As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sexy alien babes, is that not what man dreamed of when he first looked up at the stars.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't wait for this game!

Zenitram on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My most anticipated title of this year. Period.

Game just keeps looking better every time I see it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Sexy alien babes, is that not what man dreamed of when he first looked up at the stars.

"Kif, I'm asking you a serious question!"

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm buying a 360. For this game. I don't give a shit about Halo 3 or GTA4 or whatever. This game alone is selling me on the 360. Fucking Bioware and their 360 only releases. I'm not going to wait 2 years for this to get ported to the PC, I tried that with Jade Empire and look where it got me. So, in closing, SOLD.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Plus.

There are at least 2 more Mass Effect games on the way.

Unlike Advent Rising, they are already building assets for the sequels as they run on the same engine. In between releases we get a smattering of DLC which should be nice.

Man, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3 and GTA4 all in the space of a few months is just plain ridiculous. Any one of those games is GOTY contender no doubt, and thats from pure hype alone.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Ondrae OciousOndrae Ocious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I can't decide which shot to use as my new background....... :P

I grabbed the running robots with the bright eyes.

Ondrae Ocious on
    Life is a ____, depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Plus.

There are at least 2 more Mass Effect games on the way.

Unlike Advent Rising, they are already building assets for the sequels as they run on the same engine. In between releases we get a smattering of DLC which should be nice.

Man, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3 and GTA4 all in the space of a few months is just plain ridiculous. Any one of those games is GOTY contender no doubt, and thats from pure hype alone.

Plus Forza 2, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey. And those are only the games I consider to be potentially AAA, there's a handful of others too.

bruin on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi everybody, my name is Fiaryn and I'm addicted to Bioware games. Every time they release something, an overpowering NEED consumes me and after the initial black out I wake up home alone amidst the entrails of retail workers with bioware game in hand.

THIS GAME IS NOT GETTING HERE FAST ENOUGH!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know, before I got my 360, I had filed this game under "Meh." BioWare RPGs are never bad, but they tend to be rather shallow in their writing. Most of their attempts at drama usually don't work out too well and while their stories are never actually the same, they've all been vastly similar with the exception of BG2, but I imagine that's only because the twist already came and went in the previous game. At first, I also didn't know you could change your character's appearance at all. I thought it was a further devolution from Jade Empire, as Jade Empire was from KOTOR and KOTOR was from BG2 (with custom portraits, I can look like anything!).

But now that I have a 360, I want this game so bad. I even sometimes feel a little depressed when I realize that it's at least a couple months away, though I'll never truly give up hope of a April release until April has gone. I don't know if I can put into words how much I want this game. I'm not even sure why this change occurred. I just want it so bad.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love my 360.

It's almost ... unnatural.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    You know, before I got my 360, I had filed this game under "Meh." BioWare RPGs are never bad, but they tend to be rather shallow in their writing ----

Instant fail.

Go play Baldur's Gate right now.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You know, before I got my 360, I had filed this game under "Meh." BioWare RPGs are never bad, but they tend to be rather shallow in their writing ----

Instant fail.

Go play Baldur's Gate right now.

My BG2 disc 2 hasn't left my drive in about five years now. I made a pretty big BG2 thread a couple months ago. I think I might have liked BG2. That doesn't discount the rest of what I said about their writing. I'd say that BG2 is an oddity in BioWare's library.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And BG1, and Kotor, and NWN and, heck, to an extent Jade Empire. Im pretty sure most people would agree the writing is the one thing that has been consistently good throughout all BioWare games, even if the gameplay/action/graphics have faltered on occasion.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    And BG1, and Kotor, and NWN and, heck, to an extent Jade Empire. Im pretty sure most people would agree the writing is the one thing that has been consistently good throughout all BioWare games, even if the gameplay/action/graphics have faltered on occasion.

Compared to what you see in most games? Yes. But just let me quote my one of my previous posts.
    Most of their attempts at drama usually don't work out too well and while their stories are never actually the same, they've all been vastly similar with the exception of BG2, but I imagine that's only because the twist already came and went in the previous game.

EDIT: And I'm done with this. I'm tired of arguing with people on this forum about writing. It never goes anywhere.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So what are the odds that this actually will come out around May or June

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Delays are usually announced at least 3 months ahead of the scheduled release, usually 6 months or more. We're in March, so I doubt there'll be any significant delay for Mass Effect, and if there is one, it won't be a very long one. If there were any serious problems pushing the game back, we'd have heard about it by now.

Also..... Mass Effect + Bioshock = no need for actual human contact until 2008, maybe 2009.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

Delays are usually announced at least 3 months ahead of the scheduled release, usually 6 months or more. We're in March, so I doubt there'll be any significant delay for Mass Effect, and if there is one, it won't be a very long one. If there were any serious problems pushing the game back, we'd have heard about it by now.

Also..... Mass Effect + Bioshock = no need for actual human contact until 2008, maybe 2009.

Yeah, but the thing is there hasn't been any definite release date scheduled, as far as I know, so the three month rule or whatever doesn't really apply in this case

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm so Tom Cruise near the end of Minority Report
    The part when he's chasing his eyeball around the floor (great scene)

Great Screens, Geeze...

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mekman 2 wrote: »

Great Screens, Geeze...

/obligatory: http://hobocruisekart.ytmnd.com/

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    mekman 2 wrote: »

Great Screens, Geeze...

/obligatory: http://hobocruisekart.ytmnd.com/

Hilarious

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah, but the thing is there hasn't been any definite release date scheduled, as far as I know, so the three month rule or whatever doesn't really apply in this case

I really don't think it'll be delayed any more. It was originally set for late 2006, then "this winter", now the next couple months? I'll buy it this time.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I really don't think it'll be delayed any more. It was originally set for late 2006, then "this winter", now the next couple months? I'll buy it this time.

I still like this quote...
    Bob McCabe wrote:
    We at BioWare do not know the exact date of release yet ... I prefer to be conservative in my guessing. If I were a fan, and not an employee of BioWare who gets to look at the schedule, I'd probably like the sound of March & April.

It's probably not going to become a reality, but... but I want it to be.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The funny thing is that those screens are very hot, but they don't serve the game justice. I just watched a video and was just fucking blown away.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

May is everyone's guess, what with the accidentally-leaked-australian-xbox-date thing and all.

And Pancake: I actually agree with you, their writing on average feels a lot more shallow than, say, Planescape: Torment, or even KotOR 2. But I honestly think they're trying hard with this one. We'll see.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know, before I got my 360, I had filed this game under "Meh." BioWare RPGs are never bad, but they tend to be rather shallow in their writing. Most of their attempts at drama usually don't work out too well and while their stories are never actually the same, they've all been vastly similar with the exception of BG2, but I imagine that's only because the twist already came and went in the previous game. At first, I also didn't know you could change your character's appearance at all. I thought it was a further devolution from Jade Empire, as Jade Empire was from KOTOR and KOTOR was from BG2 (with custom portraits, I can look like anything!).

But now that I have a 360, I want this game so bad. I even sometimes feel a little depressed when I realize that it's at least a couple months away, though I'll never truly give up hope of a April release until April has gone. I don't know if I can put into words how much I want this game. I'm not even sure why this change occurred. I just want it so bad.

i'm kinda similar (although without the history of BioWare's work). I wasn't all that interested in this when i first heard of it. It looked nice, but i didn't want to just be playing a reskinned KOTOR, which was my initial impression. Since seeing stuff like the video demonstrating the conversation mechanics and hell, even the presentation of the in-game map, my interest has been growing steadily. I'm now really keen to see what they do with a space-based RPG and their own IP, as opposed to Star Wars.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'd have to admit I wasn't exactly blown away at first either. It originally came across as some generic sci-fi project on a console I didn't own- but my interest rocketed with every interview and movie they released.

As said, it being their own intellectual property more or less guarantees galaxy-shattering plot points. No worries about high-ups complaining about liberties with the canon! No fanboys complaining about the same thing!

I do hope this appears on PC in the fullness of time, though. I reckon Dragon Age should be an awesome franchise, but I likes me some sci-fi!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No doubt there will be a PC version. Eventually. Its Unreal Engine 3, very very easy to port. Just like Gears I reckon they probably have a PC version already running somewhere but certification, testing and compatibility has not been done at all.

Give it 2 years maybe for a PC version. I have no doubt it will come eventually. All BioWare games are on PC.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No doubt there will be a PC version. Eventually. Its Unreal Engine 3, very very easy to port. Just like Gears I reckon they probably have a PC version already running somewhere but certification, testing and compatibility has not been done at all.

Give it 2 years maybe for a PC version. I have no doubt it will come eventually. All BioWare games are on PC.

Except, of course that this is their 360 IP, relying heavily on downloadable content. Their PC game is Dragon Age. That's how they've cut it up. I don't think you'll see it on PC, because much of their business model for this trilogy revolves around DLC episodes between games.

In just the same way, I doubt you'll see Dragon Age on 360.

Maybe when the trilogy's finished there'll be something for the PC, but before? I doubt it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    People said exactly the same thing about Jade Empire.

or Halo 2.

or a dozen console games every year that get ported to the PC.

Unless Bioware hate money, which I assume they dont, it will come to PC. I dont mind, Ill get the 360 version, but to say 'this is their 360 IP' is ridiculous. PC can do downloadable content better than 360, DLC is not exclusive to 360. Oblivion showed that DLC for the PC can and will be done.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    He's basing that off official interviews: Bioware have strongly implied that Dragon Age and Mass Effect are intended to stick to their original platforms. Whether they follow that sentiment is another story, and I hope they end up contradicting themselves, but since they're so adamant- and because Jade Empire had no PC-only counterpart when it got flung at Steam- I'm keeping open minded.

But hey, maybe they'll give the 360 Dragon Age so the PC can get Mass Effect. It's like hostage negotiation...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't really doubt that it'll come to PC; just, like I said, I don't think it will until the trilogy's done. We'll see.

edit: SEND IN JACK BAUER

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah. If this trilogy aspect is played up heavily in the game, and the DLC comes thick and fast, I wont expect a PC version till its done, which could be 3-4 years depending on how quick the monolithic games come out and how big the DLC is. Which will be roughly at the end of the 360 lifespan.

Just never write something off as being exclusive. Nothing is exclusive. I mean if you had wanted to name the main Playstation esclusive a year or so ago it would have been GTA, now thats coming to 360. Companies in the games industry like money and porting games is one way to make a quick buck. Jade Empire has been out for ages, and probably doesnt sell at all these days. Whack it on Steam and you could sell another 100-200k copies for practically no work.

Same with Mass Effect. Especially as it is running on the U3 engine. I dont doubt a PC version is inevitable, it'll will just be ages no doubt. We're talking many years here, not cause its hard to port, just for business strategy.

That said, it might never come, I mean console gaming is taking off now like never before, and PCs are becoming 'console-ified' in a way. Still, its not that Im waiting for a PC version, Ill be there day one at the 360 release buying my 360 copy, but saying it will never come at all is silly.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yup.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yarp.

I'm actually tempted- not likely to cave in, but I am tempted- to get a 360 for Mass Effect. That's Bioware's projects for you.

Always making me buy stuff.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Yarp.

I'm actually tempted- not likely to cave in, but I am tempted- to get a 360 for Mass Effect. That's Bioware's projects for you.

Always making me buy stuff.

and BioShock. And Fable 2!
    do it, Michael. For the greater good.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's worth pointing out that the guys in that top screenie are not the guys that come round and wipe civilisation out every 50,000 years - the guys in the screenshot are the Geth, who are another AI race.

They still really like to shoot you, though.

How do we know that the race of robots that wipe out civilization every 50,000 actually exists? What if there isn't a single race of machines? What if every 50,000 years, an organic race advances to the point where they create an artificial machine race that wipes everyone out, and that is the actual prophecy?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that the guys in that top screenie are not the guys that come round and wipe civilisation out every 50,000 years - the guys in the screenshot are the Geth, who are another AI race.

They still really like to shoot you, though.

How do we know that the race of robots that wipe out civilization every 50,000 actually exists? What if there isn't a single race of machines? What if every 50,000 years, an organic race advances to the point where they create an artificial machine race that wipes everyone out, and that is the actual prophecy?

That would be really freaking cool and an intelligent move on the part of the writers. The Geth were created as a slave race that rebelled and are now hostile to everyone organic, which sounds like the start of something similar... Again, we'll see, I guess. But I don't think you'll see the Reavers (that's what they were referred to early in development in interviews and things) at all in the first game - the first game is about Saren, the rogue agent dude in my avatar, who from screenshots seems to have allied himself with the Geth.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    MrDeadManMrDeadMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Have they yet shown what the cover art is going to look like? I really hope they do some nice minimalistic artwork, and not just have a picture of Angsty McBroody slapped on it.

MrDeadMan on
This discussion has been closed.