As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    so... finally get talking with a girl and things are going fine (i.e. for a few weeks now)... and my family comes out of nowhere in an attempt to set me up with another girl. This wouldn't be so bad but the second girl seems to think we're already dating and, while she's nice and cute, I kinda want to see things through with the first girl before getting too involved with another. Awkward. And of course this happens to me.

edit: damn totp :/

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Definitely start looking for a job months before you graduate.

I've had a rough week, guys. E-hugs are appreciated, though I'll also accept e-chocolate and e-dogs.

[edit] Though not e-dogs with e-chocolate inside them. That would be a sadness.

Eisley sends you an e-snuggle and a possibly unwelcome dog breath face e-lick.

NightDragon
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Definitely start looking for a job months before you graduate.

I've had a rough week, guys. E-hugs are appreciated, though I'll also accept e-chocolate and e-dogs.

[edit] Though not e-dogs with e-chocolate inside them. That would be a sadness.

How about E-dogs inside E-Chocolates?

E-hugs ND. hang in there. you'll make it. you'll make it e-verywhere.

PROX on
    NightDragon
  • Nappuccino wrote: »
    so... finally get talking with a girl and things are going fine (i.e. for a few weeks now)... and my family comes out of nowhere in an attempt to set me up with another girl. This wouldn't be so bad but the second girl seems to think we're already dating and, while she's nice and cute, I kinda want to see things through with the first girl before getting too involved with another. Awkward. And of course this happens to me.

WRONG. Make them battle for your affections in a best 2 out of 3 match of Crossfire®.

Otherwise you're going to find yourself all living together in the same building, anime rom-com style, and then you'll get nowhere with anybody for at least 26 episodes because of all the fucking antics. Not with girl A, not with girl B, not with the stoic girl with superpowers, not with the feisty exchange student, not with the sultry mid-30's lady, not with the overbearing dad character, not with the mysteriously unexplained cute monster pet.

edited September 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »

WRONG. Make them battle for your affections in a best 2 out of 3 match of Crossfire®.

Otherwise you're going to find yourself all living together in the same building, anime rom-com style, and then you'll get nowhere with anybody for at least 26 episodes because of all the fucking antics. Not with girl A, not with girl B, not with the stoic girl with superpowers, not with the feisty exchange student, not with the sultry mid-30's lady, not with the overbearing dad character, not with the mysteriously unexplained cute monster pet.

So it will be exactly like the rest of my life besides the cute monster pet? I guess I can deal with that.... or I can just ask girl A out on a legit date and take it from there? I guess?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Nappuccino wrote: »
    or I can just ask girl A out on a legit date and take it from there?

But if you did that, there's a chance we wouldn't be able to have any more of these lovely conversations about your woeful love life and boo-hoo loneliness every couple of weeks, and then where would we be? Talking about your steady relationship with your nice girlfriend sounds far less entertaining.

What about ME, man? What about US?!

<runs out crying>

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular

But if you did that, there's a chance we wouldn't be able to have any more of these lovely conversations about your woeful love life and boo-hoo loneliness every couple of weeks, and then where would we be? Talking about your steady relationship with your nice girlfriend sounds far less entertaining.

<runs out crying>
    That first part sounded almost spiteful, Bacon.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I just came to say that dog+chocolate shouldnt be mixed, chocolate and hugs is OK, dogs and hugs is OK too.... chocolate and dogs is not really compatible. There are other animals, like bunnies, who are more socially acceptable to be related to chocolate.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    yea, I felt all top of the world last week, what with the freelance illustration and all. Now my regular (i.e. bill paying job) is cutting hours on all of the designers. So I am on the job hunt as well.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    crossfire… CROSSFIIIIREEEEEEEE!!!

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    what was the name of that FTP tool that had a duck in it?

<runs out crying>

My god, I've been so selfish!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what was the name of that FTP tool that had a duck in it?

Cyberduck

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Thanks fellow forumites

Awesome, Cyberduck rocks!

So I called animal control about that dog...they transferred me to the police department, and the guy told me they'd send an officer to "check on" the dog. We'll see if that results in anything. :\

That's cop lingo for something...

Hopefully not "look at the dog, not realize that laws are being violated, and leave".

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    What city are you in, ND?

Edit, the reason I ask is you probably want to contact the SPCA, because they are non-profit and Animal Control is usually a city run service that makes sure people aren't getting rabies and getting attacked by misplaced wild animals. The SPCA will investigate cruelty cases, and will usually go out and discuss better care with the owner.

Iruka on
    I'm in Providence, RI. I think that's what I was looking for initially, I just couldn't remember "SPCA". I looked at the animal control site though, and it said it can handle neglect cases, too. I know animal control is usually called for attacks and wandering animals and such, but their website told me they handle a lot of other stuff, so I opted for that.

If it's still happening in a week though, I'll call the SPCA. I put that in Google and up popped the website I'd been looking for, go figure heh

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Why does he keep making threads? I mean why? He's got to know at this point that no one likes his art, will buy his books, or support him in any way whatsoever but he still feels the need to post here.

I just don't understand it.

are YOU on the beer list?
    He's just trolling, at this point. I mean he's clearly not looking for critiques of any kind.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Guys I'm graduating this year and I'm afraid I'm going to get a big boy job that will affect my motivation to pursue my personal/professional goals during the off-hours.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If I can stay motivated so can you Sieg! Thats what the forums are for. Just keep posting! WE WILL ALL GET JOBS AND IT WILL BE OKAY

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Guys I'm graduating this year and I'm afraid I'm going to get a big boy job that will affect my motivation to pursue my personal/professional goals during the off-hours.

Set some specific written goals. Make yourself accountable!

edited September 2012

Honestly, it's not the end of the world if it happens a little bit.

It happened to me with making personal art. I could've, but I opted instead to spent 100% of my creative energy on helping my company make a beautiful game..........and then once we went under, I realized (along with basically the entirety of the art team) that "oh shit, I have nothing to show other companies". My portfolio was/is insanely out of date.

It starts to burn you out if you just work, though. That's the other thing.

There was a guy on the art team who told me he kept a spreadsheet to make sure he drew something for himself every day. He said he hadn't had a slip-up in three years, which was awesome and insane. He worked a lot, too.

You can try setting mini goals for yourself to complete every week, every other week, or every month if you'd like. Don't make it too daunting, but a little reminder might help.

NightDragon on
  • MyntMynt Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna lie to you, sometimes it's difficult when you get home from a long day of work, to sit down and do more work. I'm just gonna echo everyone else's sentiments that you should identify and write down as accurately as you can what those goals are, the steps it'll take you to get there, and a realistic timeline for you to reach each step. This list will change over time, but it's a huge help... You have to be your own producer, cause no one else will do it for you.

Another thing that helps me is telling some of my art-friends what these goals are and to listen when they share theirs. It's a small way that we hold each other accountable by checking in on each other, and pushing each other to do more/better. The community here in the AC is great, but if you have someone you know personally that you can rely on, that's even better.

I think I'm both unlucky and lucky when it comes to this topic... When I first got into the job market, I just wanted work, and would take any job. After a few years though, I started to realize that it wasn't fulfilling, despite the money I was making, and that made me start to scramble to identify what I REALLY wanted to get out of art. It's a question I never even considered until it was too late. The lucky part is, every time I feel myself getting lazy, I think of the disdain I have for my current job, and use that to put my ass to work. You just have to find motivation where you can.

Sorry about rambling on... but yours is a problem that hits close to home for me, and something I wrassle with from time to time. Hope this helps!

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    Quick...somebody give me an example description you might get when working in concept art so I can drawing something for a portfolio.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    NibCrom wrote: »

Set some specific written goals. Make yourself accountable!

UGH! That sounds incredibly unnatural. Sort of, inflict self mutilation to cleanse your evil thoughts.
    Writting a guide to something you are comfortable with is one thing... but, make yourself accountable? Its like, past-you constantly pointing the finger at present-you.... the pressure.... the guilt.

PS: I do 7 office hours, 6 days a week, and I dont feel Im any less motivated, on the contrary, changing some settings in your life may leave you with less time to draw, but with a head richer with experiences, wich always translate to better, improved and new ideas..... asuming your personal/profesional goals were art related.

EDIT: Plus, what iruka said, this place is excellent to keep motivated and in touch, and we will all be allright (star emoticon?)

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    PS: I do 7 office hours, 6 days a week, and I dont feel Im any less motivated, on the contrary, changing some settings in your life may leave you with less time to draw, but with a head richer with experiences, wich always translate to better, improved and new ideas..... asuming your personal/profesional goals were art related.

Yeah, some people are different. I started to burn out because I spent all my creative energy at work...and when I got home, I'd just want to watch mindless garbage on Hulu - like Gordon Ramsay yelling at people "IT'S RAAAAAAW! Just touch that. Right there. IT'S COLD IN THE CENTER".

I'm certainly much better at certain things now, and that's great...but I've always felt like I had a limited amount of "creative energy" I could expend in a day, and I could expend it doing any number of creative things beyond drawing, too.

I felt left-brain deprived after awhile, actually. I wanted to do coding or algebra or something techy, I felt creatively exhausted and just wanted something "mechanical" to think about. Kinda hard to explain, but that was my desire. :P

In other news, I peeled and consumed an orange in my room, and now my room smells deliciously like orange. Part of the reason I peeled it in my room, actually.

Molybdenum
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    rts wrote: »
    Quick...somebody give me an example description you might get when working in concept art so I can drawing something for a portfolio.

Draw the king of a bird people race.

Then draw the bed that the barely not homeless people of that race would sleep in.

Or draw a space marine and his ship.

*edit
    So http://www.rainymood.com is pretty awesome.

Wassermelone on
    edited September 2012
    www.simplynoise.com does a similar thing. I actually used that site for awhile to help me fall asleep.

NightDragon on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

honest answer??

space alien enemy and marine space soldier main character, both unique, fresh, appealing and recognizable

Thanks guys. Getting to work now.

Also, what kind of time frame do you guys usually get for this type of stuff? I don't want to spend 100 hours on every piece in my portfolio and then have employers expecting me to be able to do that in 2.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »

honest answer??

space alien enemy and marine space soldier main character, both unique, fresh, appealing and recognizable

...and make it colorful, but we only want you to use blue and pink. Our trend forecasters say those are gonna be huge in AAA games this year.
    /gooseclients
    #gooseclients ?

@iruka, sieg, cracker- PAAC: we're job-getting people.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »

honest answer??

"What I need is for you to take this incredibly generic and bland idea and turn it into something incredible and genre defining. Wow, all this innovation has made me sleepy, I'm going to take a nap and think up some more ideas. I had an idea about a side scrolling adventure involving an italian plumber that could go somewhere."

Mustang on
    Also, what kind of time frame do you guys usually get for this type of stuff? I don't want to spend 100 hours on every piece in my portfolio and then have employers expecting me to be able to do that in 2.

Depends on what stage. If you've just gotten the assignment, then turn out a bunch quickly. Don't spend more than a day. A day being 8 hours. If you're in the later stages of character development, you'd be refining/doing revisions/alternates of a few designs and would have more time for it.

Also keep in mind that you said concept art and we've only given you characters so it would be a really really great idea for you to do some interior/exterior environment concept art.

This discussion has been closed.