As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Spider-Man is not a bloody mutant. He came by his powers by accident. Mutants are born with a gene that usually causes them to develop powers during puberty.

What if his mutant power was to attract radioactive spiders?

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I want to get back into comics but god it's just so

daunting

EvE Online has a gentler curve

We can do it Ludious

Together

I'm going to start reading AvX

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't know much about the comics, but the idea that a guy with a bow can beat Ironman seems... stupid.

That's like Apollo 11 winning a fight against the Enterprise.

Lh96QHG.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm not gonna pretend I know a lot- or anything, really- about comics but I sort of preemptively gave up on them when I learned about the ridiculously powerful dudes who could bend matter and absorb energy and shit. It's like, why should I care about some dude who can jump high or some lady who can spit acid? This dude could collapse our galaxy if he got bored.

gay

My love for a fat, juicy, scrumptious cock in my mouth is not relevant here!

I don't know much about the comics, but the idea that a guy with a bow can beat Ironman seems... stupid.

Special arrows, I'm assuming.

He got bitten by a radioactive plot device.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    dang

chat has probably gone over this a zillion times already but MCA of the Beastie Boys died

that is butts for sure

919UOwT.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Special arrows, I'm assuming.

Oooooooooh, special arrows? Well then never mind.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    There's a few mutants who also have superpowers or upgrades from other shit, which makes things even more confusing.

Wolverine is a mutant, whose natural superpowers include enhanced senses, his healing factor, and claws made of bone that come out of his hands. However, he's had his skeleton laced with adamantium via technology and had a bunch of fucked up knowledge and combat skills programmed in there as part of Weapon X, so he's also kind of a cyborg? Kinda.

And then you have guys that, despite being longtime associated foes of the X-Men, are not (in the original, mainstream comic continuity) mutants but gained their powers through other means.

Juggernaut, for example, is not a mutant. He gets his powers from a magical gemstone that is linked to a cosmic entity. Mr. Sinister is also not a mutant, he's a mutate who was turned into what he is by Apocalypse, who is also a mutant but more importantly has been augmented to nearly godlike power via technology he discovered in ancient Egypt left behind by cosmic beings who had fucked around on Earth thousands of years ago.

And then you have a whole class of hero whose powerset is "Learned hand to hand combat from Captain America".

Hawkeye is the best non powered hero. He is just so cool. His powers are a bow and arrow and a cocky fucking grin and he is right there slugging it out side by side with Thor and whoever.

I loved when he first joined up with the Thunderbolts. Him just jumping around and using the Thunderbolts to take down each other. Smug fucking grin as if he was thinking that he had done this shit with the best in the world for years, and they were nothing more then amateur hour.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What I love about the D&D universe is that at least half of everyone important in the universe are nerdy wizards.

Yes.

Yes this is how it should be.

It's nerds all the way down.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    guys when i start doing pottermore i can't wait to be placed into ravenclaw :3

more like hufflepuff

you're loyal

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Clint Barton? More like Shit Hardon

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I want to get back into comics but god it's just so

daunting

EvE Online has a gentler curve

Buy some non superhero comics, like Ex Machina. Or get a really good superhero comic with only one book to buy, like Invincible, or Runaways (available in trades, as the book was cancelled). Or Defenders, which is a team book unconnected with anything else and is amazing and fun and just a joy to read.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    dang

chat has probably gone over this a zillion times already but MCA of the Beastie Boys died

that is butts for sure

yeah :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEM3dW2oWW4

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

more like hufflepuff

you're loyal

NO I'M RAVENCLAW BECAUSE I'M CLEVER AND WITTY AND BRILLIANT AND STUDIOUS

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What I love about the Marvel universe is that at least half of everyone important in the universe are brilliant scientists.

Yes.

Yes this is how it should be.

"And now that I'm done calibrating my matter reconstitution ray, I think I'll beat up a thief in tights" is like the average work day

edited May 2012

I WILL CUT YOU, STINKY FEET LADY.

Bogart on
    Echo wrote: »
    Spider-Man is not a bloody mutant. He came by his powers by accident. Mutants are born with a gene that usually causes them to develop powers during puberty.

What if his mutant power was to attract radioactive spiders?

1311737497692.jpg

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I only like the main superhero stuff really though I am boring

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Arlington wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say it, but even though I don't really watch it, Modern Family is probably the stronger show.

I don't understand this sentence at all. Why is this some sort of zero sum game? Why can't both be enjoyable or liked for completely different reasons.

You're confused. Different shows duke it out for your attention like gladiators... when you watch a show, it's not because you like it but because you support your team. You can of course support multiple teams, but some matchups are binary and you can't support both.

The team that loses gets cancelled. Once that happens, you're free to abandon the winning show because it was pretty terrible along and clearly not as good now, compared to when you were rooting for it.

This is literally where some people derive their enjoyment from certain types of television.

There are people in my office that obsess over ratings wars between TV talent programmes while not having any particular interest in the programmes themselves, or in fact the people on them.

my feet are fragrant like roses

slytherin all the way

h8as gonna h8

919UOwT.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @desc: that's fantastic. The V.A.S.T. synthesis engine is so fucking powerful. I've fooled around with it before and it's just mindblowing how extensive and deep the possibilities are. You could spend years programming it and still have plenty of room to explore.

They are, in a word, vast.

So it was an electronic music class taught by a late 90s Mac computer type of guy

So everyone in the lab was either trying to write moody hip hop bangers or else they were part of this all in black industrial boy clique

We shared the cassette deck between three keyboards so as you switched channels it would go from "boom bap Boombap *gangster slide whistle*" to black lipstick pumping club industrial and then over to my channel which was clanking noises that I had pitched down an octave and rumbling bass noises

I never met a sound I wasn't ready to pitch down and low pass filter then

Wait, people actually sampled to pitch then? I thought it was common practice to sample an octave higher just so you could get that darkness and grit from pitching down...

It wasn't even my own samples and I had no idea about that technique at the time, despite religiously reading Keyboard and shit

It was just me digging through that damn little window fr their presets and taking them apart and tinkering

And then Inevitably pitching them way way down and burying them in too much bass

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Lud, read Astro City.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

irish roses

God I love spiderman

i went to a club in new york called the brass monkey

they did not play that song even once

what a sham

919UOwT.png

irish roses

racist

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

neeerrrddddd

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    God I love spiderman

And Spider-Man loves you.

more like hufflepuff

you're loyal

NO I'M RAVENCLAW BECAUSE I'M CLEVER AND WITTY AND BRILLIANT AND STUDIOUS

you are only half of those things

guess which

Thomamelas wrote: »

Lud, read Astro City.

Or Top Ten, or Tom Strong. Awesome superhero books by Alan Moore. The first is like NYPD Blue If everyone in New York had superpowers, and the second features a guy who is a cross between Reed Richards and Superman. He has a mechanical butler and a talking gorilla for a best friend.

I will enjoy living in a place where everything I have mailed to me is not stolen immediately upon arrival.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    oh man, just when I thought community was going to have a good, non-spoof episode devoid of cloying saccharine sentimentality, and then they ruined it in the last few minutes

I probably won't watch after this season

If current trends continue, I don't think anyone will.

Harmond's a real ass. It's like he has this vision of combining the contemporary humor, with all it's detached irony and cynicism, with the traditions of a meaningful sitcom. And I'm sure it can be done, but he's not a good enough writer to do it. But in his head he is and he's just saying FUCK YOU THIS SHOW IS BRILLIANT!

I never thought I'd say it, but even though I don't really watch it, Modern Family is probably the stronger show.

It's because Modern Family IS the stronger show.

It makes use of its cast better, does lots of callbacks without alienating new viewers, almost never misfires, and generally always succeeds at entertaining.

I think Community has much stronger single episodes than Modern family could ever hope to achieve, but on the whole, Modern Family manages to be funny and intelligent pretty much every week. And when it goes for emotional resonance, it almost never feels contrived.

there is a reason it has gotten best comedy emmy two years running. And I say this as someone who adores community.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    also Nova is pretty great:

Cosmo.jpg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    But like, some of the best comics aren't super hero comics at all!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @desc: that's fantastic. The V.A.S.T. synthesis engine is so fucking powerful. I've fooled around with it before and it's just mindblowing how extensive and deep the possibilities are. You could spend years programming it and still have plenty of room to explore.

They are, in a word, vast.

So it was an electronic music class taught by a late 90s Mac computer type of guy

So everyone in the lab was either trying to write moody hip hop bangers or else they were part of this all in black industrial boy clique

We shared the cassette deck between three keyboards so as you switched channels it would go from "boom bap Boombap *gangster slide whistle*" to black lipstick pumping club industrial and then over to my channel which was clanking noises that I had pitched down an octave and rumbling bass noises

I never met a sound I wasn't ready to pitch down and low pass filter then

Wait, people actually sampled to pitch then? I thought it was common practice to sample an octave higher just so you could get that darkness and grit from pitching down...

It wasn't even my own samples and I had no idea about that technique at the time, despite religiously reading Keyboard and shit

It was just me digging through that damn little window fr their presets and taking them apart and tinkering

And then Inevitably pitching them way way down and burying them in too much bass

Yeah man. Like, I'm a big synth nerd and I'm all "damn, this shit is tough!" Great fucking synth/sampler

Also, I'm mixing this song and using the apc and keep drifting off to that chick with the apc bathing suit.

I think it's helping.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    i quite enjoy modern family

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.