Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    How could the machines destroy all intelligent life every 50,000 years? It take millions of years for a species to evolve.
    So? Why can't there be sentient creatures in the Mass Effect universe right now that wasn't sentient 50.000 years ago?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How could the machines destroy all intelligent life every 50,000 years? It take millions of years for a species to evolve.

WHAT A TW...

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So? Why can't there be sentient creatures in the Mass Effect universe right now that wasn't sentient 50.000 years ago?

It would take longer than that to gain evolve a brain intelligent enough to create a civilization.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They only hit the ones with civilizations advanced enough to be pumping radio waves into space.

More than anything, it's a logistical issue. The machines, powerful as they may be, probably don't have the ability to survey every single planet around all the stars in the Milky Way just to look for creatures that have some arbitrary level of intelligence. Musch simpler to park out in space somewhere and listen for signals.

Here is a quote from Chris L'Etoile, one of the writers:
    Chris wrote:
    Given the breadth of environments in which we find Earthly life, it would not be unreasonable to assume life is fairly common in the galaxy. Intelligent life is a much less certain proposition.

If I were hypothetically looking to wipe out intelligent civilizations (for whatever criterion), I wouldn't "manually" check every planet in ~400 billion solar systems for life. I'd stop every 100 light years and listen for signals. If I hear someone, I get Fermi Paradox on them.

Grid System on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It would take longer than that to gain evolve a brain intelligent enough to create a civilization.

Maybe they don't wipe out life, just knocked all the civilizations back to the stone age.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Maybe when they say civilization, they mean space fairing civilization.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Presumably the machine's idea of "intelligent life" just means space-faring. Hence mankind's ancestors were passed over and over again until LOL WE GOT SPACECRAFT.

After attacking Fable 2 and defending the storyline of this, a game I also know nothing about, the balance is restored.

EDIT: And four goddamn people say the same thing. Slow Ed is SLOOWWWWWWWW.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »

Maybe when they say civilization, they mean space fairing civilization.

What about extremely xenophobic yet highly advanced civilizations that refuse to leave their planet?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    RADIO WAVES GODDAMNIT

Grid System on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

How old is human civilization supposed to be?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    According to the official website, "The galaxy is trapped in an endless cycle of extinction. Every 50,000 years, an ancient machine race invades the galaxy. With ruthless efficiency, the machines wipe out all advanced organic civilization. They leave behind only the scattered ruins of technology, destroying all evidence of their own existence.

Few believe this ancient legend. You, however, know it to be true. The fight to stop this extinction event has become the most important mission in the galaxy."

I guess the phrase "advanced organic civilization" makes it possible though it leads to the question of whether the machine race is in danger of getting killed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    RADIO WAVES GODDAMNIT

Sorry, I didn't see yours when I hit post.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    S'alright. I got bottom paged something fierce.
    Titmouse wrote:
    ...though it leads to the question of whether the machine race is in danger of getting killed.
    Which machine race would that be?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    S'alright. I got bottom paged something fierce.
    Titmouse wrote:
    ...though it leads to the question of whether the machine race is in danger of getting killed.
    Which machine race would that be?

The Geth, the race that rebelled against their masters.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That'll be interesting to find out. Since they aren't organic they might be assimilated rather than harvested.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But what if the Geth don't want to be assimilated? Dun dun dunnnnnn....

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the Geth were not the same as the machine race.

The whole point being it was a race against time to prep things before the machines arrived. The Geth are already fucking shit up in the demos we have seen.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    I thought the Geth were not the same as the machine race.

They aren't. We went over that a little while back. We are just discussing what will happen to the Geth when the real mean machines show up.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Probably ignored. No way you can land and explore every single planet in the galaxy. They will have some huge long range scanners to detect things like atmosphere, radio waves etc.

That or you recruit the Geth towards the common enemy when the real machines show up. Maybe the Geth are the advance party, like the scouts or something.

Who knows. It all sounds glorious.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But what if the machines are only looking for organic matter to harvest and don't want to assimilate the Geth? This would lead to the Geth being the only force in the galaxy. I think they would like this.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But what if the machines are only looking for organic matter to harvest and don't want to assimilate the Geth? This would lead to the Geth being the only force in the galaxy. I think they would like this.

I won't let this stand *cocks shotgun*

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been ignoring all information on the story and characters in this game for a few months now. I think it'll make the game more interesting.

bruin on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a theory that Saren thinks the Geth are the only ones truly capable of stopping the machines, and so that's why he's helping them.

Either that, or he does it for the shiny red bodyguards.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, if the machines ignore the Geth, they may also ignore Saren as well. Seems like this would be a good backup plan.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm thinking Saren is going to be set up as a classy, sympathetic villian with an understandable goal.

But also a badass, yes indeed.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    According to this IGN preview,
    he shoots your mentor in the head.

Also.
    Space zombies! YES!

Grid System on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah. I was happy when I read that too, though a little annoyed at the spoiler. Oh well.

Saren will be awesome. The geth will be awesome. This game will be awesome.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yup.

I guess we can leave it at that.

Im already pegging it for my game of the year.

That and Halo 3 of course.

Or Portal.

Or Bioshock.

Or TF2.

Or Metroid Prime 3.

My god. This year is pretty insane for AAA titles. Last time we had a run like this was 2004.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wait. What if the twist is that this is actually a HL game? After HL1, the Gman sent Shephard to the game universe in order to take care of the problem. The portal isn't for machines to get through, it is for the Combine to get through. When Shephard got into the universe, people thought he said Shepherd.
    As we learn in the first cutscene, Shepard has suffered incredible trauma in his past, a mysterious event that has likely left "serious emotional scars."
    Can't we have a well adjusted protagonist for once?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait. What if the twist is that this is actually a HL game? After HL1, the Gman sent Shephard to the game universe in order to take care of the problem. The portal isn't for machines to get through, it is for the Combine to get through. When Shephard got into the universe, people thought he said Shepherd.
    As we learn in the first cutscene, Shepard has suffered incredible trauma in his past, a mysterious event that has likely left "serious emotional scars."

I know what all those words mean, but all together in a sentence like that its just moonspeak to me.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

.... what are you trying to say?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Does every Bioware RPG have to have a protagonist who is fucked up in some way?
    Baldur's Gate-you are the son of Bhaal and your mentor is killed
    Baldur's Gate II-you are tortured and have your soul removed at one point
    KOTOR-amnesia plus being you know who
    Jade Empire-your village is destroyed

Couscous on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

What other motivations can you think of that would apply to all spectrums of characters (Good, Evil, etc.) other than "Someone fucked me over, they need to be shown a lesson."

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a guy just chillin

smoking a blunt

saves the universe

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »

What other motivations can you think of that would apply to all spectrums of characters (Good, Evil, etc.) other than "Someone fucked me over, they need to be shown a lesson."
    Profit? Good-I will help these people out while getting money. Evil-I will kill these people so I can get a lot of money.

Couscous on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "I want to save the galaxy, pretty much because I have nothing better to do this week and I'm a swell guy who had a happy upbringing."

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Profit? Good-I will help these people out while getting money. Evil-I will kill these people so I can get a lot of money.
    Won't work, doesn't apply to druids, jedi, and monks.

Think of something else that will get middle america off their tractors.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You are part of a farming society whose crops have failed. You decide that it would benefit both you and your family to seek your fortune elsewhere. If you are a monk, you can seek your poverty or something.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Global reliance on a non-renewable resource on which virtually all economic life is predicated has shrunk stores of said resource to NEXT TO NOTHING. Only one country can control it -- and thus SURVIVE.

I am of course talking about...blueberry yogurt.

TO THE YOGURT MINES!

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You are part of a farming society whose crops have failed. You decide that it would benefit both you and your family to seek your fortune elsewhere. If you are a monk, you can seek your poverty or something.
    That's a fine story for a Harvest Moon Game, not SUPER FANTASY QUEST XXVI, try again.

Also, that counts as the character getting fucked over.

Der Waffle Mous on
This discussion has been closed.