As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    quran.png

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Time to start strippin, bebarce.

Also, I didn't realize till that post that it's bebarce. I've always read it as bebrace.

Also also, that's easily the best advice I've ever given.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I would post in the question thread but the chat gets more action.

I've decided to tilt at the windmill of learning low poly 3D again. I tried a couple times in the past but I could never make it past the initial stages of learning the programs and concepts well enough that I could actually get to the fun part of making something. The gap between "here's how to make a primitive and extrude shapes" to actually making shit seems impenetrable.

I settled on trying 3Ds Max this time, and I'm finding it difficult to locate tutorial resources. A lot of the videos I'm finding on youtube are pretty dry tours of the program itself without really teaching much of the underlying big ideas about 3D work, or they teach techniques that even a novice can tell are "gimmicky"/cheating, or they're too advanced and they're just quick trick tutorials about advanced techniques. I've also scanned over CGtalk, CGhub, Polycount (the only program-agnostic 3D forums I could think of), and there doesn't seem to be very much on the forum front for teaching fundamentals.

So, if anyone has some advice, that would be rad. My current big goal is to be capable of producing game-quality assets from start to finish for the TF2 or Dota 2 Workshop . I have no idea how long that will take or if my experience with drawing/painting will inform that work at all, but that's my current motivation.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I would also be super interested in hearing about this.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, If you are any good at text book reading, I'd recommend picking up a book. Yes, they will kinda spell out everything like you have no idea that 3D was even possible, but sometimes thats what I need. I got this guy used: http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Autodesk-Official-Training-Guide/dp/047091615X/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339642950&sr=1-11&keywords=3ds+max

and dont get me wrong, its not like the shining jewel of books, but I did actually start working which is way further than any video tut has gotten me. Go to your local bookstore and thumb through their options, and then if you find something you like, buy it online used.

Only issue is max updates like every year so this book is already dated. Still it covers such basics that they haven't really become invalid

Iruka on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Are we talking about learning in here? Because I feel like I've had to learn a billion technical things in the past two weeks. With more to come! Dear programs, I should have spent more time with you in my free time. I'm sorry. Now I'll spend all of my free time with you, and we'll be together.
    FOREVER.
    D:

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Are we talking about learning in here? Because I feel like I've had to learn a billion technical things in the past two weeks. With more to come! Dear programs, I should have spent more time with you in my free time. I'm sorry. Now I'll spend all of my free time with you, and we'll be together.
    FOREVER.
    D:

Well that post devolved into Tron-based romantic fanfiction pretty quick.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I would post in the question thread but the chat gets more action.

I've decided to tilt at the windmill of learning low poly 3D again. I tried a couple times in the past but I could never make it past the initial stages of learning the programs and concepts well enough that I could actually get to the fun part of making something. The gap between "here's how to make a primitive and extrude shapes" to actually making shit seems impenetrable.

I settled on trying 3Ds Max this time, and I'm finding it difficult to locate tutorial resources. A lot of the videos I'm finding on youtube are pretty dry tours of the program itself without really teaching much of the underlying big ideas about 3D work, or they teach techniques that even a novice can tell are "gimmicky"/cheating, or they're too advanced and they're just quick trick tutorials about advanced techniques. I've also scanned over CGtalk, CGhub, Polycount (the only program-agnostic 3D forums I could think of), and there doesn't seem to be very much on the forum front for teaching fundamentals.

So, if anyone has some advice, that would be rad. My current big goal is to be capable of producing game-quality assets from start to finish for the TF2 or Dota 2 Workshop . I have no idea how long that will take or if my experience with drawing/painting will inform that work at all, but that's my current motivation.

I'm in the same boat right now, sort of. I have chosen to learn 3ds Max and Zbrush. I've never actually finished this tutorial, but apparently it goes over everything from start to finish.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

I've just finished the body, moving on to the head now. I've started this tutorial about 3 times over the last few years. This is the time for sure! But my plan of attack is to do a couple great tutorials on organic and nonorganic things, then make a list of 10 awesome video game related objects (from easy to hard) and model them on my own.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Do people in the real world really use ortho concepts like that, importing them into 3D programs and just matching the contours? It seems like such an obtuse way to get things done.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yes, because not all 3d artists understand or can interpret proportions from a flat image. Its an art training thing - the better you are as an artist, the better you are at cutting out that step.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hey AC, I have a question about master artists. I'm used to seeing people talk about "the masters" and it is always in reference to Rembrandt, da Vinci, whoever. All people from Olden Times. Are there any contemporary masters? What makes someone a master? Is it a designation that can only be applied to someone retrospectively? Like people now might be masters, but only when people in the future decide they were?

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Rob Liefeld is probably the only recent master.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    trollolololol

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Incorrect. You have to include Rob Granito in the list of modern day masters.

• Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    PierceNeck wrote: »

I had to search his name to remember who this guy is. Real legend.
    Grifter wrote: »
    Looking into this man has been enriching.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    smof wrote: »
    Hey AC, I have a question about master artists. I'm used to seeing people talk about "the masters" and it is always in reference to Rembrandt, da Vinci, whoever. All people from Olden Times. Are there any contemporary masters? What makes someone a master? Is it a designation that can only be applied to someone retrospectively? Like people now might be masters, but only when people in the future decide they were?

Joking aside, there are people alive today that are as good if not better than the old masters. But from what I've seen the phrase 'master artist' if used in reference to a living person, its generally being used as a marketing term for a gallery show or art sale. Sometimes legitimately, as in the guy is really damn good, or sometimes its used in Sky Mall about a guy who paints on black velvet. Its not really a phrase that means anything today.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Since art these days is much broader and more accessible than it was five hundred years ago, it's difficult to pin down a definition of master that could be applied to both time periods. Nowadays the word means different things depending on the context in which it's used. 'Master' means one thing when referring to Da Vinci and another when referring to Picasso, and future generations will probably adapt their understanding of the concept similarly to artists today.

That said when I hear the phrase 'master painter' I still think of traditional plein air landscapes, still life, and so on. I'm not hugely knowledgeable on art history or contemporary artists, but a more recent master (in my opinion) would be John Singer Sargent.

Flay on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    srsizzy wrote: »
    PierceNeck wrote: »

I had to search his name to remember who this guy is. Real legend.
    Grifter wrote: »
    Looking into this man has been enriching.

It looks like there's a British guy doing something similar.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/02/the-british-rob-granito/

• Options
    The blue angels are flying over baltimore this weekend. really cool, or really fucking goddamn loud?

I'll give you a hint
    Its super fucking loud

When I actually see them its kinda cool, but it wore off yesterday.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Blue Angels? What the dick they fly in F/A-18 Hornets? Isn't that expensive as shit?
    All we have here is a single Lancaster flying over us every 5th of May, but I like that. It's a nice machine a Lancaster.
    So for how long do the Blue Angels fly around the city?

• Options
    I guess just saturday and sunday, we've been hearing the practice runs. thankfully, it doesn't seem to last much longer than 90 minutes.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    m3nace wrote: »
    Blue Angels? What the dick they fly in F/A-18 Hornets? Isn't that expensive as shit?
    All we have here is a single Lancaster flying over us every 5th of May, but I like that. It's a nice machine a Lancaster.
    So for how long do the Blue Angels fly around the city?

There's also only two left that fly! F18s are nothing special.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    All I wanted today was a rootbeer float but I accidentally bought "frozen desert treat" instead of ice cream. Half of the time now, what looks like ice cream is actually whipped coconut oil which I am allergic to. :(

• Options
    What the hell is 'frozen desert treat' and why.

That reminds me, my work kitchen recently got a frozen yogurt machine put in it. I thought that I had eaten frozen yogurt before, but maybe I haven't, looking back on it- because I was expecting something sugared up and processed to the point where it was basically like ice cream anyway, (maybe a little worse). What I was not prepared for was a mouthful of what was effectively just tart, Greek-style yogurt- just served colder than normal. I guess it makes sense, but still, bluhhhhhhh.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Ohhh my god froyo is so great

pinkberry is amazing

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Do you still like it with no flavoring whatsoever in it? I had some chocolate chips on top that didn't really help anything (plus they gave me a nasty sugar headache).

EDIT: Your lack of capitalization made me not realize Froyo was probably intended as a proper noun denoting a particular brand, rather than a genericized term for frozen yogurt.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Ohhh my god froyo is so great

pinkberry is amazing

nonono. Yogurtland is amazing. Froyo is super cheap in Cali and Yogurtland has all the glorious asian-suburb toppings. (Rainbow mochi! Starfruit! Red Bean sauce!)

Also- Iruka, my house is on the flight path into an air force base. The loudest noise you will ever hear is a B-2 Spirit, and terrifyingly you won't hear anything until it is already past.

Paraphrased scene from my driveway five years ago:
    *A B-2 appears on the distant horizon, flying rather low*
    "Hey, is that a B-2? That's moving way faster than the usual stuff."
    "That's the triangley one right?"
    *The B-2 passes overhead*
    "Yeah, I think so. Must be on the wa-"
    *sounds of the sky being torn in half for two minutes*

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    What the hell is 'frozen desert treat' and why.

I don't really get it but I guess adding coconut oil to "modified milk ingredients" gives it a richer, creamier taste but since it's not really ice cream any more, they have to put frozen treat or frozen dessert (not desert) on the packaging. It used to be all I had to watch out for with ice cream was if it was rocky road or something that had nuts in it but now they seem to be using coconut in everything.

• Options
    DMAC wrote: »
    frozen dessert (not desert)

God dammit, I really need to proofread my posts better.
    Every time I look back on older posts I've made and spot a typo, I always feel that people must think I'm an idiot.

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    but ur meenin in da words is what maters bcaon

nbody care how u speall

Mangoes on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Do you still like it with no flavoring whatsoever in it? I had some chocolate chips on top that didn't really help anything (plus they gave me a nasty sugar headache).

EDIT: Your lack of capitalization made me not realize Froyo was probably intended as a proper noun denoting a particular brand, rather than a genericized term for frozen yogurt.

Nah I just meant frozen yogurt in general

You gotta get it with fruit, then it is the best.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    hey mangoes.
    so tired. tiiired.

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Its after one am.

Do you know where your munchies are?

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    There's a GoBerry near my work! I got Strawberry frozen yogurt wit raspberries, blueberries and chocolate chips the other day and it was deliiiiicious

It isn't even 8am and I'm awake for the second time today because of ulcer/tummy pains. I just ate 6 tums, an antacid capsule, and a DGL tablet for my breakfast in attempts to dull the pain enough for me to fall back asleep

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    DMAC wrote: »
    frozen dessert (not desert)

God dammit, I really need to proofread my posts better.
    Every time I look back on older posts I've made and spot a typo, I always feel that people must think I'm an idiot.

I'm the one who spelled it wrong in the first place.

I ended up making a second trip to the grocery store and got my damned ice cream after all.

DMAC on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey DMAC, my roommate really liked the drawing you did.

She didn't like it so much when I asked if she would like to keep it or exchange it for the contents of THE MYSTERY BOX, but she did choose the picture after a certain amount of crying and attempting to manhandle THE MYSTERY BOX from my grasp.

• Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    Almond "ice cream" and rice cream are pretty good, although you probably can't eat the almond one, and I guess no one other than lactose-intolerant and vegans give a damn.

Finally feeling like I'm getting over a hump in drawing, using "Dynamic Anatomy" and drawing a bunch. Figure drawing class in July.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Not a fan of froyo.

I AM a fan of the Watermelon Sorbet flavor that Greaters has going on this summer.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Hey DMAC, my roommate really liked the drawing you did.

She didn't like it so much when I asked if she would like to keep it or exchange it for the contents of THE MYSTERY BOX, but she did choose the picture after a certain amount of crying and attempting to manhandle THE MYSTERY BOX from my grasp.

I am very glad I live alone.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Not a fan of froyo.

I AM a fan of the Watermelon Sorbet flavor that Greaters has going on this summer.

Can't bring myself to eat anything other than the blueberry pie flavor, weak I am.

This discussion has been closed.