As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    think I'm getting the hang of that Endless Space game. Probably the most important thing is to tweak the tax rate as soon as you start. The default is set for a mature empire with little population growth not a small expanding one.

I find it typical that, as soon as I get around to giving MoO 2 a shake, Endless Space comes out and everyone immediately goes, "it's like MoO 2, but better!"

I'm not at all sold on the better yet. The lack of tactical combat is a huge, huge downside to Endless Space. It's certainly better than Galciv 2 though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Organichu I saw your post and would like to discuss Avengers at some point in the future

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Is Planet Hulk good? (comic not cartoon)

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Man, the first Transformers cartoon had really shitty dialog.

The only reason most people have fond memories of 80s cartoons is they remember the theme songs and the ideas, rather than the actual terrible execution. GI Joe sort of holds up once you pick up on its vibe, largely because it was written by comic writers. Duck Tales and Garfield are actually genuinely good. The rest, eh.
    Do I really have to mention The Real Ghostbusters again?

JMS JMS JMS

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I sort-of watched Captain America and Hulk today as they were on the background while I was nerding out with board games.

Both movies seemed pretty good. I think I've seen all of them and I'm now ready for the Avengers.

speaking of boardgames, I'm excited for the new edition of O.G.R.E.

I will buy it and nobody will ever play it with me ever

Is that hex based and one side is a giant tank called O.G.R.E. and the other side has to take it out or something?

I remember playing a game on either my Atari 800XL or Commodore 64 called O.G.R.E. when I was a kid.

yup that's it

it was originally a board game and now it's being reprinted

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    2003 hulk was so shitty

I had completely forgotten about 2008 hulk until chu mentioned it to me today

Maybe The Hulk isn't the right superhero for you ...
    hulk20vs20spidey.jpg
    thwip!

i have that dvd

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »

The only reason most people have fond memories of 80s cartoons is they remember the theme songs and the ideas, rather than the actual terrible execution. GI Joe sort of holds up once you pick up on its vibe, largely because it was written by comic writers. Duck Tales and Garfield are actually genuinely good. The rest, eh.
    Do I really have to mention The Real Ghostbusters again?

JMS JMS JMS

I loved it at the time but I watched the episodes packaged with the Ghostbusters 2 DVD and ehhh

• Options
    that said, speaking of JMS, Captain Power was really good.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Grimlock would be devastatored to hear that.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Also zombie I totally just saw the larger picture from where your old Barlowe avatar came from. That is an amazing collection of illustrations.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

My favorite Hulk story. Totally worth it.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    think I'm getting the hang of that Endless Space game. Probably the most important thing is to tweak the tax rate as soon as you start. The default is set for a mature empire with little population growth not a small expanding one.

I haven't messed with my tax rate. I think this depends on who you are playing. The Empire gets a weird bonus off of the tax rate. The cravers seem to not care. I should of messed with it on my hissho game.

There are many different levels of this game I haven't even scratched.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

http://www.hulu.com/voltron-defender-of-the-universe

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

yes! it was very enjoyable. I read it (have not seen the animated movie), not having read any other hulk stories. it works well as a self-contained story and is really fun.

poo
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I haven't messed with my tax rate. I think this depends on who you are playing. The Empire gets a weird bonus off of the tax rate. The cravers seem to not care. I should of messed with it on my hissho game.

There are many different levels of this game I haven't even scratched.

I think with Empire it is hell of important to cut it down from 40% to 30% after you have enough cash to hire your first hero. Especially if you got poor soil as the disadvantage on your homeworld.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

I find it typical that, as soon as I get around to giving MoO 2 a shake, Endless Space comes out and everyone immediately goes, "it's like MoO 2, but better!"

I'm not at all sold on the better yet. The lack of tactical combat is a huge, huge downside to Endless Space. It's certainly better than Galciv 2 though.

Oh, interesting. I haven't heard many dissenting opinions yet. For my part, I'm always a little leery of things that try to be flashy. I dunno; maybe I feel like they're trying to hide something.

• Options
    Planet Hulk cartoon was surprisingly good even though they cut out some of the best parts of the book. But I guess they didn't have a budget that would allow for a 4hr show.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I really want to buy Sins of a Solar Empire.

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Or has something come out since then that might be better?

Halp.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I wish the new Batman movies were more like the old ones. Batman and Robin was the pinnacle of the series (Batman Returns was a close second). What's the deal with Bane being able to speak normally? He's supposed to be really big and stupid.

• Options
    I wish the new Batman movies were more like the old ones. Batman and Robin was the pinnacle of the series (Batman Returns was a close second). What's the deal with Bane being able to speak normally? He's supposed to be really big and stupid.

It's like staring into a mirror

• Options

YOU KNOW NOT OF WHAT YOU SPEAK!

• Options
    Sheep wrote: »

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Halp.

If what you want is a 4x game, then Sins of a Solar Empire is not a good choice. It's more of a weird hybrid between a very lightweight 4x and a very lightweight RTS. I find it very shallow and unsatisfying.

If you want a shiny new 4x game there is the alpha of Endless Space (which is more stable than most games are at release) or the classic Master of Orion 2 from Good Old Games. There is also Star Ruler which is pretty sparse on the UI but damn interesting. However, the mod that makes Star Ruler awesome (Galactic Armory) has not yet been updated to the current version.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    is anyone else getting weird notifications about mods posting in this thread? I've gotten two already and I'm not the OP nor have i bookmarked the thread

• Options
    "ICE to meet you" :-P

It kills me every time.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just spent the last 45 minutes watching Whose Line Is It Anyway? clips on Youtube.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    what was the whole problem with the bat nipples anyway

if they weren't there, where were batman's nipples supposed to go if they got hard

and let's be honest

he was fighting mr. freeze

Elendil on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Halp.

Either Sins or Sword of the Stars (I honestly get them mixed up) is more a grand-scale RTS with 4x elements than a traditional turn-based one.

People are currently happy with Endless Space. And, as I said, Master of Orion 2 is something like $6 on GOG, and (speaking as someone who installed it two days ago) is really good.

• Options
    I just want to know if Bane is going to break Bruce Wayne in TDKR or not

that's kind of important

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    what killed the dinosaurs

THE ICE AGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Now THIS is a 90s cartoon. Malibu comics - will their star ever stop rising?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fSj4b_vhss

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Halp.

Either Sins or Sword of the Stars (I honestly get them mixed up) is more a grand-scale RTS with 4x elements than a traditional turn-based one.

People are currently happy with Endless Space. And, as I said, Master of Orion 2 is something like $6 on GOG, and (speaking as someone who installed it two days ago) is really good.

I really liked what I played of Space Rangers.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I liked the dark knight.

But honestly Batman's mask looked so fucking stupid.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    what was the whole problem with the bat nipples anyway

if they weren't there, where were batman's nipples supposed to go if they got hard

and let's be honest

he was fighting alongside Robin

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    for someone who is a doctor, you'd think he'd know that the ice age occurred well after the mesozoic extinction

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Halp.

Sins is getting a new expansion that might breathe new life into the game but Endless Space appears to be the new 4x hotness. It's really damn pretty.

• Options
    Rent wrote: »
    is anyone else getting weird notifications about mods posting in this thread? I've gotten two already and I'm not the OP nor have i bookmarked the thread

that's what happens when someone reports a post you made and then mods are commenting on it in their secret mod forum

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    for someone who is a doctor, you'd think he'd know that the ice age occurred well after the mesozoic extinction

Mr Freeze is actually a young earth creationist.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows that the peak of Batman was Adam West in that 1966 blockbuster, Batman

Shark-repellent Bat-spray! "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Truly every other Batman venture has been like pig plops compared to that masterpiece

• Options

A space 4X kind of game.

It's really good, right?

Halp.

You are thinking of Sins of a Solar Empire. Sword of the Stars is the more traditional 4x game whose main feature is the tactical combat (3d real time). It's downside is everything non-combat related (building up your empire, diplomacy, spying etc...) is either really thin or non-existant.

A sequel to Sword of the Stars came out recently and is probably one of the biggest disasters for a retail launch of a game ever. They've been lying their asses off and patching like mad since and it still is not even up to the standard of a beta.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Also zombie I totally just saw the larger picture from where your old Barlowe avatar came from. That is an amazing collection of illustrations.

I have his book, Barlowe's Inferno. I love his work.

JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.