As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: [Phalla]nce in the Force - Sith Empire(mafia) Are Victorious

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Thoughts
    * Hoth (and thus Shiny New Toys/Retaba) looks OK.
    * Bothawui and Nal Hutta represent a serious clusterfuck.
    * Fondor doesn't add up either, but in a small way.

More in a minute.

Fondor seems the most straightforward to analyze.

My thinking:

Three teams have claimed they went to Fondor last night: INANTP/Malkor, 38th Doe/Peccavi (via INANTP) and Assuran/CaptainPlanet82

The points total indicates that we have points for two teams. This means either one team is lying about going, one team had it's contributions nullified or a random Sith knight went to Fondor.

Of those three, I think we can safely eliminate the last one. We've pointed out many times how important it is to get to 12 points on a planet. We know the Sith targeted at least 3 planets last night (Alderaan, Tatooine and Nal Hutta). Spending two points on a fourth doesn't make any sense when you are trying to reach 12.

Of the teams:

INANTP posted that he and 38th Doe were going to Fondor during the witching hour.

CaptainPlanet spoke for Assuran this morning.

Assuran hasn't spoken up yet. I am VERY interested to hear what he has to add to this discussion.

We know 38th Doe was Jedi. So the discrepancy needs to come from one of the other five. INANTP posted when he was supposed to, at a time when 38th Doe could have contradicted him. I believe they were in the same strike team, so this makes even more sense.

Assuran and CaptainPlanet seem like the outlier here. I am very interested to hear what Assuran has to say about his activities last night, but if the Sith padawans have the ability to stop their knight's progress or something of the sort, the numbers would add up. Similarly, they would probably receive a message stating that they had stopped their master's progress. This would line up well with the post from CaptainPlanet82 earlier, and would provide another reason for his making a fairly simple mistake.

If anyone would like to comment/tear apart (I'm looking at you Infidel), please go ahead.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Mentor is us protecting ourselves. Lead is where we up the influence on a planet for the night. Only one lead can be used on a planet per night, so we can't do stacking shenanigans.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It seems like grasping at straws, to me, and you've seemed a bit off from the beginning with the whole "DO IT OR YOU'RE SITH" PMs you sent out.

I also would like to hear an explanation of what caused those bizarre PMs to be sent out, apparently without council mandate.

Actually, they were mandated by the council, my wording may have been a bit harsher than was desired, but it had been mostly agreed to spend a day meditating before spreading out.

Well, before the general order was told and the idea was torn apart.

Some of your fellow council members seemed to think it was not just a matter of faulty wording...
    Matev told you to check your padawan? Thats...thats not at all what was discussed on our boards...
    Something is amiss here. TRV's plan is much closer to what SHOULD have been sent out.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    If mentor is self-protection, why does it target other players?

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It also acts as a sort of weird seer in the event that we're attacked.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    jdark, here is some info you are missing.

Master Actions:

smoove: mentor SNT
    matev: mentor farangu
    capfalcon: mentor TRV
    kias: lead bothawui
    MrB: lead nal hutta
    warban: mentor INANTP
    anialos: mentor T_A (maybe???)
    Ketbra: mentor infidel

The nal hutta info is particularly interesting, because it means we are way way off of what we should have been at.

It certainly is. Out of curiosity, were the councilors who were leading all supposed to contact knights to assist them?

• Options
    Cayrus wrote: »
    If mentor is self-protection, why does it target other players?

I'm going to hold off on clarifying on that for now, suffice to say it's good to be targeted by it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    No, leading targets planets, not knights. There was limited coordination between masters and knights as per the agreed plan.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Thoughts

More in a minute.

My thinking:

Three teams have claimed they went to Fondor last night: INANTP/Malkor, 38th Doe/Peccavi (via INANTP) and Assuran/CaptainPlanet82

The points total indicates that we have points for two teams. This means either one team is lying about going, one team had it's contributions nullified or a random Sith knight went to Fondor.

Of those three, I think we can safely eliminate the last one. We've pointed out many times how important it is to get to 12 points on a planet. We know the Sith targeted at least 3 planets last night (Alderaan, Tatooine and Nal Hutta). Spending two points on a fourth doesn't make any sense when you are trying to reach 12.

Of the teams:

INANTP posted that he and 38th Doe were going to Fondor during the witching hour.

Assuran hasn't spoken up yet. I am VERY interested to hear what he has to add to this discussion.

We know 38th Doe was Jedi. So the discrepancy needs to come from one of the other five. INANTP posted when he was supposed to, at a time when 38th Doe could have contradicted him. I believe they were in the same strike team, so this makes even more sense.

Assuran and CaptainPlanet seem like the outlier here. I am very interested to hear what Assuran has to say about his activities last night, but if the Sith padawans have the ability to stop their knight's progress or something of the sort, the numbers would add up. Similarly, they would probably receive a message stating that they had stopped their master's progress. This would line up well with the post from CaptainPlanet82 earlier, and would provide another reason for his making a fairly simple mistake.

If anyone would like to comment/tear apart (I'm looking at you Infidel), please go ahead.

I think it would be a good idea to check out the people who said they meditated (maybe get their results?).
    Our group's expedition to bothawui was chosen based on its canonical usefulness, so maybe some sith did as well? I'm not sure exactly if they have planet-targetting powers (unlikely) or if they can choose individual people to cancel out. Since the group assignments were posted publicly in the thread, it woudln't be too hard for some people to organize and try to nullify a few folks while the rest went for planetary control

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Thoughts

More in a minute.

My thinking:

Of the teams:

JABMonkey also claimed to go to Fondor, so 4 teams. Assuming 38thDoe did go to Fondor, that's 2 points accounted for. So at least 2 people are lying about it.

• Options
    That makes sense. The only reason I asked was that I did receive a message about coordinating with a Master on a planet that matches up with your information and I wanted to know if that was a council supported plan and others had been sent out which we could clarify or if it was an anomaly.

In other news: Would you be willing to release the vote breakdown for Shalmelo from the council last night? Knowledge is power.

• Options
    It seems like grasping at straws, to me, and you've seemed a bit off from the beginning with the whole "DO IT OR YOU'RE SITH" PMs you sent out.

I also would like to hear an explanation of what caused those bizarre PMs to be sent out, apparently without council mandate.

Actually, they were mandated by the council, my wording may have been a bit harsher than was desired, but it had been mostly agreed to spend a day meditating before spreading out.

Some of your fellow council members seemed to think it was not just a matter of faulty wording...
    Matev told you to check your padawan? Thats...thats not at all what was discussed on our boards...
    Something is amiss here. TRV's plan is much closer to what SHOULD have been sent out.

Smoove's first quote was because of someone completely misreading the missive. It was an acknowledged mistake. (At least, it was acknowledged in private) The message I sent had pairs of knights investigate RNG'd individuals. This was to help build up a network. The original idea was for them to seer the council, but we decided that we didn't want to make people dependent on us as we expected to die very quickly. That's all it was. We were working with the information we had at the start, nothing more sinister than that.

Hail Hydra
  • Options

Smoove's first quote was because of someone completely misreading the missive. It was an acknowledged mistake. (At least, it was acknowledged in private) The message I sent had pairs of knights investigate RNG'd individuals.

Supported by their padawans, and if they fail to report results to the council, they are assumed to be sith?

• Options

Smoove's first quote was because of someone completely misreading the missive. It was an acknowledged mistake. (At least, it was acknowledged in private) The message I sent had pairs of knights investigate RNG'd individuals.

Supported by their padawans, and if they fail to report results to the council, they are assumed to be sith?

Yes. We figured it was a sound plan and anyone not complying would have something to hide.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Peccavi wrote: »

Thoughts

More in a minute.

My thinking:

Of the teams:

JABMonkey also claimed to go to Fondor, so 4 teams. Assuming 38thDoe did go to Fondor, that's 2 points accounted for. So at least 2 people are lying about it.

Peccavi, I can't find where JABMonkey said he was going to Fondor. Can you point me to the post or was it a PM?

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Thoughts

More in a minute.

My thinking:

Of the teams:

Assuran and CaptainPlanet seem like the outliere here. I am very interested to hear what Assuran has to say about his activities last night, but if the Sith padawans have the ability to stop their knight's progress or something of the sort, the numbers would add up. Similarly, they would probably receive a message stating that they had stopped their master's progress. This would line up well with the post from CaptainPlanet82 earlier, and would provide another reason for his making a fairly simple mistake.

Peccavi, I can't find where JABMonkey said he was going to Fondor. Can you point me to the post or was it a PM?

Don't know where it was said, but it's on the spreadsheet, unless I'm looking at an outdated one.

• Options

Master Actions:

The nal hutta info is particularly interesting, because it means we are way way off of what we should have been at.
    Huh, you know what's interesting? If shalmelo had Supported Farangu, we should have been at +9. And we were at -9. I wonder if that's coincidence.

It's possible that if everyone (or at least the knights and master) that went to Nal Hutta was evil and evil powers were just mirrors of ours that would account for the difference, but it's also possible and likely that the sith have some sort of planet influence nuke to help them capture planets.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Lol I tried to spreadsheet once...Never again.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What slip? CaptainPlanet is hardly the only padawan who got a message acknowledging he supported his master. Are we saying there is something suspicious in that the message did not inform him of the result?

The other padawans who got support messages were all from meditation. CapPlanet seems to be the only one who got one from a mission.

Well, that we know of so far. Have we polled all the padawans yet?

I learned (very) early in my phalla career to be mistrustful of these supposed "gotcha" moments.

:D

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Master Actions:

Was this known to the council all? I assume it had to have been.
    Thoughts

More in a minute.

As pointed out, Bothawui and Nal Hutta seem to have been messed with, and if there is a spy on the council then they knew which planets the council was going after right?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Langly wrote: »
    What slip? CaptainPlanet is hardly the only padawan who got a message acknowledging he supported his master. Are we saying there is something suspicious in that the message did not inform him of the result?

The other padawans who got support messages were all from meditation. CapPlanet seems to be the only one who got one from a mission.

Well, that we know of so far. Have we polled all the padawans yet?

I learned (very) early in my phalla career to be mistrustful of these supposed "gotcha" moments.

:D

Of course, my double-secret victory condition in every phalla remains bringing about your death, Langly.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Master Actions:

Was this known to the council all? I assume it had to have been.
    Thoughts

More in a minute.

As pointed out, Bothawui and Nal Hutta seem to have been messed with, and if there is a spy on the council then they knew which planets the council was going after right?

Info was posted after vote close, and mostly before narration. Both lead actions were posted before narration.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yes, the hullabaloo on the first day over the PM's Matev sent were a combination of a few things:

1) REG misread Matev's PM and claimed it said something it did not, leading me to conclude that Matev sent out the wrong PM
    2) I think Matev overstated the "Do it or SITH!" part of the plan
    Farangu wrote: »
    Retaba wrote: »
    Also, Farangu their power comes from cour-haha I can't spell that planet's name.

I don't care where it comes from. All I see is that now there is another group of people that can kill(and, looking at the lack of deaths for a main, kill more effectively than the sith) and that we are supposed to trust them.

Once again...unease.

The Council is aware that you have a complaint. Please send it via missive or Padawan to the complaint department located at 7 Maple Ave, Coruscant. Rememer, the Jedi Council is a Force for YOU!
    politician-thumbs-up.jpg

Also, there seems to be some grumblings against the Council. What's causing that?

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yes, the hullabaloo on the first day over the PM's Matev sent were a combination of a few things:

1) REG misread Matev's PM and claimed it said something it did not, leading me to conclude that Matev sent out the wrong PM
    2) I think Matev overstated the "Do it or SITH!" part of the plan
    Farangu wrote: »
    Retaba wrote: »
    Also, Farangu their power comes from cour-haha I can't spell that planet's name.

I don't care where it comes from. All I see is that now there is another group of people that can kill(and, looking at the lack of deaths for a main, kill more effectively than the sith) and that we are supposed to trust them.

Once again...unease.

The Council is aware that you have a complaint. Please send it via missive or Padawan to the complaint department located at 7 Maple Ave, Coruscant. Rememer, the Jedi Council is a Force for YOU!
    politician-thumbs-up.jpg

Also, there seems to be some grumblings against the Council. What's causing that?

The initial PM received probably soured a lot of people from the get-go, and I think we should be suspect of everyone until double-proven innocent.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    He told me via PM.

Technically, I did, as JABMonkey's padawan.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    The initial PM received probably soured a lot of people from the get-go, and I think we should be suspect of everyone until double-proven innocent.

1) I'm a Jedi.
    2) Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    This is NOT Capplanet's first Phalla, he's an old timer. For what it's worth.

Listen here sonny, don't make me woop you with my cane. who you calling an old timer?!

I started with the Prinny phalla hosted by MrBlarney <3 Where is Spectrum 5 when you need them?

Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    o.0 Spectrum.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    So have we decided on a plan of action today? Keep same groups? Roll new groups? Do our own thing and report back after?

• Options
    It's speculation time again.

Taking a step back, I've already accounted for (2x on Alderaan, 2x on Tatooine, 1x on Fondor, 3x on Bothawui, 6x on Nal Hutta) 12 Sith. And I'm still missing a couple points on Nal Hutta.

So something is wrong with my assumptions on how their influence works.

Yeah, you are crediting way too much to direct Sith agents. It can't be a simple +/- role thing because it follows that we have way too large of a mafia if so.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I mentioned that they would have some capability to counter the village's larger numbers on planet control!

• Options
    This is NOT Capplanet's first Phalla, he's an old timer. For what it's worth.

Listen here sonny, don't make me woop you with my cane. who you calling an old timer?!

I started with the Prinny phalla hosted by MrBlarney <3 Where is Spectrum 5 when you need them?

spectrum-go.gif

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Looking back over the planetary scores, there are two planets that the Jedi had no (known) role in: Alderaan and Tatooine.

The Sith's scores for these planets are in-line with what we'd expect from Jedi Knights and their Padawans (the -4 on Alderaan could be two Sith Knights with Support, and the -3 on Tatooine could be two Sith Knights (one with Support, one without)).

Let's chase that fox for a bit.

We lost 2 points on Fondor. If the two Padawans on Fondor I haven't heard from (Malkor and Peccavi) Supported their Knights, then it's possible that one of the Knights is compromised (3 Knights + 3 Padawan's Support - (1 Sith Knight + 1 Padawan's Support) = 4).

Bothawui and Nal Hutta are more difficult nuts to crack. We need to make up for an 11 point deficiency on Bothawui, and an 18 point deficiency on Nal Hutta.

If two of the Knights that went to Bothawui were compromised, two of the Jedi Padawan's failed to Support (but all of the Sith's Padawans did), and the Sith Master works exactly like the Jedi Master, the math works (4 Jedi Knights + 2 Padawan's Support + (1 Master x 4 Jedi Knights) - (2 Sith Knights + 2 Padawan's Support) - (1 Sith Master x 2 Sith Knights) = 4).

I don't know where to start with Nal Hutta. Total reversal, maybe? Even if both the unaccounted for Knights were Sith with Padawan Support, that only knocks the score down to +4. Two more Sith Knights (with Support) would knock it down to 0... a Sith Master would up that to -4. Another (magically appearing) Sith Knight (with Support) would boost that to a further -7. And we're still a couple points from -9.

Taking a step back, I've already accounted for (2x on Alderaan, 2x on Tatooine, 1x on Fondor, 3x on Bothawui, 6x on Nal Hutta) 12 Sith. And I'm still missing a couple points on Nal Hutta.

Or maybe all planets not current controlled by the Jedi slip 2 points towards the Sith each night?

I don't think we're going to solve this mystery today sadly. With tomorrow's data to compare however, we should have the answers we seek.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular

Yeah, you are crediting way too much to direct Sith agents. It can't be a simple +/- role thing because it follows that we have way too large of a mafia if so.

Honestly it makes sense. Otherwise it's too easy to find sith.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    FYI - T_A is my mentor.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular

To reiterate a point I've made earlier, it's heavily implied in the padawan role PM that bad things can happen if you support a sith knight. Since sharing the meditate result is useless if a jedi-aligned knight can just share it with you, I'm assuming that supporting a meditating knight can still work to catch a sith knight not meditating.

However, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a Sith knight being supported by a Jedi padawan uses their support to gain more sith influence in whatever planet they've actually chosen to go after (since it doesn't have to be the one they told the padawan they'd attack).

No idea if sith padawans can similarly mess things up for their teachers. I'd wager they can to an extent, but judging by the mafia's decision to kill Baidol's knight partner a sith knight is still clearly more valuable than whatever a sith padawan can do.

Finally it's possible that sith knights are stronger than jedi knights if the math doesn't add up, but unfortunately nothing constructive can come from taking this assumption.

• Options
    There is also the whole one-point-of-data that we have to work with atm. Something might come out of it but likely only after a few days.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    So I guess the big question for today is: do we want to do the same strike force thing, something organized around Akimbo, or some sort of hybrid (to minimize the ridiculous amount of planning akimbo would have to do if he directed everything). We could have akimbo in all the groups to help guide their efforts or something.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Omfg I sat down to 'catch up' on the thread as I have just got back. 1 1/2 hours later I finally finish reading! O_o

Okay my thoughts (probably not worth very much) we all know that some planets are in danger of falling to the dark side. I suspect the mafia may have had a one time use big push to the dark side or they have the ability to switch all positive influence to negative influence. This wouldn't make a huge difference on a planet with only a few votes on it, but a massive change if we say organised a huge raiding party and posted it to the council where at least one sith member could have passed it on to his evil buddies.

I prefer the idea of a one time use but hey, we probably aren't going to be that lucky.

The council should take a leaf out of their own book and not trust each other blindly as that way is just leaking info to the mafia.

I may not be understanding exactly what went on in the Jedi council room, I am only speculating.

By now we have some people who we feel we can trust, either from those Knight/padawan parings who were meditating last night, or from the called vig, or from the known results form planets that worked out as planned and declared in the thread. To try and stop further huge corruption we need to play smart

Second thought - has anyone done any analysis of the bandwagon push on 38thdoe?
    I know one data point is not great, just in conjunction with the planet influence stuff it may add up to something? for someone who understands that stuff.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    More randomized grouping might help narrow down who the sith are, seeing where the overlap in players are from groups with lower-than-expected results. Not a guarantee, but good data to look at.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph