As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a triple turtle [chat]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    oh yeah, that reminds me about noise. When looking at a power supply check the reviews to make sure it is not obnoxiously loud.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i am still running a PC with 2 gigs of RAM

i should probably put some more in there at some point

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    One day I will do a comedy routine about how white I am

I look unhealthy I am so white. I was in the gym earlier and caught a glance of myself out of the corner of my eye.

Not a good look. Though I think the shitty lighting was mostly responsible for the corpse like pallor. :P

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Welp, birthday time.

I'm at that point where I utterly despise every additional number added to my age, but at least I have a fun day planned. Going to watch me some Avengers in 3D.

Usually a big budget movie is all I need. I'll probably get some birthday cash, but I'm debating between Max Payne 3 and Diablo III.

Diablo 3 is probably a better bang-for-buck. I'd rent Max Payne 3 instead.

And have fun. Avengers is the shiz-nit.

I dunno, though. I think my tastes have grown more...mainstream?....over the years.

Diablo III will probably be the longer, deeper, more enriching game.

But then there's Max Payne 3 which I know is going to have that awesome Rockstar presentation plus bullet time and explosions and people saying Fuck one million times as they shoot more people....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGq23gfh3Lk&feature=player_embedded&hd=1

Also cellos. Shit yeah, cellos.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I am really sick of vanilla fucking up post order or inserting new posts upthread

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Elldren I am sorry I missed your message on Steam. I was at school and left my desktop on.

Mind answering my question then?

Sure. Endless Space is a 4x turn based game that is in Alpha but you can buy it and play the Alpha. Think of a minecraft that way. I find the UI is gorgeous and the game is very stable. It plays more like MoO2 than any of the 4x games I have played in a few years which makes me happy. Some examples and more in depth stuff in the spoiler.
    Okay so it is a 4x. You get more system based control than planet but you do work on planets so lets go through that first.

Each planet you can to an exploitation. This improves money, tech, production or food. Some planet types are better at different things. Terran planets are kind of well rounded with no drawbacks. Arid is better at money(dust which is like spice). Lava is better for production but causes a happiness hit in the system. There are bonuses/anomalies on planets. Some are good like friendly natives, others are bad like poor soil. Pretty standard 4x space stuff.

There are currently 5 races. Humans are basically the Imperium from 40k. Ships even look similar. Others say it is the Empire from Dune. Similar design style. The Cravers which are bugs that can never make peace with folks and can deplete planets but till then get a boost of resources and bonuses from killing enemy ships. The Kissho which are the bird/warrior race with a small tech penalty but a big bonus to damage. The Horatio which is basically a clone army of a trillionaire guy. They do money. And the tech nerds, think Psilons from MoO.

Space combat is a weird mix of cinematic autocombat and a simple card game. You have three rounds, long, medium and melee. You choose a card for each round. Some cards cancel other cards and get a bonus. You can win a close battle playing the right cards. It is actually pretty fun.

In general the game is a lot of fun. It is in alpha so it isn't nearly finished. There is no spying yet. Ground invasion are a simple press of a button and just keeping your ships there a few turns.The weapons are not balanced and so on.

Eventually there will be multiplayer and the game is already a ton of fun. Also if you buy it now you get a voice in the design through votes and such. Which is kind of cool.

I hope that helped.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    water cooled systems are hilarious because they're totally unnecessary now

sexy, though

a good one can, in theory, be a lot quieter than an air cooling system that can dissapate as much heat.

maybe a few years ago, but you can get higher-end heatsinks that will be just as quiet and end up being cheaper. that, and you can also get cases where you can adjust fan speed from right on the front of the case.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Quiet you guys, I like my computer's radiator. It is sexy. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    ok now people tell me how to build my computer

To get good info about computer purchases you need to decide either how much you want to spend or what is the minimum you want it to be able to do (eg: "run game X at max settings"). If you don't nail one one of the variables (preferably price) it's not really possible to say what purchase would be best.

run Diablo III at max or close to it

not explode

laptop? If not, then do you have anything from an old computer you can reuse like monitors, keyboard, mouse, windows license, DVD drive etc... Those little things add up.

oh yeah I've got my computer and monitor

I just want to get an actual video card, new power supply, and add some RAM

but I dunno about video cards!

It's not usually that easy to "add ram", or simply plug in a video card. Unfortunately.

If your computer is a pre-built deal (Dell or the like), then odds are good it wasn't designed with "upgrade later" in mind. If that's the case, you'll pretty much need a brand new everything; the good news is, a mid-range is pretty cheap. I think I spent around 700 a few years ago, and I was going for a little over mid-range.

it was built by me with help from someone else, with upgrade later in mind

so I don't really want a whole new one right now

I know I can get a very appreciable upgrade by getting an actual video card

Oh, good. Didn't mean to insult, but I wasn't sure - you named yourself noob, after all. :)
    well like

I'm not sure what PCI is exactly

I am aware that it is a type of slot!

also

what is overclocking

overclocking is when you fiddle with a device to make it run at a faster speed than it does out of the box (usually also providing more power in the process). This makes it generate a lot more heat and can cause all kinds of problems (up to and including melting) if you don't have enough cooling. Or if you just happened to get the wrong batch of part (since it is running outside the safe design specs).

God I miss the days when Cyrix chips would do that without overclocking.

• gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I asked a girl out and she said yes. HIGH FIVES EVERYONE I'M WINNING AT LIFE.

gorillaSig.jpg
    Thomamelas wrote: »

To get good info about computer purchases you need to decide either how much you want to spend or what is the minimum you want it to be able to do (eg: "run game X at max settings"). If you don't nail one one of the variables (preferably price) it's not really possible to say what purchase would be best.

not explode

laptop? If not, then do you have anything from an old computer you can reuse like monitors, keyboard, mouse, windows license, DVD drive etc... Those little things add up.

It's not usually that easy to "add ram", or simply plug in a video card. Unfortunately.

If your computer is a pre-built deal (Dell or the like), then odds are good it wasn't designed with "upgrade later" in mind. If that's the case, you'll pretty much need a brand new everything; the good news is, a mid-range is pretty cheap. I think I spent around 700 a few years ago, and I was going for a little over mid-range.

Oh, good. Didn't mean to insult, but I wasn't sure - you named yourself noob, after all. :)
    well like

also

what is overclocking

overclocking is when you fiddle with a device to make it run at a faster speed than it does out of the box (usually also providing more power in the process). This makes it generate a lot more heat and can cause all kinds of problems (up to and including melting) if you don't have enough cooling. Or if you just happened to get the wrong batch of part (since it is running outside the safe design specs).

the first computer CPU I ever saw with a fan (as opposed to just a heat sink) was a Cyrix "firestarter" 166. Those things were crazy. Back then there were no emergency systems to shut down if the temp got too high or the fan failed. So if your fan stopped working the first you'd know it is the smell of burning plastic.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Oh, you just need a new video card? Well I'll say this much about that:

Stay away from ATI/AMD. Seriously, if you want to game, STAY AWAY. I have had more problems with those video cards than a little. Usually if there's one particular bug that makes a game crash consistently, it "only happens on ATI/AMD cards" and you have to wait for a patch.

Also when it comes to NVIDIA cards, I have had terrible luck with XFX. I bought a couple of XFX cards because they are cheaper, and those cards are among the few video cards I ever had that failed. I generally get EVGA cards.

cool good to know, thanks

SIG, I am going to counter this and say I have had more problems with the computer than ran nvidia than I have had in my time with ATI cards. I am currently on ATI card 5 or 6 in a row through different upgrades and computer builds. And have only had one problem with an actual bad/blown out card in the over 12+ years of using them.

Basically it all comes down to luck with your video cards. Some people swear by nvidia and others by ati. And both companies go through different rotations on who is faster/more stable ever year or so.

Well when I say problems, I don't mean with the video card working on my computer. I mean a game comes out, and I can't play it right away because there's an issue that only happens with ATI cards. This didn't happen with just one game; it seemed to happen with every single game that came out. Some obscure glitch that would only happen with ATI. If you're not doing any gaming with it, you would probably never would have noticed a problem with ATI.

Basically with video cards it is best to YMMV. Because I have never had this problem with my ATI cards and I do a lot of gaming.

In fact my last three pcs I have had were for gaming. 1 had an nvidia where I had issues like you are describing the other two had ati cards which I had no problem gaming. There are issues with most cards if you read through all the patch notes that come out. But saying X is always bad because of your experience will be countered by others anecdotal experience. Best to do your research and find the card that matches the price you are looking for with good reviews.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Man why do you stupid pacific people have to do thongs so late

fuck gendered marketing
    I do thongs whenever.

gorillaSig.jpg
    yo someone gimme some music

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I asked a girl out and she said yes. HIGH FIVES EVERYONE I'M WINNING AT LIFE.

What? This happens?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    btw the Bieber video for Boyfriend is awful awful

bad choreo and costuming

Lady Gaga should direct his videos

the best thing is summer in the pacific northwest.

it stays light until 11 PM but the sun drops behind the Olympic mountains way before that. So you get like 3 hours of twilight.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    yo someone gimme some music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_15bcZTq8

u7stthr17eud.png
    mazzy I tapped out on Foo FIghters years ago

can't do it

too much overplay

I want a fucking Kia to fall on Blake Griffins head

fuck gendered marketing
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i am basically garbage on legs

i think i'm done being a burden

he'd just roller skate away real fast

NICE TRY ELLDREN

you are not garbage, Cass

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Full pension at 26. 30 weeks paid vacation. Christ.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    damnit none of the things I'm searching for seem to be in youtube.

ah well this will do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1piLRStP7xE

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited May 2012

Have I ever told you I like reading your writing? I don't think I ever said that before.

I like reading your writing!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    mazzy I tapped out on Foo FIghters years ago

can't do it

too much overplay

I have been down lately. They are one of the bands I listen to when I am feeling depressed. How about this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ichCCegTbnA

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's past midnight and this game is still on damnit

fuck gendered marketing

he'd just roller skate away real fast

NICE TRY ELLDREN

Nah he'd dive out of the way and pretend he got fouled

fuck gendered marketing
    It's past midnight and this game is still on damnit

shit I better turn it back on

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I do thongs whenever.
    Thomamelas wrote: »

not explode

well like

also

what is overclocking

the first computer CPU I ever saw with a fan (as opposed to just a heat sink) was a Cyrix "firestarter" 166. Those things were crazy. Back then there were no emergency systems to shut down if the temp got too high or the fan failed. So if your fan stopped working the first you'd know it is the smell of burning plastic.

I had a friend who got one from a shady guy. We installed it and did a burn in test. We came back 10 mins later and it killed the motherboard.

And Endless Space isn't clicking for me. Ship design isn't interesting me. Frankly that part has less depth then SotS. The combat camera seems to want to watch the boring bits. Not the exploding ship bits. Planetary micro is a bit more interesting.

Also never listen to VAST when depressed. But still love the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9BMAbiOfc

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    garrusowns.png

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Another blown save by the Tigers bullpen. Le sigh.

Cass you aren't garbage or a burden.

FUCK YOU MO WILLIAMS

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.