As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Endless Space] It is a Space 4X! Similar to MoO2! IT IS OUT! It is Worth It.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    How big is the largest galaxy type? I really REALLY love huge games that take aaages. Is this possible or is it generally smaller scale than, say, GalCiv2?

Right now the largest galaxygen is 123 stars, with 1-6 planets at each star.
    KiTA wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    So there are lasers level 1-10 or whatever. There are basically four trees: one weapon, one planet improvement, one ship and colonizing improvement (new hulls and new places to settle are the same tree), and one new resources/science improvements that also has all your advanced combat cards.

There's nothing amazingly interesting about the weapon tree, it's just what weapons and armors you want. Essentially every weapon has a defense just for it, and that defense is useless against the other weapons.

So it's rock-paper-scissors. Didn't one of the RTS games do something similar? AGe of Empires? Empire Earth? Something?

One of the more recent space 4x had the same principle, either Star Ruler or SotS? I'm not 100% sure.

It's a bit of a pain right now because the game doesn't have a log or anything, so you basicly have to constantly check and remember what the enemy is flying. For now I'm just making generalist ships with a lot more firepower than defenses.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    United Empire. Basically humans.
    Cravers are bugs, all consuming like locusts.
    Hissho are of avian descent and prefer honorable combat.
    Sophon are science geeks.

And the last released race (so far) are the Horatio. The most ingenious method for developing a race I've ever encountered. There once was a man who became wealthy beyond imagining. His capital numbered in the trillions... but he was bored. So he set out in a space ship to explore the galaxy. What he discovered was a planet littered with cloning facilities that nobody was using. So he did... and made a race of himself. Wow eh?

That's awesome.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Anyone find themselves unable to move to a system for no discernible reason? There's a system connected to one of mine, the first system I actually scouted (so I was able to move to it before). It was filled with asteroids and gas planets, so I couldn't do anything with it early on. But it was a total dead end, so I just let it sit there. Now I'm ready to actually colonize it, but I can't move to it. I right click on it and nothing happens at all. Anyone else seen that? Am I missing something that's keeping me from moving?

Edit: Fixed it. Turns out I was just making a mistake. Detailed below.

Vi Monks on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sadly I forgot to get some screenshots but my last game is now over. A defeat for the Hissho by economics. I almost one. I had declared war on Horatio and his giant empire. With in 10 turns I had conquered over half of his planets, decimated his fleets and was invading his homeworld from my sneak attack from my former Empire holdings. I had developed the most powerful industry, economy(he had it till I took half his planets away) and military. But he got to the 300,000 dust point first.

It was pretty awesome, finally saw some giant 13-15 ship verse 13-15 ship battles. My fleets after I won my first victory started steamrolling though. The Hissho bonus to damage with a victory I guess stacks according to the official forums. Was a close game, but was hard to lose to an economic victory when I had no way to prevent it at that point.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Anyone find themselves unable to move to a system for no discernible reason? There's a system connected to one of mine, the first system I actually scouted (so I was able to move to it before). It was filled with asteroids and gas planets, so I couldn't do anything with it early on. But it was a total dead end, so I just let it sit there. Now I'm ready to actually colonize it, but I can't move to it. I right click on it and nothing happens at all. Anyone else seen that? Am I missing something that's keeping me from moving?
    Some else own it now?

World's best janitor
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    After seeing so many people rave in this thread about the user interface, curiosity got a hold of me and I bought it.

Boy, what a huge letdown!

Sure, there is a very pretty planet system view, but the rest? It's missing so much basic information that unless you are willing to drill down and click on every single thing each turn or memorize every single little thing you did or need to do, you will have no idea what is going on!

This is a warning to anyone else interested in buying this because it looks pretty: Don't. At least not yet.

The interface has a very, very long way to go to.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    lu tze wrote: »
    Some else own it now?

Sure do. My brother actually got it for me for my birthday yesterday. Very classy of him.

Overall, I'm loving it, but I don't think I understand all the systems quite yet, particularly concerning combat. Take this screenshot, for instance.

I have two battleships loaded with missiles and two battleships loaded with lasers. They each have 300+ attack for their respective weapons. The enemy ships in that screenshot have 0 flak and 23 shields. So why is my beam efficiency only 33%? And more surprisingly, why is my missile efficiency 0%? Anyone know what I'm missing here?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Some else own it now?

Sure do. My brother actually got it for me for my birthday yesterday. Very classy of him.

Overall, I'm loving it, but I don't think I understand all the systems quite yet, particularly concerning combat. Take this screenshot, for instance.

I have two battleships loaded with missiles and two battleships loaded with lasers. They each have 300+ attack for their respective weapons. The enemy ships in that screenshot have 0 flak and 23 shields. So why is my beam efficiency only 33%? And more surprisingly, why is my missile efficiency 0%? Anyone know what I'm missing here?

I think he was answering your question.
    "why can't I move to [the system]?"
    "[does] some[one] else own [the system] now?"

Tamin on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If someone else owns the system, you can only enter if you have open borders with them or are at war.

488W936.png
    Tamin wrote: »
    Some else own it now?

I think he was answering your question.
    "why can't I move to [the system]?"
    "[does] some[one] else own [the system] now?"

Haha, I think you're right! Whoops. To answer that question, no one owns the system, but I figured out what I was doing wrong. It seems you issue movement orders by clicking directly on the star rather than just anywhere in the little selection ring around the system. In this particular case, the star was quite small, graphically, so I wasn't clicking directly on it. Zoomed in and issued to movement order, and now all is well.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Some else own it now?

My guess would be that your ships just instantly vaporized the enemy with beams. As a result, there was a lot of missing (due to beams in phase 1) and a lot of overkill, so beam efficiency went way down. Because your beams destroyed them so quickly, your missiles didn't get a chance to land (as they only get one salvo that lands at the end of each phase) and so your missile efficiency was 0%.

I think.

• ElkoVituciElkoVituci Registered User regular
    So, you guys are enjoying this ?
    Is it really like MOO2 ?
    I heard the combat is like a cinematic, you can't do anything there..

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Yes, sorta, not quite.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so yeah, I didn't realize I could lose if my enemy amassed a crapton of dust, and here I thought sitting pretty on 54k dust I was doing good :(

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just picked this up and started my first game..i appear to be stuck in my own little corner of the galaxy with a about 20 systems with no lines connecting any of them to anything else, so i'm all alone, with no way to get out :(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Reading this thread makes me angry that I wasted $40 on SotS2, $40 that could of been used to buy this game instead.

Garthor wrote: »
    Some else own it now?

My guess would be that your ships just instantly vaporized the enemy with beams. As a result, there was a lot of missing (due to beams in phase 1) and a lot of overkill, so beam efficiency went way down. Because your beams destroyed them so quickly, your missiles didn't get a chance to land (as they only get one salvo that lands at the end of each phase) and so your missile efficiency was 0%.

I think.

That makes sense, and might be what I'm seeing. Either way, I'm really liking the combat in this game, more than I thought I would. Nothing like destroying a 4.5k fleet with my 3k fleet without taking more than 1000 damage. :D

Though the enemy being able to slip right past systems where I have ships placed is certainly making things difficult. I'm pretty sure I read a post from a dev on the Steam forums saying that this is not intended. I do hope it gets fixed somewhat soon, if that's true.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Can anyone give a rundown of the factions?
    eobet wrote: »
    After seeing so many people rave in this thread about the user interface, curiosity got a hold of me and I bought it.

Boy, what a huge letdown!

Sure, there is a very pretty planet system view, but the rest? It's missing so much basic information that unless you are willing to drill down and click on every single thing each turn or memorize every single little thing you did or need to do, you will have no idea what is going on!

This is a warning to anyone else interested in buying this because it looks pretty: Don't. At least not yet.

The interface has a very, very long way to go to.

It's in alpha, don't forget, but this doesn't match my experience at all.

It needs documentation - I don't know how good +11 Deflection is, for example.

But I haven't gotten confused or lost even once. The interface is absolutely brilliant - simple, functional, everything I need to know right there.

I figure I could take a bear.
    so what is the deal with pirates? every single one of my like, 15 colonized systems is getting attacked by 5-10 pirate ships *every* turn, and they seem to come from nowhere. I have fleets stationed enpough everywhere to instantly destroy them but i need to spend a good minute clicking to auto resolve every battle every turn

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    so what is the deal with pirates? every single one of my like, 15 colonized systems is getting attacked by 5-10 pirate ships *every* turn, and they seem to come from nowhere. I have fleets stationed enpough everywhere to instantly destroy them but i need to spend a good minute clicking to auto resolve every battle every turn

They seem to spawn/appear in uncolonized systems more and more as time goes on. If you look at the empty system's paths into your area you can figure where they'll be coming from.

Late game they start taking colonies/colonizing too.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

There's a bug that allows the AI to instantly build huge fleets. I believe it starts to occur around or over 100 turns? That could be what's happening to you now, and thankfully it's been fixed for the next update.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166

They probably took some colonies of a neighbour and are massing giant fleets. This happened during my first game on the newbie ai level. If you are on easy the computer is smart enough not to be wiped out by pirates.

Also I would love some good documentation. But it is Alpha so I figure some stuff isn't implemented yet or will change. For an alpha this game is pretty amazing. I have played final games which were less polished.

Anyone know what locust points for the Cravers does? Because so far I haven't figured it out.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2012
    Dashui wrote: »

There's a bug that allows the AI to instantly build huge fleets. I believe it starts to occur around or over 100 turns? That could be what's happening to you now, and thankfully it's been fixed for the next update.

That sounds like it, it started at around 100 and i'm at 150ish right now. but it isn't the other AI factions doing it, just pirates

taliosfalcon on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

The bright side is pirates currently do not have access to anything over Corvettes. 4 Dread's vs 18-22 Corvettes is fun to watch.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

The bright side is pirates currently do not have access to anything over Corvettes. 4 Dread's vs 18-22 Corvettes is fun to watch.

until it happens 20-40 times per turn :( my last turn, took 10 minutes. and all i did was wait for all the combats to auto resolve then click end turn

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Anyone know what locust points for the Cravers does? Because so far I haven't figured it out.

Every colony the Cravers have gains 1 LP per turn. If a colony has less than 50?(it might be 75) LP it gets a bonus 25% to all FIDS, if it has more than 100 LP it gets a 25% penalty to them.

Last Son wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Every colony the Cravers have gains 1 LP per turn. If a colony has less than 50?(it might be 75) LP it gets a bonus 25% to all FIDS, if it has more than 100 LP it gets a 25% penalty to them.

Ahh, that explains what the depleted thing was on my homeworld my first game. That is a cool way to make the player constantly expanded. I really like how the Cravers were designed. Even if there is a bug group in every 4x, these feel like they are really consuming the universe.

u7stthr17eud.png

Does that happen with the AI players in addition to pirates? If so, that explains a lot about how my current game is going.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wish I could name specific ships in my fleets. Also I wish weapon and ship upgrades changed the ship appearance.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I went ahead and bought this based on all the good word-of-mouth. I'm not sorry!

I'm only a hundred turns in, but so far this seems pretty good, and for the alpha version of an indie game it's goddamn astonishing. The current version is worth about 20$ as-is, can't wait to play with the other races.

I'd like to see some graphical additions, like visibly customisable ships and a few more camera angles for combat - nothing huge, just to keep it interesting long-term. They could also stand to up the size limit on both fleets and galaxies... but the core gameplay elements are all really well-implemented and solid. Any 4x fans still on the fence should know that Dongs Galore personally endorses this videogame.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've been playing this game and I'm loving it. Had a minor nitpick about the Hissho (okay so they're avian-dna aliens, which shouldn't be possible but whatever it's science fiction it's not that bad but... if they're avian dna'd aliens that are more like dinosaurs than modern avians WHY DO YOU SAY THEY'RE PTERODACTYLS WITH FEATHERS PTERODACTYLS ARE NOT AVIAN ARGLBEGHAGRLGHRH!)

Also Horatio. Goddamn Horatio.

But yeah so far it's really fun. Been playing the Sophon so far, they are fun and their ships look good, but I have been running into trouble against the more powerful nearby Hissho who hate me and went to war with me.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah I was doing really well. Large collection of systems. Had big fleets at each point into my holdings and attacked an annoying scout from an alien race next to me. Next thing I know there are fleets that are twice as big as mine could possibly be invading.

I spent the next ten minutes reading then tech tree and found out I could increase my fleet size...

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    For all of you buying it, don't forget you can sign up to their official forums and participate in dev discussion, and submit lore for the game. It's kind of cool, they vote on hero descriptions you submit, for instance.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    About 37 turns in to my first game, and I'm really enjoying it.

Weird thing though, was playing in a basic Spiral with 3 other players.. but when I got the notification that I had explored half the galaxy, I had yet to run into any of them.

Beside that, really fun. However my starting system had a single planet, which is pretty ouch for production or science. Luckily the adjacent system had some nice planets waiting to be munched on by my bugs.

Also--is there any rhyme or reason to how long it takes for an outpost to become a full-fledge, border-having colony? It seemed to take 30ish turns for my adjacent system. Is that pretty much going to be the usual?

Edit: Also also, there is currently a bug where Steam is not generating CD-keys. So no getting your 500 or 1000 G2G points atm.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    For all of you buying it, don't forget you can sign up to their official forums and participate in dev discussion, and submit lore for the game. It's kind of cool, they vote on hero descriptions you submit, for instance.

I have now posted a Sophon hero. Later I will try making a custom faction thing but it's too late at night for that now, that looks super complicated so

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I didn't realize they actually let you post custom factions for actual inclusion, sweet.

Sweeeeet I've got some ideas.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    Played this for like 8 hours today. I thought I was doing awesome, but then it turns out science is not a good weapon against... weapons. And then the guy with the smallest area of influence won the game with economy. Wat.

1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Played some more of this game. Yesterday I saw pirates skulking around my star system really early on. I was scared because I just had a scout and was focusing on building exploitation and improvements. So today I went into the ship editor and loaded a shitload of kinetic guns onto destroyer hulls plus a reflector shield and some armor and then started cranking one out every eight turns.

Pirates are babby now.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I've decided I really suck at this game, I can barely hold off attacks by enemy empires and when I think I am doing well, the other ai faction is all like, oh yeah I have 3 million dust. lolz.

It is really awesome to see the ai adapt to your strategy, I went beam weapons, and laid into one empire hard, and halfway through taking their shit, they started popping out ships with 720 shield on them, a single one easily took out a fleet of 5 of my ships 0_0

My only complaint would be they don't pick up on it very quickly, once I saw that first ship pop out like that I switched up to missiles, and then proceeded to take over all of his space.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I didn't realize they actually let you post custom factions for actual inclusion, sweet.

Sweeeeet I've got some ideas.

Cylons. The good, Atari-lookin' Cylons. Not the "we're lazy/cheap so we're just going to hire actors" Cylons.

Yes.