As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Mustang wrote: »
    Mustang wrote: »
    Melting Doll - new books

...Hmmm

Well, I think new book smell is hot at least.

Watching you two is like watching a sitcom where you know the male and female protagonists will eventually hook up at some stage, but the writers keep on dragging it out in order to keep the ratings up.

Hey now, it's only a come-on if you happen to be correct.

My guess is that she smells like crayons, which is a significantly less sexy scent. (Sorry MD.)

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Should I just learn zbrush to help my chances of landing a job, or is 3ds max / Maya just as important?

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    You could take a stab at imagining what I smell like, I guess.)
    MagicToaster - Tea and guacamole

I have such an interesting smell!

To me, Mustang must smell like red Fruit Loops.

squidbunny
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »
    Should I just learn zbrush to help my chances of landing a job, or is 3ds max / Maya just as important?
    Zbrush is probably more important to a concept artist, but 3ds/maya could be useful as well.

You also don't have to enter the industry as a concept artist - I've known a couple environment and character artists who were working to get to concept art from inside the industry. Then 3ds/maya would of course be requisite to get those initial positions. Not that those positions are necessarily easier, but the competition probably isn't as high.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    In my experience, it's seemed like knowing your way around 3ds/Maya is nice, and Zbrush is considered a "plus". Honestly you could spend a few weeks in Maya, and a few weeks in ZBrush, and already have learned quite a handful about both programs. I wouldn't focus on learning 3ds AND Maya to start, though. I'd pick one of those, and then maybe noodle around in ZBrush.

It would also benefit you a lot to even read up on "good practices" in both programs.......like "don't rush into new subdivision levels in ZBrush". Or why "n-gons" can cause much sadness. Or how ZBrush hates triangles. Or where you'd need extra edgeloops in areas that might bend in an animation...etc etc.

I think a general knowledge of the production pipeline is pretty useful, and having had experience in a 3D program will help you understand how to concept things that "make sense" to model. Additionally, what angles to show your concepts from if the volume/shape of something isn't necessarily clear.

If you're trying to just get "a job" in the industry - not strictly concept art - then I'd absolutely imagine that learning a 3D program would be more important to know than ZBrush, IMO.

In my experience, it's seemed like knowing your way around 3ds/Maya is nice, and Zbrush is considered a "plus". Honestly you could spend a few weeks in Maya, and a few weeks in ZBrush, and already have learned quite a handful about both programs. I wouldn't focus on learning 3ds AND Maya to start, though. I'd pick one of those, and then maybe noodle around in ZBrush.

It would also benefit you a lot to even read up on "good practices" in both programs.......like "don't rush into new subdivision levels in ZBrush". Or why "n-gons" can cause much sadness. Or how ZBrush hates triangles. Or where you'd need extra edgeloops in areas that might bend in an animation...etc etc.

I think a general knowledge of the production pipeline is pretty useful, and having had experience in a 3D program will help you understand how to concept things that "make sense" to model. Additionally, what angles to show your concepts from if the volume/shape of something isn't necessarily clear.

If you're trying to just get "a job" in the industry - not strictly concept art - then I'd absolutely imagine that learning a 3D program would be more important to know than ZBrush, IMO.

I'm more thinking about the future of concept art. Zbrush and some other 3d knowledge is becoming a huge plus, and it might eventually become a necessity. Of course, good knowledge of art is even more important, but with such strong competition in the concept art field its going to be a detriment when you are the one resume that can't list zbrush fluency.

And I say that as someone who only barely knows zbrush and knows hes going to have buckle down and really learn it at some point :|

edited September 2012
    Honestly the "future of" any job in this industry (or even film) scares the crap out of me haha :P...it seems like the number of technical skills one needs is slowly becoming a longer and longer list.....and the complexity of those skills is increasing, too. The more technology advances, the more people have to learn that new tech.

Actually, I think that about everything "techy", really. If you consider the difference in "complexity of knowledge" required to operate/understand the most advanced piece of technology that existed vs. something like building a table...500 years ago, that difference probably wasn't huge. But consider the average person nowadays, and like.......the CERN engineers. It's like they're light-years away from the average person, because the complexity of the technology is so great, it requires so many layers of understanding of different concepts, it's ridiculous.

Blows my freakin' mind every time I watch a "making of" concerning modern-day special effects in film, or game-tech. It feels like I'm so far away from being able to learn that stuff - the amount of knowledge required seems staggering to me.

NightDragon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    Im trying to figure out 'winter rain'

it's hard to describe, but the best smell on that list

edited September 2012
    I'm considering calling animal control about that dog across my street... the dog is left outside on a short tether in the driveway, for over 10 hours a day. On Friday, it was out for at least 12 hours - I have no idea when (if?) it was taken inside. I saw somebody drive up into the driveway (the dog got really excited and started jumping around), and the person got out, ignored the dog, and went inside. I've seen the dog left outside in scorching heat, and in the pouring rain. It has no toys that I can see, no food or water that I can see, and it has no shelter. It sits under a bush to the side of the driveway. It watches everybody in every car go by. It's so sad :C

I just read up on the laws regarding dogs, and I can tell the "owner(s)" are definitely in violation of at least two of them.

I fucking hate people sometimes.

NightDragon on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Yeah, that's not cool. If you're going to leave your dog outside you need to provide adequate protection from the elements like the sun, heat and rain. You're also supposed to leave water out for it and preferably some kind of toys so that the poor dog isn't completely bored out there.

There's a guy in my office building that brings his yorkie to work with him everyday. It's pretty funny seeing him with this tiny dog following him around everywhere since he doesn't really look like the kind of guy that would have a yorkie.

When my wife leaves town I have to go home during my lunch hour to make sure that my dog goes for a walk and gets some attention. It's not fair for me to leave him alone from 7:45AM to 6:00PM everyday with no way for him to go to the bathroom. I did it once just because I was swamped with work and the poor guy peed and pooped as soon as we got to the street. Normally, he waits until we get to the grass at the park.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If that dude brings his dog in, cant you, grifter?

ND, Totally report it, theres no reason not to. If they seem like a rowdy/violent bunch just be sure to ask the the report be kept confidential/anonymous.

The owners may just move the dog to the back or something, so if possible keep an eye out for shoddy fixes.

squidbunny
    I can't really keep an eye on anything - I have no way of seeing their backyard. I don't even feel comfortable walking up their driveway to see if the dog DOES have a water bowl hidden somewhere, as I'm pretty sure I'd be trespassing. Based on the laws I've read, it looks like the officers do follow-ups to see if the issues were taken care of. If not, the owner gets fined and/or the dog is taken away.

I think the best I can hope for is calling them and hoping they take care of it...and reporting it again if I see it happening again afterwards.

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    You could take a stab at imagining what I smell like, I guess.)

Mynt - Mint

That's everyone on the page.

You took the easy way out... But I guess it could have been worse :)
    rts wrote: »
    Alright. It sounds like we should plan a Southern California AC meetup in November.

We should all bring sketchbooks.

Keep us updated on when you will be around MD.

Is there any Nor Cal people in here? I have met ZERO AC people. Would love to rectify that. :/

Iruka wrote: »
    If that dude brings his dog in, cant you, grifter?

I would bring him into the office but I think he'd be more distracting than anything else. There's a big difference between bringing in a tiny yorkie that appears to be rather well behaved and bringing in my 80 lb. labrador retriever. I mean, I love my dog but he's still a very excitable dog at two years old. He'd probably just get in everyone's way. Plus, getting him to the office on the street car in the morning and home in the evening would be a major pain too. My street car gets very crowded since it's a pretty well travelled line. Getting off at my stop on the way home can be difficult with all of the people in my way and getting on the streetcar in the morning is the same story. It's a major reason why I started riding my bicycle instead. I could probably get one of those dog trailer things but they're kinda expensive for something that I probably wouldn't use all that often.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Watching you two is like watching a sitcom where you know the male and female protagonists will eventually hook up at some stage, but the writers keep on dragging it out in order to keep the ratings up.
    It won't be until we're old when the viewers have given up hope. But then it'll be that really sweet, "why did I wait so long/oh we must enjoy the short time we have left" kinda thing.

My guess is that she smells like crayons, which is a significantly less sexy scent. (Sorry MD.)
    Pfffft! Only when I'm using them! Otherwise it's pears(deodorant) and coconut(hair stuff). I don't know if that's a good combo, but no one has complained.

rts wrote: »
    Alright. It sounds like we should plan a Southern California AC meetup in November.

We should all bring sketchbooks.

Keep us updated on when you will be around MD.
    I totally will!! Excitement (:

melting_doll on
    I'm considering calling animal control about that dog across my street... the dog is left outside on a short tether in the driveway, for over 10 hours a day. On Friday, it was out for at least 12 hours - I have no idea when (if?) it was taken inside. I saw somebody drive up into the driveway (the dog got really excited and started jumping around), and the person got out, ignored the dog, and went inside. I've seen the dog left outside in scorching heat, and in the pouring rain. It has no toys that I can see, no food or water that I can see, and it has no shelter. It sits under a bush to the side of the driveway. It watches everybody in every car go by. It's so sad :C

I just read up on the laws regarding dogs, and I can tell the "owner(s)" are definitely in violation of at least two of them.

I fucking hate people sometimes.

Please please please please call

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    I hope I work somewhere that lets me bring Franklin in someday. But I think that's unlikely.

I think that's kind of like wishing that you could work from home. I think I would wind up being incredibly distracted by my dog and my wife if I worked from home. I try to do it in the evening and every five minutes my wife is asking me questions about things or trying to talk to me about things that could wait until later. I wouldn't get so annoyed except for I tell her that I'm sitting down to do some work with the intention of letting her know that so I can get my work done and move on to the relaxing time.

If I had my dog at work I'm sure that he'd be getting into things that he shouldn't. He'd probably dig into waste bins for food or even worse sit next to the lunch table and beg for food.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    "Beer and War?"

I'LL TAKE IT

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    One of my roommates works from home. Sometimes we get to cook and watch hulu together on his lunch break. If he's taking a lot of angry calls that day he may even crack a beer. He gets to watch tv and movies in his room while he works as well, plus his second computer is set up to be used for facebooking and the like. I'm pretty sure he's even taken a shower on the clock. He gets paid a lot more than me, but I all in all I don't actually envy him - often he goes 2-3 days without leaving the house. I'd get maaaad cabin fever

One of my roommates works from home. Sometimes we get to cook and watch hulu together on his lunch break. If he's taking a lot of angry calls that day he may even crack a beer. He gets to watch tv and movies in his room while he works as well, plus his second computer is set up to be used for facebooking and the like. I'm pretty sure he's even taken a shower on the clock. He gets paid a lot more than me, but I all in all I don't actually envy him - often he goes 2-3 days without leaving the house. I'd get maaaad cabin fever

He must have some serious vitamin D deficiency.

I wouldn't mind working like that. There are some days where I feel like I could work for 12 hours straight, and some days where my breaks don't feel like they should be mandated by a clock. There's a couple of guys that work remotely for us and I soooo wanna do that. Unfortunately, the position I'm in doesn't allow me to be away from the ol' office.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Haha, old crow. Wasser's seems the most romantic... what are you sayin' 'stang?

That's a bummer, I'd never really heard of Sam Sniderman, but it looks like he played a big part in the Canadian music scene? If so, sad times abound.

e: So, would it be worth it to get borderlands before Borderlands 2? I've heard the second is just so much better, but I wasn't sure if the story line from 1 was pretty integral in the second one.

Prospicience on
    I'd hate that. I absolutely need to leave the house every day. Only times I don't are for really bad weather or road conditions.

e: So, would it be worth it to get borderlands before Borderlands 2? I've heard the second is just so much better, but I wasn't sure if the story line from 1 was pretty integral in the second one.

Nah, you don't need to have Borderlands 1 to understand 2... The main thing is that the characters from part 1 come back as NPC's and get fleshed out a bit more, since they were pretty much empty shells in the first game.

Wuhoo! Good to know, thanks mynt.

edited September 2012
    No Prob... PC, 360 or PS3?

Mynt on
    edited September 2012
    It'll be for PC, it'll be a month or so though.

Prospicience on
    Cool cool... Let me know when you pull the trigger (pun intended). I'm always looking for new people to play with, without having to subject myself to public games.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »
    The concept of swap water is gross.

Typo, I meant swamp water....I don't know what swap water is and I don't think I want to know.

Mustang on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    Monday...grrr!

Sup Garfield, had any good lasagna lately?

edited September 2012
    Interestingly, right after posting about that dog, the owners randomly came home and brought him inside. He isn't left outside every single day like that, but he is most days. Almost every day. I'm going to wait until I see them do it again (which will be very soon) before I call - I've heard that if an officer can see the violations taking place, it's much more likely something will be done.

[edit] I pulled over earlier today and tried to peek at their driveway a little more. I think he does have a water dish, at least. Thank god.

NightDragon on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular

Typo, I meant swamp water....I don't know what swap water is and I don't think I want to know.
    I would ask what I smell like but I'm pretty sure the response would just be leather and...mangoes.

I will take you up on that Mynt.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    It won't be until we're old when the viewers have given up hope. But then it'll be that really sweet, "why did I wait so long/oh we must enjoy the short time we have left" kinda thing.

Whoa whoa whoa- so putting this in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon terms, in this scenario I'm Chow Yun Fat and you're Michelle Yeoh?

That's some bad news for me, if I remember the end of that movie correctly. :(

Also freelancing from home sucks and I hate it.
    Working at a place that allows dogs is pretty alright.

Also @Mynt: I live in the bay area, but since I'm like the least social motherfucker on the planet I doubt that helps.

I know 1900/Deelock/Mars Elliot were/are at AAU so they were/still might be in SF (I don't actually know because I've not tried to meet up with them since moving here like a year ago...like I said, I'm the least social motherfucker on the planet.)

EDIT: Cucumber Quest book has arrived yessssssssss!!!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    People are dicks! More at 11!

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    People are dicks! More at 11!
    internet people, or just regular people?

That's a really cool smell list, dudes. You all seem like sophisticated scents.

If I could get away with wearing pear-scented deoderant I totally would, though I'd like something more like a pear-earthy-woodsy kind of smell. I hate the weird catch-22 of all deodorants / colognes; they tend to be overpowering and harsh, but have to be strong enough scents to cover body odor.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Mangoes wrote: »

I would ask what I smell like but I'm pretty sure the response would just be leather and...mangoes.

fresh tamarind and recycled air.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Mynt wrote: »
    Mynt wrote: »

Nah, you don't need to have Borderlands 1 to understand 2... The main thing is that the characters from part 1 come back as NPC's and get fleshed out a bit more, since they were pretty much empty shells in the first game.
    However, if you have Playstation Plus, Borderlands is a free download right now.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I hated Borderlands 1 so much (on PC) that I unisntalled it after 30min. or less. To be fair, I was playing Fallout 3 at that time, and the graphics from borderland hurted my eyes. I might give borderlands 2 a try, since I heard borderlands 1 was nice for multiplayer coop ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
This discussion has been closed.