As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Borderlands 2 is pretty damn fun so far, it just feels more fully realized than the first.

Edit:

I'm thinking about applying for this job guys: http://twistedpixelgames.com/careers

But I also found this one http://www.triptychgames.com/# looking for an entry level concept artist. What do you guys think?

(No one take those jobs I call dibs)

F87 on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Go for it, mate. Duke Nukem wasn't the greatest game in the world but at least they got the product out the door. More than can be said for the last dev team, right?

I bought NHL13 yesterday. When did sports games become so tough? These AI players are either damn good or I really suck. And then when you get into the whole GM thing, bloody hell! I can see myself wasting a lot of time playing this game.

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I loved Borderlands 1, and put a crazy amount of hours into it. Dug the visuals too.

I can also go long periods of time without leaving my quarters. I think I'd make a good prisoner.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    F87 wrote: »
    Borderlands 2 is pretty damn fun so far, it just feels more fully realized than the first.

Edit:

I'm thinking about applying for this job guys: http://twistedpixelgames.com/careers

But I also found this one http://www.triptychgames.com/# looking for an entry level concept artist. What do you guys think?

(No one take those jobs I call dibs)

aaapppppllyyy!!

also:

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/jobs/job/?Itemid=22&&job_id=48
    http://www.guerrilla-games.com/jobs/job/?Itemid=22&&job_id=34
    wonk ;3

(if anyone actually does want to apply let me know!!)

Kochikens on
    edited September 2012
    Whoa Kochy, those jobs look perfect! I'm definitely going to apply!!

I just dont know if I should keep working on my new portfolio beforehand and risk the position being filled before I feel ready enough to apply.... or just go for it now.

Edit: Actually I'm just now realizing these guys are AAA. I feel like I have a chance at getting into a small team, maybe mobile or casual? But I don't know about a company that made Killzone or big games like that. Maybe I should just shoot for the stars? :P

F87 on
    It can't hurt you to apply. What is the worst that could possibly happen?

Good point. I'm going to spend today updating my website and making a resume (uhg). I guess I could apply soon, work on my new 'folio for a month or two then apply again.

Kochikens
    I think it would be badass to work in Europe for some stage of my life ( I have an EU passport ). Still so much to do in improving my skill though. Still terrible at females and environments, and probably object design. Don't know any 3D. I'm a mess!

How the fuck do you have an EU passport

Dad was born in England! On the way to Canada. Lucky!

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Just apply everywhere. All they can say is no.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You should make a bookmarks folder and fill it with all the companies you can find (AAA behemoths all the way down to tiny indie devs). Then when you need a job, you can visit all those websites and see what's available.

And for the record, even if those positions are filled before you can apply (which, I mean, could be a month or two from now for all we know), there are always other companies hiring. Ideally, if you're open to going anywhere, you have a lot of options.

(Maybe also look into 2D Artist positions - it's closely related and might at least get you a foot in the door).

NightDragon on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got a 50-buck gift voucher for art supplies. Quick, recommend me some gouache brands.

.Tripwire. wrote: »

you lucky bastard

well cmere!!!

I think it would be badass to work in Europe for some stage of my life ( I have an EU passport ). Still so much to do in improving my skill though. Still terrible at females and environments, and probably object design. Don't know any 3D. I'm a mess!

I was thinking about that when I was looking to leave Bermuda. It seemed a lot easier for me to move to Canada so I went that route instead. I can get my EU passport since I'm Bermudian. UK will give me one. If we move again we might consider that. I've been wanting to learn German so that I could move to Germany or Switzerland.

You can try starting with Duolingo, I've heard good things about them as a language learning tool and they have German available. I actually started it but failed to keep it up despite their e-mail alerts. Scheiße!

I downloaded Rosetta Stone a long time ago but never really sat down with it. I should probably actually work at learning the language instead of just sleeping with an English/German dictionary under my pillow.

Learning through osmosis.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Duolingo is really pretty cool! The three days I played with it I was really impressed.

That is awesome. Yay for awesome free things!

This is another awesome free thing: https://www.coursera.org/

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    I loved Borderlands 1, and put a crazy amount of hours into it. Dug the visuals too.

I can also go long periods of time without leaving my quarters. I think I'd make a good prisoner.

I have an open cell I've been wanting to fill for a while now, if you're interested.

- Concrete flooring
    - 2" thick mattress that smells of urine and despair
    - Stainless (but somehow still stained) steel toilet

I'll throw in a free harmonica and promise to haphazardly slide your meals between the gap in the bars, causing food to spill.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

you lucky bastard

well cmere!!!

No I have a better idea. Give me your passport so I don't have to fuck around with visas all the damn time.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    AH grif

I knew that Cole tagname was someone from the PA forums. Thanks for the invite but I don't usually play much sports simulations.

Plus I'm pretty much a dedicated BL2 freak at this point. Some of the writing and missions are actually pretty hilarious. Especially if you find Hey Ash Whattya Playin as funny as I do.

AH grif

I knew that Cole tagname was someone from the PA forums. Thanks for the invite but I don't usually play much sports simulations.

Plus I'm pretty much a dedicated BL2 freak at this point. Some of the writing and missions are actually pretty hilarious. Especially if you find Hey Ash Whattya Playin as funny as I do.

My brother had this to say last night while we were playing:

"Having to find not just 1, but 2 Badonkadonks is probably the greatest quest text ever"

AH grif

That's cool, mate. I don't have many PS3 friends so I just hit all four of em with invites.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    This reminds me:
    Dearest AC; do you play games on your internet box? So do I!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cilantr0

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    I don`t know how long it took him to make it but it`s bloody massive.

http://www.xkcd.com/1110/

Also, http://steamcommunity.com/id/grifter81

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It kinda reminds me of Limbo for some reason, I got a few chills down my spine. Makes you wonder why nobody ever tried it before.

My steam page is http://steamcommunity.com/id/fdownes/ but I'm very rarely online. Mostly Guild Wars 2 at the moment.

Flay on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    @tynic - I would just use Winsor and Newton, but it probably doesn't matter all that much honestly.

So I took Franklin to the beach last week. It had been awhile since I had gone to the beach myself, and I forgot my phone was in my pocket when I walked out into the water. Now it shuts off randomly all the time and when it's on it sets itself into "car mode" constantly. I can still make calls fine, but it's just kind of annoying. I did the put it in rice thing...anybody have any other suggestions?

Picture of him being disgusting:
    franklin_water.jpg

rts on
    So on a scale of "one" to "oh god make it stop", how bad does he smell after an ocean-romp?

"he smells bad but that might just be his breath"

Really, the bigger problem is probably the sand he brings back with him.

oh jeez, he's like a giant mop

a giant sandy seawater mop
    of love

• Jeez, with your two avatars next to each other like that you look like allied factions in a sci-fi war game.

MustangMetalbournesquidbunnyTam
    Jeez, with your two avatars next to each other like that you look like allied factions in a sci-fi war game.

At first glance, I thought it was just one person posting 4 times :P

Any Magic: The Gathering fans out there? They just put up an article about the art design process for the latest expansion. The setting is a plane that has 10 distinct guilds, each with a different design theme. Really interesting stuff for world building, etc. I really like the motif sheets.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/214a

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Jeez, with your two avatars next to each other like that you look like allied factions in a sci-fi war game.

With Moly as their sinister arch-nemesis.

Flay on
    Yeah I keep mixing them uppp!!!

rts wrote: »
    "he smells bad but that might just be his breath"

Really, the bigger problem is probably the sand he brings back with him.

We had that problem with my dog in Bermuda. My wife was determined to take him to the beach every weekend that dogs were allowed there. Dogs aren't allowed on the beaches during tourist season. So, for fall, winter and spring she took him down to the beach. We hosed him down before he came back into the house but the car was covered in sand and dog hair. I could only imagine how bad it would be with a newfie instead of our lab.

edited September 2012
    My avatar is from a faction in a sci-fi war game (Homeworld). Sorry I made a similar avatar to yours ND, I will try to find a way to change it to look different while still displaying my loyalty to Hiigara.

@Grifter - My entire house has a thin layer of sand over it right now. Also my car. I really need to sweep....

rts on
    NightDragon
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Dudes, is there a way to completely kill the draft thing from this forum? (other than manually deleting them one by one)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
This discussion has been closed.