5kewed Comic

dexteritytestdexteritytest Registered User new member
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner

dexteritytest on

• Options
    zollmaniaczollmaniac Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't get it.

Also, you need to find a comic font for your lettering. Unless you're going to take it to a draftsman level of lettering, you shouldn't do it by hand. I suggest blambot.com for some good, free fonts to start out with. Also keep in mind that people read from right to left and top to bottom. Plan out your word bubbles accordingly. Speaking of word bubbles, keep in mind that white space is your friend. You're cramming in too much in too small of a space.

zollmaniac on
  • Options
    Thanks. The words are not actually hand-drawn. They are a comic font. Are they too hard to read?
    As for the cramming I felt the same way when I was drawing this up. I like the way the cards look like they are laid out on the table, But to me it seemed like there was too much text to get in there.

Do you have any suggestions for how I could make this particular strip work without it being too crowded?

To explain the comic a tad: It is a group of people playing the board game Mansions of Madness. One player is the "keeper" who controls the game and the remaining players work cooperatively to solve the mystery and win the game (kind of like Clue on steroids!). It is a really fun game. As you can see, the players were all agreeing to move toward the next clue until Michael McGlen received a clue stating he would win if the keeper won. So he betrays his teammates and tries to lead them in the wrong direction.

... It's a long winded explanation. But if you had played Mansions before, or a similar co-op tabletop game you'd get the joke.

• Options
    Also, I think what you mean to say is people read from left to right and top to bottom. And yeah, I see what you are saying. The dialogue doesn't flow correctly. I will have to fix that!

• Options
    Did I say right to left? Curses! I always get those wrong. In real life, I simply point and that's enough. ;) Glad you got what I meant regardless.

I would consider splitting up the sequence of events into more than panels. Each panel should really only display one action. The first panel could be the team deciding where to go with the cards handed out in the second. Maybe showing micheal initially agreeing (maybe he speaks those first lines) and the reversal would be a bit more obvious.

As far as the font goes, I guess it looks hand written because of the varying size of the font. You should try to keep a consistent size and use bold/italics to emphasize words.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    if you need to explain a joke, it's not a good joke

keep that in mind for the next one

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    While I get your point, I also think most humor has a particular demographic. This particular script just happened to be people who play tabletop games. :lol:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    As long as your intended audience gets it, then you're fine! Even if I was the intended, not every joke is going to be a homerun. For instance, I've been a fan of PA for many years and plenty of their strips just went over my head, but others loved them.

The key is to dish out the joke so it's easy to read and not filled with unneccessary information. What I got more from this comic was an introduction of characters and not that they were really playing a game exactly. Really, the only card that is important for us to see is the one that makes the joke (micheal's card).

zollmaniac on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Man I love that game. I remember when I got taken over by the keeper and threw an ax at my brother's face.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Is there a reason for the original post being stripped out?