As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2012 now with map

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Zoroark173 wrote: »
    Do they have any places that serve these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

Many. Many, many, many. I'm downtown right now, and can think of at least 3 places that sell gyros, falafel, or both within 2 blocks of me. Maybe more.

For those of us Non-seattle-ites which of these aren't in teh list?

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    My favorite is Zaina's, on Pine between 1st/2nd, south side of street. Nice fresh falafel sandwich is about 5 bucks, gyro about the same price (give or take .50-$1 or so), no clue on the hours 'cause I tend to go during lunch. They do proper lunches and meals and plates and stuff too, I think the most expensive thing on the menu was 10 bucks? Total hole in the wall, it's awesome.

Westlake mall food court has a place too, can't miss it, little more expensive, maybe 6-7 bucks. Pretty good, always REALLY busy. Food court in... Um... Next to Chase/AT&T on 3rd between Pike/Pine has a Gyro place too, but I can't vouch for the quality. Pretty sure there's a cart somewhere too.

Honestly, I'd go to Zaina's. The falafel, at least, is the best I've had in the city. It's the furthest, but it's maybe 6 blocks on the flat, and once you get out of the immediate vicinity of the convention center, it goes from "I'll be here a while" to "no line at all". Seattle's really nice to walk around in during the summer, too.

• AutumnotopiaAutumnotopia Registered User regular
    I know that there are many places with gluten-free food, as well as many vegan joints, but does anyone know of any places with diabetic friendly/sugar free desserts or sweets? One of my friends has diabetes, and I was hoping to find him a couple of places where he could grab some dessert if he wanted. I noticed that Cinnamon Works has sugar free stuff, but beyond that I haven't seen much.

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I love this thread every year. Hopefully this year I'll try a few more places

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    We're mostly cooking for ourselves since we're staying at the Homewood, and we'll have aour own kitchenette. But we really want to do at least one sushi night. Any reccomendations for the "best" sushi in Seattle? If it's a bit of a hike that would be okay, but we will not have a car, so it will need to be accessible by public transit.

Suggestions?

26904.png
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Stupid, i'd recommend Red Fin for sushi. Its close, like a couple blocks from PAX. Its right next to the Hotel Max at 7th Ave and Stewart St. I don't know if its the 'best' sushi in Seattle, but i LOVED it. I'm actually flying in a couple days early for my birthday so that i can have my birthday lunch there lol. I thought it was pretty reasonably priced for sushi. Cause don't you know that stuff can get expensive fast! Also, i just saw they're doing Wed all night happy hour. So i guess i know where i'll be on Wed night lol!
    redfinseattle.com/

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So I know I have been slacking on this thread, as we get closer to PAX I'll incorporate a bunch of the suggestions into the main listing. Work has been super crazy so not had time to do updates to the big list. So ready for a break and PAX!!!

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• DennyWatsonDennyWatson Registered User new member
    I suggest Zeek's Pizza.
    Pricing: $$ but since it's pizza it will feed a lot!
    Type of Food: Pizza, salad (and Ben & Jerry's for desert!)
    Address: 419 Denny Way, Seattle, WA 98109
    Distance: about 1.4 miles.

My friends and I have eaten here every time we have traveled to Seattle because it is so good. The people who run the place are extremely nice and hospitable. I highly recommend this place.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Terra Plata is awesome. If you actually like food get there. 1501 Melrose. It's almost a straight shot up Pike.

• ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    13 Coins is open 24 hours, has good food(breakfast served any time), and the decor makes you feel manly and classy.
    Price: $$
    Type of Food: American
    Distance: .7 miles, 15 minute walk

https://plus.google.com/115588822422044842034/about?gl=us&hl=en#115588822422044842034/about

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I ate at a bunch of different places, but these were my 3 mainstays during PAX Prime 2011:
    • Daily Grill Seattle (629 Pike Street, 206-624-8400): Had an awesome steak with tuna tartare, it's gourmet dining at a much lower price than Ruth Chris or Morton's which are also in the area. Highly recommended!
    • Jimmy John's (1420 Fifth Ave / Pike and 6th, 206-623-9500): I ate a ton of J.J. Gargantuan sandwiches with dill pickles and Cherry Cokes, it was FANTASTIC.
    • Urbane (1635 8th Avenue, 206-676-4600): This is the restaurant on the ground floor of Hyatt on Olive 8, they make a killer breakfast. If you have never had a smoked salmon omelette before and that sounds appealing, this place makes an incredible one.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    $5 for $10 worth of food at Pike Place Chowder at Pacific Place Mall (I think 3rd floor).

The Pacific Place Mall is very close to the Convention Center, easily a 5 minute walk. The chowder hear is great and they have tasty sandwich options. Keep in mind you have to order you food through the Living Social takeout page, so I would only recommend this if you have a smart phone or laptop with internet capabilities.

Oh I can vouch for Daily Grill Seattle- it's the restaurant in the Sheraton and they have some fantastic American faire... I would highly recommend the salmon pasta. Jimmy John's is also a great option, and 5x better than a Subway sandwich for what you get at about the same price.

Nazoshadow on
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    $5 for $10 worth of food at Pike Place Chowder at Pacific Place Mall (I think 3rd floor).

The Pacific Place Mall is very close to the Convention Center, easily a 5 minute walk. The chowder hear is great and they have tasty sandwich options. Keep in mind you have to order you food through the Living Social takeout page, so I would only recommend this if you have a smart phone or laptop with internet capabilities.
    Wish I had read your post earlier, all sold out! I might still try them out anyways, hard to find a good chowder.
    Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Oh I can vouch for Daily Grill Seattle- it's the restaurant in the Sheraton and they have some fantastic American faire... I would highly recommend the salmon pasta. Jimmy John's is also a great option, and 5x better than a Subway sandwich for what you get at about the same price.
    Jimmy John's is also crazy fast, one of the times I had my sandwich before taking out my wallet...!

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    So many good suggestions....

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • irikahirikah Registered User regular
    Just discovered the raw bar/restaurant at Taylor Shellfish. Holy **** some of the best seafood I've had in this town outside of the ID (which makes sense since all the restaurants I've worked at have gotten their shellfish from them).

Totally worth a visit if you're a shellfish fan.

.life.laugh.love.
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    Fast Food Map 2012. Doesn't keep with the non-chain ethos, but it was well received last year. :) The point of this map is finding a quick lunch; economy and speed. I've thrown in more of the close restaurant-y places this year with help from the list.
    bcIZ5.jpg

Legend:
    -Green is fast, Yellow is slower sit-down style, Red are the venues.
    -The fuzzy dots are places that I'm not exactly sure where the front door is located.

Clusters:
    -Capitol Hill (just outside the map to the northeast) has lots of great stuff, but be ready for an uphill hike.
    -Pike Place Market; real touristy, but a lot of gems in there... it's tough to go wrong even randomly.
    -Westlake Mall's food court is like any other mall in the U.S.; nothing special besides being fast.
    -Pacific Place is classier, but the restaurants change so often, I don't even know what's there now.

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    I did not have a chance to hit up the Pike Place Market last year, are there any fresh seafood places (as in go out, fish, bring back, prepare immediately to eat) type of places?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I asked Wil last year if there was a place he'd recommend, and he suggested we go to Via Tribunali, so the wife and I will probably hit that up Thursday when we're just roaming the city.

irikah wrote: »
    Just discovered the raw bar/restaurant at Taylor Shellfish. Holy **** some of the best seafood I've had in this town outside of the ID (which makes sense since all the restaurants I've worked at have gotten their shellfish from them).

Totally worth a visit if you're a shellfish fan.

It really is one of the best. They had their 1 year a few weeks ago with free oysters for almost 5 hours. I was so full.

Artereis wrote: »
    I asked Wil last year if there was a place he'd recommend, and he suggested we go to Via Tribunali, so the wife and I will probably hit that up Thursday when we're just roaming the city.

I'd recommend going to Terra Plata. It's closer, it's got more variety and it's really fucking good.

• itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Stupid wrote: »
    We're mostly cooking for ourselves since we're staying at the Homewood, and we'll have aour own kitchenette. But we really want to do at least one sushi night. Any reccomendations for the "best" sushi in Seattle? If it's a bit of a hike that would be okay, but we will not have a car, so it will need to be accessible by public transit.

Suggestions?

Building on this, any recommendations for sushi that's wild-caught or sustainable? And taxis are a valid option as well.

itchbay on
    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • BeauNannersBeauNanners Registered User new member
    I'm from Dallas, and while visiting Austin, I experienced the joy that is poutine. Turns out, the farther you get from Canada, the harder it is to get poutine. I figure though that Seattle is close enough, so it should be easy to come by. Anyone know of someplace to get good poutine? Or bad poutine? I know I have a problem, but at this point, I'll eat poutine from a Waffle House equivalent that sold it if only to satisfy this craving...

• TevaZulTevaZul Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I wanted to create a quick accessible source for fellow Gluten-Intolerant folk to limit the amount of Searching and Ctrl+F'ing we all have to do to find out how to get through PAX without an "Incident". I will keep scouring the forums and this post for tips and new info since this isn't "broad enough a topic" to be its own thread (I had originally created this as its own thread).

Note: I am at work right now so I am able to update this only sporadically until this evening, but I plan on adding menus (if available) and locations to all places listed as well as a overall map when I get a chance.

Also feel free to add your tips for fellow Gluten-free folk on how to travel safe and comfortably with their dietary needs.

THE BIG MAP
    Map in Progress

INSIDE THE CONVENTION
    Coming Soon

OUTSIDE THE CONVENTION
    Portage Bay Cafe::[Ask about Gluten free many items have substitutions]::[Location]

Blue Moon Burgers::[Safe Menu]::[Location]

Cinnamon Works::[Most Everything]::[Location]

Andaluca::[Safe Menu]::[Location]

Wild Ginger::[Gluten Free Items Marked with G]::[Location]

The Cheesecake Factory::[Safe Menu]::[Location (as if you didn't know)]

PF Changs::[Click "gluten free" for Menu]::[Location]

WAY OUTSIDE THE CONVENTION
    Wheatless in Seattle
    Flying Apron
    Cafe Flora::[Ask about Gluten free many items have substitutions]::[Location]

DELIVERY
    Razzi's Pizza

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
    Seattle Gluten Free Registry

TIPS

Charcoal Pills: Remember to use sparingly, but if taken at the first signs of contamination can greatly reduce the side effects of ingesting gluten.

Aloe & Coconut Water: (Just be sure they are Gluten free too) These are great items to help aid in recovery in case of accidental ingestion of gluten.

TevaZul on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

Suggestions?

That's right by my work. My favorite sushi place is Sam's Sushi up on Queen Anne Ave. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Homewood Suites. Very fresh, very good. Sam is an awesome sushi chef. It's a little hole in the wall place (it's across the street from Dick's burgers) but so worth it.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm from Dallas, and while visiting Austin, I experienced the joy that is poutine. Turns out, the farther you get from Canada, the harder it is to get poutine. I figure though that Seattle is close enough, so it should be easy to come by. Anyone know of someplace to get good poutine? Or bad poutine? I know I have a problem, but at this point, I'll eat poutine from a Waffle House equivalent that sold it if only to satisfy this craving...

Skillet's poutine is all right. By that I mean, it's really delicious but not 100% authentic. They have a permanent spot in the Centerhouse (well, maybe it's called the Armory now??) in Seattle Center by the Space Needle. They also have a food truck that roams around. They also have a diner up on Capitol Hill: http://skilletstreetfood.com/diner.php

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• BeauNannersBeauNanners Registered User new member
    vespachica wrote: »
    Skillet's poutine is all right. By that I mean, it's really delicious but not 100% authentic. They have a permanent spot in the Centerhouse (well, maybe it's called the Armory now??) in Seattle Center by the Space Needle. They also have a food truck that roams around. They also have a diner up on Capitol Hill: http://skilletstreetfood.com/diner.php

Thanks a bunch! I'll check it out.

• beyondcelerybeyondcelery Registered User regular
    I work for Caffe Ladro and this year, the store at 801 Pine St is going to do some cool stuff just for PAX Prime:
    - Pine will stay open till 11pm both Friday (8/31) and Saturday (9/1) during PAX
    - We're going to feature a special: Mario's Mocha, which is an awesome deal. Triple shot 12oz mocha for just $4.00!
    - AND I'll be handing out some $1.00 off drink coupons (which you can use on Mario's Mocha or any other drink at Ladro) the whole weekend, so keep an eye out

I'm an omeganaut this year, so I shouldn't be too hard to find... =D

Would you please update the Google doc with the Pine street store's extended PAX hours? Thanks!
    http://www.caffeladro.com/locations.html

• phoophoo Registered User regular
    TevaZul: You forgot Romios/Razzi's up on Greenwood/85th for the "way out there" places. Gluten free people actually get their own menu! Gluten free noodles and pizza crust. Lots of options.

• WaterfiendWaterfiend Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I saw the Foodening thread, which is helpful to those navigating Seattle's myriad downtown restaurants. For those who keep an eye on their eating and spending during PAX, I have to ask: what are the best ways to save cash and eat healthy?

I thought of buying a disposable or collapsible cooler for my hotel room, along with some sandwich fixings from Pike Place, and some plastic wrap. Can anyone recommend places to shop for healthy, low cost foods, and maybe some healthy restaurant specials?

Sorry if I sound like a health nut! :P

Waterfiend on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    1. Go to Subway. 2. Buy chicken ceasar salad, dressing on side. 3. Profit

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    Who eats at Subway anymore? There's a Jimmy John's across from the Sheridan in the little mall there. There also likely won't be much of a line since it's "hidden".

• phoophoo Registered User regular
    The question of the day is: How do you define "healthy?" For some people this means counting calories. For some it is low carb. For others it is carefully avoiding the gluten that makes them ill.

Someone mentioned over in the "new to pax" thread that a grocery store has recently opened up near the convention center. Don't forget to bring reusable bags to any stores you may shop at or you will be charged a few cents per bag.

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    There is a grocery story a few blocks away. I don't remember where though. I end up GPSing it every year.

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    There is actually a Target nearby on 2nd and Pike, it just opened.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    phoo wrote: »
    The question of the day is: How do you define "healthy?" For some people this means counting calories. For some it is low carb. For others it is carefully avoiding the gluten that makes them ill.

Someone mentioned over in the "new to pax" thread that a grocery store has recently opened up near the convention center. Don't forget to bring reusable bags to any stores you may shop at or you will be charged a few cents per bag.

Well, I suppose low-ish calorie would be great. Something I could throw into some Saran wrap (or two of them) and take with me and not feel guilty about eating later would be great. Vegetarian is better but not required. :P

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    There's a FANTASTIC organic, locally sourced and well priced place in the WSCC itself that I eat from every day at PAX. It's tucked away at the back of the.. 3rd floor(?), near where the Rockband stage is setup. It's on the map, you can't miss it. They have great vegetarian and vegan options, including vegan smoothees and bowls. Monkey ball treats for late night energy/snacks, just.. cannot shut up about that place.

The other thing that I'll do at PAX is the "secret" Jimmy Johns or a Quedoba/Chipotle salad from a few blocks away. There are 2 Subways in the WSCC and a Panera Bread within a block. There's a TON of food places with healthy & somewhat-cheap items within walking distance to the center. You are, after all, in the middle of downtown Seattle. And like Rav said, there's grocery stores everywhere. I went to one last year that was in a basement. Great produce section (and beer), and open late.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    There's a FANTASTIC organic, locally sourced and well priced place in the WSCC itself that I eat from every day at PAX. It's tucked away at the back of the.. 3rd floor(?), near where the Rockband stage is setup. It's on the map, you can't miss it. They have great vegetarian and vegan options, including vegan smoothees and bowls. Monkey ball treats for late night energy/snacks, just.. cannot shut up about that place.

The other thing that I'll do at PAX is the "secret" Jimmy Johns or a Quedoba/Chipotle salad from a few blocks away. There are 2 Subways in the WSCC and a Panera Bread within a block. There's a TON of food places with healthy & somewhat-cheap items within walking distance to the center. You are, after all, in the middle of downtown Seattle. And like Rav said, there's grocery stores everywhere. I went to one last year that was in a basement. Great produce section (and beer), and open late.

Wow, thanks. That's super helpful! :D

Ok I finally updated the spreadsheet with a bunch more entries listed in the posts. I also linked the gluten free map and the fast food map in the main post.

vn6ID15.png

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    We save money and eat healthy by staying at the Homewood suites (which is completely full now) and using the little kitchentte to cook for ourselves. There is a QFC supermarket six blocks away, so the very first thing we do after unpacking our bags and setting up laptops and DSes and various electronic gadgets and gizmos, is to walk up to the QFC and buy about $60 worth of groceries to feed ourselves for the week. Produce, pasta, ingredients for homemade chilli, makings for sandwiches, maybe even a small steak or some prok chops that we can bake at some point. And for the first time this year, a small bottle of vodka (Washington used to only sell alcohol at state-run stores). The money we save on food more than makes up for the extra cost of the room.

26904.png
    edited August 2012
    Ok by request I have added a map of all the places in the spreadsheet. Link is in the main post. Now to go recover from that fun :rotate:

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

This discussion has been closed.