As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Day Z] Like a Japanese game show, where the prize is breaking your legs.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Torgairon wrote: »
    yeah the item duping is simply out of control, even random new spawns with double barrel shotguns usually have NVGs. every single server's cherno and elektro has at least 2 as50 snipers, one just nailed me outside balota after I triumphed over the deathmatch in cherno with 6 murders and spent 15 minutes going around the north expanse of hills bordering the city specifically so it wouldn't happen.

no worries though, I alt+F4'd because fuck you sniper and my bleeding magically stopped after 8k blood loss and 5 full minutes of unconsciousness.

edit: a zombie started chewing on me through a wall while I was tabbed out and still waking up. GG
    Alt-F4ing is a shitty fucking thing to do.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    yeah the item duping is simply out of control, even random new spawns with double barrel shotguns usually have NVGs. every single server's cherno and elektro has at least 2 as50 snipers, one just nailed me outside balota after I triumphed over the deathmatch in cherno with 6 murders and spent 15 minutes going around the north expanse of hills bordering the city specifically so it wouldn't happen.

no worries though, I alt+F4'd because fuck you sniper and my bleeding magically stopped after 8k blood loss and 5 full minutes of unconsciousness.

edit: a zombie started chewing on me through a wall while I was tabbed out and still waking up. GG
    Alt-F4ing is a shitty fucking thing to do.

No, see, it's okay because he was being shot at by someone!

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    lawl, my bad for using tactics and flanking in cherno to gank an entire party with my subpar weaponry and then saying fuck you to duped as50 sniper #1205921 prone up on a hill waiting for his chance to pick up a kill with one click. I wasted even more of my time from sitting in unconsciousness and dying anyway by bothering to do it at all, but I guess I'm supposed to feel terribly that the guy with the as50 didn't get to loot my kobra and lee enfield - I'm sure he needed them.

it wasn't even a preemptive alt + F4, I'd already been shot and the scoreboard was on my screen. I had no expectations that I'd be doing anything but starting over or corpse running until I logged in on the next server and I was looking at the hourglass. I don't expect a badge of valor for saying I ditched a gunfight, but just how much reverence do you hold AS50 balota gankers in?

No, see, it's okay because he was being shot at by someone!

this is some tiresome gooseshit, I wouldn't have gotten the six prior murders if this was literally true and I probably wouldn't have under -100k humanity if the only gunfights I'd ever undertaken were guaranteed wins. also some irony there, being that in none of the gunfights I'd had prior to being sniped I had anywhere near any degree of safety, where yonder sniper certainly did.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    You don't know that guy had a duped weapon. People went down to the coast to snipe people long before duping became common. I've been denied too many legit kills to ever agree with alt-F4ing (unless blatant hacking is going one).

• Options
    I don't find it a particularly savory practice either and reserve it for hacks/literally unwinnable situations where there's entire squads bearing down on me, but the situation I described wasn't really analogous to your typical alt + F4 scenario because by the time I heard the AS50 shot, realized I was in the middle of a field and said "you know...honestly, I enjoy living, and man I'm tired of dying to as50 snipers that are likely running around with duped gear...", I was already hit and on the ground. I guess you can snag me at intent because, yeah, I was going to leave but the dupe situation plays a large part in how willing I am to accept constant sniper 1-shots. if it was anywhere near a rare occurrence - the rarity implied by it being a gun from a crash site - I might have tried to play it out if he'd missed, but the cities are a goddamn cacophony of the unique AS50 firing sound and it's just so unbelievably irritating.

unfortunately, ammo crates and tents have ruined what should be a "whoa...I just got one-shot...?" experience and turned it into the baseline for city runs.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You don't even hear the AS50 from more than like 200m away. It's significantly quieter than a DMR/SVD and absolutely silent in comparison to the M107.

If dying is such a big deal that alt-F4ing becomes something that is justifiable in your mind, you need to stop playing DayZ. If duped weapons are such a big deal that in your mind being shot at by anything of higher quality than an AKM is unacceptable and an alt-F4 is justified, then you need to stop playing DayZ. If you don't like the fact that there are sniper rifles that will kill you in one hit and there is nothing you can do about it, then you need to stop playing DayZ.

The only time an alt-F4 is ever something that isn't shitty to do is when you get teleported by a script to a location. That's it.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    If dying is such a big deal that alt-F4ing becomes something that is justifiable in your mind, you need to stop playing DayZ. If duped weapons are such a big deal that in your mind being shot at by anything of higher quality than an AKM is unacceptable and an alt-F4 is justified, then you need to stop playing DayZ. If you don't like the fact that there are sniper rifles that will kill you in one hit and there is nothing you can do about it, then you need to stop playing DayZ.

The only time an alt-F4 is ever something that isn't shitty to do is when you get teleported by a script to a location. That's it.

"I don't agree with you, stop playing." lol, 'kay.

let's take these in order:

1) most of the time dying isn't a big deal, occasionally it can be - context is kind of important. if, for instance, you've spent the last week or so of off-and-on play getting as50'd at least once a play session, it might become a point of contention. even then you don't have to alt + F4 and I play out a given scenario far more than I just throw my hands up, but apparently one instance is enough to condemn you utterly, even if you aren't advocating it for every scenario.

2) I care about absolutely no weapon duping but M107/AS50 duping and its thermal cousin, because one-shot snipers have a painfully imbalanced risk vs. reward relationship and a similarly imbalanced effort vs. reward relationship. point with duped rangefinder, zero, click, dead. again, if the weapon was at all rare these days and if it allowed any room for reactive action - other snipers have at least the tiny chance that you can get to cover and bandage - it wouldn't be as infuriating and also be something I feel qualifies as an excuse. I understand if you think the concept of emotional reaction to the vidya gaems is silly but, well, there are plenty of us.

3) I covered your third statement, so I just want to mention again how awkward I find your proposition that I stop playing because occasionally I decide that, in a game with griefers and assholes a-plenty, there exists the rare situation where there is simply no inherent value in continuing to play out a scenario. yes, it's a survival horror sim, but it's also a game where I want to have fun, and subjecting myself to annoyance and setback in the name of immersion isn't always something I'm down for. (disclaimer: as immersive and realistic as snipers with high-powered rifles mercilessly slaughtering hapless survivors gets)

Torgairon on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I agree that the .50s are stupid and thermals especially so, but alt-F4ing because you don't like them isn't acceptable either way.

I get AS50'd all the time. It's whatever. It's not something I haven't personally done myself, so I don't complain about it. Just avoid the cities and Stary if it's a big deal to you.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I've been denied loot because of people alt-F4ing too many times to think it's an okay thing to do.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Chiming in to say alt+f4 is real fucking shitty

You brag about wasting dudes in cherno and then you got shot, only to alt+f4?

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I have alt-f4ed once. I joined a server and before the screen loaded I was shot.

Because for some reason the game thinks spawning at the coast would be fun.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Considering DayZ is such a horrendous wreck at the moment, I don't hold it against anybody for alt-F4ing out because they're sick of getting randomly sniped. I've never done that, but that's because if I get randomly killed, I just walk away from the game for a while because I don't have that much patience for that crap.

Maybe if DayZ wasn't a giant, nightmarish, barely-functional mess that heavily favored griefing and cheating over doing virtually anything else, maybe then it would make sense for alt-F4ing to be labelled universally crappy. But until DayZ actually becomes a real game that is possible to enjoy without every productive effort getting trampled by assholes, there's not much of a basis to condemn one behavior over another.

Heck, I applaud the move if it means denying some asshole sniper a bunch of gear. Griefing has completely flooded the game, so any move that griefs the griefers is thumbs-up in my book.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Griefing is understandable since the game is designed to incorporate that into it. If a dude wants to snipe me from so far away I never hear the gunshot, that's cool. That's a part of the in-game risk and I accept that fully.

I can't stand cheaters and hackers though, fuck those guys.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Tef wrote: »
    Chiming in to say alt+f4 is real fucking shitty

You brag about wasting dudes in cherno and then you got shot, only to alt+f4?

I really wasn't trying to brag so much as set the scene that I'd just come from: intense city pvp with low-mid tier weapons, not much to lose and generally pretty fun. more to the point, a much more level playing field, but it's not like I necessarily have a problem with the sniper mindset. I posted in the first place because the duping comments resonated with me, because they've created this ridiculous item inflation where you can find half a barracks loot table in one clear of a town, assuming you make it through without .50 calibre holes in you. I don't think I've been playing this game long enough for rose-colored glasses to have set in when I think back a month or two and remember far less issues with this sort of thing, especially in terms of volume.

anyway I kept playing after the snipe and had a pretty good session in terms of loot; went to the NW airfield at night and got my first ever airfield gank on some poor ghillied person running around with a silenced M4. the DMR seems to have a lock on the most versatile rifle that isn't a one-shot, with the automatic two levels of zoom and the NVG compatibility.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    I'm with you about the duping. Every man and his dog is packing an as50/dmr/the thermal scope one.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Considering DayZ is such a horrendous wreck at the moment, I don't hold it against anybody for alt-F4ing out because they're sick of getting randomly sniped. I've never done that, but that's because if I get randomly killed, I just walk away from the game for a while because I don't have that much patience for that crap.

Maybe if DayZ wasn't a giant, nightmarish, barely-functional mess that heavily favored griefing and cheating over doing virtually anything else, maybe then it would make sense for alt-F4ing to be labelled universally crappy. But until DayZ actually becomes a real game that is possible to enjoy without every productive effort getting trampled by assholes, there's not much of a basis to condemn one behavior over another.

Heck, I applaud the move if it means denying some asshole sniper a bunch of gear. Griefing has completely flooded the game, so any move that griefs the griefers is thumbs-up in my book.

The only posts I ever see you make about this game are you complaining about things that the game does not exhibit.

I mean sure, if you had a bad time with it, that's whatever. But it's not a "Giant, nightmarish, barely-functional mess" by any stretch of the imagination.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The only posts I ever see you make about this game are you complaining about things that the game does not exhibit.

I mean sure, if you had a bad time with it, that's whatever. But it's not a "Giant, nightmarish, barely-functional mess" by any stretch of the imagination.

By the standards of a real, working product, yes, it actually is a barely-functional mess. Rampant bugs, half-implemented design features, uncontrolled hacking, inconsistent performance, strange crashes, collision issues, and a slew of other problems. I've died far, far more often to game problems than other players, ranging from getting crushed by doorways to disappearing food to zombies clipping through buildings like nothing was there. DayZ is a barely-functional mess; that isn't even debatable. Literally, DayZ barely works; there's a steep learning curve just to figure out which bugs can get you killed/lose you gear/cripple you and how to avoid without even touching the rest of the gameplay. Heck, you can't even reliably put down a piece of equipment without fear of losing it while inventory shuffling, which in and of itself would be a game-breaking issue in any proper game.

I eagerly look forward to a proper retail version of DayZ, but what we have now is a crippled heap of problems. Saying it's otherwise is pure imagination. It's great that a slim handful of people have the time or patience to put up with the problems, but it's ridiculous to say that DayZ isn't a horrible tangle of issues or to tell people that they're imagining the extensive list of game issues that have gotten them killed or ruined a play session.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    yeah, pretty much. I just remind myself it's still in alpha, so it's hardly meant to be bug free

I get a warm fuzzy knowing I've helped bankroll a really great game idea. This is made all the sweeter by the fact I have Arma II and Arrowhead and now I'm looking at Track IR systems and rote learning bullet trajectories

I can understand why people frustrated at some of the bullshit that happens though. Ever since my team and I lost our camp with all our sweet weapons and vehicles, I've been playing the game a lot differently.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    yeah, pretty much. I just remind myself it's still in alpha, so it's hardly meant to be bug free

I get a warm fuzzy knowing I've helped bankroll a really great game idea. This is made all the sweeter by the fact I have Arma II and Arrowhead and now I'm looking at Track IR systems and rote learning bullet trajectories

I can understand why people frustrated at some of the bullshit that happens though. Ever since my team and I lost our camp with all our sweet weapons and vehicles, I've been playing the game a lot differently.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing to me. DayZ may be shit for quality and it may be an alpha, but it packed a wallop as a proof of concept. My two biggest concerns at this point is that the retail version will still be a broken, hacker-riddled mess or that the whole DayZ craze will turn out to be a short-lived thing. I really really hope those things don't happen, though, because retail DayZ is probably in my top 3 games I'm looking forward to in the next year or so.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    If you didn't die in one shot, and you heard that shot it wasn't an as50.

• Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    My Lingor don't work. I installed it through DayZ Commander, but when I start a game it loads for a while, then throws me back into the main menu. Didn't look if there was an error code or anything, but will do that when I get home from work.

Anyone else having similar issues ?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So while I was working on the helicopter the other night 4 people spawned in with gillie suits and some big honking rifles. I didn't even have time to react. Saw 3 guys in the helicopter, and apparently the 4th sniped me because I didn't even hear a gunshot.

Took my shit too, then fixed the copter and flew away.

Not sure if they were hacking because I went to go scavenge one last part and when I got back in 3 minutes the helicopter was completely repaired.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I attempted to play DayZ this weekend. First I attempted @wakkawa's server, but I loaded in to a black and grey mess. I walked maybe 30 feet and I think I died to a zombie. It was black and grey and hitting me *shrug*. I figured I should try a noob server so I used the play withsix thingy to find a populated game (40/50).

That game was fun. I spawned and looked to my right and saw a bunch (10-15) faint white dots, moving erratically towards my general area. That didn't seem like it could be a good thing, so I went prone and moved up a small bank to where I could see the road. I don't know if they were zombies or something else, but a large group of humanoids ran past. All I could hear was yakkity-saks for some reason.

Stood straight up and ran up a hill. Eventually found a broken down castle-like structure with I'm guessing a dead player. Picked up his stuff (gun, ammo, small food) and got my first zombie headshot. Then I climbed the broken fortifications only to fall off trying to sit on the edge and work on my shooting. Broken leg. Whoops. Restart!

Pretty fun so far. The biggest problems I am having are the display options. I don't need everything set to "High" on the highest resolution. My n275 can't handle all that, so I turn down the setting and lower the res to something more manageable but then I lose the HUD. I am still getting use to the controls (looting specifically).

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    If you didn't die in one shot, and you heard that shot it wasn't an as50.

If it takes more than one shot, you weren't using a Jacobs!

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I don't get how people have died to glitches so much. I've had dozens upon dozens of deaths and not one was due to bugs. I know that's out of the ordinary, but I just can't see how the majority of someone's deaths could be from glitches unless you're spending your time looking for weird ways to die.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    aaaaaaahhhh mah gaw

I was doing a loop around the airfield and was about to finish off with the last hangar. I pop around the corner, peek inside, and a bandit is standing there with a pistol pointed at me.

...sooo, uhh, after I emptied an entire clip into his unresisting body, ran into the hangar, and emptied another clip into the zombies I pulled, I realized that he was already dead and propped up against the back of the hangar. So no kill. Buuuuuut...he did have an AS-50, Bizon, M9SD, NV, range, a full set of tools (except radio). I basically have everything except a Ghillie.

I've decided that pushing my luck at the airfield at this point would be pretty stupid. It's time to head north. Live off the land. Maybe kidnap a goat to perpetuate the human race or something.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I don't get how people have died to glitches so much. I've had dozens upon dozens of deaths and not one was due to bugs. I know that's out of the ordinary, but I just can't see how the majority of someone's deaths could be from glitches unless you're spending your time looking for weird ways to die.

Do you know what just happened to me? I moved around a rock and it broke my legs. My blood is at -10000 or something.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    I also have never had these problems.

I don't even give a shit about zombies anymore either. Just run through a town, casually glance at shit I can see and get to quickly, then buzz out and lose them through the woods/hills. Staying still for too long means you get shot. Make it to one of the little off shoot towns and run through houses to lose a stray zombie or two.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I am sitting here now watching my blood tick down along with the uncon timer.

• Options
    I hate that. I always just respawn unless there's a chance I'm coming out with 5k hp.

• Options
    I think that if I survive this it will be with about 500 blood.

• Options
    Because fuck trying to do anything without lots of food in my bag and that blurry ass vision.

• Options
    Nope. Woke up at 2K, immediately smashed again, you are dead.

This is your story. The story of I try to make it back to my body in an hour.

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better I was decked out and some schwabs shot my ass off near the helicopter.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I have died many times as a result of a glitch but not by a glitch itself

So I've broken my legs in the middle of nowhere with no morphine because the game decided that I could walk on that rock there but this rock here would be made of leg breaking kryptonite

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    .50s need to not be in the retail game

Or at the very least be so rare as to be effectively useless over a long period of time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Personally I'd be happy with removing all sorts of military equipment like night vision and scopes/snipers.

And make it so I can see at night without a flashlight. Assuming no overcast, it's pretty easy to see at night, even in a wooded area.

I'd also like to see the little bird instead of the huey. Those things are awesome.

• Options
    Speaking of, running a private hive, anyone know how to add them in? I've tried altering the database and making it one of the models but it doesn't appear to work. I assume I need a script to place them server side.

• Options
    ...well, that didn't turn out.

Made it 95% of the way back and got KO'd by a zombie.

• Options
    Love those random hits at 12000 when you get hit once and you break a leg, start bleeding, or get knocked out.

I really hate when I fresh spawn, stumble into a sole zombie, start bleeding, panic because I don't have a weapon, and finally get to a point where I can bandage and I'm now at 7000 hp.

This discussion has been closed.