As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Arms are also much more responsive and agile than the torso for aiming purposes. You can get arm-mounted weapons on target more quickly regardless of the angles involved. However, as Ninja notes that's not as important at long range since you're mostly making fine adjustments while sniping. It might help a little with target acquisition, but probably not enough to be a major factor. I suppose it gives the Jagermech the edge in dealing with close-range harassers, though, which counts for something.

One thing that I think might be a decisive advantage for the Jagermech: Its arms are mounted very high on the chassis. You'll be able to fire from a nearly completely hull-down position with it, whereas the Catapult has to expose pretty much its entire upper body to bring torso-mounted weapons to bear.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Oh hey, does the thread work now?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    MegaMek wrote: »

Considering the reply I posted an hour ago is nowhere to be found, I'd say not really.

To reiterate: the armor limit is the same for any 'mech in a given weight class. The JagerMech and Catapult are both 65 tons, ergo they can carry the same amount of armor.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The irony to all of this is that Jager has a variant that removes the guns and puts on missile racks.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    MegaMek wrote: »

Considering the reply I posted an hour ago is nowhere to be found, I'd say not really.

To reiterate: the armor limit is the same for any 'mech in a given weight class. The JagerMech and Catapult are both 65 tons, ergo they can carry the same amount of armor.

Yeah, those posts are gone forever; lost in the aether of the net.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Hoping this post actually appears.

Are aesthetics alone not enough to justify having both the Gaussapult and the Jagermech?

Some people will like the giant robot chicken look, others... not so much.

Maybe the Jager with Dual Gauss cannons will cost less than a Catapault with Dual Gauss cannons. Should be ok then, right?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Since my other post got eaten as well, I'll try again: I downloaded Mechwarrior 4 for free, and much to my surprise it runs like complete ass. I just assumed a game that old would run like butter at 1920x1080, but it really doesn't. Does anyone have any performance tips for getting it to look nice and run well on a modern system?

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Apperantly, when Curiosity landed last night, the first report to NASA after it's power up was "All Systems Nominal."

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm not in the beta. Are the hardpoints just "1 weapon of this type", or are they also limited by crit space?

Would it address the issue to have them be something like "Hardpoint - Energy (large)" or "Hardpoint - Ballistic (small)", which would keep gauss rifles from ending up places they oughtn't?

• Options
    They only limit weapon type, mostly to prevent people from stacking smaller weapons which is a problem in older MechWarrior games.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Cannot fathom why people yell about Gausspult, it isnt even very good, has super low ammo, is paper thin, and is only good at coring big slow mechs and stupid people. Its the only mech that has a sniper role at this time. I think thats pretty healthy, and gives alternatives to current brawler builds, a good thing.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Yeah, it is a good thing.

It's also fun sneaking up behind them in a Jenner and blowing their arms off. I've found you can seemingly always hit twice before they realize someone's behind them.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Cannot fathom why people yell about Gausspult, it isnt even very good, has super low ammo, is paper thin, and is only good at coring big slow mechs and stupid people. Its the only mech that has a sniper role at this time. I think thats pretty healthy, and gives alternatives to current brawler builds, a good thing.

If by "people" you mean "Ninja Snarl P," you should read his posts more closely. He's just pointing out that it encroaches on the eventual role of the Jagermech. If you mean "people in general who think it's OP," then yes, it's a fairly dumb complaint.
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    It's also fun sneaking up behind them in a Jenner and blowing their arms off.

Given that the arms on Gauss Catapults are disposable empty shells, this isn't the most productive use of your ambush opportunity!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    How are the controls in the beta, by the way? Are they KB&M friendly, or is using a stick a better way to go? Using my old Sidewinder Pro back on MW2 was mind-blowing with the Z-Axis for tilt; I'd like to recapture that magic if it's a viable control scheme.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Ah, I thought that's where the guns were. Rear torso it is!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    How are the controls in the beta, by the way? Are they KB&M friendly, or is using a stick a better way to go? Using my old Sidewinder Pro back on MW2 was mind-blowing with the Z-Axis for tilt; I'd like to recapture that magic if it's a viable control scheme.

KBAM is probably the best option thanks to the higher precision of aiming with the mouse, but I'm sure joysticks will be quite usable if you find them to be more enjoyable. Eventually it might even be possible to use a mouse and joystick together for the best of both worlds.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So there's no tutorial for this, is there?

Jesus christ, this is ridiculous. I've been having not a whole lot of fun trying to figure out how not to overheat myself into a molten heap of slag by firing any weapon once.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options

Jesus christ, this is ridiculous. I've been having not a whole lot of fun trying to figure out how not to overheat myself into a molten heap of slag by firing any weapon once.

If you walked into a Mechwarrior game and were surprised by the heat management, you are in for a real treat.

• Options

No, no tutorial yet. It's early days in the beta still.

That being said, MW games have always been about experimenting with loadouts to see what's terrible, what works, and what's terrible but still fun for whatever reason. So slap some more heat sinks on your 'Mech and see what happens!

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm not surprised and I knew about it beforehand, but holy fuck at least some form of single-player "Fuck around and learn controls here before getting absolutely annihilated by the barbed cocks of your veteran opponents" mode would have been nice.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Did you change your weapon groups? The default puts every weapon in group 1. Less than ideal for heat management since firing weapons simultaneously generates more heat than the sum of the individual weapons.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I was prepared, from playing other MW games, but Shiashi is right. They'll need to put in a tutorial and allow weapon group setup and/or heat simulation outside of actual battle if they want people to hang around longer than the initial WTF reaction.

I couldn't even find weapon range/damage/heat information within the game, had to hit up some forum post by a random person.

Disclaimer: I realize it's beta and all these things will most likely be in at release :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Did you change your weapon groups? The default puts every weapon in group 1. Less than ideal for heat management since firing weapons simultaneously generates more heat than the sum of the individual weapons.

Nope, because it doesn't tell you how to do this. I was basically alpha-striking every single shot because the game just shoves everything into the first group and doesn't give an explanation for the way that works.

I'm not discouraged or anything, but I'm definitely waiting for some friends to get back from work/errands/whatever so I can roll with them and soften the trial by fire.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    ya my first game i alpha striked like a boss as well. I definitely expect them to put in the ability to setup my weapon groups prior to launching. I'm also still waiting on the ability to alt look during setup!

GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    They should let you change your weapon groups in the initial countdown to the start of a match, but at least once you do set them it saves them.

Every match after that they will already be set.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options

Nope, because it doesn't tell you how to do this. I was basically alpha-striking every single shot because the game just shoves everything into the first group and doesn't give an explanation for the way that works.

I'm not discouraged or anything, but I'm definitely waiting for some friends to get back from work/errands/whatever so I can roll with them and soften the trial by fire.

There is little to no documentation. Almost all the stock mech builds are absolute garbage. There is a post on the forums explaining the weapon grouping (arrow keys, highlight, right control, move to desired group, right control, so horrible). Make sure you have enough heatsinks to at least alpha a couple times.

• Options
    Stock builds ARE poop.

They need to at least put in some newbie friendly (lower damage but less heat worry) builds in to get people's feet wet.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    I love the trial mechs for noobs. "Use this if you want to be curb stomped. Click here!"

• Options
    I love the trial mechs for noobs. "Use this if you want to be curb stomped. Click here!"

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I wondered. It seemed a bit obnoxious to fire three weapons and already be at 60% heat.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    To reiterate earlier posts alluding to the fact that PPCs (and the default Awesome variant which has three of them) suck:

PPCs and the default Awesome that uses three of them suck.

This was a major disappointment to me, as the Awesome model in this game looks amazing and doing anything in one but delivering a continuous rolling PPC barrage just feels wrong.

Gaslight on
  • Options

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I wondered. It seemed a bit obnoxious to fire three weapons and already be at 60% heat.

too bad there is not an eject button included it would have been hilarious to see new kids alpha strike then eject from their mechs. Maybe not the best first impression though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

I was wondering when you'd show up. I fully expect you to put the biggest engine ever into a Jenner and cruise around while listening to Red Line. :D

Also, and this goes for everyone, I'm totes down to give help to whoever needs it. When I get back on Friday I'll also be more than willing to group up for training runs.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PPC's suck?

I was using a pair last night and they seemed to do a whole lot better than pew-pew lasers or missiles were for me.

Is there any weapon that doesn't suck? It's almost like this game is supposed to be a comedy. A bunch of guys get in giant robots and bumble around trying to shoot each other with ineffectual weapons. :)

Maybe that's what Mechwarrior was supposed to be all along :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Also, this game needs sequential firing groups.

I want four lasers I can fire individually one after the other in rotation.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Also, this game needs sequential firing groups.

I want four lasers I can fire individually one after the other in rotation.

Pretty sure they're planning to add chain-fire. In the meantime you can clumsily emulate it by putting each of your four lasers in its own group and cycling through them manually!

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So just got off the phone with my bank.

The MWO payment system (UltimatePay) tried to charge my CC, but errored out when it tried (I suspect this was my billing addy not matching). However, the $120 was earmarked (a "Merchant Hold") -- this will be released in 3 business days. August 9th.

That's beyond the August 7th cutoff.

The Bank cannot (will not?) do anything without a faxed letter from UltimatePay on company letterhead saying it's ok to release this $120 back into my account. It will be released in 3 days automatically, but until then, nada.

My next step is to try and get some help from Piranha Games. We'll see how that works.

... As an aside, the MWO billing system is the same billing system as Cosmic Break, apparently (UltimatePay). Which makes me think of Battletech Mecha Musume.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Beltaine wrote: »
    PPC's suck?

Yes, they do. They're inaccurate (compounded by the still-present firing delay) are inefficient for their damage and ROF versus their weight and heat generation, and don't cause a significant irritating "jostle" on a hit compared to some other weapons.
    Is there any weapon that doesn't suck?

Medium lasers don't suck. SRMs don't suck, now that their spread has been tightened. LRMs don't completely suck, although they're more useful as an annoyance than for actually doing damage. Gauss rifles don't suck, if you're quite a good shot. Light autocannon don't suck as harassment tools.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Hey fellas. just wanted to let everyone know I'll be online in my mumble server around 6ish eastern today. we had around 5 or 6 of us in there playing together last night so if anyone else wants to join feel free:

addy: 70.168.103.138
    port: 64738
    password: you guys know what it is. :)

I'm having a ton of fun in my hunchbacks currently. nothing like throwing on a big XL engine and going 100 kph those lil jenners can't get away from me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    @0Replace4Displace and everyone else who doesn't know wtf is up with robots: A video on the basics of MechWarrior. I presume that there's no tutorial or anything because they assumed that anyone dropping money sight unseen on a free game would be a MechWarrior fan that already knows what's up but from what I've heard that's not a safe assumption.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I wonder how well the MWO controls would work in say, MW4:Mercs. Has anyone tried? I have been fiddling with MW4 lately and am having trouble getting used to the keyboard dancing again.