As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Even adding more PAXen won't necessarily fix it, because you get assholes like me that will consider going to multiples. But it helps.
    Yeah, When PAX East was announced I thought it might lighten up the load on Prime as people on the east coast would have their own PAX to attend. Yet still I hear this all the time "I went to PAX East last year and thought it was so awesome that I decided to come over here for Prime".

Yeah I know! But hey, Prime is by far the best, and Seattle is sort of the technology city, so Prime is probably a lot better than East for those two reason; technology and because it has more experience. They need a PAX Central to ease the attendance I think. Not everyone can afford to travel to 3 different cities a year, so hopefully they just pick two, Cental and East... so I can keep my Prime :p

I had some friends go to East this year, and I'm thinking about doing the same next year. So I'll be one of the jerks. ;)

Haven't been to East yet, but from what I hear one nice thing about Prime is the location. The con center itself has some shortcomings, but the area is just...pretty awesome. From what I hear, the con center in Boston isn't in the same kind of area. I mean, it's not in the 'burbs or some industrial hellhole or anything, but it doesn't have quite that same "middle of downtown" feel to it.

• Options
    OneBarOneBar The #1 Super Homie SeattleRegistered User regular
    Just a quick question. I assume the answer to this is that I'm, but, better safe than sorry. I purchased my 3day on the first day passes were on sale, before registration closed last week. I have my email confirmation too. Do I need to do anything because of the closing of registration or am I all good?

• Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    OneBar wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I assume the answer to this is that I'm, but, better safe than sorry. I purchased my 3day on the first day passes were on sale, before registration closed last week. I have my email confirmation too. Do I need to do anything because of the closing of registration or am I all good?

You're ok

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Esoom wrote: »
    What's even worse is now this forum isn't allowing sales because of fears over fake passes... Really? You don't have the capability to prevent this after frauds have been passed around for the past 2 years?

No, we don't. The forums are not equipped for pass sales in ways to prevent scamming and fraudulent passes from being sold here. In previous years it was basically the honor system. Well, that system has broken down as more people have become involved. I wish there was an easy answer to this problem, but right now there are two solutions.

1. Charge more for PAX Passes. Like, a lot more. If a 3-day pass cost $150-200, the number of people banging at the door to get in would go down, and passes wouldn't sell out in hours.

2. More space. Right now this is impossible. When the expansion is finished, then yeah, there will be more space for PAX, until then we're limited by fire code restrictions, and right now the fire marshall says we can't have more people inside the WSCC.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    3. MOAR PAXES ;)

But yeah, it's an issue until there is enough space that every single person who wants to go gets to go. Everything else regarding either fraud or counterfeiting becomes a cat-and-mouse game in general. And here (like on this forum)? Not much you can do at all. So better avoided, unfortunately. Plus, something people may not have considered, but how do you even know that those badges you sell for face value (per the rules) on this forum aren't just getting into the hands of scalpers anyway? You don't. Cat-and-mouse.

• Options
    EsoomEsoom Registered User regular
    I wasn't trying to be a dick towards you or the forums. I'm more speaking on behalf of the actual con. Comic Con has no problem preventing fake badges. Sure it happens, but they can't be sold to others for profit because it has your name ON the badge and if you can't go then you just return your badge and it's put back into the pool. It takes a little more man power and a little more time to get in, but in the long run it prevents things like this from hpapening.

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    What's even worse is now this forum isn't allowing sales because of fears over fake passes... Really? You don't have the capability to prevent this after frauds have been passed around for the past 2 years?

No, we don't. The forums are not equipped for pass sales in ways to prevent scamming and fraudulent passes from being sold here. In previous years it was basically the honor system. Well, that system has broken down as more people have become involved. I wish there was an easy answer to this problem, but right now there are two solutions.

1. Charge more for PAX Passes. Like, a lot more. If a 3-day pass cost $150-200, the number of people banging at the door to get in would go down, and passes wouldn't sell out in hours.

2. More space. Right now this is impossible. When the expansion is finished, then yeah, there will be more space for PAX, until then we're limited by fire code restrictions, and right now the fire marshall says we can't have more people inside the WSCC.

Treat it like the Olympics. Multiple site venues. There's a convention center in Bellevue. If it's that in demand then grab The Key, or start gobbling up all of the conference centers in the various hotels near the convention center. Or go grab the Tacoma Dome.

Then you can start breaking down ticket sales according to events or interests as opposed to "here's a 3 day badge, figure out what you want to do".

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Kouzidan wrote: »
    Even adding more PAXen won't necessarily fix it, because you get assholes like me that will consider going to multiples. But it helps.
    Yeah, When PAX East was announced I thought it might lighten up the load on Prime as people on the east coast would have their own PAX to attend. Yet still I hear this all the time "I went to PAX East last year and thought it was so awesome that I decided to come over here for Prime".
    Yeah I know! But hey, Prime is by far the best, and Seattle is sort of the technology city, so Prime is probably a lot better than East for those two reason; technology and because it has more experience. They need a PAX Central to ease the attendance I think. Not everyone can afford to travel to 3 different cities a year, so hopefully they just pick two, Cental and East... so I can keep my Prime :p

Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll go over really well.

Can't wait to attend PAX Cornfield.

I shake my fist at you from St. Louis. We have a huge convention center actually. Just had the NRA annual convention here several weeks ago. It's significantly different than the WSCC though (primarily expohall oriented as I understand.) And we had a "PAX central mini" when Gabe and Tycho swung by for a book signing tour a few years back (the event that spawned me and the wife going to PAX.)

• Options
    I feel like that would really break up the community aspect of PAX. Not that that will exist in the near future.

• Options
    Evil_Demon55Evil_Demon55 Registered User regular
    Kouzidan wrote: »

Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll go over really well.

Can't wait to attend PAX Cornfield.

Lol I was thinking more like Texas. Damn sports making me think Central America includes Texas.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »

Treat it like the Olympics. Multiple site venues. There's a convention center in Bellevue. If it's that in demand then grab The Key, or start gobbling up all of the conference centers in the various hotels near the convention center. Or go grab the Tacoma Dome.

Then you can start breaking down ticket sales according to events or interests as opposed to "here's a 3 day badge, figure out what you want to do".

Bellevue is just a non-starter. It's a good half-hour between points before traffic, ignoring mass transit. Transit is an hour+. And they HAVE the hotels. PAX basically has "downtown" for the entire weekend. They have streets blocked off just to put a line in them. I can honestly think of no comparable event that takes place here, and I seriously can't think of suitable buildings they could take that they haven't got.

That said, yeah, name-on-pass seems like a logical next step, and I sure wouldn't mind if prices went up enough to cover the logistical overhead of that.

• Options

While I understand the need for liability protection, it sucks that there is no official channel for reselling. At least here people are less likely to do it and at least they could only sell for face value. I trust this community as a whole a lot more than I trust anyone on CL.

I still remember deciding to go last minute in '08 and posting in the 'need a pass' thread and someone sending me a pass for making a small donation to a charity somewhere.

• Options

That would be way to spread out and would never work. The Olympics are a much larger event so they can have multiple cities. PAX has no where near as many people as the Olympics. The Key would be the next closest options, and if they had some sort of service to train people to Westlake for the monorail, it would be even better, but honestly, the Key is way to small.

The system shows passes at $70 then subtracted to $65. What's the point of this? Why not just keep it at $70?

• Options
    HondaCivetHondaCivet Registered User regular

Honestly I don't think the exchange of passes should be allowed. If someone buys a pass and doesn't want to go, they cancel their pass reservation and a slot opens up for someone else. There could even be a waiting list for those open spots. This isn't possible with the current system and would probably be a nightmare to implement and police but I can dream right? :)

I agree that the 3-day price should go up, even though I love how good of a deal it is. A 3-day pass obviously has MUCH more value than what PAX is charging, or scalping wouldn't be such a problem. I'm a little bitter that I had to pick up the individual day passes but even then, 3 days of amazing fun for ~$100 per person is great! Er, plus gas and hotel but at least I'm not buying plane tickets like many of you since I'm just a few hours south.

• Options
    edited May 2012

The system shows passes at $70 then subtracted to $65. What's the point of this? Why not just keep it at $70?

That was used to reflect online vs door prices or 'early' vs 'late' prices. I can't remember which, but it was one or the other back when there were still passes available at the door. It's pretty meaningless now.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Bellevue is just a non-starter. It's a good half-hour between points before traffic, ignoring mass transit. Transit is an hour+. And they HAVE the hotels. PAX basically has "downtown" for the entire weekend. They have streets blocked off just to put a line in them. I can honestly think of no comparable event that takes place here, and I seriously can't think of suitable buildings they could take that they haven't got.

That said, yeah, name-on-pass seems like a logical next step, and I sure wouldn't mind if prices went up enough to cover the logistical overhead of that.

I work in Seattle, live just South of Bellevue. I can get home from work in 20-25 minutes in rush hour. Labor Day weekend is a non-working weekend, which means traffic is even lighter than usual. I'm not saying it's the most ideal solution ever, but if the alternative is only a small percentage of people getting to go to the thing at all, then it's something that probably ought to be considered.

I imagine this will be an easier solution once we've built the new NHL arena in SODO, but that's years away.

As to comparable events, the annual Microsoft employee's meeting draws significantly more people.

• Options
    MountainDewdleMountainDewdle Bikini Designer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I honestly thought I would get a notification email about the passes going on sale but I didn't. 3days are cheaper, that's why we all want those. I cannot afford to pay $35x3 for all three days.

I'm curious though, would there be a way to make it discounted to people who purchase all three days? Like, if I went in and bought the three days could I be discounted to get them for the 3day badge price of $22 each? We'd still save the $40 and be allowed access all three days. I would really appreciate that type of deal than to be totally stuck without the discount of the 3day badge. The main reason people WANT the 3days is because of the discount.

I know you cannot offer MORE 3day badges, but could you offer the discount to those of us who are willing to buy three separate passes? It would be really fantastic for me. I was going to put together a Borderlands 2 costume as well as a FIREFALL costume and wear to the show. If so, I would love to do that. I'm sad I didn't get a notification email (I'm pretty sure I signed up for PAX notifications) about the tickets going on sale...

There are already a bunch of listings for 3day badges on ebay for $250+ Ugh!

Thanks for your time!

• Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    There is no other larger event in seattle besides sporting games.. actually, even football has trouble hitting the PAX numbers.

Transportation in Seattle is crappy at best, and so we're left to our feet.

Personally, I'd like to see better limits on sales beforehand, requiring names for 3-day badges which are transferable through the PAX site. (to reduce scalping) PAX shouldn't go up in price, it runs counter to the spirit of what PAX is.

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    But imagine all the people commuting into Bellevue for PAX. That would be a bloody nightmare. Traffic is bad enough with people LEAVING Bellevue.

• Options
    Eticket109 wrote: »

While I understand the need for liability protection, it sucks that there is no official channel for reselling. At least here people are less likely to do it and at least they could only sell for face value. I trust this community as a whole a lot more than I trust anyone on CL.

I still remember deciding to go last minute in '08 and posting in the 'need a pass' thread and someone sending me a pass for making a small donation to a charity somewhere.

There really should be something for reselling at face value. It sucks that people can make a giant profit from CL and Eb for just selling a ticket at a higher price. With a face value thread, it's all honor system and there should be one off site that is set up by a PAX staff but not endorsed by PAX, just so there can be a place for people to go and get tickets that are not $200-$300.

• Options
    Getting around Seattle isn't too bad if you take the bus, I'd be happy to offer advice there if anyone needs it. Most of the Metro buses are pretty great. Lots of stores around DT Seattle especially sell Metro bus ticket books.

• Options
    Maybe I'm just speaking crazy talk here, but it shouldn't be that tough to tie a resale site in to the registration system.

Obviously when you buy passes, the site has your email address and the number of passes you bought. Shouldn't there in theory be some way to put that to use verifying what someone does or does not have available.

I'm not talking about a forum post but an offshoot to the registration site that is tied directly into the sales/registration database.

• Options
    Maybe I'm just speaking crazy talk here, but it shouldn't be that tough to tie a resale site in to the registration system.

Obviously when you buy passes, the site has your email address and the number of passes you bought. Shouldn't there in theory be some way to put that to use verifying what someone does or does not have available.

I'm not talking about a forum post but an offshoot to the registration site that is tied directly into the sales/registration database.

Like if you cannot make it, then resend the pass back if there is time, or send it to the Sheraton and any passerbys could purchase it if it is in stock. That seems like a possibility, and I do not see what is stopping it.

• Options

At that point you're talking about compiling a database with lists of everybody who purchased, and individually numbering each badge, and then trying to keep track of the movements of each badge number. It's unfeasible. Not only that, but it's an expense they probably don't want to make just to facilitate badge exchanges. Your best bet is to make friends with someone you know can secure them. My lady and I bought 20 this year so that our friends are covered for the event. How would this database effectively track that, since there are 5 badges each going to 4 different locations? It's not difficult to form a little circle with others to ensure purchases are made. Sometimes low-tech and self-reliant is the way to go.

• Options

At that point you're talking about compiling a database with lists of everybody who purchased, and individually numbering each badge, and then trying to keep track of the movements of each badge number. It's unfeasible. Not only that, but it's an expense they probably don't want to make just to facilitate badge exchanges. Your best bet is to make friends with someone you know can secure them. My lady and I bought 20 this year so that our friends are covered for the event. How would this database effectively track that, since there are 5 badges each going to 4 different locations? It's not difficult to form a little circle with others to ensure purchases are made. Sometimes low-tech and self-reliant is the way to go.

According to their twitter account, they do track the numbers going to people's addresses, so they have some sort of tracking out there. It may not be the best, but it could work as long as the pass came back and someone checked over it, and it would only take a few seconds to exam it.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

I work in Seattle, live just South of Bellevue. I can get home from work in 20-25 minutes in rush hour. Labor Day weekend is a non-working weekend, which means traffic is even lighter than usual. I'm not saying it's the most ideal solution ever, but if the alternative is only a small percentage of people getting to go to the thing at all, then it's something that probably ought to be considered.

I imagine this will be an easier solution once we've built the new NHL arena in SODO, but that's years away.

As to comparable events, the annual Microsoft employee's meeting draws significantly more people.

My Redmond->Seattle commute home was regularly 45+. It just varies. It's still not a good option.

And the MS meeting may technically draw more people, but last I heard from my MSite friends, it's just "go pack into Safeco" pretty much. Nowhere near the need for tables, rooms, etc, etc, etc that PAX has. I mean technically any sold-out concert or w/e at one of the stadiums is "more", but that's just not comparable, I think.

• Options
    All I would like for this situation is a discount for buying three days so that I can go. ;o)

• Options
    eStalkereStalker Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    it looks like saturday only tickets are sold now now, too

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    The way E3 does security and avoids scalping seems to work well, with about the same number of folks. your badge, which is mailed to you, has your name on it, and security features. Then before you enter E3, you must pick up a badge holder onsite, which can only be done using government ID that matches the name on your badge and in their system. The badge holder has its own security features, which are easily scanned as people enter the facility.

This discourages counterfeits because nobody can copy the badge holder until the day or two before the show, and by then they are in the convention city. It discourages scalping because the same person who orders the badge must be present at the show to pick up the holder.

• Options
    And to add to the arena, it would still be way to small. There's not enough room for much in NBA arenas, they are mostly seating, and still, KeyArena would still be closing I believe.

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    eStalker wrote: »

0f0ZJ.gif

• Options
    KlingonKlingon Registered User regular
    SATURDAY IS SOLD OUT!!!!

• Options
    YetieeYetiee Registered User new member
    Guess I will not be going to my 5th pax :(

• Options
    KouzidanKouzidan Woodland, WARegistered User regular
    eStalker wrote: »

And with that it looks like my group vacation is no more.

Origin: Kouzidan
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    It's hard to fathom how fast these passes sold out. Absolutely insane.

• Options
    Bummer. Looks like I might have to sit this year out too. ;o\

• Options
    eStalkereStalker Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    i am so sorry for anyone who didn't get the tix they wanted. seattle is a really great place to visit with a ton of stuff to do. maybe you could go fri and sun :( and hit bumbershoot on saturday? or sight see? i'm just trying to be helpful.

• Options
    Seattle is really awesome, that's for sure--I love living here.

• Options
    AnphraxAnphrax TK-4665 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What's wrong with going one day?

• Options
    KoZhanKoZhan RedmondRegistered User regular
    Completely and utterly insane on how fast the passes went. I sense a lot more scalpers this year... Not even a day and people are starting resell them. :[

This discussion has been closed.