As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC won't play sound through my TV unless I unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
Just what the title says. The only thing of note is that it started immediately after my AMD Catalyst Control Center updated. Any ideas how to fix this?

Magic Pink on

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Rollback the AMD catalyst control center?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm not totally sure that's the problem tho. The AMD site itself says it's my HDMI cable but then why does it work fine if I unplug and reconnect? And what happens if I roll it back (assuming I figure out how to do that)? Do I just never update it again?

Looks like it's a known issue and you have to uninstall the current center and then install some 12.4 version. Let's hope it works.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Oh hey I've been having this same issue but didn't piece together that it was because of recent AMD drivers

thanks

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Heads up, I replaced the Catalyst Control Center and the new version effectively deleted my user account on the PC. I had to restore the system to a restore point, then I uninstalled that piece of shit program and now everything works fine.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    whoa
    that's very bad. Very worrying.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It appears that Realtek is providing the ATI HDMI sound driver. So if you or somebody else has problems, maybe you can reinstall / download the driver from their download site

Dratatoo on
    edited May 2012
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    It appears that Realtek is providing the ATI HDMI sound driver. So if you or somebody else has problems, maybe you can reibstall the driver their download site

This worked for me. Thanks!

edit: spoke to soon, still messed up after a restart

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    edited May 2012
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    It appears that Realtek is providing the ATI HDMI sound driver. So if you or somebody else has problems, maybe you can reibstall the driver their download site

This worked for me. Thanks!

edit: spoke to soon, still messed up after a restart

works if the tv is on before starting the pc, doesn't if i turn it off after. I guess i'll just remember to turn the tv on first

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Maybe Windows defaults back to the internal soundcard or -chip, if the TV isn't on during boot. Check if Realtek HDMI Output (ATI HDMI Audio) is selected in the sound settings of the control panel.

Yeah, it's still a problem for me too. It's not a big one tho so I'm ignoring it. I'll try the turn-on-the-tv-first trick.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    I have the same issue on a pair of GTX 460's, except I have them going through an AV receiver to a projector. If the receiver is off when I power on the computer I have to reboot the PC. Maybe some problem with the HDMI standard and PCs?