As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

19596979899101»

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I went to two board game stores today, containing almost every board game out there, and I couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy. I'm confused.

Yeah I get that too lately. I think someone else nailed it when they said two years of frenzied buying and they were done. I think it's been about two years on the noggin' for me as well. And I'm all for trying games. But with very few exceptions, I think I have all the games I have any interest in actually owning.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I went to two board game stores today, containing almost every board game out there, and I couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy. I'm confused.

Yeah I get that too lately. I think someone else nailed it when they said two years of frenzied buying and they were done. I think it's been about two years on the noggin' for me as well. And I'm all for trying games. But with very few exceptions, I think I have all the games I have any interest in actually owning.

Part of it is that at a certain point, you have more games than you ever get a chance to play on a regular basis. I'm past that point for the moment, but that's mostly because my local gaming club is in the midst of Magic The Gathering Fever, so it's hard to get people into a board game session.

Another year or so, we'll cycle back to being board game-centric, I think.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    I'm STILL waiting for my copy of Smersh.

They just started shipping copies, I lucked out somehow on getting in the first wave. Also you don't get emailed any shipping confirmation so it'll just show up magically.

They've been shipping since last Monday. And according to their website they're shipping out regular orders starting this Monday, so I'm assuming all kickstarter orders should be shipped out by now. Guess my luck of the draw put me in like the very last wave of shipments.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    For those people into X-Wing, cards have finally been posted for Slave 1 and the A-Wing. Still no Interceptor reveals, but soon hopefully.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10741060#10741060
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/896058/runner-up-in-kessel-run-event-in-western-australia

Slave 1 is making me drool in anticipation of more ships that can drop mines. And TIEs with Stealth Devices are going to be wicked.

Also, Mercenary Copilot + Marksmanship on either the Slave 1 or the Falcon is going to be bruuutal.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Man, putting a Stealth Device on Biggs with R2-F2 is going to make him ridiculously sturdy. Also, the A-wing's maneuver dial is very interesting with the 5 speed K-turn. I imagine the TIE Interceptor is going to be similar. Plus all of the straight moves being green makes it super easy to get out and flip around, then come back into a furball without a stress token.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
    Man, putting a Stealth Device on Biggs with R2-F2 is going to make him ridiculously sturdy. Also, the A-wing's maneuver dial is very interesting with the 5 speed K-turn. I imagine the TIE Interceptor is going to be similar. Plus all of the straight moves being green makes it super easy to get out and flip around, then come back into a furball without a stress token.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for the A-Wings.

Also, a TIE Swarm with Stealth Devices? Pretty much immune to alpha-strikes? Whoo.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Funagain has a full X-Wing set for 40% off.

I'm tempted to buy it and I don't even have much interest in the game.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    admanb wrote: »
    Funagain has a full X-Wing set for 40% off.

I'm tempted to buy it and I don't even have much interest in the game.

That's a great price. I have just the core set and I'm interested. If only I could justify it with the wife. Plus another $10 to break into Free Shipping territory. Another TIE? That would be good for 100pt games, right?

Whoah, the expansions are only $9. I guess I'd need two. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    How does Fortress America play 1v1? I'm a HUGE Ameritrash fan and vaguely remember liking the original printing 20+ years ago.

Is there any other way to play Fortress America? Trying to do more doesn't really work. The invading side is only as strong as their weakest player, and I forget which but one of the invaders is always heavily favored to have more points than everyone (yellow I think? Blue and Red have more cities but they're bogged down with more resistance).

I haven't played the new game, but I have recently played the original. It gives you the illusion of having a choice for setup but really every game is the same. The only variation is die and card luck.

If you're not bothered by the same game every time (Axis & Allies) then go for it. Myself I wouldn't go for it unless they significantly altered the rules. In fact I think I'll go over to BGG and check out the new version rule book right now!

Did the original game have event cards? It's been so long that I don't remember, but I think they're new. I think the rules make more sense for 1v1 as well, but the recommended play mode is 3v1.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Man, that Slave 1 is nasty! 6 hull, 4 shields, and two agility? That's one tough customer.

Man, this is going to be a rough year. I've saved my entire adult life, almost a decade now. But now I'm trying to sprint towards having 20% down for a house. If you live in Northern VA with me, you know that's fucking insane.

First thing that doesn't fit into the budget anymore? Board games.

I might actually have to get more than a half dozen plays out of my games before I get bored of them and try to trade/sell them. No more ordering a $100 batch of new games and expansions every month. Cause it'd be a shame to pay for shipping. Better to spend $60 more on games you aren't sure you want than spend $10 to ship just the one game here.

This is my sarcastic way of saying maybe this is a good thing.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, this is going to be a rough year. I've saved my entire adult life, almost a decade now. But now I'm trying to sprint towards having 20% down for a house. If you live in Northern VA with me, you know that's fucking insane.

I might actually have to get more than a half dozen plays out of my games before I get bored of them and try to trade/sell them. No more ordering a $100 batch of new games and expansions every month. Cause it'd be a shame to pay for shipping. Better to spend $60 more on games you aren't sure you want than spend $10 to ship just the one game here.

Bought a house here this year. Could've bought the house of every sibling in my family and my fiance's family for the same price, and each one would've been larger.

But I have a board game room. MY BOARD GAME ROOM.

What is this I don't even.
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Speaking of making life harder on you... Tanga has new Hannibal: RvC for $26 + shipping. :)

Honestly though, congrats on being a man and having solid priorities. Very few people in this country are paying attention to such things right now.

Zombie Nirvana on

Speaking of making life harder on you... Tanga has new Hannibal: RvC for $26 + shipping. :)

Honestly though, congrats on being a man and having solid priorities. Very few people in this country are paying attention to such things right now.

Man, don't I know it. My girlfriend is mostly up my ass about "But what if I want to go on vacation?" and "But we won't be able to go out as much" when I bring up trying to save more. Hell, over the weekend she called me cheap in front of all our friends.

BITCH! I'M TRYING TO BUY A MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE FOR US TO LIVE IN! FOREVER!

Just had to vent.

edited December 2012
    That's also part of being a man. Putting yo goddam foot down. ;)

Zombie Nirvana on

Man, don't I know it. My girlfriend is mostly up my ass about "But what if I want to go on vacation?" and "But we won't be able to go out as much" when I bring up trying to save more. Hell, over the weekend she called me cheap in front of all our friends.

Just had to vent.

I hate to say this, but maybe you shouldn't be buying a house with her and forever both in mind? :P

Well I've had three houses in six years... so you've got a point. Only two women though. Which is strange because they are generally cheaper to exchange. Until you have kids, then it's all out the window.

It's probably not as bad as I make it sound. She's got a lot of redeeming qualities. But she definitely grew up in that spoiled, upper-middle class, daddy's little girl bubble.

The worst part is she thinks she's not spoiled at all. It's everyone else.

She used to ride horses as a kid for god's sake. It doesn't get more stereotypically spoiled than that.

Although I guess the new gold standard for being spoiled is getting a BMW for your 16th birthday and European vacations every year.

It's probably not as bad as I make it sound. She's got a lot of redeeming qualities. But she definitely grew up in that spoiled, upper-middle class, daddy's little girl bubble.

She used to ride horses as a kid for god's sake. It doesn't get more stereotypically spoiled than that.

Although I guess the new gold standard for being spoiled is getting a BMW for your 16th birthday and European vacations every year.

See, I give you credit for staying together, because I have a complete inability to keep that sort of opinion to myself. So, if my girlfriend was blatantly delusional, I'd have been dumped pretty fucking quick. :lol:

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »

Just had to vent.

I hate to say this, but maybe you shouldn't be buying a house with her and forever both in mind? :P

If you think about it, he's got the right mindset either way. Just remove "FOR US TO LIVE IN! FOREVER!" from his "vent". Still works. We just went through the "20% sprint" ourselves. Not an easy hurdle.
    Bought a house here this year. Could've bought the house of every sibling in my family and my fiance's family for the same price, and each one would've been larger.

And bringing the house discussions back to board games, we just got a 4-bedroom house. My wife and I both agreed it would be GREAT for lots of kids, GREAT for guests. But in the back of my mind I'm all, "I'M CLAIMING ONE OF THESE ROOMS IN THE NAME OF CARDBOARD FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS."

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)

See, I give you credit for staying together, because I have a complete inability to keep that sort of opinion to myself. So, if my girlfriend was blatantly delusional, I'd have been dumped pretty fucking quick. :lol:

Oh I've gone off on her a few times over it. Chewed her out the day after she called me cheap. I'm trying to accomplish something pretty major here (home ownership) and I need her support. Not her shaming me in public.

jergarmar wrote: »

And bringing the house discussions back to board games, we just got a 4-bedroom house. My wife and I both agreed it would be GREAT for lots of kids, GREAT for guests. But in the back of my mind I'm all, "I'M CLAIMING ONE OF THESE ROOMS IN THE NAME OF CARDBOARD FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS."

Exactly. We have a spare bedroom. We talked about all the ways we'd make it a spare bedroom. First weekend alone I moved the biggest table and a couple book shelves up there. "Look, honey, it fits all the board game stuff perfectly!"

Oh I am so reserving a room for board games. Although then I run the risk of buying even more games.

Perhaps board games and video games.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    This conversation is awesome!
    You should create a thread for it...
    (I'm not joking, it is very entertaining)

Someone needs to create a thread for this thread before we attract the baleful eye of Echo.

I'm pretty sure that "storage and playspace for boardgames" is probably under the permissible topics for a boardgame thread. Unless Echo has hardlined on that more than I've heard.

I mean 'cause we're at 101 pages.

Ohhhh. Darian and whoever created the last thread have both indexed pretty huge things. If I do it I'm just going to post my old thread, which hasn't been updated in like two years.

edited December 2012
    I'm almost done! I swear! You people and your magical 100 number...

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile

Why not just post it now and edit it later?

edited December 2012

Why not just post it now and edit it later?

oh...

I can do that.

EDIT: Need to get home, will have it up in a couple of hours.

FINAL EDIT: New post up! The thread is dead! Long life the thread!

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile