As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Hotel Discussion

• Options
    thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah I called Homewood Suites this morning and they had my reservation.

thedragongem on
    badge.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I wasn't able to book sunday night at the sheraton when i originally booked because onpeaks blocks were filled up..i just called the sheraton today and booked it manually through them...for cheaper than onpeaks rates o.O hurray..i guess?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Hmmm that is interesting @taliosfalcon . I booked an extra night at Hotel Max directly and even with a AAA discount the rate was more than the OnPeak price. Wonder if Sheraton is on a discount cause they aren't sold out?

• Options
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    Hmmm that is interesting @taliosfalcon . I booked an extra night at Hotel Max directly and even with a AAA discount the rate was more than the OnPeak price. Wonder if Sheraton is on a discount cause they aren't sold out?
    Yeah I dunno, they only had the sunday-monday night free direct, but it was 150$ direct as opposed to the 175 i'm paying for the other nights

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Interesting, my hhonours account doesn't show anything yet. Not going to freak out yet, but with others seeing it in their accounts, I'm slightly worried.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you are worried, Call onpeak. These things don't happen instantly or at the same time for everyone even at the same hotel.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Since you guys are talking about it and i had to call to confirm a mistake was fixed anyway i asked and was told the reservations should/will(cause i can't remember what exactly he said) be going out on Wednesday the 22nd. It does seem that some different hotels already have reservations so it may just be for the Westin since that's where I'm staying, but I'd guess thats the final transfer date for all hotels. So yeah do what zerzhul said if you're really worried and call them, but for at least the westin maybe all of them reservations will be sent out on Wednesday the 22nd

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If you are worried, Call onpeak. These things don't happen instantly or at the same time for everyone even at the same hotel.
    Oh, I am aware they don't happen at the same time, which is why I'm only slightly worried. More than likely they just don't have an association between the reservation and the honours member number (it was created after the reservation was placed on the onpeak site and I was 99% sure I had added the number after the fact)

EDIT: Just called the reservation group, confirmed and made sure it's attached to the honours account. Woo!

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Just as an FYI, The Sheraton does have their reservations for those who might want to check. My boyfriend and I just called 5 minutes ago and confirmed!

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know of any overnight lots near the Sheraton? I dont want to pay $44 for valet :P I know parking at the WSCTC is cheaper but wasnt sure I can park overnight.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Anyone know how much the Westin charges for Wifi and if they do it by usage or just a flat fee? I was planning on just using my data plan for itnernet but unless my bill comes before PAX and separate some people off my data plan IDK how much I'll actually have by the time I get up there. If The Westin does for some unknown reason base their price off how much you use and not just a flat daily rate, and if I can actually get it outside the hotel, I estimate for the entire trip I'll use about 200-300MB maybe half a gig if lines are really boring and I can't find someone to nerd out with.

I do use Verizon and when it comes to going over with them as soon I go over it's $15 and another $15 every time I pass the next Gig mark. So if the worst case scenario happens and I do have no data left over on my plan for the month it'll cost me $15

sanovah on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Jensunami wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any overnight lots near the Sheraton? I dont want to pay $44 for valet :P I know parking at the WSCTC is cheaper but wasnt sure I can park overnight.

Yes, you can park at the WSCTC overnight as long as you get your vehicle in before they close, though it does fill up. It's the cheapest lot that I'm aware of in the immediate area that will let you park your vehicle overnight. In fact, I've done so for the entire weekend in the past without any issues. But this topic is probably best saved for another thread.

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    I have to check and see when my bill is due this month(hopefully its before the convention so I can switch back to my old plan), but while in was in Seattle I was planning on saving and using my data plan to check twitter, these forums, and keep up with the convention since I figured that unless I tried really hard I wouldn't go over roughly a100Mb maybe 200 or 300 if a lot of stuff was happening I had to keep track of online. Sadly when my sister got a new smartphone my parents whose plan I'm still on decided after being lied to be a rep it would be a good idea to switch both of us to the share everything plan. Sadly my sister has somehow found a way to go through almost half a gig of data in just 2 days so with 14 days between now and when I leave I'm not sure how much data I'll actually have for my stay. So since it doesn't look like I'll much if any data left to use unless the bill i never keep track of is due before I leave and I'm able to switch back to my old plan. Does anyone know how much the Westin charges daily for Wifi? If my bill isn't due before the trip and do end up having next to none or no data left over I am on Verizon and they charge $15 for every gig I'm over.

It's $10 a day per device, as per a Yelp review from April of this year. When I was there (a few years ago), they did have free wifi in the lobby, but I could not access it from my room. It wasn't an official hotel at the time. Some (?) of the official hotels give you free wifi, so that might happen.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I have to check and see when my bill is due this month(hopefully its before the convention so I can switch back to my old plan), but while in was in Seattle I was planning on saving and using my data plan to check twitter, these forums, and keep up with the convention since I figured that unless I tried really hard I wouldn't go over roughly a100Mb maybe 200 or 300 if a lot of stuff was happening I had to keep track of online. Sadly when my sister got a new smartphone my parents whose plan I'm still on decided after being lied to be a rep it would be a good idea to switch both of us to the share everything plan. Sadly my sister has somehow found a way to go through almost half a gig of data in just 2 days so with 14 days between now and when I leave I'm not sure how much data I'll actually have for my stay. So since it doesn't look like I'll much if any data left to use unless the bill i never keep track of is due before I leave and I'm able to switch back to my old plan. Does anyone know how much the Westin charges daily for Wifi? If my bill isn't due before the trip and do end up having next to none or no data left over I am on Verizon and they charge $15 for every gig I'm over.

It's $10 a day per device, as per a Yelp review from April of this year. When I was there, they did have free wifi in the lobby, but I could not access it from my room. It wasn't an official hotel at the time. Some (?) of the official hotels give you free wifi, so that might happen.

Thanks for the reply I was hearing anywhere between like $5 and almost $30 i think one review said. So it does look like I'm either going to just bite the bullet and pay extra since I doubt I'll have any data left or pray the bill comes before I leave so I can switch back to my old plan

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    I know this has been a topic in past years but can't find anything recent on it nor last year's topic.
    Tipping the hotel staff.

I usually tip but I am always worried I tipped too little or didn't tip the right staff etc.

Does anyone have some good ground rules on tipping?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I just called the Sheraton. They said they wouldn't have the information until Monday. Dafuq.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    P.D.B. FishsticksP.D.B. Fishsticks Ohio, USARegistered User regular
    GeeCee wrote: »

It's $10 a day per device, as per a Yelp review from April of this year. When I was there (a few years ago), they did have free wifi in the lobby, but I could not access it from my room. It wasn't an official hotel at the time. Some (?) of the official hotels give you free wifi, so that might happen.

I don't know if Westin does something similar, but I travel for work often enough that I've reached Hilton HHonors diamond, which gives me (among other things) free wifi at all of their brands, even those without free wifi. Since free times any number of devices is still free, I've often let friends/coworkers just log into the wifi with my last name and room number.

So if the Westin's reward program offers free wifi at some level and you know someone staying at the Westin who travels frequently, that might be an option.

That said, last PAX I didn't even bother to bring my laptop (I was pretty much only in my hotel room to sleep) and did all Internet stuff on my smartphone, so I didn't even use the hotel wifi.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Serenity wrote: »
    I know this has been a topic in past years but can't find anything recent on it nor last year's topic.
    Tipping the hotel staff.

I usually tip but I am always worried I tipped too little or didn't tip the right staff etc.

My group of friends and I, when doing this at SDCC, do the tip as $2 per person per night stay. So, hypothetically, if you have three folks in the room and you are there from Thursday to Monday, then it would be $24 total (2*4*3); so on and so forth.

Usually, in bigger hotel chains--which could be one you're in--they do a pot and divide it out amongst the house-keeping that helped out in your room those days. I don't remember who I heard that from, but it seems pretty legit to me.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Serenity wrote: »
    Tipping the hotel staff.

Since im on my computer I can actually answer now. I've only really been to nice hotels where you'd you actually even consider tipping in Vegas so my experience is a little limited, but I usually tip between 10 and 20 for stuff that deserves a tip.

sanovah on
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    For anyone wondering about confirming reservations, just call the hotel and confirm. This is easier?

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah. Contact the hotel you will be residing at and ask to confirm your reservation. If they don't have you in there, don't freak out. From the looks of it, some hotels will be getting their bookings updated on Monday while some have theirs already. If it's not there, call back Monday; Wednesday at the latest.

EDIT TO ADD : Moe mentioned this in the FAQ--I think--but if you go to the hotel's website and check on reservation, they will usually request the last name the room is under along with the complete credit card number the person used at On-Peak and it should give you the info.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    For the record I am staying at the Sheraton and they were able to confirm my reservation. MY BODY IS READY

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Moved to another thread

sanovah on
  • Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I just called the Sheraton. They said they wouldn't have the information until Monday. Dafuq.

Huh, strange. Maybe OnPeak didn't transfer all of the reservations. They had ours though.

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    My guy just didn't know what OnPeak was at all. I'm not too worried about it.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    I had a friend that had to drop his reservation to Homewood, just in case anyone still needed a room.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The Roosevelt just emailed me a confirmation.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Anyone here ever stay at the westin and know what the "refreshment" center is? With PAX just over a week away trying to figure out and decide what I can/will do for food up there and how much I will need to spend on food. Sadlt refreshment center is just slightly vague and could be anything from a paper plate and microwave to a fully stocked kitchen. So yeah since it determine how and what I eat. To anyone that's stayed there or any westin before. What exactly is the refreshment center under the dining section of the westins ammenities?

sanovah on
  • Options
    Anyone here ever stay at the westin and know what the "refreshment" center is? With PAX just over a week away trying to figure out and decide what I can/will do for food up there and how much I will need to spend on food. Sadlt refreshment center is just slightly vague and could be anything from a paper plate and microwave to a fully stocked kitchen. So yeah since it determine how and what I eat. To anyone that's stayed there or any westin before. What exactly is the refreshment center under the dining section of the westins ammenities?
    It's just their fancy way of saying horribly overpriced minibar, that has 5$ cans ofcoke and whatnot

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Anyone staying at Mayflower Park or has checked their reservation there? First time using them, or even seeing them in the official hotel list.

• Options
    I'll probably call and ask in the morning but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here.

Does anyone know if the Westin does late checkouts and if so what they normally charge for it? I was going to meet an old friend on Monday before i left for home, but with everything happening on that day in the city we won't actually get to hangout for more than 2 minutes and decided against it. So that leaves me with nothing to do until my almost 6pm flight since the city will be so busy and I'll have luggage. I figure I'll have to actually start heading for the airport around 1:30 or 2 which means I'd only need like an extra maybe 2 hours if it matters.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'll probably call and ask in the morning but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here.

Does anyone know if the Westin does late checkouts and if so what they normally charge for it? I was going to meet an old friend on Monday before i left for home, but with everything happening on that day in the city we won't actually get to hangout for more than 2 minutes and decided against it. So that leaves me with nothing to do until my almost 6pm flight since the city will be so busy and I'll have luggage. I figure I'll have to actually start heading for the airport around 1:30 or 2 which means I'd only need like an extra maybe 2 hours if it matters.

Call the Westin if you want to verify, but generally late checkouts are easy to get and complimentary, as long as you aren't bumping them too close to check-in time (because they need time to clean the room if it's occupied again that night).

Also, there are a number of garages in the area that allow overnight parking, for heaven's sake don't pay valet. I parked at the one across the street last year (next to GameWorks, I could see my car on the roof of the garage from my room at the Sheraton) and it was...god, I don't remember, but not much. I think I even got the "early bird" discount for the third day.

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    I hope this hasn't been asked, did a search and got nothing.

For those of you that have stayed at Crowne Plaza before, do they actually charge the deposit from your card? We're couple of days away from PAX and they haven't taken it out yet, so now I'm confused as to whether or not they're actually going to take a deposit.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    helen0rz wrote: »
    I hope this hasn't been asked, did a search and got nothing.

For those of you that have stayed at Crowne Plaza before, do they actually charge the deposit from your card? We're couple of days away from PAX and they haven't taken it out yet, so now I'm confused as to whether or not they're actually going to take a deposit.

YMMV, but in the past at other hotels (including a different Crowne Plaza in a different state) the "deposit" was more of a hold to check that the card was active (and had funds.) Then if you didn't show up they'd wack you for it as a penalty.
    The Grand Hyatt never charged us a deposit last year (unless it showed up at check in, the point at which we no longer checked our credit card statements because we were too busy.)

• Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    I think the hilton took the deposit from my card over the weekend (not 100% sure as its a bank holiday in the UK today so the transaction hasn't fully gone through yet but doing a quick currency conversion it looks like its the right amount and nothing else is due to go out on that card at the minute)

• Options
    I just called Crowne Plaza and the lady that does the PAX reservations was not in, but another lady said they don't take deposits. If anything OnPeak does? I'm having the lady calling me back just to be sure, because I'm sure no money was ever 'taken out'/set aside on hold out of my bank account.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    I think the hilton took the deposit from my card over the weekend (not 100% sure as its a bank holiday in the UK today so the transaction hasn't fully gone through yet but doing a quick currency conversion it looks like its the right amount and nothing else is due to go out on that card at the minute)
    They did on mine last week just before the weekend. Scared me for a moment as I rarely use the card and I wasn't expecting a charge on it that day (I was thinking someone had done a fraudulent charge until I saw the hotel name).

eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    That's strange wonder why the Hilton takes a deposit but.the westin doesn't/didn't.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Got an answer. The little message that OnPeak gives about deposit is just to le you know some hotels do take deposits, but Crowne Plaza doesn't. Good to know~

helen0rz on
    48vla9t2j9ff.png
This discussion has been closed.