As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Toying with Dual Monitors...

nessinnessin Registered User regular
I've got brief access to a second monitor that I thought I'd play with by attaching it to my main PC and seeing if it was worth it to go for a dual monitor setup. However I've got one question I haven't been able to find an answer for:

If I have an application that is putting the desktop environment in the background, but only runs on one screen, is there any way I can shift my control back to the desktop environment without bringing the full desktop environment back to the foreground? For example, I want to play X3 full screen on my primary display and have my second monitor showing the universe map of X3. If I have X3 on my primary display and the map on my secondary display, is there any way I can manipulate the browser with the map open without alt-tabbing so I lose the X3 window on my main display?

Edit:
Also is there a shortcut to shift a window from one screen to the next? Or do you just have to manually drag it over?

nessin on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Only if the game supports fullscreen windowed non-exclusive input, which I am going to guess X3 does not. Most games only support part of that equation (fullscreen windowed), but not the other (non-exclusive input).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Windows Key + Arrow Keys move windows around, so to get it over to the secondary monitor (in this example on the right), in hit Windows + Right arrow twice (once to move it to the right of the 1st monitor, once to move it to the left of the 2nd monitor) then Windows + Up Arrow once (to maximize it in the 2nd monitor).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I actually didn't know about that shortcut, that's super handy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Just wanted to wish you good luck "toying" with dual monitors, you're never going to want to go back after your experiment. :D

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Just wanted to wish you good luck "toying" with dual monitors, you're never going to want to go back after your experiment. :D
    Truth. Hell, the only thing stopping me from "toying" with a 3rd monitor is my infernal tiny desk.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I really need to get a second monitor happening. I just have to sort out some proper wall mounts because I too suffer from small deskitis

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I, on the other hand, keep thinking I need to add a third monitor, because my full and manly desk looks so...empty.

Problem is that I can't add a third type of monitor, because nerd-OCD won't allow it. So I'd have to find either a second monitor that matches my current secondary, or just scrap that one and add two new cheap monitors.

EDIT: Obviously, it's implied that my current two monitors do not match...I've got a 24" primary and a 20" secondary. Which my nerd-OCD will allow, because the secondary is a different size. If I had two non-matching 24" monitors? No good.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I started using dual monitors in 1999 or 2000 as a kind of 'hey this is kind of a neat trick' thing. I've never not had 2 monitors since. God help me while I'm at work and only have the one 17", it's fucking killing me.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I, on the other hand, keep thinking I need to add a third monitor, because my full and manly desk looks so...empty.

Problem is that I can't add a third type of monitor, because nerd-OCD won't allow it. So I'd have to find either a second monitor that matches my current secondary, or just scrap that one and add two new cheap monitors.

EDIT: Obviously, it's implied that my current two monitors do not match...I've got a 24" primary and a 20" secondary. Which my nerd-OCD will allow, because the secondary is a different size. If I had two non-matching 24" monitors? No good.

Thinking about picking up a third. Fortunately, the two I have are identical 24 inch 1080p monitors, so I'm thinking about getting something larger that puts up 1920x1200 and put it right in the middle.

• Options
    See, at work I have dual monitors and that's why I'm getting a bit frustrated at home. I'm thinking somewhere between 17-20" @1920x1080.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No Tef.

6monitors2.jpg

• Options
    Fuck yeah. I wonder if the screen borders would be a pain in the arse though.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That's the thing that makes me think a single 1600p 30 inch monitor would be a better idea.

Until bezels are only a couple of millimetres thick, it would be far too much of a distraction for my eyes.

EDIT: Or a super high resolution projector, 2k or 4k. So many pixels...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    It would probably be better but that shit is expensive as fuck.

Honestly, maybe I should just get a cheap, low res second screen so I can have the forums/movie open while I game on the main screen...

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    It would probably be better but that shit is expensive as fuck.

Honestly, maybe I should just get a cheap, low res second screen so I can have the forums/movie open while I game on the main screen...

Well yeah, that's what I use two monitors for. I'm not spanning anything across them. Like, when I'm playing a game I might have my GPU monitor, Steam friends list, and Mumble open in the secondary, so that I can just glance over at them. If I'm playing around in my music recorder, I can have something like Amplitube open in the secondary. My secondary is just a cheap 1600x900 monitor, but it's still a huge increase in real estate for secondary windows and such.

• Options
    Honestly, I wish more games would do cool things with second monitors, like World in Conflict did. If you had a secnodary monitor you could use it as a full-screen map. Nothing ridiculously fancy, and not a huge hit to FPS, but still putting it to good use.

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    For a while I was fooling around with a setup where the minimap in Starcraft 2 was displayed (full sized) on a secondary display (capturing the minimap with virtual webcam software, and displaying it through KMPlayer on the other display, I think.) It was a bit stuttery but I'm sure I could have resolved that by trying a couple other ways of doing it. I quit working on it as people didn't like the idea --for fair reasons: having the minimap that large right in your peripheral vision basically meant you didn't have to check the minimap constantly and instantly became aware any time enemy units were in sight. Close enough to modifying the game to not be considered fair in multiplayer.

I'd really like it if games had options for taking advantage of multiple displays too :(.

Erik
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That would certainly be neat if they did.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I have a three-monitor setup at home, all rotated vertically and joined via eyefinity so it's a single surface of 3200x1980 or so. It is glorious.

For the OP, if this is on Steam, you can use the Steam browser, which is a quick shift-tab away and generally breaks things less than alt-tab

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Multiple monitors are neat, but ultimately I am having an easier user experience with just using one Apple cinema display rather than 3 monitors, for the reasons Chrishallett has mentioned.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    1) wow that costs more than all three of mine did together
    2) no matte. MY EYES!

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    You think that 6 screen setup is ridiculous? I have a 120" projection screen (1080p)as my primary monitor with a 40" LCD (1080p) mounted on the wall to the left (with a swivel/tilt) as a secondary. It's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The only thing that I kind of want to do that would top it is 3 120" projection screens in a 3 "monitor" setup.

And it cost less than $2k for all of it (including surround sound system and receiver.)

I basically got the 40" for $8. It was broken when i got it for free, and it just had two bad capacitors on the power control board that I replaced and it was good to go.

• Options
    The problem I find is that the pixels get too big at that size, you want an ever-increasing resolution, not just physical size. Basically means you have to sit farther away to keep it from looking like crap

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that he's not sitting 4' away from that setup. Probably couch distance...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52ns7w4tz6kq48k/WP_000235.jpg

I run that setup, and at 4-5' it's basically the inside recommended distance going by recommended viewing distances. A tiny bit of math can help determine if you've gone too far.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    you are correct dehumanized. I sit about 12 feet from the 120" (with a second couch behind at about 18 feet) and about 5 or 6 feet from the 40". I do wish it could go to a resolution like 1600x1200 but I haven't seen any affordable projectors that support that. I really wish I had a receiver with dual outputs, but those are pretty pricey.

That samsung you have looks exactly like my 40". Good stuff.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Phyphor wrote: »
    2) no matte. MY EYES!

eh, worth it, for the gorgeous screen display quality. The Dell U2711 and 3011s are IPS with matte if that's your thing.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    you are correct dehumanized. I sit about 12 feet from the 120" (with a second couch behind at about 18 feet) and about 5 or 6 feet from the 40". I do wish it could go to a resolution like 1600x1200 but I haven't seen any affordable projectors that support that. I really wish I had a receiver with dual outputs, but those are pretty pricey.

That samsung you have looks exactly like my 40". Good stuff.

You should post pics, I always like to see people's projector setups. I have a 120" screen, Epson 8350 for the pj. We really only use it for blu-rays and big sporting events though, no PC hooked up to it. My "office" is off the main room and has a 23" Acer and 24" dual monitor display with a 27" LCD off to the side just for watching everyday TV while I'm at work.
    photobucket-7799-1336534613233.jpg

photobucket-16597-1336534756489.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am so getting a projector once I get a house. Fucking home theater up the ass.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    2) no matte. MY EYES!

eh, worth it, for the gorgeous screen display quality. The Dell U2711 and 3011s are IPS with matte if that's your thing.

I have Asus PA238Qs

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The 6-monitor setup has a trillion more pixels than anything 1080p

it's like the iPad 1 and the new one.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    But when the screens are that small, what's the point unless you are burying your face in them?

• Options
    But when the screens are that small, what's the point unless you are burying your face in them?

What small? Where? I'm currently using a single 19 inch monitor, about 3 feet from the screen to my face. Six of them at the same distance would just about fill my peripheral vision.

I'm looking forward to upgrading to a single 24 inch 1920x1200. Maybe a 27 inch if I can stretch that far...