As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Magical Mystery Tour 2012 Wed 8/29 & Thu 8/30

• miklepandamiklepanda Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    miklepanda wrote: »
    Any idea what to visit on Portland? i'm going there the weekend before PAX

That's a little off-topic for this thread (and probably this forum). People sometimes make "I'm visiting X, what should I see" threads in H/A though http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/help-advice-forum with good responses.
    oh i'm sorry, it's just part of the same trip for me. Just trying to make small talk.

• UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    Put me in as well.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I would extraspecially like to do one of the cruisy options and the aquarium. Please don't schedule them on Wednesday morning this year or I may have to cry.

We're not coming down until Thursday this year (staying into Monday instead), so I'm up in the air about the MMT. But I'd be happy to go to the aquarium with you Thursday afternoon if MMT does it when you can't go!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    we should kidnap a DUCK and see how much of the ferris wheel we can fill in one run :)

And Mikle, plenty to see in portland the weekend before, given thats where I'm from :)

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Some thoughts/questions for you:
    - How do you feel about pre-paying for at least part of the tour? Some things (Duck Tour, Ice Cream Cruise) would require full payments in advance. I'll try to make note of these when I get the voting site up and running.
    - What does the general populace think about a bus rental? Would you be willing to pay $20-$40 in advance to have a bus drive us around instead of cramming into the public transit?
    - If you'll be there Wednesday, what kind of lunch do you want? Quicker food court style (30-45 minutes)? Or longer sit down and order off a menu style (1.5-2 hours)?
    - At East many people were vocal about wanting more beer in their MMT. Are you guys crazy for beer too? I can do some research on brewery tours and the like (Lexicongrrl gave me some good info), but only if there is interest.

New places added to the OP:
    Full Tilt Ice Cream (ice cream and pinball)
    Shorty's (pinball and full-service bar, 21+)
    Sky High Sports (indoor trampolines, an hour away)

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    1)My desire to pre-pay for things would depend on the specific event but I wouldn't be adverse to it.
    2)I'm all for pre-paying for a bus, once I see the schedule and am sure there'd be a full day of things I wanted to do. Were that not an option, I personally would probaby cab rather than taking transit.
    3)I prefer quicker meals to long, sit-down affairs.
    4)And I'm not beer crazy in the slightest and could do the whole MMT without any beer at all quite happily. :)

• muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    I get in to town Wednesday, so I may be interested in Thursday only.

@muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    Some thoughts/questions for you:
    - How do you feel about pre-paying for at least part of the tour? Some things (Duck Tour, Ice Cream Cruise) would require full payments in advance. I'll try to make note of these when I get the voting site up and running.
    - What does the general populace think about a bus rental? Would you be willing to pay $20-$40 in advance to have a bus drive us around instead of cramming into the public transit?
    - If you'll be there Wednesday, what kind of lunch do you want? Quicker food court style (30-45 minutes)? Or longer sit down and order off a menu style (1.5-2 hours)?
    - At East many people were vocal about wanting more beer in their MMT. Are you guys crazy for beer too? I can do some research on brewery tours and the like (Lexicongrrl gave me some good info), but only if there is interest.

I am admittedly fine with pre-pay, also fine with bus rental, prefer longer sit down lunch, and like more beer. But I am also exceptionally tolerant of all things, and am quite willing to do whatever is on the agenda.

Pre-pay depends on activities and what/when I may be needed for setup.
    bus rental def an option
    Quick food=more socializing.
    No beer..drink at the crawls...

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    My schedule will be too in-flux for pre-pay, but I wouldn't contest it. I could also see the pre-pay discouraging some of the come-and-go folks. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but those are some possible effects.

Bus rental is a pretty solid idea, but will require staying on time so that the group doesn't keep the bus for longer than the paid time.

Quick food works for a number of reasons. One, like @Solelron said, more socializing... also it allows a little bit of "pick up the pace" or "slow down" ability in the middle. If you leave maybe 1.5 hours for food in the middle, but go to quick food places, if the morning is running behind it doesn't screw things up for the afternoon.

I think the beer at East worked well because it was cooler weather. I'm not big on wanting to drink beer early in the day in potentially hot weather where I'm going to be walking around a lot.

zerzhul on
  • KarjakKarjak Registered User new member
    My friend and I are coming from Maui and get to town about mid day Wed, but I think we are going to try and make it to this or at least some parts.

• GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Just noticed, can you add a +1 to me? Thanks!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    so we prolly should start finalizing some ideas here soon, esp if we are considering pre-buying anything :)

Yes, getting the voting site up is on my to-do list for this week.

HI3789R.png
    edited July 2012
    Voting site is all set up now: http://mmt.vthornheart.railsplayground.net/
    Make an account and vote on where you do and don't want to go. (Accounts are cleared every PAX, so even if you've done this before, you still need to sign up again.) PLEASE mark down which day(s) you think you'll be attending to help me make the schedule.

Some things I discovered:
    - Dark Knight Rises will be playing on the IMAX at the Pacific Science Center on the days we're there. (Not included in standard admission price.)
    - The Ferris wheel site seems to be borked right now. But I found a review that says it opened the last week of June.

Buttons! Do you guys want MMT buttons again this year? I have no graphic abilities so, I'll need a volunteer to design them. Anyone have ideas for a design? Here are our button designs from 2011:
    3kpwzjw.jpg
    and 2010:
    MMT_button_final_design_by_Springheels_Jack.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • ccbostickccbostick Registered User regular
    wow. Lots of different chocolate tours this time around. And I *very* much appreciate you noting which ones take lots of walking. That impacts my decision-making a lot.

• MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    Buttons! Do you guys want MMT buttons again this year? I have no graphic abilities so, I'll need a volunteer to design them.

I'd be happy to do designs again if you guys decide to get buttons. I've gotten lots of experience with GIMP lately doing small design work.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not gonna be in this (sadly) but I do have an idea for the button design: Minecraft-style. There is no artistic juice in me whatsoever, but there some design ideas floating about.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • SarraSarra Registered User regular
    I'm going to come to one of the days, probably Wednesday.. I need to get in some shopping as well :) haha

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    The ferris wheel is definitely open, but the line has been pretty long every time I drive by, like "you're crazy if you think I'm waiting in that line" long. It's owned by Great Western Pacific - there might be a phone number to call and ask them if they take reservations? Or maybe if you go, try going a little earlier in the day?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    with luck the 'thrill' will be gone by the time of PAX, plus we'll be doing a weekday at it which should also lower the lines.

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Wow, this is great!
    A lot of choices this year! Gotta read up before I vote though!

I like CaptainTadpole's idea of a minecraft theme...
    Perhaps have the cityscape in 8 bit and have a minecraft character looking at it from afar?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    "Just one more panel..just one more Panel.." (play off 1 more brick)

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm getting in town earlier this year. So i have more time and i'd love to join up for a location or two. Wednesday probably. I signed up on voting page and currently reading/voting. :D

@MasterHelios I'd love if you designed the buttons again! You've done a great job on the past couple designs :)

Minecraft is a good idea. I was imagining some creepers heading to attack the Space Needle, but a person looking at the skyline would also work. Let's see what Helios can do for us.

HI3789R.png
    edited July 2012
    On August 1st (tomorrow), I'm going to call voting done. I'll look at the results then and start putting together the schedule. It would be wise to go back over your votes, adjust anything, and make sure your votes went through. There are least 2 people who signed up but have no votes recorded. Also, it says everyone who signed up is planning to attend all day, both days. I know this isn't true. Choosing your correct attendance day/times helps me put together a schedule you'll actually like!
    We are also still in need of a button. If anyone has any and a bit of time this week, I would be greatly appreciative if you could put something together for us!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'll be in town on Thursday and I'll have a buddy with me. Sounds like a good time.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @Punzie - This event is a lot of work to coordinate and arrange, especially so when you're doing it from another city on the other coast. Thank you for putting this together, being really well organized and working so hard every year to make sure it's a good time for all.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I get in sometime Thursday morning. I'm going to try to make it out to the second half of that day.

AN9buWz.png
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    Voted just so you know I'll be tagging along. It really doesn't matter to me where we go because I'll never convince you all to take me to the glorious Boeing factory. :p

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    @LTAcosta we can head out together if you like, see if we can get in the room early

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • jBusyjBusy Registered User regular
    Good news! I'll actually be able to be there on Thursday this year.

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Ravenger wrote: »
    @LTAcosta we can head out together if you like, see if we can get in the room early

That works for me. My flight lands at 10 I believe, so as soon as I can drop my stuff off, I can head out.

AN9buWz.png
  • dillendillen Registered User regular
    Put me in for some of this too -- First time at PAX, and I'll be there early Thursday morning. I want to maximize the awesome here. ^^

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    @punzie I'm sorry, neither me nor LewieP's Daddy have voted - I'm volunteering at the Olympics and so have been too busy, he's not got me at home to remind him. Would it be too late if we voted tomorrow? I'll have to phone him in the morning to remind him.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • T1GZT1GZ Kent, WARegistered User regular
    Count me in, even though I am a Seattle-ite I LOVE showing people around the town! Also if anyone is extreme sport inclined there is iFly in Tukwila. Indoor skydiving is AWESOME!

"I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!"

Guess the quote then send me a PM.
  • anaxareteanaxarete Registered User regular
    First time in Seattle, I'd love to tag along on Thursday if it's not too late to sign up!

• aneruokaneruok Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Going to Seattle for the 2nd time, and hoping to see more of Seattle. Visited the aquarium and pike place market last time.
    Myself and two friends are flying in Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and will need to pick up our tickets on Thursday, but are free otherwise.

Was going to try and figure out what to do with the downtime but I think I hit gold here.
    Would be awesome to spend the time getting to know other Pax attendees while visiting the area.

Btw. 30 year olds, hopefully not going to cramp anyone's style!

Edit: changed pier to pike place market and grammar

aneruok on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    aneruok wrote: »
    Going to Seattle for the 2nd time, and hoping to see more of Seattle. Visited the aquarium and pier last time.
    Myself and two friends are flying in Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and will need to pick up our tickets on Thursday, but are free otherwise.

Was going to try and figure out what to do with the downtime but I think I hit gold here.
    Would be awesome to spend getting to know other Pax attendees while visiting the area.

Btw. 30 year olds, hopefully not going to cramp anyone's style!

I think the average age of forum community event goers is something like 28+ these days, with many MANY folks in their 30s and up. Not exactly an issue ;)

• mysticodemysticode Registered User regular
    Sign me up! I will be in town hopefully Thursday morning, so I am not exactly sure when you guys will be launching the event exactly.. but I plan to try to meetup with everyone for this.

This discussion has been closed.