As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MechWarrior Tactics | Open Beta or Whatever, Game's Still Shit I Guess

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
Register on the website if you want a shot at the closed beta!
Join the Steam Penny Arcade MechWarriors Group for hot 'Mech wang action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo3Qo_xFwYY

tacticslogo.jpg

tacticssmall1.jpg

What is MechWarrior Tactics?
MechWarrior Tactics is a turn based strategy game set in the MechWarrior universe. It will be an online free to play game. Each player commands a lance of MechWarriors in tactical battles in the style of the classic BattleTech game. Turns can be time limited if you're looking for a quick fight, or they can be more leisurely if you want to play over a period of days or weeks or whatever. You can have multiple games going on at once, and although each player starts out with a basic set of 'Mechs, you can use either in-game currency earned from playing or out-of-game currency earned from selling yourself on the street to buy different 'Mechs and so on to customize your strategic loadout.

You even get to watch the battles back after you finish, so you can see all your pretty little 'Mechs blowing the crap out of the enemy.

There is no release date yet. It runs on the Unity engine, which means you should be able to run it in your browser, even if you're on a Macintosh.

tacticssmall2.jpg

What toys can I play with?

Confirmed 'Mechs include:
Atlas
Awesome
Catapult
Dragon
Grasshopper
Hunchback
Jenner
Orion
Spider
Stalker
Trebuchet

tacticssmall3.jpg

Tell Me More!
tacticssmall4.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is this PC only? I mean, I can dual-boot, but I prefer not to.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Whoops, good question. It will work on Macs too. It will run in-browser with the Unity engine.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

Fucking man up and spend 400 dollars on a PC. Fucking fuck.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Fucking man up and spend 400 dollars on a PC. Fucking fuck.
    Eh if he's got a Mac that can dual boot there's not much reason to. Plus it doesn't matter for this game. It's ambi-platformous. Works on anything that can run a browser than can run Unity that can run MechWarrior Tactics.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads-up. Registered for the forums and crossing my fingers...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the wording makes it sound like maybe anyone who is registered gets into the beta but we'll see. It's ambiguous. "We're sending keys to people registered on the forums!" Does that mean everyone? Someone? 4 people?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh hey guys, fancy meeting you all up in here.
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the wording makes it sound like maybe anyone who is registered gets into the beta but we'll see. It's ambiguous. "We're sending keys to people registered on the forums!" Does that mean everyone? Someone? 4 people?

Yeah, that's exactly what they made it sound like but they're calling it Friends and Family so..uhh..wut?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    I'm a friend and technically I have family. I would also like to play this here game.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind giving this a whirl. They're probably going to cash shop up the full version something fierce tho.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This game is relevant to my interests. These 'forums' are going to be 'registered' so 'hard'.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Can Tactics players be Assjammers too?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I'm sure tactical assjamming could be arranged.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh......!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Commander Turd ready to make mechwar

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    OMG OMG OMG! its my wildest wet dreams come true!

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Commander Turd ready to make mechwar

Your name and avatar have left me with "You turn the page, you wash your hands, you turn the page, you wash your hands. Then you turn the page, and then you wash your hands" looping in my head.

Noticed the Orion was a listed mech. I always did have a soft spot for that guy, mostly because he's the first heavy you can get your hands on in MW3 and that was the first MW game that got me into the series.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Noticed the Orion was a listed mech. I always did have a soft spot for that guy, mostly because he's the first heavy you can get your hands on in MW3 and that was the first MW game that got me into the series.

Really hope that old beast is in MWO as well.

• Options
    BOTH THREADS GO GO GO

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    If this is due to launch around the same time as MWO, all this FTP business is making a mockery of my NYE resolution of not buying any more games to work through my backlog.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    If this is due to launch around the same time as MWO, all this FTP business is making a mockery of my NYE resolution of not buying any more games to work through my backlog.

This is what has ruined me this year on backlog, too. Super Monday Night Combat alone...UGH!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, this is horrible to people hyped for this, but I really hope this comes out much later this year. Between Guild Wars 2 and MW:O I won't have any game-time to spare, and I want to love all these little babies equally.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Is this thing going to require a Facebook account? I couldn't find anything on the site saying one way or another.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, this is horrible to people hyped for this, but I really hope this comes out much later this year. Between Guild Wars 2 and MW:O I won't have any game-time to spare, and I want to love all these little babies equally.

That's the nice thing about this game is that it plays out like Frozen Synapse so you can just start a match without worrying about having to just sit there for the whole thing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

That's the nice thing about this game is that it plays out like Frozen Synapse so you can just start a match without worrying about having to just sit there for the whole thing.

What now? Please explain.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Is this thing going to require a Facebook account? I couldn't find anything on the site saying one way or another.

What makes you think it would?

You should really go play Frozen Synapse, since its amazing.

But to actually answer your question, its simultaneously turn based. So no action plays out until both players have input their moves, and the other player doesn't have to be there for me to take my turn.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skab wrote: »

But to actually answer your question, its simultaneously turn based. So no action plays out until both players have input their moves, and the other player doesn't have to be there for me to take my turn.

Hmm. So games are often going to take days to play out as one person only occasionally checks in?

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

Hmm. So games are often going to take days to play out as one person only occasionally checks in?

They could, yes. But, at least what was usually the case in FS, once started it would usually play out. Though the plus side of the system is that you can have more than one game going at once. So, even if you were really deep into a close game and you and the other person are taking a long time to plot out your moves and strategy, you could still bounce out to another game to keep playing while waiting. The fact that you could really take your time and be strategic with it made it very satisfying.

But, this is all based on another game, as I obviously haven't played MW Tactics, and don't know just how similar the systems will be between the two.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Some new pics have been released
    69254_336372253103223_259619274111855_841640_2050392401_n.jpg
    562168_336372296436552_259619274111855_841641_765362608_n.jpg
    380367_336372333103215_259619274111855_841642_1193508623_n.jpg
    543553_336372379769877_259619274111855_841643_634835989_n.jpg
    398925_336372183103230_693750257_n.jpg
    148928_336372409769874_259619274111855_841644_1493553997_n.jpg

Looks fantastic for a Unity engine game, but they're certainly taking some liberties in terms of mech design. The Hunchback doesn't even look close

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Other than the AC20 not being an AC20, and it being on the wrong shoulder it looks fairly close to me.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    There're a bunch of differences. The cockpit in this one is lower and set more forward in the chassis, the chassis itself is much more squat than humanoid, it has large pieces of shoulder armour where there wasn't any before
    3025_Hunchback1.jpg

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There're a bunch of differences. The cockpit in this one is lower and set more forward in the chassis, the chassis itself is much more squat than humanoid, it has large pieces of shoulder armour where there wasn't any before
    3025_Hunchback1.jpg

That looks terrible.

• Options
    Battletechwiki drawings are unanimously terrible

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    3025_Hunchback1.jpg

That looks terrible.

All of the original drawing look terrible. It's best they all get tuneups.

• Options
    That Hunchback is terrible.

• Options
    I'm definitely on the side of aesthetics over fluff.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Here's Mechwarrior Onlines' take on the Hunchback.
    2019811-mechwarrior_online_hunchback_concept.jpg

Gotta say I prefer that to the new MW:T design

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The MWO is a great sprucing up of the original design. The MWT one is barely recognizable.

Actually it sort of looks like a Hellspawn.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The MWO is a great sprucing up of the original design. The MWT one is barely recognizable.

Actually it sort of looks like a Hellspawn.
    I like the Hunchback design, but if it wasn't labeled as a Hunchback, I would not have tagged it as one.
    I mean, the big gun is on the wrong shoulder, and it's glowy. I've never associated glowy with the autocannon. A PPC maybe, or possibly a gauss rifle, sure. But not an AC/20.

To be honest I was really confused initially, thought I had clicked on the other Battletech thread.
    Do you realize how cool it is to me that we have two battletech threads in the games forum? Man, I'm nerd, but this makes me a happy nerd.

• Options
    Look, we all know that the toy line based on the cartoon is the canon appearance.

1614-1.jpg

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    It could very well be that the graphic designer simply mirrored the still photo because he thought it "looked better". We'd have to see it in-game to confirm whether the AC/20 is on the wrong shoulder. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png