As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Stickers are like clothing for hats!

9jDAz.jpg

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Looks like my cousin is moving from Toronto to Japan to teach English. Pretty excited for him but will definitely miss having him in the city.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm holding a crappy laser printed b&w, paper cutter trimmed, and stapled together version of my wife's first collection of strips to proof and I'm really, really proud of her. It looks pretty damn good.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    What rapper, what rapper??

I bet it wasn't King Mag.

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Naw. I'll PM you so there is no public record of me denigrating this fellow, because that would cause me some awkwardness.

Edit: And mynt, that is pure erotica right there!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Silly rapper.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I posted this in the cooking thread, but I thought @nightdragon might appreciate this since shes on some cooking endeavors too:
    Iruka wrote: »
    So, I work at a deli.

We had to buy some back up prosciutto that was a little gummy compared to the stuff we normally stock. I got it down to an unslice-able haunch and asked the owner if I could take the rest home. Last night I soaked a bag of dried black beans, and so now I'm an hour and a half into the process of making Black Beans and Prosciutto.

I didn't really know how the Prosciutto would hold up in the cooking process, because while I think prosciutto and ham hock both come from the leg (am I wrong here?), I thought that it may do something totally different. So far so good, the beans aren't quite tender yet but the ham and the flavor is good.

Though I don't think I rinsed the beans enough because the meat all looks like that black bean purple.

I need to find other reasons to take the ends of meats home. Prosciutto is kinda expensive so I'm not sure why anyone else would do this, but i thought id share!

I'm serving it over sticky rice (thats all we have...) and with some grilled tenderloin chops, possibly with a side of guac. It makes a big pot, which is great because I need to feed three (BF and our roommate)

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    So I am trying to figure out this tumblr thing. Is there a way to keep it from stretching out smaller images to fit what seems to be a preset width?

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    lyrium wrote: »
    So I am trying to figure out this tumblr thing. Is there a way to keep it from stretching out smaller images to fit what seems to be a preset width?

The quick and lazy way is to make a photo post instead of a text post with the image inlined. Photo posts will automatically resize the image to fit in the box and link to the larger version (I think).

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Silly rapper.

Kicks are for kids!

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Fugitive wrote: »
    lyrium wrote: »

The quick and lazy way is to make a photo post instead of a text post with the image inlined. Photo posts will automatically resize the image to fit in the box and link to the larger version (I think).

I was using the photo post thing, and I'm trying to keep it from resizing them (because it is making a smaller image bigger and it looks bad). Maybe what I should be doing is putting it in a text post?

Edit: Cool, that works and now I feel dumb :P

lyrium on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Cool beans, Iruka! Pun intended, I guess!

Hope it turned out delicious. Tonight I had some leftover chicken + sweet potato curry w/rice that I made last night, and for desert a slice of banana bread I made Monday :)

Not sure what my next thing will be (I've redone a few recipes because they were just hella tasty), but maybe I'll try for something new. I have chicken stock I need to use though, so if I need an easy Plan B I can always just do matzoh ball soup, which I love (and is extra-excellent for fall).

OR HOLY CRAP TORTELLINI SOUP I just thought of this

yes, this is happening

• Options
    Hmmm... All this cooking talk makes me want to make some dinner myself. My wife doesn't let me in the kitchen though. Something about me making a mess and not cleaning it up.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Artist crush of the day: J. C. Leyendecker

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Yes, he is hella great

• Options
    What the.

I can never watch a documentary about the making of the show Seinfeld now, because last night I had a dream that was a completely fictional retelling of the origin of Seinfeld, that I am almost certain is far more bizarre and entertaining than the reality.

Did you know the first version of Seinfeld's pilot had him squatting in an abandoned Las Vegas apartment complex with a fat, brutish roommate and a dog dying of a flesh-eating disease? I didn't! And neither did anyone else- but my brain did, somehow.

I think the changes they made later on were probably a good choice, looking back on it.

• Options
    Oh weird! That would explain the callback in the finale, where the entire episode was a dog dying a horrible death while 3 seconds of the laugh track was put on loop.

• Options
    Now I'm never going to be able to watch that show without looking for secret hints of it being really weird and subversive underneath the facade of yuk-yuks.

(I think this is how conspiracy theorist nutjobs start out.)

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Oh weird! That would explain the callback in the finale, where the entire episode was a dog dying a horrible death while 3 seconds of the laugh track was put on loop.

I'd bet the farm (on the proviso that I had a farm) that someone in a film school, somewhere, would have made this film.

EDIT: I don't have a farm.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Why am I constantly asked to design things in Power Point and Word?

• Options
    Looks like my brother-in-law's brother's body has arrived back in Bermuda.

http://bernews.com/2012/09/major-chris-wheddons-body-returns-home/

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I finished my wife's book layout in indesign and exported it to a .pdf

I need to send it off today to the printers because the deadline is tight as it is, and honestly it needs to be perfect from the get go.

I don't suppose any of you have a few minutes to proof it for me and just make sure it looks good? I can send the pdf or the indesign file.

I've already looked it over, had a friend look it over, printed the pdf and hand trimmed it to size and stapled it just to get a feel for the layout, etc. I'm just being really paranoid.

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    The reactions to this are fucking sickening. Makes me want to just turn away from art.... because fuck people.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The reddit post about that is just as bad, or worse.

Common sentiments include "big deal all art is about stealing and inspiration", "I would be flattered if someone copied my idea!", and "guys this is just a clever easter egg reference by Gearbox, the game is full of references!"

When talking about the obviously directly copied design of the zig-zaggy background element someone with a number of upvotes had written "It's probably just the same photoshop brush".

Reddit has done more to fuel my disdain for laypeople's opinions about anything related to the visual arts than probably anything anywhere.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    I've learned that not only are comments posted almost anywhere (especially sites like reddit, youtube, kotaku...) usually highly depressing to read, but suggest that the poster(s) of said comments are completely and utterly out of touch.

I don't think people understand how to value creativity if they've never had to produce creative works before. Not surprised. Still sad. Still enraging.

• Options
    Well reddit is basically a cesspit so that's not at all surprising.

Really, I'm surprised that the ratio of "dudes who get it" vs "stupid shitheads who missed the point entirely" is as close as it is in that Kotaku comments section. Like, a good 1/4 to 1/3 of the posts actually seem to understand the difference between homage and theft.

It's also pretty funny how an artist can raise the meekest of objections to someone aping their style and copy-pasting directly from their work, and immediately be jumped on for being "butt-hurt" and "entitled". And by funny I mean I will never be sober again.

• Options
    How are you doing these days Jennifer?

• Options
    rts wrote: »
    The reactions to this are fucking sickening. Makes me want to just turn away from art.... because fuck people.

Looks like a lot of the original replies were from idiots who didn't know any better. Once Moss pointed out the cloud scape and the company came out in support of Moss, most people seemed to be on Moss' side. I mean, it wasn't like Olly was calling for a lynching. He just expressed a bit of disappointment.

• Options
    How are you doing these days Jennifer?

Oh hello. I'm a little melancholy lately, but I'm cooking and doing contract work and taking forever to finish some personal art. Not so bad, I guess.

How are you and the dawg?

• Options
    It's a serious issue which is being overlooked more and more. This kind of reaction from the greater community will certainly make more artists hesitate to come forward with these types of issues in the future. On the one hand I don't think Olly is taking the issue seriously enough, but on the other I don't feel like one guy should be strung up over this. He probably just threw that in there while composing the image and forgot to replace it with a more original element later on.

• Options
    To be honest when I first saw that story I thought the guy had his panties in a wad because someone kind of used his style, which isn't just his style, to do some artwork. I wasn't "shut your crying" about it or anything, I just didn't really care.

Once I saw the comparison pics though where the artist blatantly copied his background image though my opinion did change. I don't think the guy who designed the game art should be fired, but knowing the game industry he probably will be.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    @NightDragon Sounds good, putting together a new portfolio or just personal work unrelated to work work?

Franklin and I doing good. Been taking some graphic design work but that's about it.

rts on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    @NightDragon Sounds good, putting together a new portfolio or just personal work unrelated to work work?

Franklin and I doing good. Been taking some graphic design work but that's about it.

Little bit of both, I guess. I've started a blog that I said I'd start posting on like a month ago (guess what never happened!!) but I'm doing some "personal work" with studies...not too many just yet (did 1 pages of notes/compositional studies, actually...every time I think about a poor composition I'm working on, I remember your critique from long ago telling me I need to work on composition...SO! Looks like I'm actually doing it, finally!.......and then yes, some other work to help build a new portfolio, because my current one is like...3-5 years old, and that's sad. :C

Graphic design though! That's cool. I like me some graphic design.

[edit] and for the record, I do intend on posting work on that blog eventually...I think once I finish this piece, and once I scan the studies, I'll put them there.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    @rts , when are we going to meet up?

• Options
    Man, Olly's situation makes me so mad! Also, people's comments are just plain ignorant.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I read that stuff about Olly, and while its pretty infuriating, I think Olly was too soft on the subject, he shouldnt be apologicing or saying he shouldnt have brought this up. The guy has to step up and be firm about this kind of situations, and we have to support him.

And about the comments... thats the world we live in, I see it here with musicians, starting bands have to pay for the transport of their instruments and sound engineer, etc. to be able to play FOR FREE at a venue, and the owners of such venues act as if they were making the artists (musicians) a favor.

Inside this forum is hard to see, because all the people I see posting regularly clearly have great respect for what creative work is, and that creative work goes beyond a fun hobby, and should be rewarded monetarily. But outside this beautiful haven, theres a large chunk of the society (worldwide) that still doesnt realice that its work, that requires years of hard study and hard work, even for the "talented ones".

So yeah, lets quit raging about this stuff and lets take over the world ASAP.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    WORD

• Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I read that stuff about Olly, and while its pretty infuriating, I think Olly was too soft on the subject, he shouldnt be apologicing or saying he shouldnt have brought this up. The guy has to step up and be firm about this kind of situations, and we have to support him.

It's really up to Moss just how much hell he wants to raise about it, and really, choosing your battles is sometimes the smart play. I'm not going to say any kind of theft in the art world is trivial, but Moss likely has to worry about much worse infringement out there than cloud theft. Plus, his concern seems like it was more "If you guys wanted some Moss-flavored art in your manual, you didn't need to do an homage. I totally would have done a thing if you asked me."

As for attitudes about art amongst the general populous, it's something artist's will pretty much always have to deal with, but I think the best antidote is to not tolerate it in a professional context. Demanding what you're worth, not letting people take advantage of you, demanding every contract be clearly laid out in writing, protecting your brand, etc. I feel like artists shoulder a good amount of the responsibility for fostering that low esteem by underselling themselves and allowing brazen theft of their work. Like, Kris Straub used to not even put his name on his comics, and wouldn't raise objections when other people would take credit for them.

When random assholes devalue art? Whatever, it sucks but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. When actual artists share the sentiment? That shit makes my blood boil.

• Options
    @rts , when are we going to meet up?

Hey man! You tell me! You are the busy working artist. I am the miserable failure with nothing going on.

• Options
    Oh, people can agree with my posts now?

This discussion has been closed.