As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    I am going to be putting together an 'ideal portfolio' made up of other people's artwork, and then I am going to go through and replace each piece with one of my own directed at the same task. whether that is characters, environments, vehicles or lamps. If people have any recommendations for artwork I should put into that fake portfolio I would love to see them.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    James Paick for environments.

Scott Robertson for vehicle design.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I love James Paick.

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    Wait these people are too good. I need more mediocre people so I don't feel as bad when I compare my work to theirs.

Molybdenum
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Whatever, man, you can totally do it. Your painting skills are already good, just dooooo iiittttt

Don't aspire to match artists you consider mediocre.

Really, Ryan.

Use that disappointment to fuel your studies! Yaaaaay! Right?

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    my disappointment to steely determination engine is terribly inefficient. I've halted progress for a while searching for alternate fuel sources.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Try using "Crushing Defeat". I've heard that's premium Disappointment.

no_toast
  • Yesterday the first thing out of my mouth was "SHIT!!!" as I suddenly realized I had slept an hour later than I had thought, making me a bit late for work.

Today the first thing I said was, "AGGHH! WHAT THE FUCK!?!" as I woke up with a severe pain in the top of my calf that wasn't there when I went to bed, making it hard to move.

Anyone want to take a guess on what swear word(s) I'm going to be exclaiming first thing tomorrow morning to nobody in particular, and for what reason? Maybe if I've got an educated guess to go on I'll feel more prepared for whatever mishaps befalls me.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Shitsticks!!

Because you made peepee in the bed.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I'm at work with nothing urgent to do and not a manager within 300 kilometers of the office.
    The urge to do fuck all is overwhelming.

• Go have an extremely European-style 3 hour, 6 course lunch.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I'm not worried about not getting a job, I'm confident I can work pretty much anywhere. I'm more worried, like some of you have pointed out, about working a job I like just enough to become complacent and stop working hard at my goals. Like, if I have a job I hate, I'm way more motivated to do other stuff after hours.

One of us needs to start a business and hire all our PAAC friends. I'll work on the branding and website design, for starters.

In fact...let's open this up for discussion right now: barring all monetary and location issues, what would your dream job situation be? My problem is I want to do everything under the sun it feels like. I want to make comics(gag strips and perhaps a short story eventually), I like making logos and lettering, I love wayfinding and user interface design, and I love designing posters and t-shirts. I'd even like to write and illustrate a children's book at some point. I'm afraid that if I pick any one thing I'm going to pigeon-hole myself and not let my other talents shine. I also hate working for other people, even though I've enjoyed working with others and I've had some great bosses, I'd much rather be my own boss, or work alongside others rather than under them.

Half of the appeal of the relative success of webcomics people, for example, isn't so much that they get to make a living off of their comics, but that they also have to brand themselves, and be personable as the face of their business, and design merchandise, etc etc. Which probably sounds awful to a lot of people, but the versatility of these people sounds awesome. I want to be that guy.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited September 2012
    Dream-job situation? I get to learn/do a bit of everything. I have way too many interests that I've love to turn into professional careers.

But if I had to pick just one, it would probably be making art for film...either concepts, or matte paintings, or special effects, or whathaveyou. Go to the movies, see my name in the credits? Holyfuckingawesomesauce.

I love the idea of working with a huge number of talented folks to churn out some massive, awesome project. Also why I wanted to get into games. Same kinda thing.

(or be an archaeologist, or a special-effects makeup artist, or an actress, or volunteer all over the world in whichever ways would be most beneficial, or etc. etc.)

NightDragon on
    Also I haven't been able to sleep very well, lately.

I just finished Dance w/Dragons, and I need a new book to read! I think I have a few I bought from a book fair last year that I haven't read yet. I need some downtime before bed that does not involve forums :C

When I can't sleep I listen to an album. Some of my favorites include:
    Vacation by Bomb the Music Industry
    God Hates Us All by Slayer
    North Sentinel Island by The Copyrights
    ...Is a Real Boy by Say Anything
    False Hopes by Doomtree
    Carnavas by Silversun Pickups

Kochikens wrote:
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't have a job at all, I would like to have enough money to be able to learn multiple subjects full time until I die.
    Having to earn money often feels like a giant pain in the ass to me.

If I had to pick a job it would be somewhere in the creative side of the movie industry, I honestly wouldn't care where. Script writing, props (man props would fucking cool though), CG, Concept Art etc. I would actually like to do all of it.

Mustang on
    NightDragon
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    First Couch-Guy. Now Man-Props?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    See I just want to make enough money to support a family and support my projects full-time, whatever they may be. Plus I partly want to make something that people can relate to and enjoy in some capacity, whether it be a children's book of sorts, or a short-form comic/graphic novel, or even music. I want to go up to my heroes and say "you and your work really inspired me growing up to create this thing," and then have people come up to me eventually and say the same thing.

Kochikens wrote:
    Mynt
    People think I'm nuts when I say I'd still work, even if I had like...won the lottery.

Why? Because I'd still want to work on those projects, learn from my peers, and meet awesome people.

I probably wouldn't work a "normal" schedule if that could be avoided (I'd travel! Also take classes in my free time)...but I'd still want to be working, in some capacity.

MustangMynt
    Iruka, come work for me. Your main job will be to pick out fucking awesome color schemes. And then like, drawing or whatever. Not important, we'll iron out the details when we get there.

Kochikens wrote:
    Yeah, I'm on the same page ND. If I had unlimited money I would still want to be involved in the world. Checking out and going on holidays all the time would get pretty old pretty fast. Learning and creating is like breathing, I'm miserable if I don't get time to do it. Even if it's just doodling or picking up my guitar for 30 minutes.

NightDragonMynt
    ND, Mustang, if I ever have a movie to make, I'll know who to call(Ghostbusters).

Kochikens wrote:
    NightDragon
    edited September 2012
    I would probably make some terrible sci-fi movie. It would be a turgid mess because I'd try to make it into some psuedo intellectual bullshit, and would probably put massive plot holes in the story on purpose or do the whole thing in black and white, and then lump it with some ridiculous title.

"The Aliens Who Stole Earth and Replaced It With Another Earth That Was Exactly The Same In Every Way"

Mustang on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    My dream job is somewhere between art director, creative director, and lore guy for an mmo/movie/something.

I love art and illustrating, but I love the writing/ideas aspect of world building almost as much. And I love talking about those things.

Mynt
    World building - I love that term. It's probably one of, if not THE reasons I do art.

• I want to make good things that I and a decent number of other people like.

Mynt
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    If I had infinite money I would probably sleep for a good long while. Maybe after that I'd die.

Kochikens
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I just want a reg 9-5 with decent pay plus benefits and a lot of vacation hours, time enough to paint and draw in my own time.

On a related note, I absolutely HATE looking for jobs. Sifting through careerbuilder and monster and craigslist and so on, then crafting cover letters and tailor made portfolios, begging for the opportunity to be underpaid. I am sick of this shit. Thinking about going back to the grocery business...

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    My wife has been bugging me about going to a couple of the "better" thrift stores in the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    A part time job to pay the rent (if that's possible where you are) while the rest of your time goes toward pursuing artistic jobs; it's really the best way to go about it if you can.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    haha Grifter, I can't stop listening to that song. Since I saw that video a while back, I really want to get a huge furry coat!

Also,
    My dream job is somewhere between art director, creative director, and lore guy for an mmo/movie/something.

I love art and illustrating, but I love the writing/ideas aspect of world building almost as much. And I love talking about those things.

Wass, you would make an excellent Dungeon Master!

F87 on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    wass please run a D&D game that I can play

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I think I'm with Mustang a bit here where large amounts of money would take me back to school and I'd learn ALL THE THINGS. I'm a bit of a workaholic though, so I'm sure I would work as well. My super dream jobs would be to either draw storyboards for animated movies, or just work for an animated movie, period. Of course, I have no experience with animation whatsoever and my attempt to go back to school was so disappointing I don't know if I'd ever try again unless I had a bazillion dollars, so my dream jobs are pretty far out of reach.

But I get to teach girl scouts how to make comics in October, and then award them with badges if they pass! :D

melting_doll on
    NightDragon
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    What are the badges gonna look like?

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    If I had no moneyworries, I'd love to work as a game mechanics designer and only do art/design as a hobby.

Somebody should pay me to just learn about everything, all the time.

I LOVE LEARNING SO MUCH

Mynt
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Guess who wore their underpants inside out today?

Kochikens
This discussion has been closed.