As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Responding to Someone Calling Child's Play a "First World Problem"

amadaeusamadaeus Registered User new member
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
So I'm holding an "event" for Child's Play, and went to Reddit to do some publicizing. The one and only comment so far is a discouraging one:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/tmpsc/im_running_for_desert_bus/

I feel like I have to respond to this, because there are convincing arguments to be made about how games can benefit the psyche of both parents and patients, but am I just feeding the trolls? Thoughts?

amadaeus on

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    reddit is like if a sinkhole somehow had halitosis

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    He's not a troll. He's an asshole.

Seriously, he thinks the facilities for a hospital are good enough so... what, don't donate to a charity that raises money for DOZENS of hospitals?

What a tool.

Seriously the best thing people could do is upvote your link i guess. I did.

Edit: also yeah I'm sorry but I sort of had to point out that guy was an asshole.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Reddit is the pimple on the Internet's ass

It doesn't contribute anything good, and whenever it's noticeable, it's irritating and you just want to pop it

• Options
    amadaeusamadaeus Registered User new member
    Thanks for the validation, not that I need any convincing that Child's Play does awesome things for... well... children.

The question is if I should respond to something toxic like this... and how.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I would say leave another forum's issues at that forum.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    reddit is like if a sinkhole somehow had halitosis

yyyup

plus looks like someone else already answered it.

The "first world problems" complaint can be applied to pretty much any charity that affects...well, first world countries, and is a total fallacy. Even Gabe and Tycho in the first few years of Child's Play felt they had to address some douchebag who said the equivalent of "if your charity can't solve every problem in the world then why bother trying to solve one problem?!" Douches gonna douche, reddit has a lot of them.

• Options
    Like, I'd make an account to tell that guy he's a prick

But 1) it's not worth the effort I'd probably have to put in to make an account and 2) a thousand other people would probably yell at us and say that we're the idiots

Ignoring/Avoiding Reddit is really the best course of action. You could have found better places on the internet to spread awareness than Reddit.

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »

oh yeah this too

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »

This is what I tried to explain at the end of my last post

This is basically the best advice you could be given

• Options
    like I don't go to reddit because it's full of slime

please don't scoop up a handful and shove it through my mailslot

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Isn't reddit a place where people go for the 4chan experience without having to 'shame' themselves by going to actual 4chan?

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    something being a first world thing doesn't necessarily diminish it's radness

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Reddit is the lowest common denominator of the internet, and I'm saying that as someone who occasionally goes to Reddit.

It's not like the Detroit of the internet...that's 9gag. It's close though. It's like the Newark of the internet...maybe like the entire state of Mississippi of the internet.

• Options
    i convinced my friend to google "mlp clop" and he went into a subreddit for clopping and it was hundreds of pictures of this one guy who apparently travels the country raping horses or something, because how can anyone find that many different horses to fuck?

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    There's a sub-reddit called r/beatwomen that is clearly a troll attempt, and people keep flocking to it to feed the trolls. It's worse than the nazi one.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure a sick kid getting an Xbox 360 would be motherfucking psyched no matter which world he's from

in fact, possibly even more if he lives in Uganda or something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a sick kid getting an Xbox 360 would be motherfucking psyched no matter which world he's from

yeah i bet the average ugandan child would be pumped to get an xbox 360

that totally makes sense

reposig.jpg
  • Options

"oh boy this is great; I can't wait until I have the infrastructure in place to get electricity"

• Options
    "also, I'm fucking starving to death"

• Options
    Well assuming there's the facilities to play it

I don't know, maybe the culture gap is too large for the kid to be able to enjoy it. My point was more that bringing entertainment to sick kids is a net positive no matter which way you cut it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    When I lived in Tanzania I left behind my PS2 with a fat stack of games. Those kids went wild for it. They loved Soul Calibur and the ATV racing games.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well as cool as it would be to send toys and games to people in less developed countries, some of those places have a varying lacking amount of law and order, and that shit could just as easily get stolen. Or never arrive at its destination.

• Options
    pretty sure most kids would prefer 200 dollars of food and medicine

sick kids in america have access to that a lot more on average, especially the ones already in hospitals

so yeah, child's play is absolutely a first world problem in that sense

the aim is noble and good is achieved but it is impossible to deny that child's play solves a problem that is, objectively, less serious than those which exist in less-developed countries

• Options
    argh

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sick kids being unhappy is not a first world problem. That is what I meant.

sig.gif
  • Options

sick kids in america have access to that a lot more on average, especially the ones already in hospitals

the aim is noble and good is achieved but it is impossible to deny that child's play solves a problem that is, objectively, less serious than those which exist in less-developed countries

What if they have a giant box

Inside the box is a tiny 360

and the rest of the box is filled with food, candy, and pills

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    listen

i'm pretty sure those kids have some kind of straps to pull themselves up by

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

Send them a copy of Dr. Mario

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    listen

i'm pretty sure those kids have some kind of straps to pull themselves up by

Don't see too many boots in those National Geographic documentaries.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    There's a sub-reddit called r/beatwomen that is clearly a troll attempt, and people keep flocking to it to feed the trolls. It's worse than the nazi one.
    I bet that is less a troll attempt and more horrible people finding a place where they can go be horrible people

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My charity has a bigger dick than your charity

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    amadaeus wrote: »
    Thanks for the validation, not that I need any convincing that Child's Play does awesome things for... well... children.

The question is if I should respond to something toxic like this... and how.

just delete your account
    Artreus wrote: »
    I bet that is less a troll attempt and more horrible people finding a place where they can go be horrible people

this right here

the only good subreddit is ShitREdditSays

and even then you go crazy reading the shit reddit says

• Options

Wasn't there a thing about how they closed r/jailbait or something

and people raised a huge stink over it

and that was disgusting

sig.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Best thing I heard at one of the PAX East Q&As was Mike and Jerry's announcement that they're going to be providing for women's shelters too.
    What I'm sayin is, people complaining about a charity need to shut the fuck up and find something better to do with their time.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

and that was disgusting

I think some people raised a stink because it had taken so long for Reddit to decide to do that, others raised a stink on a general "FREEDOM OF SPEEEEECH", and some raised a stink because they were disgusting people.

• Options
    I'm starting a charity

the charity is to offer bonings to women in need

ladies

sig.gif
  • Options

and that was disgusting

ho ho ho let me tell you a tale about this

llllast fall? fall before? a goon sent a thing to AC360 saying "hey look at this weird shit that reddit allows", highlighting r/jailbait specifically

reddit goes "uh oh bad publicity shut it down" and it gets shut down and people throw a fit about FREE SPEECH because apparently rubbing out to literal kids is protected

fast forward a few months and a hojillion replacements have sprung up

goons decide to put together a thing to post all over the internet showing how reddit does nothing to shut down pedos being pedos and defending it, doesn't care about people's stolen pics being posted on r/jailbaits, doesn't care that these subs exist, etc

two days later? no more jailbait subs. period.

shitheads still think it's just SA being mad about not being relevant

no you fucks we were mad about you jerking off to kids

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Best thing I heard at one of the PAX East Q&As was Mike and Jerry's announcement that they're going to be providing for women's shelters too.
    What I'm sayin is, people complaining about a charity need to shut the fuck up and find something better to do with their time.

what about this one

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

and that was disgusting

I think some people raised a stink because it had taken so long for Reddit to decide to do that, others raised a stink on a general "FREEDOM OF SPEEEEECH", and some raised a stink because they were disgusting people.

yeah we're talking specifically the second and third categoires because they were objectively in the wrong

• Options
    I hear r/beatwomen

and then I think of the time I got on Twitter during the Grammys

and Chris Brown won an award

and there were a few thousand, at least, tweets from women

tweeting about how they'd let Chris Brown beat them

and when that happened live and I witnessed it I just lost all faith in humanity

This discussion has been closed.