As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally! New map time! [MINECRAFT]!

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've figured out what I want to do next, and it might have to wait for the next map, but maybe not. This time I will need help, possibly from The Good Doctor Tran:

Ravnica.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    WuShock wrote: »
    I've figured out what I want to do next, and it might have to wait for the next map, but maybe not. This time I will need help, possibly from The Good Doctor Tran:

Ravnica.

Fuck yeah, I'd be down for that.

edit: wait, wouldn't that take up an entire map? You know, the endless city and all that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I just CANNOT do the kinds of ridiculous resource gathering some of you folks get upto.

Especially sand. I'm worried I'm going to make a big, hideous pock-mark on the worldmap or something.

I mine my sand from the ocean floor, which pretty much nobody is ever going to see. There's an absolutely massive amount of sand and clay on the seafloor that no one is ever going to go after, though I know not everyone has the luxury of having an ocean nearby. Or a Respiration helmet.

I didn't know respiration helmets were a thing. I could get into that actually.

• dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    I just CANNOT do the kinds of ridiculous resource gathering some of you folks get upto.

Especially sand. I'm worried I'm going to make a big, hideous pock-mark on the worldmap or something.

I mine my sand from the ocean floor, which pretty much nobody is ever going to see. There's an absolutely massive amount of sand and clay on the seafloor that no one is ever going to go after, though I know not everyone has the luxury of having an ocean nearby. Or a Respiration helmet.

I didn't know respiration helmets were a thing. I could get into that actually.

aqua effinity? affinity? helmets. you can also use wooden doors (i think it still works) to makle air pockets, and jackolanterns for lighting.

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Aqua Affinity is something I've never actually gotten myself : (

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Aqua affinity lets you mine faster while in water, Respiration lengthens the time you can stay underwater.
    Signs also work for air pockets, ladders will work if there are block there to attach them to. If there's a block nearby at head height you can stand next to it and put a torch on it, the torch will pop off almost immediately but the air pocket lasts long enough to refill your air supply.

Mining faster underwater is probably the best enchant outside of pick enchants >.>

• NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    Has anyone created sealab? Because I feel like I need to create pod six, and then blow it up.

Because pod six is jerks.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Ravnica.

Sounds neat, would need a lot of bricks though.

• apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    Ravnica sounds like it involves ravines and being elsewhere other than on the surface.

IM DOWN. EDUCATE ME.

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Ravnica sounds like it involves ravines and being elsewhere other than on the surface.

IM DOWN. EDUCATE ME.

Well it actually largely involves above ground. Its a universe in magic the gathering and its a planet wide city rules by 10 guilds.

hLeTR.png
  • Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »

For the record it was I that built a lot of the sewers under the original village. That pit didn't take too long if I remember correctly. Just a night or two.

• JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    Aqua Affinity is something I've never actually gotten myself : (

I've gotten it a bunch with low level enchantments on iron helms.... But it was just aqua affinity.
    Also: Just looking up and bucketing the water above you gives you a pocket of air, but then the water fills it back up, leaving no current behind.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »

IM DOWN. EDUCATE ME.

Well it actually largely involves above ground. Its a universe in magic the gathering and its a planet wide city rules by 10 guilds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravnica:_City_of_Guilds

JtgVX0H.png
  • HofstaHofsta The Coolest Ever New YorkRegistered User regular
    Super massive themed guild city would be super cool. Next spawn on new map maybe?

Hofsta needs employment.

www.retroveractive.com
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Been playing the 360 version and can't find clay anywhere. Even after the update.

• mohnsolomohnsolo Registered User regular

Ravnica.

Yes please.

6CIpp.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Hofsta wrote: »
    Super massive themed guild city would be super cool. Next spawn on new map maybe?

Hmm

I'd help with that

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    So.... I guess I'm planning a Ravnica build!

Srsly, tho...this needs to be huge; like several biomes huge. I would think at the very least we should have plains, extreme hills, swamp, and jungle represented. And there will need to be multiple ravines that we can use/expose to build around. It won't be a quick build, and I'm the person who spent four months on one building.

Everyone who's interested, do a google search for "Ravnica guilds" and do a GIS search for Ravnica art. Start thinking about what guilds you'd like to belong to/work on.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Been playing the 360 version and can't find clay anywhere. Even after the update.

Did you start a new map?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    I was gonna say Boros represent, but Orzhov or Izzet sounds like more fun to build around.

jrrClpr.gif
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Has anyone created sealab? Because I feel like I need to create pod six, and then blow it up.

Because pod six is jerks.

I'm creating something very similar next map, but don't let that stop you.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Hmm... I have more a planescape background. Any chance we can do something Ravnica-like?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    If memory serves, the Ravnica lands—particularly the Izzet ones—had quite a few waterfalls coming out of buildings. That seems like it'd be fun to build. And Dimir stuffing secret rooms/passages into everyone else's buildings could be super cool, but I'm not nearly adept enough with redstone to adequately hide stuff.

seeking red stone mechanic to build secret door in my home in the the underground city.

• IsaIsa Registered User regular
    Not so secret now ;)

its not meant to be a secret.

So.... I guess I'm planning a Ravnica build!

Srsly, tho...this needs to be huge; like several biomes huge. I would think at the very least we should have plains, extreme hills, swamp, and jungle represented. And there will need to be multiple ravines that we can use/expose to build around. It won't be a quick build, and I'm the person who spent four months on one building.

Everyone who's interested, do a google search for "Ravnica guilds" and do a GIS search for Ravnica art. Start thinking about what guilds you'd like to belong to/work on.

The biomes thing might be a problem - I have a suspicion we were going to go for the extra large biomes - having that combination might be quite rare!

also, ravines can be... arranged ;D (dug out by the sweat of our brows)

I was in the airport and saw a magazine on modern architecture. Then after I heard my name being called for the flight I was about to miss I realized I had spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to do all those awesome things in Minecraft.

Time well spent.

Definitely time well spent.

Personally I can't wait for 1.3 to come out so I can play a new survival type map, with things shaken up a little. Want to go to the End again ^_^

What are the big additions other than breaking pistons?

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Yes, speaking of new maps, are we going to a new one at 1.3 or not? I'm kinda leery about starting big projects if it's going to disappear in a month anyway, and thinking about that has been sapping my energy to show up. I could definitely live with keeping Newlurf running for a while longer.

1.3 Patch notes in the spoiler for you Norman.
    Note : Very few references are provided here since most of this content has been directly released in weekly snapshots 12w15a to 12w27a.

General

Improved overall stability and performance
    Reduced CPU, RAM & bandwidth usage
    Accelerated chunk loading
    Made Singleplayer internally use a Multiplayer server[1][2]
    Decreased world saving intervals
    Added optional single-player commands called "Cheats" on non-hardcore worlds[3]
    Type / and then hit tab to autocomplete & get help on various commands
    Most commands from MP are available
    Added option to let LAN friends join SP games
    You can choose which gamemode players join in and whether they are allowed to use cheats
    Added demo mode for non-premium users[3]
    Lasts 5 game days per world
    Added chat options
    Change which parts of chat are shown and how opaque it is
    Toggle chat colors, links being clickable and warning prompts for links
    Option to rebind the command key, which opens the chat with / in the textfield
    Mobs can now spawn on top slabs and upside down stairs
    Improved F3 mode:
    Truncated coordinates to 5 fractional digits
    Removed frame rendering time history graph (bottom-left)
    3 new values:
    ws: Walking speed (constant)
    fs: Flying speed (constant)
    g: Boolean value, true when you touch the ground
    Updated language files
    Added tooltips for all types of Monster Egg blocks and the End Portal Frame
    Added more descriptive tooltips for different types of tree-related blocks, sandstone and stone bricks[4]
    Localized server commands
    Added missing commands-related strings
    Added missing double chest GUI caption
    Fixed many bugs
    Fixed texture packs in folders not showing their icon and description
    Fixed Man-in-the-middle attack allowing hackers to log in as you when you visit their server
    Fixed the Open texturepack folder button not working on OS X

Gameplay

Added Adventure mode[5]
    Only playable using commands
    Building, setting things on fire and using buckets is disabled
    Players can only interact with mobs and the environment
    Added trading[6]
    Using emerald as currency, villagers will, depending on profession, offer different trades to players
    There are three kinds of trades: Selling, buying and enchanting
    As displayed in the top-most part of the trading GUI, villagers take one or more items or item stacks and give back something
    After trading, villagers will sometimes emit purple particles for a few seconds to indicate that their trades changed
    Otherwise unobtainable bottles o' enchanting and chainmail armor can be obtained by trading
    Improved Creative mode inventory
    There are categorized tabs for various groups of items and blocks
    Added a search tab which will automatically be switched to when the chat key is hit
    Added survival inventory tab, which shows the full inventory, a 'Destroy item' slot, armor slots including a preview of your character and a 2x2 crafting field
    Items can now be deleted from the inventory by shift-clicking them
    Added layered snow block, Monster Egg Blocks (Silverfish spawning blocks), Ender Portal frame and all potions[7]
    Now shows potion effects' timers like in Survival
    Improved experience collection
    Depending on ore type, experience now drops from ores that drop items
    Taking smelted items out of furnaces gives experience now
    Destroying mob spawners gives experience now
    Adjusted experience level progression:
    Levels 1-15 cost 17 XP points each
    Levels 16-30 cost 3 more XP points than the previous (cost = 17 + (level - 15) * 3)
    Levels 31-∞ cost 7 more XP points than the previous (cost = 62 + (level - 30) * 7)
    Improved enchanting
    The new maximum level with bookshelves is 30, without 8
    15 bookshelves are enough to reach level 30
    The 3rd slot shows the most expensive possible enchantment more often
    Increased chances for multiple enchantments at once
    Adjusted enchantments' to go with the new maximum level
    Added writing in books
    New crafting recipe for books: 3 pieces of paper and one piece of leather in any possible shape
    New item: Book and Quill - Crafting recipe: 1 ink sac, 1 feather and 1 book in any possible shape
    Right-click to write on & edit up to 50 pages or read
    Click 'Done' to save the book, 'Sign' to choose a title and finalize the book
    Improved Multiplayer
    Made entities less likely to glitch through blocks
    Added automagical downloading of standard sized texture packs when joining servers
    Made server commands more descriptive
    Added reason parameter to /ban
    Added /seed command to show the map seed
    Added /defaultgamemode command to choose the gamemode new players start in
    Added /debug command to enable and disable profiling
    /kick messages can now contain "\n" to force a new line
    Blocks other players are mining now show cracks[8]
    /tp can now be used to teleport to specific coordinates
    Made server list re-orderable: shift+click or shift+arrow keys move selected servers
    Server list now scans for LAN servers
    Added hardcore difficulty: Players are banned upon death[9]
    Added & changed many minor things
    Individual, stackable items near each other on the ground now become one item stack
    Added shift clicking support to armor slots, brewing stands & enchantment tables
    Added setting to disable servers offering you texture packs
    Made the stars smaller and brighter[10]
    Villagers spawned from spawn eggs will get a random profession now
    Removed the downwards knockback while drowning
    Doors being broken by zombies now show their damage
    You now spawn with an empty inventory in Creative mode
    The "Mojang" splash screen when opening the game appears for 1 instead of 3 seconds now
    The sky color in the End changed
    Improved the Pick Block key
    You now get the actual block
    You can now pick paintings, boats, minecarts and mobs, which will give you their spawn eggs
    Picking huge mushroom blocks now gives mushrooms
    You can no longer pick portal blocks
    Fixed many bugs
    Fixed flying slowly in liquids
    Fixed blocks with the same id but different data/damage values stacking in Creative inventory
    Fixed boats & minecarts not being one-hit breakable in Creative
    Fixed raw fish, dyes, saddles, potions, milk buckets and tools depleting in Creative
    Fixed water destroying non-solid blocks when breaking them from above
    Fixed Silk touch giving you only one slab from double slabs
    Fixed redstone updates not propagating through unloaded chunks[11]
    Fixed repeaters getting stuck when loading their chunk
    Fixed tools taking damage when breaking insta-breakable blocks
    Fixed ender pearls and eyes of ender not being aligned in the inventory
    Fixed the arrow representing players on held maps being offset
    Fixed being able to duplicate sand, gravel and powered rail
    Fixed placing a piston in front of another powered, but not extended one resulting in a glitched piston with the head's texture on all sides
    Fixed TNT dropping as a resource on creative mode
    Fixed powering specifically glitched pistons crashing the game
    Fixed many Multiplayer bugs
    Fixed arrows scooting up to the top of the block they were shot on
    Fixed endermen not opening their jaws
    Fixed fully charged arrows not showing their particle effect
    Fixed many sounds not playing[12][13][14][15]
    Fixed magma cubes' and slimes' jumping animations not showing
    Fixed thunderstorms not darkening the sky
    Fixed weather not fading in or out
    Fixed enchanted armor and tools not glowing to other players
    Fixed explosions not pushing players back
    Fixed TNT not knocking back players
    Fixed pistons not pushing back players
    Fixed players on minecarts, boats or pigs and spider jockeys not being displayed in the correct location
    Fixed glitchy mob prediction[16]
    Fixed fishing lines not showing[14][17]

World Generation

Made sub-biome type mountains like Desert Hills or Ice Mountains taller
    Made cocoa beans appear on some small jungle trees
    Added optional starting chest on non-hardcore worlds[3]
    Contents: wooden & stone tools, bread, apples, logs, planks and sticks
    Added large biomes world type, increasing biome sizes immensely[4]
    Added desert-specific villages
    Added Desert Temples
    Built out of various kinds of sandstone and wool
    Include hidden chest room and TNT trap, with loot including rotten flesh, bones, iron ingots and gold ingots, diamonds and emeralds
    Added Jungle Temples
    Built out of various kinds of cobblestone
    Contain multiple tripwire traps triggering dispensers filled with arrows
    Loot chests include bones, rotten flesh, gold ingots, iron ingots, diamonds and emeralds
    Added emerald ore
    Only generates in Extreme Hills biomes
    Occurs up to 8 times per chunk in veins of 1
    Generates between layers 4 and 31, inclusive

Blocks & Items

Emerald Ore
    Drops Emerald
    Emerald
    Is used to trade with villagers
    Block of Emerald[18]
    Crafted by putting 9 emeralds on a crafting table
    Ender Chest
    Crafted by surrounding an eye of ender with 8 pieces of obsidian
    Stores each player's contents across dimensions and all Ender Chests
    Contents are preserved even if all Ender Chests are destroyed
    Explosion-resistant
    Emits light and purple particles
    Unless mined using a Silk Touch-enchanted pickaxe, they drop 8 obsidian[19]
    Tripwire Hook[20][21]
    String in between needs to be placed manually[22]
    Breaking the string triggers a redstone signal, cutting it using shears doesn't
    Entities like boats, mobs, arrows or players touching the string trigger a redstone signal[23]
    String can be up to 40 blocks long[23]
    Crafting recipe: Iron ingot on top of a stick on top of a wooden plank
    String
    Can now be placed on the ground decoratively
    Furnaces
    Can be fueled by wooden tools now
    Return an empty bucket when using lava buckets as fuel now
    Ice
    Instead of melting in the nether, it now disappears
    Can be obtained using Silk Touch-enchanted gear now[24]
    Glass Panes
    Can be obtained using Silk Touch-enchanted gear now[25]
    Nether portal
    Leaks into the Overworld now: Depending on difficulty, zombie pigmen rarely spawn in them
    Slabs
    Added all wood types
    Wooden slabs crafted after the update act like wood
    Will now be top slabs when placed on the upper half of a block's side
    When placed upside down, rails, pressure plates, levers, doors, torches, redstone torches, repeaters, redstone dust and beds can be placed on them - Redstone dust behaves like on glowstone - It transmits power horizontally and upwards, but not downwards. Redstone torches don't power redstone placed on slabs/stairs above them.
    Stairs
    Added Sandstone Stairs
    Added wooden stairs for all kinds of wood
    Adjusted hitbox
    When placed upside down, rails, pressure plates, levers, doors, torches, redstone torches, repeaters, redstone dust and beds can be placed on them - Redstone dust behaves like on glowstone - It transmits power horizontally and upwards, but not downwards. Redstone torches don't power redstone placed on slabs/stairs above them.
    Leaves
    Water slowly drips through them when it's raining
    Cauldrons
    Slowly fill up when it's raining
    Dispensers
    Minecarts & boats will now be placed if there's rails/water in place
    Instead of dispensing buckets, dispensers will now suck in or place water or lava in front of them
    Gravel
    Changed texture
    Jungle leaves
    Have a 1/200 chance to drop a cocoa bean when destroyed now
    Lever
    Can be placed on the ceiling now
    Wooden pressure plates
    Are triggered by arrows now
    Pistons
    Now take 0.2 seconds to expand
    Cocoa beans
    Retextured item
    Can be planted & grown on jungle wood now
    Can be grown instantly using bone meal
    Cookies
    Give a full hunger point now
    Nether Warts
    Can now be grown in the Overworld and in the End
    Book
    Changed crafting recipe: 3 pieces of paper and one piece of leather in any possible shape
    Book and Quill
    Crafting recipe: 1 ink sac, 1 feather and 1 book in any possible shape
    See above for more information
    Written Book
    Can only be obtained by signing a Book and Quill
    Can be sold to villagers
    Empty buckets
    Stack up to 16 now[26][27]
    Stacked buckets work just like stacked glass bottles do
    Signs
    Stack up to 16 now
    Crafting now gives 3 signs instead of 1
    Golden Apple[28]
    Has two crafting recipes now, the new one replacing gold nuggets with gold blocks
    Second tier gives Regeneration IV, Resistance and Fire resistance effects
    Only second tier glows like enchanted tools
    Has attributes the Golden Apple had before 1.1[29]
    Spawners
    Added NBT tags to further customize spawned mobs
    Only changeable using map editors or mods
    Boats
    Are not broken by lilypads anymore, instead they run straight through the lilypad now, breaking and sometimes dropping it
    Are less glitchy and more responsive now
    Increased maximum speed
    When exiting, players will be moved from the boat
    When broken, they drop a boat now
    Minecarts
    When on rails, they can be accelerated a bit while sitting in them
    When exiting, players will be moved from the minecart

Mobs

Pigs
    Drop 1-3 meat now
    Slimes
    Reduced spawn rate in superflat maps
    Silverfish
    When suffering from poison potions, they will now spawn more silverfish from nearby silverfish blocks more often
    Creepers & Spiders
    Become aggressive towards the last mob or player that hit them now[30][31]
    Skeletons, Creepers & Zombies
    Become neutral against players again a few seconds after being hit in Creative

Mayabird wrote: »
    Yes, speaking of new maps, are we going to a new one at 1.3 or not? I'm kinda leery about starting big projects if it's going to disappear in a month anyway, and thinking about that has been sapping my energy to show up. I could definitely live with keeping Newlurf running for a while longer.

We haven't decided when a new map is coming yet, except that it wont be before 1.3. It will also depend on how long it takes bukkit to get a 1.3 stable release build out, and for all our core plugins to update. Even though 1.3 is landing august 1st I don't except to see 1.3 on the server for 3-4 weeks.

hLeTR.png

We haven't decided when a new map is coming yet, except that it wont be before 1.3. It will also depend on how long it takes bukkit to get a 1.3 stable release build out, and for all our core plugins to update. Even though 1.3 is landing august 1st I don't except to see 1.3 on the server for 3-4 weeks.

and likely also depends on weather 1.3 will break the map were on or not right?

By the time we get 1.3 updated, this map is likely to be a year old.

Thats quite an achievement but I also am slightly sick of it, I don't know about anyone else ;)

and likely also depends on weather 1.3 will break the map were on or not right?

It wont break it, the only times maps have broken are when mojang changes the save file format for map regions but even then the game/server is able to convert them to the new format.

hLeTR.png
  • SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I was gonna point out how stuff like this has been done before and player collision will be buggy, but player collisions seem pretty slick in this one. Still a little floaty but much better than anything done before.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    How often do you guys do a map reset?

I find the prospect frightening. Like, all my work, gone? :(

This discussion has been closed.