As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Forumer Beer Steins - SOLD OUT

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I prefer the stein, especially for SchlitzKreig. Though, if there is enough interest would it be feasible to offer both a stein and pint glass?

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I thought about it, but since this is the first time this is being done I'd rather keep it simple and just deal with a single item.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Definitely in for at least one! Seattle-area event pickup should work, otherwise shipped.

NSw0gum.png
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    I want 2 of these. :) I can pick them up during PAX, whenever/wherever they are available.

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    My suggestion is to be really careful when setting up your billing for this. It's a real headache and potentially a killer to your finances. With the last community coin I minded my Ps and Qs so I didn't get into any trouble, but it is VERY difficult to pay for production, invoice, collect money, and ship these products. Half the reason I had to work so hard on the last coin was because of the first supplier having problems, the other half was making sure I didn't get my funds frozen by Paypal and Wepay. Talk to your vendor and find out exactly what needs to be paid and when. Get estimates on production times. Get pictures of a sample ASAP. Try very hard to not get reviewed by your billing option. If necessary, call them on the phone and find out what they require from you to receive money without them locking you out.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
    edited May 2012
    @karmacappa - all good advice from someone who's been through it before. Thank you.

LexiconGrrl on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    In.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • ThirmuriThirmuri CalgaryRegistered User regular
    In for 1, probably with shipping

• HackworthHackworth IssaquahRegistered User regular
    I too will definitely be in for 2 of whatever ends up getting picked and i can pick em up or something...

• cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i'm in for one!
    i can meet up during pax to pick it up!

cedelacruz on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Talked with the wife, should be in for 2.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Voted for Glass Stein

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    BigRed wrote: »
    Voted for Glass Stein

Shame I went for Ceramic (I have lots of glass steins ;) )

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just hope a split vote on glass vs ceramic stein doesn't end up making pint the winner :(

zerzhul wrote: »
    I just hope a split vote on glass vs ceramic stein doesn't end up making pint the winner :(

Ohz, you're right. We probably should have had a run off! Oops, maybe I should be sorry I suggested a different Stein in the first place!

A split vote will result in a massive order of plastic keg cups with Avery stickers on them that say "PACKS".

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    A split vote will result in a massive order of plastic keg cups with Avery stickers on them that say "PACKS".

Why does that make me want to "fix" the vote to split evenly?

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    In for 2! I can do a Seattle-area pick up as well. :)

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I've voted for Stein.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular

Love it!

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular

Can we put the wrong year on it too?

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I'd be down for one, but I can't make Prime. :( Prob would have to have it shipped to the boston area.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I really like the ceramic stein. Although I'm easy, I'd be happy with anything. I'd probably try to pick it up at some PAX event.

East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl, how long do you plan to keep the voting open? hehe I am excited to see the results. :mrgreen:

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    @LexiconGrrl, how long do you plan to keep the voting open? hehe I am excited to see the results. :mrgreen:

Once we have the graphic nailed down and are ready to contact the vendor about a sample, I'll close down the voting. Until then, everyone can get a chance to weigh in - some folks only check the forums every couple weeks. Those folks have a far more interesting life than I do.

@Yamara is working with the vendor on the graphic now: it's pretty complex so there are some issues to figure out. It's hard to say how long it will take, but she does amazing work and we'll know as soon as she does.

Once we have the graphic nailed down and are ready to contact the vendor about a sample, I'll close down the voting. Until then, everyone can get a chance to weigh in - some folks only check the forums every couple weeks. Those folks have a far more interesting life than I do.

@Yamara is working with the vendor on the graphic now: it's pretty complex so there are some issues to figure out. It's hard to say how long it will take, but she does amazing work and we'll know as soon as she does.

Any Exit polling data? So I know if I need to ....erg...recruit friends to vote ;).

tsrblke wrote: »
    Any Exit polling data? So I know if I need to ....erg...recruit friends to vote ;).

I'm on to your shenanigans. So... no.

edited May 2012
    Op has been edited with a clarification on how ordering will work, plus an update on potential shipping costs.

ORDERING
    WePay will be used to process payments. It's worked well in the past with the Prank and Challenge coins. However, WePay does not allow pre-orders to be processed through their site so the steins need to be physically available before payments can be accepted. This means that I will be fronting the cost of the order, then selling them to the community at the pricing detailed in the OP.

Ordering will open up to the forum community sometime in mid-July.

SHIPPING
    Glass is heavy and costly to ship. It's also being shipped twice: once from the vendor to me, and once from me to you. I'm happy to put whatever personal effort is needed into this to bring costs down, but we've still got base costs to contend with. In person Pick up is highly recommended for anyone coming to Prime or in the Seattle area.

The price to ship from the vendor works out to around $1.75 per stein.
    The price to ship from me to you depends on where you live. Here's the breakdown of options for a single-stein order:

USPS Parcel Post: $5 (Local) to $10 (Cross Country) shipping plus $0.50 for box + approx $1 for packing materials. No Pkg tracking available. 1-2 Weeks delivery
    USPS Priority Mail Medium Box: $10.35 flat rate shipping, plus approx $1 for packing materials. Package tracking and delivery confirmation included. 1-3 days delivery.

Other options like UPS, FedEx, etc... are more expensive than USPS.

QUESTIONS
    What do you guys think of the shipping issue? Is the price a big deal?
    Does anyone have a line on a cheaper shipping option? Like a discounted business account that they own (please don't volunteer your boss's account without his/her knowledge) that we could use.
    If it's cheaper to send a batch of steins instead of individual ones, is there any interest in partnering up for single shipments to common areas?
    Any other comments or ideas?
    If anyone who attends East wanted to do this again for East next year, allowing folks to pick up there, that could happen.

LexiconGrrl on
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    USPS Parcel Post: $5 (Local) to $10 (Cross Country) shipping plus $0.50 for box + approx $1 for packing materials. No Pkg tracking available. 1-2 Weeks delivery
    USPS Priority Mail Medium Box: $10.35 flat rate shipping, plus approx $1 for packing materials. Package tracking and delivery confirmation included. 1-3 days delivery.

I am fine with paying for USPS shipping. For us trying to carry glass items like this back on a plane.... bad juju.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I am fine with paying for USPS shipping. For us trying to carry glass items like this back on a plane.... bad juju.

Yeah, that's sorta my thing too... not sure I want to fly with glass unless it's packed really tightly in some serious padding.

• bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm in for one! I can pick it up at PAX! :)

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »

Yeah, that's sorta my thing too... not sure I want to fly with glass unless it's packed really tightly in some serious padding.

I flex back with my coveted Ravenclaw stein last year wrapped up in layers upon layers of clothes in my carry-on. I was worried about the shaped raven on the handle but it made it home without a chip. I figure a solid glass skein will be fine.. Whether or not I'll have the space, though, that's the real question.

Tar3820 on
    PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    @Tar3820 - do you know where you guys got the custom glass steins from?

• Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

It was just one stein for the charity auction.. They ordered if from the Harry Potter store, it wasn't custom for PAX.. but it's still AWESOME! (And all mine :D)

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    Tar3820 wrote: »

It was just one stein for the charity auction.. They ordered if from the Harry Potter store, it wasn't custom for PAX.. but it's still AWESOME! (And all mine :D)

Darn. :(

Still looking for some way to get a D20 on the bottom of the glass. Current vendor is screamin' cheap but doesn't do bottom etching or custom sport bottoms...

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    With USPS, you'll want to insure the packages since they contain fragile objects. This bumps up the prices as insurance costs extra ($1.85). With the amount of beating that USPS parcels take, I'd say insurance is required.

You may want to check with FedEx and UPS for shipping quotes when you have your specifics (size, weight, and number of parcels). It is possible that UPS or FedEx will give you a good quote on shipping if they know you're going to be doing a big run of shipping at once. UPS shipping is automatically insured up to $100 (declared value), so you should factor that into the shipping cost. I'm not sure what FedEx does, but it seems very similar to UPS.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
    Tar3820 wrote: »

Darn. :(

Still looking for some way to get a D20 on the bottom of the glass. Current vendor is screamin' cheap but doesn't do bottom etching or custom sport bottoms...

You've been PM'd re: This.
    FWIW, as cost ineffective as the Priorty mail is, at least it would give you a static amount to add to shipping so you don't have to calc it on a per person basis.

karmacappa wrote: »
    With USPS, you'll want to insure the packages since they contain fragile objects. This bumps up the prices as insurance costs extra ($1.85). With the amount of beating that USPS parcels take, I'd say insurance is required.

You may want to check with FedEx and UPS for shipping quotes when you have your specifics (size, weight, and number of parcels). It is possible that UPS or FedEx will give you a good quote on shipping if they know you're going to be doing a big run of shipping at once. UPS shipping is automatically insured up to $100 (declared value), so you should factor that into the shipping cost. I'm not sure what FedEx does, but it seems very similar to UPS.

Totally agree about insurance, but it's up to individuals if they want it so it's going to be an optional adder. Folks can choose it or not as they like.

I'm currently in discussions with a local mail service (who gets better rates with UPS and FedEx) to see if there's anything we can do about pricing but so far, other options are generally higher by a minimum of $5 (sometimes more) than USPS for boxes this size and weight.

• CapeguyCapeguy New WestminsterRegistered User regular
    Sign me down for one, prefer ceramic but extremely flexible. Would prefer to pick it up at PAX.

tsrblke wrote: »
    FWIW, as cost ineffective as the Priorty mail is, at least it would give you a static amount to add to shipping so you don't have to calc it on a per person basis.

Yeah, that's why it's there as an option; it's certainly more convenient for me. It's also faster, I can easily include it on to the WePay site, the post office will deliver the boxes and labels to my house for free, and package tracking is available.

That said, keep in mind that quite a few folks are ordering multiple mugs and once you put 2 -4 mugs into a single box, parcel post becomes significantly cheaper. For anyone ordering in the local area, parcel post is around half the cost of Priority Mail even for a single stein.

But I also support in-person pickups. It keeps the great low price of the steins both great and low. It's also less effort for me to load a box of 10 steins into my car and drive to a LAN or a BBQ than it is to wrap, pack and ship 10 steins to folks in the same city as me.

I think at the end of the day, wherever I can trade my time for your money so that more people can participate is an OK trade.

This discussion has been closed.