if you work in a slow area or the restaurant hits a dry spell, you're making 2.13 an hour just standing around doing nothing.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I hate that tips are an excuse to not pay people living wages

I hate that I'm expected to help pay those wages

a tip should be for above average service, not for just not fucking up

but if you don't tip you're an asshole because then that guy doesn't make any money for doing his job and if that was the case for me I wouldn't give a fuck about good service either

vicious cycle that

tips are bullshit

This doesn't really make any sense, because if they raised waiters' pay, the cost of the food would rise, and you would pay more for it, and you would pay for their wages anyway. I mean, the entire idea of paying for something is that you are paying for the people to work there. That is how the economy works.

It's not like if they raised them, nothing would change except that waiters would suddenly make a better base living.

no, but if it were illegal to pay waiters less than the minimum wage (and if the minimum wage were anywhere near enough to live on), tipping could go back to being a way to show your appreciation for a job well done by the waiter, instead of some culturally mandated thing putting the burden of making sure a waiter can pay his rent on your shoulders instead of his employer's

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    but it wouldn't be on the employers, it would still be on the customers! They would still be paying more, and paying the wages.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also i don't like all the math involved and i end up guesstimating and its dumb, it was nice in japan when tax was included in everything and everything ended in 0s or 5s and you didnt have to tip so you knew exactly how much things cost before buying them without doing math

and i was an applied math major, but it's just really annoying when you're having dinner with 6 friends and trying to figure out who owes what and how much

also what everyone else said

poo
  • Options
    the reason to dislike tips isn't that the burden is on the customer, that is always a burden the customer bears.

The reason to dislike tips is that it isn't a stable form of income.

If we got rid of tips, you would still be paying more, it just wouldn't be optional

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the reason to dislike tips isn't that the burden is on the customer, that is always a burden the customer bears.

The reason to dislike tips is that it isn't a stable form of income.

If we got rid of tips, you would still be paying more, it just wouldn't be optional

oh i agree i was just stating an "also"

you guys already said the rest

it blows not knowing how much money you will make in a night based on peoples moods or if you get shitty tables or whatever

poo
  • Options
    you don't have to do exact change on your tips.

Is your bill $20.39? Give the guy four or five bucks.

Just pretend that your dinner is 20% more expensive on the menu than it really is, because that is the way it should operate. If you can't afford to give at least a 20% tip on your meal, don't eat out.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The reason to dislike tips is that instead of way to relatively show your appreciation for good service, they are instead a culturally mandated surcharge on dining that you pay so you can return to an establishment without being labelled, and treated like, a cheapskate.

If you are the kind of person who wants to complain about tips, that is.

The reason to hate having an unstable income is because America has decided that we don't value service employees, and therefore think we should pay them less than a living wage.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I always tip but I'd be open to the possibility of withholding a tip if I was to get actively malignant and unpleasant service

But if I ever went to the US I'd feel like I'd have to tip even if someone tried to bite me

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    i tip right around $5 if its under $25 or so

but on up from that i just double the tax, so 16% ?

if im eating somewhere where im wearing a tie and the tab for me and my date is $195 and im eating next to george bush sr and barbara

then ill tip pretty nicely

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I don't tip much because I am a poor student

The guy waiting my table has a job, I don't

be happy with what you have, man

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    you don't have to do exact change on your tips.

Is your bill $20.39? Give the guy four or five bucks.

Just pretend that your dinner is 20% more expensive on the menu than it really is, because that is the way it should operate. If you can't afford to give at least a 20% tip on your meal, don't eat out.

Real talk here

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I hate when I go somewhere to get say, a teriyaki rice bowl to go, and I have to sign a receipt with a tip field. No, I didn't sit down, nobody came out to serve me. I walked up, said "rice bowl", you shoveled rice and chicken into a bowl and gave it to me. That's not tipworthy.

I do tip heavily at the coffee shop around the corner because some of the folk that work there live in my building.

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    I'm extremely grateful for never having a food service job (fingers crossed that that will continue to be the case) so I tip fairly well. I don't eat out that often, though.

• Options
    tugga wrote: »
    i tip right around $5 if its under $25 or so

but on up from that i just double the tax, so 16% ?

if im eating somewhere where im wearing a tie and the tab for me and my date is $195 and im eating next to george bush sr and barbara

then ill tip pretty nicely

yeah I usually hover around 5 dollars if it is anything below $20. Because I know that getting a 2 dollar tip, even if the tab is something like 10 bucks, sucks when you were waiting on them the same amount of time as a higher cost table.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    To be honest one of the reasons I don't give tips is because they are doing their job

I am not going to give them more money because they are doing their job

They get paid just like every fucker else. Nobody tipped me when I worked at a supermarket or a fast food place, and those were equally shitty, low-paid jobs.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    my only problem with tipping is pickup orders and takeout

who exactly am I tipping in this situation

the lady at the register for handing me the receipt? the cook? do cooks even get tips?

I've never worked in a food place so I do not know

but when I sit down some place it's usually $3-4 for even the cheapest meal

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I also gotta figure out where I would store a bike at home.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »

I'd give you ideas, but then I'd require a tip.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    To be honest one of the reasons I don't give tips is because they are doing their job

They get paid just like every fucker else. Nobody tipped me when I worked at a supermarket or a fast food place, and those were equally shitty, low-paid jobs.

Their job is to deliver your food and take your money. Nothing else. If they do other things that make your experience more pleasant overall, it's silly not to give them something extra for it. If I had the money, I'd do it for supermarket workers and fast-food people as well.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »

getting a hanger to store your bike vertically can save a lot of space

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    The supermarket I worked at didn't even allow me to take tips. I'd get written up if they found out I took one.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

the lady at the register for handing me the receipt? the cook? do cooks even get tips?

I never tip takeout. I don't tip at mcdonald's either. When I was working as a waiter, I never expected tips from takeout orders. Some people did it, but (at my restaurant), when we were on takout duty, we were actually making regular wage so it wasn't a deal.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Rinder wrote: »
    The supermarket I worked at didn't even allow me to take tips. I'd get written up if they found out I took one.

Same where I work. But I still take tips if they're given. (I was given a bottle of wine once from an eastern european couple! it was awesome!) The only person in the store that'd write me up for it is the general manager. Everyone else knows you take what you can get.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Their job is to deliver your food and take your money. Nothing else. If they do other things that make your experience more pleasant overall, it's silly not to give them something extra for it. If I had the money, I'd do it for supermarket workers and fast-food people as well.

Waiters get paid their wages just like everyone else. Yes, waiting tables is a shitty job, I know, I've done it. It sucks balls. But so does plenty of other work, in fact plenty of other work is far worse. They don't get tips. I see no reason why waiters deserve a little bit of additional cash. If a Waiter provides good customer service, then all they are doing is their job, not going above and beyond the call of duty.

Solar on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular

Actually, funny story, waiters don't get paid like every other fucker else. Waiters get paid a lot less than minimum wage!

So, you know, super cool of you, I'm sure the waiters making an awesome 3.35 an hour appreciate your reasoning as to why you stiffed them

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Rinder wrote: »

Same where I work. But I still take tips if they're given. (I was given a bottle of wine once from an eastern european couple! it was awesome!) The only person in the store that'd write me up for it is the general manager. Everyone else knows you take what you can get.

Some customers would ask me to take their bags to the car and attempt to tip me there. I'd usually refuse a few times but I'm not going to fight about refusing a tip.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular

My girlfriend makes $3.40 serving selfish fuckheads like yourself who say exactly this and think that they can clear their conscience by claiming "Hey man it's the just system, I work hard for my money and nobody gives me a tip!"

I bet you -easily- make double the amount she does at your shitty fast-food job, it's fucking insulting that you would even try to compare the two jobs. Do us all a favor and stop eating out until you can afford to tip.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    IIRC Solar isn't a USian.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Actually, funny story, waiters don't get paid like every other fucker else. Waiters get paid a lot less than minimum wage!

So, you know, super cool of you, I'm sure the waiters making an awesome 3.35 an hour appreciate your reasoning as to why you stiffed them

He's in England, big man

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    No one tips take-out. It's not expected.

Tipping is for service - table service, food delivery, baggage handling, drivers and the like. Bagging your food and handing it to you over a counter is not considered service.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Waiters get paid their wages just like everyone else. Yes, waiting tables is a shitty job, I know, I've done it. It sucks balls. But so does plenty of other work, in fact plenty of other work is far worse. They don't get tips. I see no reason why waiters deserve a little bit of additional cash. If a Waiter provides good customer service, then well done. That means they are doing their job, not going above and beyond the call of duty.

While their job is to give you good customer service, that customer service extends to as speedily and accurately as possible giving you your order, then taking your money. Doesn't matter how robotic it is, that's all they need to do. If they provide a more human element that brightens your day then I don't understand the problem in giving them something for it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I know how much waiters get paid. I've been a waiter. We got paid less than the minimum wage, plus a tip percentage. If the tip percentage wasn't enough to bring us up to minimum wage, then we got topped up to minimum wage. That's how a lot of places operate.

Waiting sucks and you get paid fuck all. But I'm not going to give waiters more money than for what I order. If that means they don't get paid as much as they'd like, then I'm sorry, I've never been paid as much as I'd like in my life. If that means that they aren't going to do their job properly, then they aren't a very good waiter.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In this thread, Americans get indignant over the poor tipping habits of foreigners.

Foreigners laugh as they continue make a living wage without tips.

LTM on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jasconius wrote: »

Carry-out tips usually go to the person handing you the receipt. In my experience it works one of a few ways: The carry-out attendant is a server working a 'carry out' shift where they will make better than the normal tipped-employee wages, but still less than minimum wage. Like around $5/hour here in Ohio. Usually those people will be taking a couple tables here and there to make up the difference. Does the restaurant have a counter like Bob Evans or Steak n' Shake? probably a server is running carry-out.

Alternatively it's a back-of-house employee on a non-important job (expo or something) who can walk away and ring someone out without really missing a lot of work. Those people are probably paid minimum wage+

If it's an incredibly busy place but still a sit-down restaurant then there might be a full time carry-out and they probably make minimum wage+

If it's a smaller place that is carry-out only or a really small seating area they might just split the tips. I've never worked at a place like this so I can't say exactly.

And I have never received a tip as cook.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.