Options

Keep Calm...

KarbaccaKarbacca Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner
I know this has been a possibly over done thing from the "Keep Calm and Move Along" poster. But this one just popped in my head the other day and I had to share it with you guys.
keepcalmsmall.jpg

bannerqsl.jpg
Karbacca on

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    okay, 48 views and no comments, so I will have to do the civil thing and spew my opinions all over the place.

Firstly, what is this for? I understand the relation between the dice and the "roll", but there is probably background information, apparently a meme, that I dont know wich makes it look pretty inocuous to me. Is it like an RPG branch of a meme? Im a bit lost.

Secondly, if this was a stencil, and it was painted on a wall, Id think it has some merit... crafting the stencil and such, avoiding being caught while painting it, etc. as it is now, and PLEASE dont take offense from this, it is just my uninformed opinion wich really has no weight or value at all... but is it really worth a thread? are you planing on putting up more stuff here ?

It is a conditioned reflex I have developed from reading this forum, that I feel the need to say "work on your anatomy, draw from life", but I cant say it here, and that frustrates me and drives me to a cathartic state.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Karbacca wrote:
    I know this has been a possibly over done thing from the "Keep Calm and Move Along" poster.

I would have to agree that this is over done.

If that's a d20, I would put the other numbers on it.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    okay, 48 views and no comments, so I will have to do the civil thing and spew my opinions all over the place.

Firstly, what is this for? I understand the relation between the dice and the "roll", but there is probably background information, apparently a meme, that I dont know wich makes it look pretty inocuous to me. Is it like an RPG branch of a meme? Im a bit lost.

Secondly, if this was a stencil, and it was painted on a wall, Id think it has some merit... crafting the stencil and such, avoiding being caught while painting it, etc. as it is now, and PLEASE dont take offense from this, it is just my uninformed opinion wich really has no weight or value at all... but is it really worth a thread? are you planing on putting up more stuff here ?

It is a conditioned reflex I have developed from reading this forum, that I feel the need to say "work on your anatomy, draw from life", but I cant say it here, and that frustrates me and drives me to a cathartic state.

This is a meme that has been around for a little while. You can read about the original poster here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

There are lots of variations on it that have been produced on t-shirts and posters.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Yeah to be honest, this meme has been so overworked that each additional take, filters it's ability to make people laugh even further. What I'm trying to say is that it's incredibly unoriginal and smacks of "me too!"

• Options
    I want to hire Mustang for a public relations position.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Cripes, that would've been considered a tame PA:AC critique 4 years ago.

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    For the pic itself, I dunno how I feel about "roll on." Maybe if it was a katamari joke, but when it comes to tabletop gaming you don't just roll, you roll for stuff.
    What might also help you is if you up the resolution of the image and overall size of it, and have the text spaced out a little more. Example of what I mean..

Or maybe you want to try it like on a scroll or parchment, give it that fantasy style with a black cursive font, and give the die a more "hand drawn" look like an old monk illustrated it, in keeping with that kind of thing. It does sound kind of cheesy when I think about it now, but it's a suggestion!

• Options
    FlornFlorn Registered User new member
    I'm not sure how sold you are with the "keep calm and roll on" but I feel like "KEEP CALM" alone gets the point across and is a bit more amusing.

• Options
    eGregiouseGregious Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Obviously, I have no authority on this site, but I'm going to kindly ask you to not comment on other people's works if you do not have anything constructive to say. This is borderline offensive and hurtful. There are artists who make millions of dollars per year making stuff that even other artists would probably consider "innocuous" or "worthless". Does that mean the artist should give up and do something else? No. He's pursuing his passion.

It is not your job to go around forcing your opinions and ideologies down other people's throats. Trust me, when you try to shove something down any kind of throat, it's usually just vomit that comes back up. And the owner of that throat might be a little bit hostile around you afterward.

• Options
    eGregious wrote: »
    Obviously, I have not lurked this site.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    Cripes, that would've been considered a tame PA:AC critique 4 years ago.

You uh...

You think I should say something then?

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mustang wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest, this meme has been so overworked that each additional take, filters it's ability to make people laugh even further. What I'm trying to say is that it's incredibly unoriginal and smacks of "me too!"

Your statement is pretty well the opposite of constructive, and 'smacks of' pretentiousness. He wasn't heralding it as the pinnacle of original thought, he said it was just an idea he had, and that was his execution of the idea. Whatever, I think he's been scared away now, although looking at his post history he tends to come and go.
    Even if it's not the strongest idea, what purpose was your criticism if not straight-up brow-beating? Why not suggest a way to improve the thing rather than flat out discouraging it?

Edit: and let's be clear, advising him to try a different kind of poster, one styled after motivational propaganda, but taken in a more original direction was a valid avenue for criticism. If that's what you meant, you should probably have said that.
    Expressing your distaste for something isn't the same thing as providing usable feedback.

Nic on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Guys, if you want to discuss the merits of what makes a good critique, please take it to the chat thread rather than cluttering up this fine chap's thread.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I thought it was cool and got it immediately. You're talking about playing a tabletop game and dealing with a critical failure.

Not gonna say it's going to hang on my wall, or anything, but I got the joke and thought it was a nice play on the original.

I am in the business of saving lives.