As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

167891012»

• BombchelleBombchelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    @Robogirl Similar thing happened with me :S Lost motivation which was made worse because I wasn't really seeing results. I'm glad the grocery store stopped carrying the cake slices I like otherwise things would have been worse ;) Glad you've hit your goals though :)

@degreesplatinum Glad you're ok :) Time for a washboard stomach ;)

Bombchelle on
  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    @vgc I think being stronger is a better goal anyways.

@SquirrelOnFire Congrats on challenge completion 1. You'll hit #2 no problem now that you've got a good fitness habit.

@Mogs a 210 dead. Awesome. Considering your only off by 15lbs, I don't think 225 was unrealistic.

@thorhanks thanks. I wish I could have done more. Not working out regularly really messes with my Circadian rhythm.

@degreesplatinum one arm pushups, body weight squats (alot), running, box jumps, all kind of abs.

If there are others who didn't get into the TWDT on Thurday, Gearbox is throwing a Borderlands 2 party with an open bar I plan on attending: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/24/play-borderlands-2-at-the-joystiq-2k-games-and-amazon-pax-prime/

@thorhanks: Everyone here makes me feel like a weakling. I'm using 5-10lb dumbbells. Too worried I'll hurt myself trying the barbells :S

• thorhanksthorhanks Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    @Bombchelle I began the "Starting Strength" routine about a month ago. I've been leaving out Power Cleans though, which are still a bit intimidating :(. The barbell exercises are fantastic. I was a bit worried at first, but after watching lots of videos on youtube and reading lots of descriptions I pushed myself to do them. The deadlift in particular is a lot of fun. Also I noticed an incredible increase in lower back strength.

thorhanks on
    @thorhanks Hrm, I'll have to check that out. I think the other issue for me is that it's in the "unisex" portion of the gym and it's a pretty beefy gym. Don't entirely feel comfortable using that area, especially since it's always busy. Need to find me a buddy to go with me :)

@Bombchelle I totally hear that. The gym was way intimidating for me and I'm a bearded giant. Guys half my size lifting 3 times the weight. I also hate the feeling of not knowing what the hell I'm doing. Doesn't take long to start feeling comfortable though, if you can just make it through the beginning. I still get a bit nervous sometimes... wait I mean, um, no I'm totally comfortable Bro!

I assume many of you already frequent reddit but I have found http://reddit.com/r/fitness/ to be a fantastic resource.

• degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    @Bombchelle Haha I'm trying! I'll need them to be washboard-ish anyways since I'm planning to cosplay as injured Snow Villiers (FFXIII) on Friday

Thanks to all! All the abs this week then :D

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »
    @Mogs a 210 dead. Awesome. Considering your only off by 15lbs, I don't think 225 was unrealistic.

Well, when I originally set the goal, I wasn't planning for month where I didn't deadlift due to vacations and general laziness. My eventual goal is over 350lbs, but baby steps, right?

Also, my plan for an attempt at eating healthy over the PAX weekend: We're staying at Homewood, so we have a kitchen, microwave, etc. It's also a short road trip to Seattle from Portland, so we're grilling a bunch of flank steak on Wednesday night, boiling a bunch of eggs, making omelet muffins, and cooking up sweet potatoes and broccoli to bring with us and reheat for lunches/dinners (free breakfast at the Homewood - I plan to eat all the bacon).

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Also, thinking about hitting the Sheraton gym Thursday and Monday (only days I'll have deadtime). Anyone else?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    thorhanks wrote: »
    @Bombchelle I began the "Starting Strength" routine about a month ago. I've been leaving out Power Cleans though, which are still a bit intimidating :(. The barbell exercises are fantastic. I was a bit worried at first, but after watching lots of videos on youtube and reading lots of descriptions I pushed myself to do them. The deadlift in particular is a lot of fun. Also I noticed an incredible increase in lower back strength.

check out this modified version of SS. It replaces a couple of the less standard exercises(power cleans and pendlay rows) with their more standard counterparts: http://goonlifter.wikispaces.com/sean10mm's+Modified+Starting+Strength

It is awesome.

And bombchelle, with all due respect, stop being a weinie. The first few times are awkward, but then you realize everyone is focused on their stuff too much to pay you much mind. Seriously. Get in there, barbells are awesome.

Thanks @Robogirl, great link. I actually have been doing pullups and dips to help compensate, no rows though. What has been weird is that my squat was doing great, got up to 175 then suddenly stalled hard. I then tried to deload down to like 155 and suddenly even that feels hard to do. I think it's do to not eating enough or something though. I also feel like my squat form has gotten all messed up, I need to go back to the drawing board and make sure I'm doing it right. Deadlifts and bench are doing great though.

Also I would echo your sentiment on the gym atmosphere. After a few trips it sunk in that nobody cared and they were just doing their own thing. So I stopped looking at them and caring what they were doing. Except to laugh at (in my head) the "bros" doing curls in the squat rack or anybody lifting with lots of momentum (WTF?).

• AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    thorhanks wrote: »
    Except to laugh at (in my head) the "bros" doing curls in the squat rack or anybody lifting with lots of momentum (WTF?).

My favorite are the 1/16 squatters, with there 5-45's moving the bar literally an inch. It's bro-tastic.

edited August 2012
    Favourite: People doing leg press on the bench machine. Fucking kills me.

Also @vgc you're looking toned.

I also politely ask everyone does a round of Snakebites in honour of fitness and the Canadian that can't be there to congratulate all y'all.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Bombchelle wrote: »
    @thorhanks Hrm, I'll have to check that out. I think the other issue for me is that it's in the "unisex" portion of the gym and it's a pretty beefy gym. Don't entirely feel comfortable using that area, especially since it's always busy. Need to find me a buddy to go with me :)

If you had asked me a year ago if I would go into the gym and lift weights like I do now, I would have laughed, and maybe cried a little. I still get nervous if I'm in there by myself (don't tell anyone that, though), but it's getting better (perhaps related to me being able to lift more now?). It helped me to have a trainer who does powerlifting to introduce me to all of it. If you lived closer, I would totally be your gym buddy!

In other news, I'm hoping for a bench press PR today after work. I have been diligently resting for the past day and a half (very difficult for me to do) in preparation.

Also, anyone live near the Michigan area and want to do The Warrior Dash on September 15th?

Also, down to 234, woopwoo!

So I thought I'd do something potentially silly and try doing heavy deadlifts tonight (after doing them Sunday). I PR'd once (215), twice (220), three times (225). Walking on sunshine right now.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Ugh. I was sick all day today, and yet still decided to go work out. I regretted it (threw up in the middle) but the first thing I did was try out the squirrel challenge. Managed ~130 pounds for 5 reps. It's an estimate since it was with sandbags. I'm disappointed I couldn't do more, but it is 1.25x my weight, which is not bad. I hope that I feel well enough for the TWDT tomorrow.

Well challenge is over. I'm pretty proud of my 6th place finish. Congrats to everyone and all the awesome fitness. Thanks again to @PayneTrayne for setting it up.

Now it's time for PAX!!

edited September 2012
    A reminder that we're going to be meeting at the Office Tower sign tomorrow at 1! I'll be wearing an eyepatch, black sweater and blue jeans with suspenders.

Hopefully I will not be too late to this. I'll be at the Gabe and Tycho signing early but I have no clue how long it'll take. I figure if I line up at 9 or 10 I should be okay to be out of there by 11 but you never know.

PayneTrayne on
    This is a reminder to myself that I have to make a Facebook group!

edited September 2012
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151090492591961.410496.514971960&type=3

All the Fitness group shots are towards the bottom!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/410127099050406/ And we now have a group to join!

PayneTrayne on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This thread is being closed in favor of an all inclusive group thread. Stay tuned, I've PMed the OP to work on it.

This discussion has been closed.