As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Myth: OOC Discussion

• Options
    McGlitchMcGlitch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps something like Fire or the Forge then, scooter? We don't really have any Vulcan/Prometheus-like figures at the moment. Only a suggestion, of course.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magic, craftsmanship, law and civilisation, seasons and agriculture, emotions, the arts, or some combination of the above are all available, I believe.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Emotions could be a fun one.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Salt's convinced me to try my hand at this, and I'm looking at creating a Muse-like goddess. I guess that would also encompass the Arts, because it could be something as simple as influencing someone to pursue a career in music. Alternatively, she'd be able to leave a stronger imprint, and you'd have people that suffer for their craft, that bleed themselves out for what they do: like Van Gogh. It wouldn't necessarily have to relate to just the Arts though, could also go for politicians, teachers, etc. Mostly she'd only have a solid role around sentient creatures.

I wanted to maybe get some feedback though; I don't know if this is too close to some other ideas?

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The only person whose toes you'd really be near to stepping on would be INNS, I think (am I wrong?). Arts and so on could be good times.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I feel like we have 20 chaos, entropy, secrets Gods at this point.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    The only person whose toes you'd really be near to stepping on would be INNS, I think (am I wrong?). Arts and so on could be good times.

INNS doesn't have any problem with Maz's idea.

Cable's got chaos as a minor portion of her portfolio, but it's not in a severe way, just 'change can be pretty good' sort of way. /shrug

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Cable's got chaos as a minor portion of her portfolio, but it's not in a severe way, just 'change can be pretty good' sort of way. /shrug

I was complaining about the newest god (IShallRiseAgain). "Chaos, The Unknown, Secrets." I'm pretty sure all of those have been taken by other gods at this point.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

I was complaining about the newest god (IShallRiseAgain). "Chaos, The Unknown, Secrets." I'm pretty sure all of those have been taken by other gods at this point.

Oh, right. Yep, those are all covered already, pretty much.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A minor observation- the god of "Entropy"... isn't his description actually that of Enthalpy? As I recall Entropy is an increase in the level of activity/movement of particles/energy, and enthalpy is the movement of any substance towards a state of minimum energy. All things in the universe are subject to a struggle between the two forces. Hooray for nitpicks over science in a game about gods.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fear is the unknown. Once we have sentinent beings, i'll be able to more specific to fear. Right now, i gotta be kind of vague, because fear and cruelty only can really exist with sentinent beings.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fear is the unknown. Once we have sentinent beings, i'll be able to more specific to fear. Right now, i gotta be kind of vague, because fear and cruelty only can really exist with sentinent beings.

You might notice you never once mentioned fear. You are the god of chaos, and apparently chaos is the same as evil, which is to say, joy in murder.

Veto imho.

Okay y'no what. We should make it a rule that a character has to be presented in OOC, nitpicked, and then OK'd by RBB before they go into the game. I am thinking that this would be nice.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    actually, i did mention it in the OOC thread. im having my character work towards the niche of fear and cruelty.

-edit
    ok, i fixed it. its now much more specific to the unknown aka fear, which is not covered.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You might notice you never once mentioned fear. You are the god of chaos, and apparently chaos is the same as evil, which is to say, joy in murder.

Veto imho.

Okay y'no what. We should make it a rule that a character has to be presented in OOC, nitpicked, and then OK'd by RBB before they go into the game. I am thinking that this would be nice.

I concur.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    actually, i did mention it in the OOC thread. im having my character work towards the niche of fear and cruelty.
    Chaos. The Unknown. Secrets.

So uh, where's the 'fear and cruelty' in there?

No. I say veto and decanonize it. I have lots of reasons, like he's claiming domains that he does not want, he is misunderstanding the meaning of the domains he's taking, he's ignoring the toes he's stepping on, etc. etc., plus basically making a bunch of random animals that like to kill other animals could be cool but the method in which it was done adds nothing of value to the setting.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You'll want to make this clear in the IC thread as well. In fact, it's best to just state your domain as whatever your god is eventually going to be, even if it doesn't exist yet, and then work towards it. Don't claim domains you're not going to use.

Let's make it clear now: what exactly are the domains you're going for? Chaos and entropy and secrets are pretty much all taken. Fear would be fine. You may want to add some other ones on top of that, so long as they're not already covered (you can check the wiki for a summary of what's been taken and what hasn't). That IC post is non-canon until we've worked things out.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just a reminder as well, should you happen to wish to contribute to this game, it wouldn't hurt to add your god to the wiki, as well as any creations of your god. I'm going to throw my first species up there in a while, but right now I have to study for an exam tomorrow.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Im going for Cruelty, Fear, and Thirst for Power as my domains.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Im going for Cruelty, Fear, and Ambition as my domains.

Amibition is covered by 'Hope and Imagination' I'd say, especially when you consider that we've got a muse god after that.

Edit: I don't really see how you can be 'The god of Fear And Ambition' anyway, they kind of contradict eachother. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Although, if it was Greed, it would work, wouldn't it?

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Greed sounds like it'd be appropriate.

Man Solar did you just make ever forest superflammable >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The solar made Wickwood. It's a very flammable, fast-growing, woody shrub. It's in keeping with his 'lets burn everything' philosophy, but I'm really hoping that Wickwood proves useful to sentient life in some way. Keep it in mind.

Also, it should probably be assumed that the Solar found some salamanders and made them all burn-y.

EDIT: I'm not planning on torching the place, INNS. I mean for Wickwood to be a tool of civilization, not universal conflagration. It's also supposed to be sort of 'unintended consequence'-y. :P

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Haha, I have a bad feeling about the high levels of burnination that the Solar is introducing to this world. :P
    Oh well. It's not like the Rotac will be effected much. I have plans for an opposing race to my Rotac, but that is for a later date.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Can we give some thought to bringing in humans?

My ideal is that, while we would have other races (obviously), and monsters and whatnot, Humans would still be the most populous and capable race (perhaps even a race that came about with deific intervention? That could be very interesting.)

If I ever run a game set in the setting we make, that would make it a lot easier to work with I think.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    McGlitch, remember that there is a schedule for introducing intelligent races. Let's be sure that the other players are ready before bringing them in.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Humans can be created or can come about through the evolution of animals that already exist, it doesn't really matter. Regardless, humans would probably be the most widespread race, unless somebody created a race that bread like rats that is.

Also, I'm taking evolution as a minor domain if nobody cares.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps Primal could be the patron god of humans, at least, to begin with. He did create life and therefore adaptation and evolution. Then once they reach certain stages in different cultures they could discover the influences of other gods and develop different religons?

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    McGlitch wrote: »
    Perhaps Primal could be the patron god of humans, at least, to begin with. He did create life and therefore adaptation and evolution. Then once they reach certain stages in different cultures they could discover the influences of other gods and develop different religons?

Honestly I don't like the idea of there being different civilizations each built around worship of a different god. I mean it's fun to play with that way, but it doesn't really make for interesting RP when you get down to the Roll Up Some PCs level, y'no?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    McGlitch, remember that there is a schedule for introducing intelligent races. Let's be sure that the other players are ready before bringing them in.

Hehe, don't worry, the Rotac are in a very, very primeval state. Just big, dumb, undeveloped lizards. When intelligent life starts evolving then they might get smarter (maybe even sentient?), but for now they're just big, dumb, happy lizards. The two on Holis will be immortal I suppose, and so will grow bigger and stronger than their mortal counterparts.
    I was intending for them to be used as either rare creatures of legend once the intelligent races evolve, as an uncommon farm animal used for its hide to make armour, or, should they evolve as well, a mischievous but nearly invulnerable race with a limited intellect and a constantly happy state.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This doesn't really fit at all with the phases as we have them planned, with each god guiding the intelligent races however they see fit, so I'm going to have to say no. It's more important that all the players get full access to the races or the stages after this one won't work properly and we'll lose players.

Edit: That's good, I just wasn't sure whether they were supposed to be sapient or not.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So, do you guys think Im good? Ill put my entry into wiki if so.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I think I said I thought Amibition would be stepping on toes (we've got a lot of gods of mental attributes by now, enough that there's really not room for more without bumping against other folks.)

While I don't find the other stuff terribly interesting in and of themselves, if you can do something interesting with a deity of Fear and Cruelty, more power to ya.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Cruelty, fear and greed is fine.

Edit: Ambition, as Salt says, is somewhat muscling in on some of the other gods. Greed seems to be more in keeping with your god's portfolio anyway, if you want it. As with the other non-material domains, the more creative you are the more stuff you'll probably find to do - for example, putting fear into all the food animals in an area could cause them to flee, causing famine, bringing down an entire kingdom, or so on.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry about the Primal=Human God thing, I forgot all about the larger gameplan.

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This doesn't really fit at all with the phases as we have them planned, with each god guiding the intelligent races however they see fit, so I'm going to have to say no. It's more important that all the players get full access to the races or the stages after this one won't work properly and we'll lose players.

Edit: That's good, I just wasn't sure whether they were supposed to be sapient or not.

We could always work it so that when everyone decides to move into phase two I could announce the arrival of humans and decide to take them under my wing as their patron god.

If I understand you complaint you don't want a free roaming intelligent race, if I'm wrong correct me.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

We could always work it so that when everyone decides to move into phase two I could announce the arrival of humans and decide to take them under my wing as their patron god.

If I understand you complaint you don't want a free roaming intelligent race, if I'm wrong correct me.

What I mean is that all the gods are going to be affecting, influencing, teaching, advancing and guiding the intelligent races once they do appear, and having one god with precedence in matters of a particular race would limit that. If you wanted, you could take humans as your favourite race and try to advance their best interests, but you wouldn't have any more control over them than other gods.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What I mean is that all the gods are going to be affecting, influencing, teaching, advancing and guiding the intelligent races once they do appear, and having one god with precedence in matters of a particular race would limit that. If you wanted, you could take humans as your favourite race and try to advance their best interests, but you wouldn't have any more control over them than other gods.

I see, I got it all backwards. I guess Primal would probably show special interest in humans and like them, but he probably wouldn't show them any favoritism.

I could announce they came about as we where going into the second phase, or you could announce them or something.

They won't get treated any differently then anyone else.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You could show as much favouritism as you'd like. The important thing is that you wouldn't have any more actual power over them than anyone else.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    On another note, what are we going to do Geography-wise? Should a series of continents be construed now or can it wait until we need to know for civilisation purposes? Will there be specific climates and thus areas favourable for certain species that will come in handy? Will we need to make a map?

McGlitch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One day, humans just showed up. We don't know where from; it was just in the blink of an eye, they were here, the one time ever that the gods blinked.

And hell if we can get rid of 'em.

I kind of like it. Humans as a race that stand outside of the realm of direct godly intervention (as a species if not individuals.)

That is an idea I like for humans.

INeedNoSalt on