As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    Hrm,

I was using [Combative > Rain of Blows] because that typically kills what I am fighting with maybe a smack or two of mana builder. I also wanted to get my health back asap (I have both glyphed for health, respectively]

I can see how [Combative > Traverse > Blade Draw] would be the better go to combo on stuff that doesn't want to drop dead right away. Just makes me nervous about health. I may be being a bit of a goose about it, tho. I'll try it out tonight when grinding some quests.

While I'm at it, health regen x 3 (or 4) or 1 out of combat run speed gem? I do likes me some run speed.

I've actually been using the back crit attack gems, because even solo I'm able to get quite a few shots in. Backstab makes it seem even more of a done deal.

I always have an in combat run speed attack gem too.

You use some mana gems too right?

You want one of those weapon ones that gives you mana infuse when you crit from behind. When not tanking that alone will keep your mana up super well. When tanking you obviously wont get as many back crits, so I swap to a few of those mana/5 ones and a threat one.

I really wouldnt bother with any run speed gems, warrior is one of the most mobile classes in the game... half of our moves are mini-gap closers and our combo attack moves us around too.
    If you haven't seen it yet, this guy has some pretty good info (really need this video in the OP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZTX31fGtk

Take note though, that video was made when he was in headstart and the cap was lvl 38. Warrior's playstyle really does change every 10 levels or so. He has some really good points though about how you can be extremely mobile.

He also illustrates how a warrior can tank without moving a boss mob all over the place. I've even seen in gchat for WANG, people still thinking warrior has to move a mob all over the place. People gotta read those tooltips... multiple moves give high damage reduction, as well as death from above making you invulnerable. I've heard at endgame warrior tank is currently not good, but some changes that are in KTERA are coming to change that. Most of us are still leveling though, so warrior tanking is totally fine and I do it all the time when there is no lancer.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    llama_eggllama_egg Registered User regular
    It's a shame that I don't get the Crit buff till I think it's level 50, couple more levels and at least I get the Strength buff which is a plus. Oh well, I guess I just have to bribe a GM to "accidentally" level me a good 30 times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Badwrong wrote: »
    You use some mana gems too right?

I don't, but only because I haven't noticed an issue. I keep eyeing them, and I am ready to make the switch, but my limiting factor thus far has been killing speed, and occasionally health regen. I am running into new stuff all the time, so there always seem to be a few learning curve dings.

I have the, hrm, back crit power buff, back crits do more damage and in combat run speed.

That video is actually what sold me not only on the warrior class, but the game as a whole. I figured, if what mobility is what makes the warrior great, more is better, at least up to a point.I am really chomping at the bit for increased attack speed, though. Being able to really travel quickly while buzzsawing with combo attack is so appealing.

Just hit 31 last night. I think my best bet may be to relax and just work on leveling, since gameplay and resources are going to change so much anyway.

rpshoggoth on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I will say I get really irritated watching health and mana balls get unused while people are running around <100% hp with active debuffs. It's like yeah I can heal you through all of that, but you could help out a bit.

I think I'm going to make a macro primer on orbs so people stop looking at me cockeyed.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I don't, but only because I haven't noticed an issue. I keep eyeing them, and I am ready to make the switch, but my limiting factor thus far has been killing speed, and occasionally health regen. I am running into new stuff all the time, so there always seem to be a few learning curve dings.

I have the, hrm, back crit power buff, back crits do more damage and in combat run speed.

That video is actually what sold me not only on the warrior class, but the game as a whole. I figured, if what mobility is what makes the warrior great, more is better, at least up to a point.I am really chomping at the bit for increased attack speed, though. Being able to really travel quickly while buzzsawing with combo attack is so appealing.

Just hit 31 last night. I think my best bet may be to relax and just work on leveling, since gameplay and resources are going to change so much anyway.

That is one thing I've found constant, you change how you fight as you go. Mana never was an issue early on... but your regular combo attack starts to do less and less damage, so being able to only spam attack chains with RoB and Combative is fantastic. The crit from behind thing gives you some serious mana too, like 1/5 of my bar instantly and it can proc back to back with every hit of traverse strike that crits. Helps a lot on bosses so you don't have to use many normal attack combos at all, I do like to get a 4 hit combo off between my actual damage ones so that mangle is applied to things.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    llama_egg wrote: »
    Man, solo leveling a mystic is painful. Not only is it dreadfully boring using the same three skills (Metamorphic Blast, Metamorphic Smite and then spam Sharan Bolt till it's dead) for the last 10 levels, but even at level 22 you begin feeling the weight of being a low dps class. I definitely find the healing on a Mystic nifty (though seeing people refuse to eat my balls for health is infuriating) so I'll stick with it, but if it wasn't for guild chat I would probably want to kill myself!

Mystic leveling is suffering. It all pays off though when you're theoretically the most sought after healer because of the "crit and crack" combo. DPS will hang off your nuts like pine cones for this alone.

Good to know if I come back I'm all set, then. =P

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I will say I get really irritated watching health and mana balls get unused while people are running around <100% hp with active debuffs. It's like yeah I can heal you through all of that, but you could help out a bit.

I think I'm going to make a macro primer on orbs so people stop looking at me cockeyed.

slayers are usually the biggest offenders here because a lot of them have overhand strike bound to every other key and just kinda mash their face on their keyboard while humming big top music.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Are there any EU fellows who can help a brother out with a 7-day trial? This seeks fun, but I'm not 100% sold...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

slayers are usually the biggest offenders here because a lot of them have overhand strike bound to every other key and just kinda mash their face on their keyboard while humming big top music.

Hey Hey! What's wrong with my overhand strike? I'll have you know it's not bound to any key except my spacebar for combos. And furthermore it's more of a Face ROLL than a mash thankyouverymuch.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    I have a screenshot of myself and Montague chillin' in Castanica, looking ridiculous and awesome. I wish I weren't at work so I could post it.

Trust me though you guys. It's awesome. Monty really adds that little something special to any screenshot.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    llama_egg wrote: »
    Man, solo leveling a mystic is painful. Not only is it dreadfully boring using the same three skills (Metamorphic Blast, Metamorphic Smite and then spam Sharan Bolt till it's dead) for the last 10 levels, but even at level 22 you begin feeling the weight of being a low dps class. I definitely find the healing on a Mystic nifty (though seeing people refuse to eat my balls for health is infuriating) so I'll stick with it, but if it wasn't for guild chat I would probably want to kill myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnUWGolaZVU&amp;t=1m0s

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Yeah, one thing I found about Mystic until at least 26 (when OBT ended for me) was you had unbelievable sustainability. I would regularly just clump up grounds and kill them. One annoying thing, though, is what they did with AOEs, which you can actually see in that video a bit. The MORE mobs, the less damage you do. If you use an AOE and have like 2-3 mobs, you do X damage. If you have 5-6, you do less than X, and some abilities it is significantly less, even less than half. I particularly noticed this with the AoE that you use to restore mana: 2 mobs and you could get like half of your mana and the groups back and do okay damage. 6-7 and you'd do like 4 damage a hit and restore like 100 mana to each party member.

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Yeah, one thing I found about Mystic until at least 26 (when OBT ended for me) was you had unbelievable sustainability. I would regularly just clump up grounds and kill them. One annoying thing, though, is what they did with AOEs, which you can actually see in that video a bit. The MORE mobs, the less damage you do. If you use an AOE and have like 2-3 mobs, you do X damage. If you have 5-6, you do less than X, and some abilities it is significantly less, even less than half. I particularly noticed this with the AoE that you use to restore mana: 2 mobs and you could get like half of your mana and the groups back and do okay damage. 6-7 and you'd do like 4 damage a hit and restore like 100 mana to each party member.

I think having AOE damage be capped is fine, a lot of games do this. I think it's a real problem with the mana regen ability though, I can't imagine it's working as intended.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm not entirely sure how AoE works in this game, or if it's got a hard cap. Obviously it does less damage with more targets, but I think the cumulative damage might be higher.

My only evidence of this is with the Combative Strike -> Traverse -> Blade Draw combo. Doing it on a single mob of a pack of 2, the mob will have 1/4~ hp life left after the first hit of Blade Draw, and the second hit will kill them. If I gather both mobs together and do the same combo, it'll kill them both on non crits. I'd think if damage were capped at the single target damage, they'd both be left with just under 50% hp.

It'd be pretty easy to test with the combat logs, I'm just lazy. :x

Jibba on
  • Options
    senekuseneku Registered User regular

Hey Hey! What's wrong with my overhand strike? I'll have you know it's not bound to any key except my spacebar for combos. And furthermore it's more of a Face ROLL than a mash thankyouverymuch.

And you can glyph it so it heals you for 3% HP each hit! :D

-=Seneku=-
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

I think having AOE damage be capped is fine, a lot of games do this. I think it's a real problem with the mana regen ability though, I can't imagine it's working as intended.

I was duo leveling last night and they would gather up 6+ mobs and I would nuke them down with fireblast+glyph of sharing

what is the dps hierarchy in this game anyway? I know sorcs are #1 once they get celerity but nothing after that.

• Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Any chance any euro players could spare a buddy key?

I got one, but it was wasted as i used it on an account that had Open Beta access. You can't do that apparently.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I personally think this video should be in the OP.

http://youtu.be/oF8aNEWsm1w

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I want dps meters.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So, uh, crafting is pretty useless, huh?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I want to bring up the gold talk again. At level 47, I just bought the 80 gold bag line and then the 100 gold bag line. Then paid the 60+ gold for level 48 training.

Then proceeded to make 700 gold in the next five hours. Plus the level 50s are telling me costs go up as does earnings. So the money train will arrive, just hang on.

If you want some of that high level gold to trickle down, take those leather drops from early on and sell them. Heck, make alts and just run around killing stuff to drop leather.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Jars wrote: »

I was duo leveling last night and they would gather up 6+ mobs and I would nuke them down with fireblast+glyph of sharing

what is the dps hierarchy in this game anyway? I know sorcs are #1 once they get celerity but nothing after that.

Eh? I'm not saying AoE grinding isn't viable, just explaining why the damage tapers off as you add more targets. The exception seems to be Ring of Corruption, whose damage falls off a cliff at a certain (low) number of targets and the mana regen of the chain skill thus goes into the toilet (instead of staying relatively constant per number of targets).

Edit: Here's an interesting look at what's happening.

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/classes/topics/Mystic-Aoe-question

The solution if you actually want this to be useful as a support spell in group content is "position your AOE ability so you're only hitting 1-2 targets," which is mindblowingly stupid.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, uh, crafting is pretty useless, huh?

I don't know much about crafting, other than it seems way too expensive to do while leveling. I gather on all my alts and just put everything into the bank, figuring I'll work out how and what to craft later on.

I've heard others mention Alchemy is pretty darned useful, but I don't know other crafts at all.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Definitely alchemy. There are some buff pots and scrolls that will help for pve and pvp.

Not sure if priests and mystics can strip those buffs though. Something to look up/experiment with.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Judging from some of the recipes I've seen, crafting the quality items is pretty ridiculous. I've picked up several gold-quality recipes around level 45, and the number of components required to craft them number in the 100s. We're talking 150 titan/other runes, 120ish of the vendor bought crafting components and over 200 ingots. It's kind of insane.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Check out Gabe's news post today! :D

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Check out Gabe's news post today! :D

Wonder who he is and what server he's on...

Here are my thoughts on story in themepark MMOs...

In any game, the story is only ever as valid as it is TRUE. In the case of themepark MMOs, the story is a straight up lie.

The quest NPC says "These lizardmen keep attacking us! Please kill 10 of them!" but you can watch those lizardmen for hours and plainly see that they never do anything but mill around in that field...endlessly...

The lie gets bigger in faction-based games like WoW or SWTOR. Guess what? No matter how many of the enemy you kill, nothing changes. It's a war that stays static and unchanging until the moment the developer decides, "Okay, this city here was sacked." with absolutely no effort or influence from the players.

They can say "Game mechanics, blah, blah" until hell freezes over: if the game mechanics aren't going to allow for it, don't lie to me in the first place by acting as though my actions are meaningful, even though they clearly aren't.

And frankly, games where you "kill the big badguy" are a colossal insult to the intelligence of the player. We all know that we didn't ACTUALLY kill him, and we know that because we go back next week to do it again.

Want to know what the story in Tera is going to be? It's when WANG and BMC have to team up and ally with other guilds to take on the Goons in the elections as we struggle against them for control over the server. THAT is Tera's REAL storyline, and it's going to be more interesting and meaningful than all of the repeatable content in every other themepark MMO ever made.

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    There are some fairly cheap and useful consumables in alchemy - the 8 minute +crit / crit mag scrolls, and the 15 minute +healing received scrolls I foresee getting some use for boss fights. There are +attack speed scrolls as well, but they literally cost 4-5 times the materials as the others.

My priest does pretty well blowing up quest mobs at 37 leveraging them, combined with the +crit mag vs. enraged crystal. Hopefully I can continue to keep ahead of the mob HP curve, but it's definitely getting slower.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I have weapon smithing, focus crafting and alchemy at 200 at level 45. I could get armor crafting to 200 easy but I don;t have any alts that could use it. Crafting seems expensive early on but it's pretty cheaper in the 40's. Now I just sit at 200 till I start getting tier 5 mats. Is tier 5 the last gathering node level? Cause going 200 to 400 off one tier seems pretty...interesting.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Leveling is cheap. Trying to find rate runes to make stuff that you can actually use? Pain in the ass. Wanted to make some 30 armor but forget it, I'll just spend that time grinding gold and buy something.

Yay Royalist stuff. I'm not even sure where it drops, but its acceptably cheap at the broker so whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    There are tier 6 nodes in the 58-60 zones but instead of giving the tier 6 materials they just give tier 5 stuff.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    I want dps meters.

I do too, but more than that I want threat decreasing crystals. Because hoooooly crap can my sorc pull agro if I even think about trying.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    beginning to cast fireblast: plus ten million threat

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I think there is an error in the OP. EU-Essenia is a PVP server. At least it is in my server list.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I mourn the day DPS meters show up and everything turns it into a boring min/max game of epicly fail proportions.

Because they will. Because after the first week, no one can just have fun playing a MMO, it has to become a job. True fact.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    And people start getting kicked out of dungeon runs because they don't have the gear score or have the skills chained wrong.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    And people start getting kicked out of dungeon runs because they don't have the gear score or have the skills chained wrong.

That's when you stop doing PUGs completely and only run with guild mates who aren't complete asshats.

Steam
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like that Tera is beautiful video. The music is awesome, and I am sad that I can't queue up that artist in Pandora.

The dancing elves really need some support though. That can't possible be comfortable.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So, has anyone made the usual "this game compared to other MMO's (WoW)" comment yet? I just saw a trailer for this last night, went looking, and everything looks interesting enough for me to want to try it, but I think I need more info. I've played FFXI, WoW, Rift, and most recently SW:ToR. (And if it matters, I've gotten to level 4 as a mage on Aion. Just decided to try it out since it was free.)

I will say one thing- I absolutely detest open PvP.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Quest design and writing is Your Average WoW Style MMO. Combat and visuals are a league of their own in MMOs though, the former more than making up for the "yeah yeah, get on with it" quests.
    And there are PVE servers, no need for open PVP unless you want it.

This discussion has been closed.