Responding to Someone Calling Child's Play a "First World Problem"

2»

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Best thing I heard at one of the PAX East Q&As was Mike and Jerry's announcement that they're going to be providing for women's shelters too.
    What I'm sayin is, people complaining about a charity need to shut the fuck up and find something better to do with their time.

what about this one

Okay, most charities. Not the shitty ones for shitty people. You know what I fucking mean.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hold on kids, we're taking this thread to a different place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQF_nhPUGU

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    There's a sub-reddit called r/beatwomen that is clearly a troll attempt, and people keep flocking to it to feed the trolls. It's worse than the nazi one.
    I bet that is less a troll attempt and more horrible people finding a place where they can go be horrible people

Wasn't there a thing about how they closed r/jailbait or something

and people raised a huge stink over it

and that was disgusting

ho ho ho let me tell you a tale about this

llllast fall? fall before? a goon sent a thing to AC360 saying "hey look at this weird shit that reddit allows", highlighting r/jailbait specifically

reddit goes "uh oh bad publicity shut it down" and it gets shut down and people throw a fit about FREE SPEECH because apparently rubbing out to literal kids is protected

fast forward a few months and a hojillion replacements have sprung up

goons decide to put together a thing to post all over the internet showing how reddit does nothing to shut down pedos being pedos and defending it, doesn't care about people's stolen pics being posted on r/jailbaits, doesn't care that these subs exist, etc

two days later? no more jailbait subs. period.

shitheads still think it's just SA being mad about not being relevant

no you fucks we were mad about you jerking off to kids

"We"?

We have a spy in our midst! Get him!

sig.gif
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    The thing that sets Child's Play apart for me is the relative degree of certainty I have about where the money is headed. Anyone can start a charity, but not everyone can run it well. Also, there are a few assholes out there who are just looking to make a buck off your sympathy.

We just had a charity that deals with shoes for the needy get shutdown here. The president/founder was selling the donated shoes and keeping the proceeds.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Hold on kids, we're taking this thread to a different place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQF_nhPUGU

I still haven't seen this movie.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    I am not at all fond of the way 'firstworldproblems' has been used to denigrate genuine trouble that people get into, dismissing them simply because they live in an ostensibly first world country.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    pretty sure most kids would prefer 200 dollars of food and medicine

sick kids in america have access to that a lot more on average, especially the ones already in hospitals

so yeah, child's play is absolutely a first world problem in that sense

the aim is noble and good is achieved but it is impossible to deny that child's play solves a problem that is, objectively, less serious than those which exist in less-developed countries

I'm pretty sure there's no way to say that poverty is objectively less serious than cancer.

EDIT: And there are already several charities dedicated to dealing with that. I'm pretty sure Child's Play is the only charity ensuring that hospitals have toys as treatment aids for pediatric patients.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    good thing no one was doing that homeboy

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    First World Problems is pretty much the worst recent meme phrase.

Aside from YOLO.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    It does happen, sometimes on these forums.

It's especially jarring because there's some very un-first-world-like suffering going on in the United States especially, yet I'll see people dismiss it because it's not some exotic location with exotic people suffering in the worst way.

Poverty is a relative thing, but it's always bad and should never be scoffed at.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    I thought this thread was about Muppets now.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Let me rephrase then; I'm pretty sure there's no way to say that cancer is objectively less serious than poverty.

In that they're both pretty serious, and trying to rank one above the other in some kind of hierarchy of need is moot, because both parties need help pretty badly.

And like I said, to the best of my knowledge, Child's Play is the only charity that makes sure hospitals have toys for younger patients, while there are several that are dedicated to getting aid to third world countries.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

You should rent the movie, it's very good.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Plus, get the soundtrack.

The soundtrack's fantastic.

• Options

My friend has stated that it is unequivocally the best Muppet movie there is.

I will probably just buy it, we have every other Muppet film so far, I see no reason why we should stop now.

The Am I a Man song is pretty fantastic, even knowing nothing else about the film.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    the muppet movie was the most pure fun i have ever had at a movie

i walked out with this huge fuckin' grin on my face both times

• Options

I will probably just buy it, we have every other Muppet film so far, I see no reason why we should stop now.

The Am I a Man song is pretty fantastic, even knowing nothing else about the film.

Watch the first Muppet Movie if you have access to it before you watch this new one. It'll refresh a couple of things in your mind that they reference.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Let me rephrase then; I'm pretty sure there's no way to say that cancer is objectively less serious than poverty.

In that they're both pretty serious, and trying to rank one above the other in some kind of hierarchy of need is moot, because both parties need help pretty badly.

And like I said, to the best of my knowledge, Child's Play is the only charity that makes sure hospitals have toys for younger patients, while there are several that are dedicated to getting aid to third world countries.

I'm talking about toys versus medicine

again

I think Child's Play is very noble and I'm glad it exists and I don't think it's a waste or anything like that

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I will always recall the year we brought the brand-new Children's Cancer Hospital of Cairo on board as a Child's Play partner. We had collected cash donations for them, and I emailed our contact to let her know we would be sending them a fairly substantial check, and as we always do, I specified that this donation be used directly for the kids as opposed to general hospital funds. I received a hesitant reply: "Would it be okay if we used some of the money to buy paint?" The walls at the Cairo hospital weren't even painted yet! The children were receiving chemotherapy in room that looked like bunkers, and I can't imagine how intimidating that must have been.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    So, is Cairo considered first world? I'm sure those kids being treated in unadorned concrete rooms would be properly chastised if they learned that they didn't need it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Morale is very relevant when fighting and treating cancer. Child's Play isn't just noble. Giving patients something to do with their time is fundamental to effective treatment.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I will always recall the year we brought the brand-new Children's Cancer Hospital of Cairo on board as a Child's Play partner. We had collected cash donations for them, and I emailed our contact to let her know we would be sending them a fairly substantial check, and as we always do, I specified that this donation be used directly for the kids as opposed to general hospital funds. I received a hesitant reply: "Would it be okay if we used some of the money to buy paint?" The walls at the Cairo hospital weren't even painted yet! The children were receiving chemotherapy in room that looked like bunkers, and I can't imagine how intimidating that must have been.

so

what happened next?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    The Muppet Movie was good but there was another muppet movie that had a nearly identical plot.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

so

what happened next?

i'm going to go with "they painted"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Child's Play supply more than just games these days? I thought the money went towards play rooms and educational supplies and medical equipment as well...

• Options

again

I think Child's Play is very noble and I'm glad it exists and I don't think it's a waste or anything like that

And there's a significant body of research that proves that those toys have had an overwhelmingly positive effect on treatment efficacy.

So, while the toys might not be as key to treatment as medicine, they're still a notable part of the treatment process.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Harrier wrote: »
    I am not at all fond of the way 'firstworldproblems' has been used to denigrate genuine trouble that people get into, dismissing them simply because they live in an ostensibly first world country.

Addicted to heroin, pulling tricks behind the gas station for a fix #firstworldproblems #fml

sig.gif
  • Options

Watch the first Muppet Movie if you have access to it before you watch this new one. It'll refresh a couple of things in your mind that they reference.

What, really?

That's pretty cool. I haven't see that flick in a while, either.

Muppet marathon weekend at sarukun's house!

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Welcome to our Forums, please read our Rules Thread.

Also, please don't bring drama from other web-forums here. Thanks.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.