Options

Okami director disappointed: TP vs. WW-- Fight!

13»

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mantidor wrote: »
    I think the only problem in TP graphically/style - wise was this huge but completely barren overworld, it was just absolutely boring and made too much of a contrast against the incredibly detailed characters and dungeons, scenes like the first fight with a darknut in that stained glass room was just amazing, but you then get in your horse and ride in this forever green plains. WW managed to pull that of much more nicely, even if the ocean was larger, it didn't feel as boring. Maybe just a tiny detail as some waves makes all the difference, I don't know, but I really didn't like TP overworld at all.

And why are some people saying the animations in TP weren't great? they were superb, Midna alone blows away any character I've seen in any video game.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The overworld was just too boring. The rest looked awesome.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i wasnt a fan of TP's graphics at all, but only because i dont think they even tried to optimise it for the wii. muddled colors, jaggies everywhere, very low polys on practically every model...

i was just really let down by the final product.

Miyamoto insisted that his underlings not waste time improving TP's graphics, and instead concentrate on getting the Wii controls right.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Miyamoto insisted that his underlings not waste time improving TP's graphics, and instead concentrate on getting the Wii controls right.

Good call. You can overlook the graphics, but you can't overlook the controls.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i wasnt a fan of TP's graphics at all, but only because i dont think they even tried to optimise it for the wii. muddled colors, jaggies everywhere, very low polys on practically every model...

i was just really let down by the final product.

and apparently that meant forgoing any sort of basic option to map your attack to a much more responsive button press.

i dunno, i expected more out of it than a bare bones gc port with better aiming and worse combat mechanics. had i played the cube version instead, idve probably been alot more impressed. but even then, graphically, the cube has some much better looking games that are years older than TP. for one of nintendos flagship series, they REALLY seemed to half-ass it.

and the longevity of the game, too..."biggest, longest zelda game ever! with 4 times the backtracking!"

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Twilight Princess' character designs were strong and certain areas had a pleasant style, but the overall art direction was boring as hell and most of the environments were extremely bland and disappointing from a technical perspective. I consider Resident Evil 4 to be the pinnacle of environmental graphics from a technical and artistic (for realistic styles) perspective, and Twilight Princess' lifeless landscapes with single-digit polygon terrain features were just pathetic when compared to it.

Wind Waker was a gorgeous game, as inspired by similarly beautiful cel-shaded games that came before it as Okami was with it, but the dude is 110% spot-on with his criticisms of Twilight Princess.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I'm not really seeing it; outside of the actual Overworld areas seperating the provinces, most of the areas in TP are very, very nice, in my eyes. The fishing hole stands out, as does the vibe I get from the castle town. The models are mostly great, but some of the limitations come from the game getting caught between two generations, no big deal.

The criticisms I REALLY don't understand are the ones that say "the controls aren't intuitive", but that's a different thread.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BlackDog85 wrote: »
    I guess I'm not really seeing it; outside of the actual Overworld areas seperating the provinces, most of the areas in TP are very, very nice, in my eyes. The fishing hole stands out, as does the vibe I get from the castle town. The models are mostly great, but some of the limitations come from the game getting caught between two generations, no big deal.

The criticisms I REALLY don't understand are the ones that say "the controls aren't intuitive", but that's a different thread.

At least for me, it's not that aren't intuitive; it's that they aren't the most effective way of doing things. Motion control works great for aiming the bow / slingshot / boomerang / probably some other stuff I haven't gotten yet, but the gestures for offensive maneuvers don't feel right. Especially when they're not all gestures. The finishing move is just "Z target, then hit A." Why then, can't I choose to map the standard slash to A instead of a gesture?

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but button presses feel more precise to me, and I want precision in my fights. I don't want Link to not do a spin attack because I didn't get the gesture right. I want him to fucking do a spin attack every time I want him to do one.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guess I just haven't had issues with it, outside of occassionally doing an accidental spin attack instead of shield attack. I'm actually getting really fast with it, and I'm barely halfway through the game.

And, again, about the art: I'm much more concerned about whether or not a game's graphics can actually communicate what the game wants it to express, over whether or not it's "too muddy" or whatever. Again, while some parts of Hyrule Field are, indeed, too barren, the majority of the time I feel the game succeeds very well in this regard.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    mantidor wrote: »
    I think the only problem in TP graphically/style - wise was this huge but completely barren overworld, it was just absolutely boring and made too much of a contrast against the incredibly detailed characters and dungeons, scenes like the first fight with a darknut in that stained glass room was just amazing, but you then get in your horse and ride in this forever green plains. WW managed to pull that of much more nicely, even if the ocean was larger, it didn't feel as boring. Maybe just a tiny detail as some waves makes all the difference, I don't know, but I really didn't like TP overworld at all.

And why are some people saying the animations in TP weren't great? they were superb, Midna alone blows away any character I've seen in any video game.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The overworld was just too boring. The rest looked awesome.
    Wind Waker's overworld was boring for me. It was fun to explore the ocean, but when you went to explore most of the islands, they would be empty and boring. TP's overworld had lots of enemies, caves, and it was fun to explore. The only knock against TP in the overworld(and in WW too) is there wasn't anything worth finding in the secret places. Link to the Past had cool stuff like the Ice Rod and the Magic Cape. WW and TP just had rupees and heart pieces, and you don't even need many heart pieces in either game.

Dominic Dragon on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think that TP's character models and attention to detail are really the pinnacle of the series so far. Link looks fantastic and I can't think of a recent videogame character as cool as Midna. I just have two problems with the visuals which seems to be quite common; it's a bit too "muddy" for my liking and greater Hyrule is very uninspiring. Going back and playing OoT made me realise how much more I like that version of Hyrule even though it is quite dated now. Kakariko village is the best example I can think of. In LTTP and OoT it's a nice pretty little village, and in TP it's a barren ghost town with boarded up windows.

Those are the stylistic choices they made for this game and at least it's consistent. One thing about Zelda though is that I'm sure we'll be seeing something different next time, for better or worse.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »

A game that looked like that would be pretty cool looking.

defcon2.jpg

Tiemler on