Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Man, finishing a social studies paper is like having taken the biggest dump in the universe. Bliss.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've decided to write down all the "successful" recipes I've found/tweaked lately. Learning more about cooking is pretty exciting! I've also been making a conscious effort to eat spicier things, because I've realized my tolerance is pretty low, and is making some potentially-delicious foods inaccessible to me and my sensitive palate. Also I fear that my face will explode once I'm able to travel, and the spices I encounter are above what I can handle.

Most successful dish so far has been a chicken + sweet potato yellow curry. SO. GOOD. I could seriously eat that many more times and not get tired of it. I thought I didn't like curry until this past year - but I'm learning to really, really enjoy it.

I'm also going to make a tried-and-true banana bread in a few days! (Once the bananas get ripe enough). EXCITING TIMES.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Theres an artist whose blog Im trying to find/remember.

She draws rather large/rubenesque barbarian women that ride giant cats. Kind of a humorous conan-ish thing with lots of gore and fighting. Kind of rides the line between cute and grotesque. Really good draftsmanship.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Rebecca Dart / Battle Kittens? (Horrible NSFW link, sorry; her blog-blog didn't have any indicative arts floating near the top)

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yeah! Thats the one. Thanks Squid!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Look guys.

Does any one of you have one of these:
    VIN-A464M.jpg

Because I need it. I need it so bad. look at this shit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rWHoFY8CPE&feature=player_detailpage#t=110s
    Why the hell is it 40 dollars guys. I NEED It.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man i've got all these engineering drafting tools and i never use them for drawing out cityscapes or anything, what the hell? I'm a idiot.
    don't have a curve whatsit like that though
    that looks frickin' awesome.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I know I've got a bunch of french curves and other curve drawin' tools lying about somewhere. I don't think I've ever used one in an actual drawing.

I feel like I'm missing out on some kind of hot drawing excitement or something.

Completely changing topics: every time I see Colin Quinn doing anything, I can't help the feeling that he's not actually a comedian, but an experiment by some producer somewhere convinced that if they keep putting this random dude who worked at their local Jiffy Lube in front of a camera and just call him a comedian, eventually people will believe that's what he is. His secret origin makes him the Red Skull of comedy.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    the cult of "blue collar" is a strong one in stand-up and similar types of comedy

Tam on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I once bought a compass with a blade at the end. I wanted to cut circles, but it turned out to be the most useless tool in my drawer.

• Options
    I once bought a compass with a blade at the end. I wanted to cut circles, but it turned out to be the most useless tool in my drawer.

Well I for one am glad you didn't use it that much, because that seems like the sort of thing that is designed more to be a serial killer gimmick than anything else.

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If any of you guys are going to be in Los Angeles over the weekend, you should consider going to Comikaze--a nerd convention. Second year running. I'll have a table for my comic (booth 419!). I'm excited. It's the first time I'm going to a con for a comic of my own.

(Also, I just cracked TODAY and bought some French curves after years of saying I don't need them today. Why did I just NOW see this Arccurve ruler deal. That is so badass.)

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    bluuuhh I'm pretty glad I took some advice early on and didn't buy ellipse templates. French curves, flexible rulers, adjustable triangles- all in my drawing bin, never get used. Fellow designers respect you a lot more if you freehand everything even if it looks worse, and client- or management/marketing-types are much more easily convinced of the value of your position if you aren't "just tracing things like my daughter."

actual quote.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    bluuuhh I'm pretty glad I took some advice early on and didn't buy ellipse templates. French curves, flexible rulers, adjustable triangles- all in my drawing bin, never get used. Fellow designers respect you a lot more if you freehand everything even if it looks worse, and client- or management/marketing-types are much more easily convinced of the value of your position if you aren't "just tracing things like my daughter."

actual quote.

Gotta be honest, if I found out a designer had been tracing my daughter I probably wouldn't hire them either.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Just watched "Legend", or rather made fun of it half the time and started talking about unrelated things the rest of the time because what the hell was going on.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Just your standard allegorical tale about the death of innocence hamfistedly portrayed as a high fantasy romp through a fairy tale land.

• Options
    I rented Legend once.
    I got about a minute in before shutting it off. Something about the super obvious soundstaginess turned me off immediately for some reason.

• Options

Well I for one am glad you didn't use it that much, because that seems like the sort of thing that is designed more to be a serial killer gimmick than anything else.

My desk has more knives (xacto) than an office desk should.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I rented Legend once.
    I got about a minute in before shutting it off. Something about the super obvious soundstaginess turned me off immediately for some reason.

It was a bloody giant sound stage, though. Think about how much foliage that had to put in that freaking place.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Went to the Small Press Expo today, amaaazing stuff so far.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I just watched Prometheus for the first time. It was alright.

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Just got done recording my video answers for Strip Search. It's always strange to see myself in videos... I don't think I'll ever get used to the way I look & sound. It's like watching a stranger. :shock:

• Options
    Grifter wrote: »
    I just watched Prometheus for the first time. It was alright.
    No it wasn't.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Prometheus was alright, if somewhat disappointing.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Prometheus needed to focus more on the crew and their reactions to things. Serious shit goes down and the next scene everyone is all "meh." This isn't how horror works unless you theme is how little shit people give about each other.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    The problem was it was like six different movies all trying to compete for the same space on the screen. You had space snakes, space diseases, alien creators of the human race, space zombies, conspiracy plots, and then all at the end an actual giger's alien popping out of a torso was supposed to tie it all together. Well it didn't. Nothing tied anything together, and the only way the movie would have made more sense is if they had hired an entirely new case for each scene.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I've been playing a little bit of Black Mesa today.

I'm finding it kinda weird that in between when I first played Half-Life and now it's gone from being a near-future setting, to an alternate history period piece setting- what with scientists using CRT monitors running Win95, having VCRs and VHS tapes strewn about, etc. Also in the opening sequence it reminds you that Gordon Freeman is 27...when I first played this game that was like, old. Like by age 27 you're officially an official adult and by then you've got all your shit sorted out.

I'm 28 now, twice the age I was back then...now Gordon Freeman's an upstart whippersnapper at age 27! Think you're so smart, college boy, with your fancy pants MIT PhD whyioughta grumble grumble.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    I might take a lesson from grif and pack up and leave with my family early next year.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The same Grifter who was considering prostitution on the last page?

• Options
    DMAC wrote: »
    The same Grifter who was considering prostitution on the last page?

Is this the same grifter that at one time had a yacht and a million dollar apartment?

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Prometheus was visually stunning but devoid of any actual substance. When the giant spaceship structure was tipping over and all the people could do was run in a straight line away from it, I wanted to scream. Take two steps to the left!!

• Options
    Prometheus was visually stunning but devoid of any actual substance. When the giant spaceship structure was tipping over and all the people could do was run in a straight line away from it, I wanted to scream. Take two steps to the left!!

That was the most retarded part of the movie. I mean, it was so retarded that it beat out the guy calling the space snake to him like a puppy.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    haha yeah i forgot about that part
    this lengthy but funny criticism sums up my feelings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

wut was that black goo

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    wut was that black goo

more unresolved plot

Plot wasn't a vehicle to explore the ideas so much as a bunch of cars for their monster truck of a movie to drive over.

• Options
    I might take a lesson from grif and pack up and leave with my family early next year.

If you're seriously thinking about that then make sure exactly what you're getting yourself into. I knew that I was going to be able to move here without very much issue since I have Canadian citizenship. However, I didn't realise how difficult it is to get my wife legally into the country. She doesn't just get to walk into the country because I married her. There are many forums and other paper work that needs to be assemb
    We sold all of our furniture so didn't have to ship that. However, my wife decided to leave behind many things that I would've kept. She thought it would've been cheaper to just buy new things here. Like, she decided it wasn't worth packing a rolling pin because she was worried about the cost of the shipping for all of our stuff. The logic escapes me but maybe I'm the crazy one. I don't know. Basically, try not to leave somebody else to make all of the decisions on what to bring with you. Chances are they'll take a bunch of stuff that you actually care about to the Salvation Army.

Research the average cost of living compared to the kind of job that you're trying to get. Also, will your wife be able to work or want to work? Some places families can survive on one pay check without an issue. Other places, you'll both need to work in order to get through the month to month bills and heaven forbid that an unexpected expense arise like your baby getting sick and your insurance not covering it. One or two of those in a month can make your household budget disappear very quickly.

At the end of the day here, I'm quite happy with my apartment downtown and my job. I wish I was making a bit more money but that will come with some time. I basically took the job that I could get right now because I was getting a bit desperate after two and a half months looking in Bermuda. Granted, I had a job within a week of setting a foot in this city. I probably could've taken another week to look around but this job is working out for now. My only real regret with the move is not forcing my wife to send in the immigration forms before I left Bermuda. I've been here for six months and they're still not sent. It takes at least six months to get them processed. That means that we could be looking forward to her having permanent residence within a couple of months from now if the papers had been sent in February. Now my wife has been here for a few months and hasn't been working and I've been paying for everything here on a salary that isn't what I was making in Bermuda. It's causing me a lot of undue stress and that's where my comments about money come from. We're not doing horribly but we were doing really well when I had my last job in Bermuda.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is be more organized than I was when I picked up and left and don't let your wife make too many decisions on her own or your might find yourself without some keepsakes that you loved and family that can't legally stay in the same country as you.

• Options
    Details!

I've lost the chance for a couple of jobs in Japan because I'm not living there. We're talking about selling all our stuff and picking up and moving to Japan. My wife and daughter are both legal residents there, we also started to apply for my Visa would take 3 months to process, which should be just in time for our move.

I'd sell all my stuff, except for a couple of things. I'm not sure what I'll do about my design books, I don't want to give them away, but they are too many and too heavy.

Both, me and my wife would work. But until we find a job, we'd have a $10,000 buffer to keep our heads above water.

I told my family, but they've been waiting for this news for a while so it didn't take them by surprise.

Grif, how much money did you have as an emergency fund?

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I have been toying with the idea of a huge tattoo for a while. Still need longer to ponder before making this kind of decision, but I like conceptualizing:
    tattkngwip.jpg

Kind of feel like polling the gals I know to see how they feel about tattoos though. I don't want to inadvertantly make myself completely undesirable to a large section of the market.

If I went through with it, I'd try to commission Scott C and another Double Fine artist who are both heroes of mine, to add a Manny Calavera and Vault Boy to my back.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    The tattoo thing can swing one way or another, but you'd probably lose a lot of people by sharpening your forearm into a hairy spike like that.

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I already did the forearm thing :C
    Regrets.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    Details!

I've lost the chance for a couple of jobs in Japan because I'm not living there. We're talking about selling all our stuff and picking up and moving to Japan. My wife and daughter are both legal residents there, we also started to apply for my Visa would take 3 months to process, which should be just in time for our move.

I'd sell all my stuff, except for a couple of things. I'm not sure what I'll do about my design books, I don't want to give them away, but they are too many and too heavy.

Both, me and my wife would work. But until we find a job, we'd have a $10,000 buffer to keep our heads above water.

I told my family, but they've been waiting for this news for a while so it didn't take them by surprise.

Grif, how much money did you have as an emergency fund?

When I lost my job I was able to cash in my stock options so I got about $17,000 for that. We sold all of our stuff, but that didn't give us a drastic amount of money. I had to put down extra money as a deposit on our apartment because I had no credit history in Canada. They wanted to do a credit check but I explained my situation and they said I could give them an extra month's rent as a deposit. I decided to bring my whole comic book collection and all of my art and design books. I probably should've just left the art and design books but since I was bringing my comic for sure I figured I should just bring my art books too. Anyway, that really brought the cost of shipping up. I think we paid around $7500 for shipping and, as I said, my wife left behind some pretty silly stuff that I don't think would've added to the weight all that much. Then we had to buy all of our furniture here. We got everything from Ikea but it still cost a bit of money. We had to sell a few items for drastically reduced prices. Like I had just bought a mattress for $4000 in Bermuda and we wound up selling it only a few months later for $1200. Anyway, between everything that happened we wound up spending the entire fund and now we're getting by on my paycheck.

My wife's pension check has come through now, though. So that's good news. We're finally putting the immigration package in this week and that money will be able to pay for that plus pay for my wife's debt in the States for the next 8 months or so.

Definitely make sure that you have all of your immigration sorted out before you move. That was my biggest mistake. If my wife could have a job right now we'd be doing great and having a ball here. The immigration bit has added so much stress to my life for no good reason other than me leaving it to my wife to handle and my wife being very disorganized about doing it.

This discussion has been closed.